• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Upcoming Marvel Adaptations

Finally finished Daredevil season 1! It took me ages because I found it kind of boring, I was making myself watch it after about three episodes. It only picked up and realised its potential in the last half hour of the last episode when DD put on the costume and stopped moping. Season 2 is available - is it any better? I know The Punisher is in it, which could make it more interesting.

I think all of the Netflix Marvel-verse series suffer from being two or three episodes too long.
Character development is fine as long as it not just them being miserable.
However DD season 2 does have more ninjas, so there's that...

I've yet to watch Ironfist, so can't pass judgement on that.

And Vincent D'Onofrio in full scenery chewing mode.

Yeah, it's weird; in the Marvel movies the villains are relatively forgettable (bar Loki) yet in the series (Netflix at least), they're more interesting (and, arguably, better acted) than the heroes.

One of my most boring experiences at the cinema as a kid was watching Spider-Man and the Dragon's Challenge. It was a "film" edited from a couple of TV episodes, a double bill with Kirk Douglas's Cactus Jack, which was as hilarious to me as Spidey was tedious.

If Cannon had their way, we would have been given a Spidey movie in the 1980s, only producer Menahem Golan believed the hero was a man who turned into a spider, like a werewolf. Still better than that first Andrew Garfield movie, I'm saying.

With some trepidation I started on Daredevil season 2, and I have to say, two episodes in it's a big improvement. I really like all that musing over what separates the vigilante hero from the vigilante villain, and the action is a lot better. Now I want The Punisher to put on the skull T-shirt, don't tell me I have to wait till the last episode!

My entire life has been made complete:

Last edited:
Saw Doctor Strange on the weekend, now it's on Netflix. Enjoyable. They did a really good job of introducing Stephen Strange as a brilliant, arrogant prick, which he was before the accident. Doing that and not having me hate the character is possibly why they needed Cumberbatch. He does loveable arrogant prick really well. Then again, you could argue that that weakens the impact of him becoming the hero by the end of the film.

But then, you knew that was going to happen anyway.

Also, Chiwetel Ejiofor was great as Mordo, and just renewed my desire for him to take over as Bond. (As good as Idris Elba is, I don't think he's right for Bond, but as discussed elsewhere Ejiofor would be brilliant, and would still piss off the people who don't want a black Bond.)

I've watched it a few times now, there are little bits in time with the drums and the music all the way through it, even the dialogue syncs at one point.

This has some of the best sound design I've ever heard in a trailer. Genius.

I liked the Metallica, but for the first minute or so, I couldn't make out a word of dialogue that was spoken. Looks interesting, though, albeit I'm not convinced it has the legs for a series.

The Punisher's a thin character at the best of times, but I did like the Daredevil S2 version, possibly because they didn't overdo him.

I just watched the new Spiderman movie and was pleasantly surprised. They turned up the comedy in this one, and it didn't just feel like warmed up leftovers. Marvel really know what they are doing.

Anyone watching The Gifted? I see there are complaints it's a Heroes rip-off, apparently from those who don't realise Heroes was a rip-off of Marvel. First episode directed by Bryan Singer. Always good to see Amy Acker's excellent nose, but it is a bit generic so far. Stan's looking well.

Anyone watching The Gifted? I see there are complaints it's a Heroes rip-off, apparently from those who don't realise Heroes was a rip-off of Marvel. First episode directed by Bryan Singer. Always good to see Amy Acker's excellent nose, but it is a bit generic so far. Stan's looking well.

Liked first episode, its promising. City ADA as father of mutants suddenly has to to the other side.

Liked first episode, its promising. City ADA as father of mutants suddenly has to to the other side.

You know, it might be nice to have a basic, unpretentious superhero adventure show from Marvel. We'll see how it pans out.

Unpretentious superhero? How would that work, exactly?

How many mutant shows do they have right now?

I think currently there's The Inhumans too, but I haven't seen that.
Not technically a mutant show. Inhumans have alien DNA due to experimentation by the Kree in our prehistory, while mutants have an "X-gene" identified by Professor Charles Xavier, and represent a natural stage in human evolution. Not sure if there are any mutant Inhumans, or Inhuman mutants, although there are super villains who combine X-genes and Inhuman factors for nefarious purposes.

A lot of comics people are kind of upset that the Inhumans are getting more attention from Marvel than the X-Men, because of the movie and TV rights. So Fox has all the mutant stuff and the Fantastic Four, while Marvel (via ABC, Netflix, and Hulu) have everything else including the Inhumans. So the MCU is using Inhumans as a stand in for mutants, and de-emphasising the X-Men in the comics as well. (And they sidelined the FF for the past year or so.)

Oh, and from what I've seen and heard, the show isn't very good. It didn't look like they had Medusa's hair working in a reasonable way, and from what I've heard I was right. The teleport effect for Lockjaw looks cool, though.

Oh that Bryan Singer who had false child abuse accusations brought against him.

The Bryan Singer who directed the X-Men movies.

Oh that Bryan Singer who had false child abuse accusations brought against him.

I'm sure he'll be delighted that's what you remember him for (!). At least you mentioned they were false.

Anyway, I saw part 2, Jamie Chung goes nuts basically, but nice to see Sharon Gless for about a minute.

Thor: Ragnarok: Great fun, basically an action packed comedy with a dark streak. Odin steps down and his first born, daughter Hela (cate Blanchett) seizes control of Asgard. Thor and Loki unite (sometimes) to battle Hella, with Helmdall (Idris Elba) leading the Resistance on Asgard. Thor is enslaved by The Grandmaster (Jeff Goldblum) and forced to battle The Hulk in the Arena on the planet Sakaar. (The inhabitants of which, especially the scavengers, and their technology is very much Star Wars style.)

Wonderful effects, great battle/combat scenes with superb costumes. The Production Design and Cinematography deserve Oscars. 8.5/10.

Last edited:
Back