• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tarot Experiment Anyone?

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Does anyone fancy trying a Tarot card reading experiment? Just for fun.

I propose getting few people interested, drawing a single Tarot spread completely at random and publishing the results here to look at the basis of cold reading. Obviously real cold reading requires real-time feedback but I am interested to know how many hits I can get on average. Players can score each card as it is relevant to them (or not). The object would be to see how many people out of a group might find the reading significant to them (or not) and find out how effective the reading is on average.

I suggest a simple scoring scheme for each card such as;-

1. No, nothing to do with me.
2. Hmm, can kind of see how it might apply to me but not really entirely relevant.
3. Wow Min, are you really psychic or what?

Then add the numbers up over a seven card spread for a maximum of 21 points and a minimum of 7. Obviously the closer to 21 points, the better the "fit".

Players can choose whether to talk about each card before scoring, to simply give the score for each card or to just give their total score for all cards. That way no-one need give away anything they might find personal if they don't want to.

How does that sound?

Would anyone be interested in playing along?

Okay, here it comes.

I decided to do a 6 card spread instead of a 7 as I figured it might be difficult to grade the future card!

Please grade this statement to make up the extra points:-
0. This reading is pretty heavy in the major arcana, suggesting that something very significant is happening in your life right now.

1. You. This card relates to you and anything that might be on your mind right now. Card = Junon. Junon is most associated with occult knowledge and with what is hidden beneath the surface. She contains her power within herself and uses her abilities for spiritual growth. Junon suggests that you should follow your intuition.
  2. Relationships. This card relates to your loved ones and who is affecting you the most right now and influencing your decisions. Card = King of Cups. The King is a strong mature man and the suit of cups governs our emotions and relates to affairs of the heart. He could be a benefactor, a father figure or perhaps a lover.

3. Money. How your finances are affecting you. Card = Page of Swords. The page is a youthful figure who can be playful but also reckless. The suit of swords governs our intellect. Therefore the page of swords suggests you may need to look at your attitude towards money.

4. Work. Not necessarily your actual job but could relate also to work you need to do around the house etc. Card = The Emperor. The Emperor represents a figure of authority who is firm but fair. On the negative side he can also be dogmatic and refuse to listen to alternative points of view.

5. Health. Card = The Chariot. You are having trouble with your health as it is at the moment and you will need to work hard to beat your problem.

6. Travel. This can be literal or metaphorical, perhaps a journey that you need to make within yourself. Card = Judgement. The judgement card seems to suggest that there has been a satisfying conclusion to something that has happened to you recently and a sense of closure.
A reminder of the grading -
1. No, nothing to do with me.
2. Hmm, can kind of see how it might apply to me but not really entirely relevant.
3. Yes, I can absolutely see that relates to me

Then add the numbers up over a six card spread plus the initial statement for a maximum of 21 points and a minimum of 7. Obviously the closer to 21 points, the better the "fit".

Players can choose whether to talk about each card before scoring, to simply give the score for each card or to just give their total score for all cards. That way no-one need give away anything they might find personal if they don't want to.

My results.
0. Nope. Score 1
1. I would like to think so but no. Score 1
2. Covers a few people! Have to give it a 3.
3. Certainly not. I am very careful with money. I would have to hand in my Scottish badge if I wasn't. Score 1.
4. Hmm, maybe, if I think about it. Score 2.
5. Yes as a matter of fact (nothing serious). Score 3.
6. Don't really know what this card is on about. Score 1.

Total 12.

My results:

0. Not that I am aware of. Score 1.
1. Possibly. Score 2.
2. Doesn't ring any bells. Score 1.
3. I usually take stock of finances at this time of year, there are a cluster of birthdays coming up between now and Christmas (I tend to seriously consider joining the Foreign Legion), so yes, a hit! Score 3.
4. I have worked with people like that in the past, but not currently. Score 1.
5. Yes, ongoing problems. Score 3.
6. Not sure. I have come to terms with a situation but hadn't thought of it as a journey. Score 2.

Total: 13.

0 - 3. There is major upheaval and/or future uncertainty in at least three (maybe more, depending on how you choose to count) significant aspects of my life right now.

1 - 1

2 - 1

3 - 2

4 - 1

5 - 3 (complex dental work is very likely going to be necessary in the very near future *munches ibuprofen*)

6 - 1

Total: 12

1 - 1
2 - 1
3 - 2
4 - 1
5 - 3 - decided over the weekend I really need to lose weight...
6 - 3 - just moved house!

Total - 11

0 - 2
1 - 2 (just started a creative writing course and the tutor is encouraging us to use our intuition)
2 - 0
3 - 2 (recently retired so watching the pennies now)
4 - 0
5 - 3 (old knee injury has flared up again)
6 - 3 (saying cheerio or words to that effect to my old job)
Total - 12

Do you still have time for a late subject on your experiment? :)

1 - 2
2 - 1
3 - 2
4 - 3
5 - 2
6 - 1

Total - 11

0-3
1-2
2-2
3-2
4-2
5-2
6-1

This is a very interesting experiment. I sometimes feel like reading out people the wrong horoscope from the paper to see their reaction, but it feels a bit mean.

I got 12 replies including my own which is great. Thanks again to those who took part.

A few people missed out question 0 so I added up both with and without question 0 and got pretty much the same result.

Over 6 cards, 12 respondents scored 131 in total. This averages out at 10.9 per respondent. A 50% hit rate would have come out as a score of 12 so collectively we scored a little below average.

(Over 7 cards, 8 respondents scored 95 which averages out at 11.9, below 14 average)

This is interesting as I had wondered if the hit rate would actually be higher than average due to excessive generalisation of the cards. Ie. that the cards would fit most people in the same way that a psychic will always come out with the initial J.

That said, the single card with the highest hit rate was card 5, scoring 26, slightly above an average of 24. This was slightly surprising as it was the card telling of poor health. Mind you the seasons have just changed and many of us are past the first flush of youth which could account for it.

The card which I had thought was the most general, card 2, a "strong mature male" associated with a close relationship actually scored the lowest at 17 so a fair bit below average!

So slightly unexpected overall. Fluking a decent Tarot reading appears to be quite difficult. Only one respondent out of 12 scored above average and two scored exactly average (12). All the rest were below.

It'd make a really good experiment with 100+ subjects, perhaps with some other data on the participants, traits or beliefs maybe.

I'd think your sample here was very atypical and small, a cross section of the general population would more likely support your hypothesis.

Can I join.

Pretty please.

INT21.

Back