• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Shadow Men Again, I'm Afraid

sdoig

Junior Acolyte
Didn't happen to me but my 6 year old son.

I was on my laptop on Friday and my son says 'Type in black man and see what comes up'

I asked him why he wanted to look up black men (The town I live in is about 95% white so I thought he was curious about other races!)

He said 'That's what i call him, sometimes when i'm in the kitchen a wee black man runs out the sitting room, stands in the hall ,and lifts his arm up like a wave and runs away again.'

I was naturally curious and tried not to lead him on. I asked if he was '3d' like him ,and he said 'No , flat like an upright shadow' I drew a shadow figure and he agreed with what I drew ,except I gave him fingers and he said he just had a 'round shape' where his hands should be.

He talked to his mum about this yesterday as well, she asked if he had ever waved back to him, and my son said no 'cos I don't know if hes real'

My son does have a good imagination i'll admit, but this has come out of no where. He's easily scared but doesn't seem at all fazed by his encounters!

Yeah...sorry - me being thick! I just deleted that post...
*sigh* I need more sleep.

Yep, I'm his dad!

I'm also pretty thick (not looking for sympathy its just the way it goes) so if my post is confusing I apologise!! :)

Yep, I'm his dad!

I'm also pretty thick (not looking for sympathy its just the way it goes) so if my post is confusing I apologise!! :)

It's OK, it's pretty clear, good story too, there seems to be a phase when we're little where we're more receptive to strangeness, whether it's our brains developing or some outside influence, well, who knows?

Yep, I'm his dad!

You're not thick! Mytho's just a little... tired.

if you can upload at the end of the month thatd work a treat

Hm I can't really offer you advice, I can only say I met them once, and they scared me. Granted I never saw them awake, i only met them in a dream. Now to make things clear, if it is what I think they are they are not black, they are as the poster above describes them creatures that avoid, light, or more likely creatures made of pure darkness rather than black. Now they are not creatures that light avoids them.... that is a different creature altogether, so I guess bright light could keep them away... but I have not tested it. the one time I met them I was so scared I could do nothing but wake up and open the lights. There are some descriptions of these creatures as the shadow men? In my dream, they were definitely more than one and not all of them man-shaped. So its quite possible they describe a different creature.
There are other people that describe that in a pretty similar way.
I would have a talk with your child if I were you. How does he feel about him, Does he scare him as well? does he make his hair stand up and cause a chill go down his spine? that is what I felt when I met that thing. If that is the case it could be a lower world spirit he is seeing so I would try burning some incense in the house before closing the lights and then ask if the man went away. Other than that I am at loss as well maybe someone more knowledgeable would advise.

OK, I refound this thread and thought it was worth a wee update. My son last saw the 'black man' a 'long while ago' My son was sitting on the settee in the sitting room facing the door (which was open) He was sitting next to his Mum. The shadow man side stepped into view in the doorway (which leads to a wee lobby , the kitchen door is to the right, so the shadow man seems to move between the kitchen and the sitting room via the lobby) and raised his hand as per the norm. My son says he lifted his own hand a 'tiny wee bit' (because he didn't want his Mum to see). The shadow man then 'shuffled' out of view and he never saw him again.

This happened last year, but my son remembers it clearly, and doesn't change his story. I stress he never gets scared while telling his tale and certainly didn't find the shadow man remotely threatening (which is nice!)

I just got him to draw a nice wee picture which i'll try and post up here later. :)

picture would be cool ... some kind of infrequently produced shadow effect (car turning corner outside with lights on/house mirror somewhere, somehow) that captured his imagination when younger as he couldnt decode it, to which he attached the black man label, and so thats how he refers to it from then on ?

OK, I refound this thread and thought it was worth a wee update. My son last saw the 'black man' a 'long while ago' My son was sitting on the settee in the sitting room facing the door (which was open) He was sitting next to his Mum. The shadow man side stepped into view in the doorway (which leads to a wee lobby , the kitchen door is to the right, so the shadow man seems to move between the kitchen and the sitting room via the lobby) and raised his hand as per the norm. My son says he lifted his own hand a 'tiny wee bit' (because he didn't want his Mum to see). The shadow man then 'shuffled' out of view and he never saw him again.

This happened last year, but my son remembers it clearly, and doesn't change his story. I stress he never gets scared while telling his tale and certainly didn't find the shadow man remotely threatening (which is nice!)

I just got him to draw a nice wee picture which i'll try and post up here later. :)

Interesting that your son hasn't seen the shadow man since your son waved back at him... maybe that's all the little shadow man wanted, for someone to acknowledge his wave... :)

Back