• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
It's back!
http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/red-dwarf/50584/red-dwarf-xii-the-first-image

Er, in the autumn. Date TBC. That publicity photo raises all sorts of questions, mind you.
An 'everybody's Kryten' episode has been (more than) hinted at since long before the last series. Since the last series (XI) and this coming series were made virtually back-to-back (I believe there was a three week break between the filming of series XI and XII), nobody was sure when, or really whether, it would happen across the two series, and certainly nobody knows how the plot might conjure such a gimmick. One thing's likely; eco-pile and self proclaimed wet liberal Robert Llewellyn, the actor who plays Kryten, probably wishes it had happened in the old days when his make-up was especially uncomfortable and took hours to apply, just so the others could live his hell for a while.

EDIT: Incidentally, the series XI steelbook blu-ray was initially sent in a cardboard sleeve which accidentally displayed the provisional production episode titles of series XII. One of those was 'Siliconia', another was 'Mechocracy'. Those titles were changed even before the mistake, but my suspicion is that one of those was the production title of the episode from which comes the promo pic, probably 'Mechocracy'.

Last edited:
Yes, we are enjoying it too.
Chris Barrie made an amazing Kryten!

I wonder if Hitler was written a much bigger part last week than originally intended? He was very funny and the writers must have thought so too.

We're enjoying the new series.

I'm wondering if the non-British viewers - are there any? - 'get' the various accents.

I do. Some of the slang words and or phrases elude me but I eventually figure them out. I love the show.

I don't know if it was the same for you guys but there were large spaces of time between seasons here in Canada. I decided to binge watch it so I haven't gotten past season 9 yet. The weird thing is that they refer to it in the show as a different season, I can't remember at the moment but it was one season ahead, I think. Anyway, it also seems that I have missed parts because they are talking about Chris having died, I don't recall seeing that.

Sometimes I feel like I missed pieces and then they fill in the missing parts later so, it may be the same thing that's happening here. I just finished watching the one where they come through the TV and discover that they are just characters on a show.

Yes, we are enjoying it too.
Chris Barrie made an amazing Kryten!

I wonder if Hitler was written a much bigger part last week than originally intended? He was very funny and the writers must have thought so too.
I thought Hitler was just marvellous! I'd happily see him turn up in future episodes.

I do. Some of the slang words and or phrases elude me but I eventually figure them out. I love the show.

I don't know if it was the same for you guys but there were large spaces of time between seasons here in Canada. I decided to binge watch it so I haven't gotten past season 9 yet. The weird thing is that they refer to it in the show as a different season, I can't remember at the moment but it was one season ahead, I think. Anyway, it also seems that I have missed parts because they are talking about Chris having died, I don't recall seeing that.

Sometimes I feel like I missed pieces and then they fill in the missing parts later so, it may be the same thing that's happening here. I just finished watching the one where they come through the TV and discover that they are just characters on a show.
What now tends to be referred to as series IX was actually originally a three episode mini-series called 'Back to Earth'. So it goes ...VI, VII, VIII, 'Back to Earth', X, XI, and XII (which is now being broadcast).

Chris/Rimmer is dead from the start. The Rimmer we see is a hologram, which is why he has the letter H on his forehead. It's all explained in the first episode! There also helpful Wiki pages dedicated to each character.

I rewatched the first couple of series not long back--great writing in places, much sharper than some of the lazy jokes they've trotted out of late (still a fan).

Those earlier epidodes were more like Porridge in space.

I rewatched the first couple of series not long back--great writing in places, much sharper than some of the lazy jokes they've trotted out of late (still a fan).

Those earlier epidodes were more like Porridge in space.
The departure of writer Rob Grant after series VI heralded a drop in quality, without a doubt. The latest episode on UKTV Play (to be shown on Dave next Thursday) has been slated by fans, once again prompting the revival of the 'it was so much better when Rob Grant was writing it' discussion on the official website. It's tiresome to see it again, but it's true. Series I and II remain my favourites.

Chris/Rimmer is dead from the start. The Rimmer we see is a hologram, which is why he has the letter H on his forehead. It's all explained in the first episode! There also helpful Wiki pages dedicated to each character.

I am referring to Lister's love, Chris. I don't know how to spell her last name, so, I didn't even try. :)

What now tends to be referred to as series IX was actually originally a three episode mini-series called 'Back to Earth'. So it goes ...VI, VII, VIII, 'Back to Earth', X, XI, and XII (which is now being broadcast).

Thanks. :)

She was thought to be dead by Lister at the beginning og 'Back to Earth', but it emerges she just left because Lister was being a bit of a goit. In series X, there's still the occasional mention of tracking her down. I don't remember any mention of her in series XI, nor has her name come up in the three episodes so far broadcast or made available to stream of series XII. Most of the hardcore fans would be fine if she were never again mentioned or seen. They didn't like her, or at least they didn't like her Chloe Annett incarnation.

Didn't even know it was back! To the website!

That's basically what everyone says to me when I mention new Red Dwarf. The marketing folk should be sacked!

I know! I did hear publicity about the previous series, but this new one passed me by. Thank heavens for online catch-ups.

Didn't even know it was back! To the website!
Do you ever visit the official Red Dwarf website's forum?

I know! I did hear publicity about the previous series, but this new one passed me by. Thank heavens for online catch-ups.
Especially with this series, because the 'catchups' on UKTV Play are a week ahead of the television broadcast.

Never go to the RD forum, no, I'm more of a casual viewer, but I did go to the UKTV Play site to catch up with episode 1 of the new series and they've introduced this thing where you have to sign up to watch it. I'm not giving them my details just for half an hour of TV. I'll wait till Dave shows it again.

Never go to the RD forum, no, I'm more of a casual viewer, but I did go to the UKTV Play site to catch up with episode 1 of the new series and they've introduced this thing where you have to sign up to watch it. I'm not giving them my details just for half an hour of TV. I'll wait till Dave shows it again.

I used to read the RD forum, but only a few threads seemed to be active at any time and the long absences from the screen resulted in fairly desultory conversation.

Apparently, we're getting one 'feature-length' [90min] episode and three hour-long retrospective documentaries on the whole saga.

And, best of all, Norman Lovett is back as Holly.

Hasn't he been "back" at least once before? He and Hatty Hayridge seem to keep swapping.

Hasn't he been "back" at least once before? He and Hatty Hayridge seem to keep swapping.

He did one odd episode after leaving and appeared, am I recalling this correctly, in the rubbish 'Back To Earth' misadventure.

New promo poster is rather nice.

Click for bigness.
ETUGoyXXQAA0j-F.jpeg

He did one odd episode after leaving and appeared, am I recalling this correctly, in the rubbish 'Back To Earth' misadventure.

New promo poster is rather nice.

Click for bigness.
View attachment 24190

I thought that when they relocated Red Dwarf in series 8 and the nano-bots (or whatever) had recreated the "old" ship and crew, Lovett was Holly agan?

I thought that when they relocated Red Dwarf in series 8 and the nano-bots (or whatever) had recreated the "old" ship and crew, Lovett was Holly agan?

You're right.

I was misremembering.

Series VIII was not good and I'm not sure I even watched them all!

Series I to VI: Superb.

After that, it's all hit and miss, but I'm mostly all right with the more recent X, XI, XII. Not 'golden era', but watchable.

Back