• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Corpse Mishandling

As far as I know in the UK any precious metals found after cremation are
usually buried in a "secret location".

As far as I know in the UK any precious metals found after cremation are
usually buried in a "secret location".

Yup, at a talk at the local crematorium some years ago I heard that metal, in the form, we were told, of joint replacements, was removed from the ashes by the crematorium workers and buried in the grounds, specifically in a place that only they know about. I've sometimes wondered what that meant. It now all becomes clear!

Stealing a vehicle transporting an occupied casket is a strange crime, but stopping and leaving the casket behind is corpse mishandling ...

POLICE: THIEVES TAKE SUV PULLING U-HAUL WITH A CASKET INSIDE

Police say thieves have stolen an SUV and an attached U-Haul trailer - with a casket inside - outside an Albuquerque motel.

Albuquerque police say the heist occurred early Monday at a Residence Inn and the casket was later found not too far from the site it was taken.

Authorities say the casket contained the body of the victim's father-in-law.

The U-Haul was located after police searched for a black 2005 Chevy Trailblazer SUV with Oklahoma license plates.

Police said the deceased man's daughter and her husband were on their way from Oklahoma to Kirtland, New Mexico, to bury him.

SOURCE: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-09-11-16-30-33

From the comments on another blog:

chuck martel October 15, 2017 at 9:39 pm
What’s the statute of limitations on a grave? If somebody digs up a body that was buried a month ago they’re classified as a ghoul and subject to prosecution. On the other hand, if a body that was interred 900 years ago is dug up the digger is an anthropologist studying the past. Somewhere in that time span there must be a line between grave robbery and scientific study. Or between a dead body and an historical artifact. Where is that line?
Furthermore, the digger evidently must have some credentials that allow him to perform the task, probably issued by the state. Who gives the government the right to authorize grave robbing?

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2017/10/sunday-assorted-links-134.html

I always think it sad that a body as been left undisturbed for hundreds of years then
it's dug up, even though I was involved in exhumations when a grave yard was to be
redeveloped but still feel they should be left in peace.

A shopping centre was to be modernised but a disused church and
grave yard were in the way, relatives were traced and given a choice
of reburial or leave as is, those that could not be traced were left.
Job went on for months mostly under cover of darkness, having to
be done according to the law and with due reverence, it would have
been better tidied up and left as what is there now looked run down
from the day it was built.

This is fairly grim but sounds like the guy's conscience got the better of him after 12 years. From Taiwan.

Dad who killed baby daughter 12 years ago walks into police station carrying her body in bin bag

A distraught father who killed his one-month-old baby daughter has handed himself into police 12 years after her death.

Mr Lin carried the girl's dead body in a washing up bowl, wrapped in a black bin bag which he hid under his bed for years.

He lied to his wife and told her the baby had been taken by his mother, who had forced him to hand her over, so she could bring her up.

The apparent deathbed confession of a former policeman could end a series of unresolved murder cases which have baffled Belgian police for decades.

The "Crazy Brabant Killers",

Moved to Strange Crimes.

Last edited:
Finally an answer?

The apparent deathbed confession of a former policeman could end a series of unresolved murder cases which have baffled Belgian police for decades.

The "Crazy Brabant Killers", as they were known, murdered 28 people in Brussels in a dozen robberies during the 1980s - mostly at supermarkets.

They were never caught. Their ability to outwit police led to conspiracy theories of official cover-ups.

The gang's members were dubbed the "The Giant", "The Killer" and "The Old Man".

Their main target was the shops' petty cash holdings, but they would also spontaneously gun down customers.

Belgian authorities confirmed they were following a new line of inquiry after a man came forward to say that his brother, a former police officer, had confessed to being "The Giant"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41734059?ocid=socialflow_twitter
Where is the corpse mishandling in that story?

Check your charity shop purchases for ashes!

Box of cremated human remains donated to Goodwill
Police in Vancouver, Wash., are trying to track down whoever gave a Goodwill thrift store a wooden box that was found to be an urn containing cremated human remains.

Vancouver Police said they were contacted by a Goodwill employee who was sorting donations and discovered the box was an urn that contained cremains.

The department's Evidence Unit released a photo of the box, which bears the name "Michelle Miller."

Box-of-cremated-human-remains-donated-to-Goodwill.jpg

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/0...?utm_source=sec&utm_campaign=sl&utm_medium=12

I’ve learned a new word: Cremains.

I always thought 'cremains' was a relatively recent neologism, but it turns out it first appeared sometime during 1945 - 1950.

This show proves to be a bone of contention.

An exhibition of preserved human bodies has drawn controversy in Australia this week after an activist group raised questions about the origin of the specimens.

The group of objectors - who include doctors, lawyers and scientists - have called for the exhibition in Sydney to be shut down.

They assert that it may include the bodies of executed Chinese inmates, including political prisoners.

But the organisers of Real Bodies: The Exhibition have strongly denied those allegations, calling them "lies" and "sensationalism".

They say the 20 cadavers were legally provided by a medical university in China, where hospitals had determined them to be "unclaimed corpses".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-43902524?ocid=socialflow_twitter#

Another disturbing case of mortuary misconduct ...

11 infant bodies found in former funeral home's ceiling
State investigators have found the bodies of 11 infants in the ceiling of a former Detroit funeral home, police said.

The remains were discovered hours after state inspectors received an anonymous letter, "detailing the existence or the whereabouts of numerous remains, human remains inside the funeral home" ...

Inspectors of the Michigan Department Licensing and Regulatory Affairs received the letter at approximately 2:30 p.m. Friday, and inspectors went to the Cantrell Funeral Home on Detroit's east side ... The current owner, Naveed Syed, let them inside, and they found boxes and small casket in the ceiling ... Syed, who plans to turn the former funeral home into a community center, said he called police after the remains were discovered.

Police eventually found "11 remains of infants, stillborns" ...

Michigan state cadaver dogs have looked for more bodies, but not have been found any more ...

"We do have names of some of the remains, and we're going to do follow up with medical examiner" ...

State inspectors had shut down the funeral home in April after inspectors found several violations including decomposing remains and "deplorable conditions" ...

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/201...n-former-funeral-homes-ceiling/8281539451509/

It's happened again - again at a funeral home; again in Detroit ...

63 infant bodies found at second Detroit funeral home
The Detroit Police Department said remains of 63 infants or fetuses were found in another funeral home in the city.

Police removed the 63 remains Friday from Perry Funeral Home as an investigation widens after last week's discoveryof 11 infant bodies at now-defunct Cantrell Funeral Home on Detroit's east side. Authorities say the two discoveries are unrelated. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/201...cond-Detroit-funeral-home/1961540050999/?lh=4

Funnily enough I just heard about this story in a Rob Gavagan nee Dyke video, then came here to find Enola got to it in a far more timely manner.

Business info came up on google along with the news story... this should not be funny.

j1MBGgp.jpg

It’s more normally the husband that won’t allow!!! Normally because they seem to hold the purse strings, in a real or psychological mindset.

I can remember a bloke who did fitted kitchens & was asked to come to a house to measure up & quote.

He offered an appointment date & time & the lady calling him said something like:- “Oh! It’s just after my husband ‘s funeral.” He offered another day, but her response was that he wouldn’t let her have a new kitchen when he was alive, so she wasn’t going to hang around now.

Photos allegedly of the body of the late footballer Emiliano Sala have been posted on Twitter;

Emiliano Sala: two arrests after image purporting to show body posted online

Two people have been arrested by detectives investigating how an image purporting to show the postmortem examination of the late footballer Emiliano Sala was posted online, Wiltshire police have said.

Early reports suggested a break-in. However, this may not be the case; could be computer hacking -

A 48-year-old woman from Corsham in Wiltshire was arrested on suspicion of unauthorised access to computer material (an offence under the Computer Misuse Act) and malicious communications, and was released on conditional bail.

A 62-year-old man from Calne was also arrested on suspicion of unauthorised access to computer material, and was released under investigation.

Wiltshire police said: “There is no evidence to suggest a break-in at the mortuary, and no evidence to suggest that any staff from the mortuary, or indeed any other council employees, are involved in any wrongdoing.”

Mods, if I've overquoted, please paraphrase accordingly.

I'm not sure which aspect of this story surprises me more - the alleged* flushing or the fact it led to actionable legal ramifications.

*Note that the news item describes nothing more tangible than allegations.

Man accused of flushing grandparents’ ashes down toilet
Authorities say a western Pennsylvania man flushed his grandparents’ ashes down a toilet after his mother kicked him out of her home.

... Thomas Wells was arraigned Monday on two counts of abuse of a corpse and a criminal mischief charge.

McKeesport police say the 33-year-old Pittsburgh man had been staying with his mother for a brief time before she asked him to leave last September.

The mother told police in February that a relative told her Wells had flushed her parents’ ashes before he left. The ashes were kept in a box in the mother’s bedroom.

Authorities say Wells told his mother he had not flushed the ashes down a toilet.

But the mother says Wells later said he would flush her remains after she dies.

SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/bfb1864b7da147debd8d2b2220542323

Are ashes a corpse? And sorry, but I laughed at the last bit

Back