• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ooh-Err... Nasty House

My brother-in-law bought a run-down traditional stone farmhouse in Brittany at a knock-down price - in the full knowledge that the previous owner had hanged himself from the rafters in the kitchen. The place has been done up beautifully since - he even has an impressive swimming pool and jacuzzi annex. When invited around for a meal he even pointed out the exact spot the body was found - a creepy talking point for your dinner guests to digest! I must say though that, having spent a fair bit of time there - even sleeping a few times in the vaguely creepy basement bedroom, neither I nor my brother-in-law have ever heard or seen anything uncanny there.

I also had another bizarre experience in a French house which I think I posted a while ago, of experiences when I was 9 or 10 where I could hear an 'adults'' party in the living room (as in cheering and glasses clinking, and a piano) and despite quite thorough investigation for a kid, I think (!) I still can't explain what I heard. And another experience my mother and I shared, in a house where the old lady resident had recently died in an old folks' home, we heard a disembodied woman's voice say 'goodnight' from inbetween our two bedrooms, we asked each other a few times if it was either of us saying it, and it wasn't. Pretty banal I know, but still weird! :-/

No, not banal, it's good to have a spooky story in reserve, you never know when it might pop up in conversation!

Only just stumbled across this thread, what great reading! I thought I would just add my experience here. From the age of 9 I lived in a semi-detached Victorian mansion style house in Middlesbrough. There were three floors, and my 'suite' was right at the top in the old servants' quarters. Ceiling heights were quite low and there was a fireplace inside a walk in wardrobe (left over from when the whole top floor had been made into two rooms at some point before we moved there ).
Anyway, my parents tried to encourage me to use the second room as a playroom but I never really liked being in there, and only really started using it as a living room when I was in my late teens/early twenties and we used to roll in from the nightclub and my friends and I would sit there until the early hours chatting and drinking. I never used to go in there on my own, and always felt that there was something inside the aforementioned wardrobe.
All the time I lived there I slept with the lights on and the door open, because I was scared when I went to bed. I never spent any time in my bedroom unless I was in bed simply because I didn't like the atmosphere. Often I would hear scratching above me in the loft ( of course that could be explained by pigeons or rats ), and on a number of occasion I woke up to find my bed shaking ( could have been waking dream of course ). Our dog would also NEVER go up to the third floor no matter how much your tried to encourage him.
Fast forward to my 30's and taking my bf (now husband) to meet my parents for the first time. My parents had made up my old bedroom and pushed two singles beds together to make a double - this detail will be relevant later. The BF made a couple of trips bringing in our gear, and asked me later me about the other room on the third floor. Apparently he had walked past it and noticed the door was ajar. He knew no-one used the third floor rooms anymore with me having moved out, and was curious as to what was in there. He said he felt that when he had a quick look inside, like he was intruding, and he shouldn't be in there, so didn't spend long in there.
Later that night we were lying in bed, ready to go to sleep. All of a sudden he went "ooooooh that's nice", and when I inquired what was he said " you running your finger up and down my back "........ "aaaaaaaah" I replied, "that's odd because we are both lying back to back and there is no way I could be doing that........".

I once did some work in a old farmhouse that was actually very close to home. Most of the rooms where still decorated in the style of the 1940s and felt, smelt and looked creepy. The worst place in the house was the loft - massive, the odd rat, spiders and old junk. Now when I`d completed my job and turned everything back on we kept getting thumping noises from up in the loft. It was always a couple of thumps/knocks which led me to believe some old pipes where struggling with the new pressure pump. So me and my buddy took turns in trying to sit comfortably in the loft whilst the other turned everything back on. We found nor heard anything and everything went quiet.

Customer comes home after visitng his father in hospital and we told him about the odd noises. He asked us if we had moved that old chest in the loft - we had. We then learnt that the contents of that chest belonged to someone called - old Frederic - and it was placed in the loft because everyone was fed up with the noises that came from it.

Im very glad indeed that I never had to clamber back into the dark spooky loft.

Any X, I'm afraid I can't remember! Sorry :( I think it was near Limoges...

Bah, the place I stayed in was nowhere near Limoges, but thanks for the reply. I wasn't realistically expecting them to be the same house, but you never know. What a coincidence that would've been.

I'm almost wondering if it's worth posting an account of this, as it's so similar to other tales on this thread...but as it's interesting to note that this kind of thing is a kind of thing that happens frequently...and as I have a couple of other quickies to share, I might as well.

Nasty House #1) France, on summer holiday with ex-girlfriend and parents (hers)

Some English friends of theirs had a holiday home in a very rural commune and had kindly lent a set of keys in case we cared to use the place - which we eventually did as we needed beds for the night whilst deciding where to head off next and as everyone fancied a break from sleeping under canvas. The house was a solid rustic dwelling in the village square with wooden shutters typical of the area. All very inviting. We eventually stayed for two nights and on the evening of our arrival had a lively sociable time in the comfortable living room, possibly made friends with the non-English-speaking neighbours (hard to tell), and I had a bunch of fun trying to produce a meal with local ingredients in the pleasant, sunny kitchen. To our surprise, as the late twilight crept in we could even just about recieve the BBC World Service on shortwave, which was broadcasting a John Peel show with Billy Bragg and others in session: very fitting as the locals seemed interested in British folk music and culture. It was a happy house.

We retired relaxed but knackered, with only sleep in mind, but I privately balked at entering the upper storey bedroom we'd selected (it had felt hostile when I'd taken our bags up earlier in the evening but I'd put it out of my mind). Unusually, despite the stifling heat I kept on a pair of lightweight shorts as if to be prepared for a hasty exit during the night. I was edgily uncomfortable, had great trouble sleeping at all and continued to feel observed and resented. Even the great dark wooden bed and imposing wardrobes seemed oppressive, (but this could be down to unfamiliarity, I thought). My gf seemed less bothered.

The next night, after some sightseeing, we had a pleasant evening at the local Café des Sports and Brasserie and all was well with the village, which I'd grown to like very much. It was very quiet and there was an wonderful old monster of a church squatting right on the square where we were staying - what a privilege to be staying there! How relaxed we were! However this time I felt stupidly uneasy about going back to the room, and almost suggested we try to sleep downstairs.

Here's the thing: we both had a horrible night, waking up frequently from identical unpleasant dreams which were abstract enough to make any details hard to grasp, but which were characterised by a sort of distillation of violence and fear and what seemed like murder or assault from a first-person perspective - as opposed to any distinct narrative. I certainly woke up shouting at least once. Then when I awoke for the final time in daylight we were both lying flat on our stomachs with our hands on the pillows - which neither of us ever did, and I have certainly never done since. I'm aware that that last detail sounds like something from The Amityville Horror book, but there it is.

I'm unclear wether the original owners had any 'problems'.

Nasty House #2) Scotland, a few year earlier on family holiday

Rather cinematically we eventually found our holiday let (before civillian GPS) way after dark in the middle of an October Bank Holiday rainstorm (think Withnail and I's holiday arrival). To me, this was all very exciting, just like moving into any unexplored holiday home. It was a funny old place: a rambling single-storey farmhouse or mill cottage adjacent to some very boggy ground leading to a dilapidated boathouse and jetty on the edge of a loch - in fact you were almost knee-deep in the loch as soon as you went round the back of the property. There was an iffy looking rowing boat there, which my Dad and I nearly killed ourselves in, but that's not a very Fortean story, more a lesson in respecting Nature and her weather.

Anyway, I wasn't a lad to be spooked by these creaky old places; we'd toughed it out in several, including a spooky big old manor house with mysteriously unused rooms and a secret staircase and everything - which I couldn't get enough of. But I was inexplicably frightened of the bedrooms in this house - even the one that I was to share with my grandad - and especially dreaded having to go in there on my own to put my pyjamas under the pillow or whatever. Nothing occurred save for a persistent feeling of unease, but my mother admitted when we'd returned home that she'd HATED the house straight away and explained that was why she'd refused to go into their bedroom and some other rooms on her own, even during the day. To her credit she hadn't admitted this to anyone but my Dad at the time so as not to completely ruin the holiday for everyone, but she was clearly miserable there and had behaved oddly. She has form with this kind of thing, for example on first visiting the house where she lives now instantly seeing herself going up and down the staircase many thousands of times in a split second as if from some outside observation point.

I've looked the house up on TripAdvisor etc and no one has complained of any uncanny feelings as such, but holidaymakers always seem to be very unhappy and depressed there. Someone commented to the effect "Don't ever book this cottage, it is uninhabitable", but possibly that's just because it's been neglected to the point that it's begun dissolving into the swamp that surrounds it.

Nasty House #3) London, until not very long ago

Long story short: often, as a bolt hole after working long into the night, I used to stay in a tiny bedroom at the rear of an unusual old building that virtually coexists with the Victorian railway bridge that looms over it - the two structures having apparently fused in what order I cannot say. Anyway, I sometimes felt very uneasy in this little cell as if watched / not wanted...the usual stuff. Someone who had also used the room made an odd remark about it which prompted me to refer to it as 'the haunted room', after which it just became a joke.

Theory: Massive great railway barely overhead taking everything from passengers to freight to nuclear waste in the dead of night (oh yes) - therefore infra sound could be the explanation.

Edited due to many, many typos.

Last edited:
My job at the farmhouse actually left me with a phobia of wooden chests for quite some time. Even today if I come across one I`ll move on - not wanting to tempt fate :)

Perfectly reasonable. I used to know someone who's the same with rocking chairs. You can probably guess the back story :eek:

An end-of-terrace house that we rented. It had been extended to the rear - a new kitchen with bedroom above it, and to the side, to form a garage with bathroom above. Looking back, there was nothing obviously wrong, but I could never get up the stairs quick enough after locking the door and switching off the light. Unconsciously, we spent the majority of the time in the kitchen or the bedroom.

My mother-in-law came to stay, and slept in the spare room - the old master bedroom. She awoke one night, face down, apparently pinned down by a dog standing on her, a foot on each shoulder and two in the small of her back. She repeated the Lord's Prayer until the sensation faded.

My first child was conceived in that house, and should have been born there, but due to a series of misunderstandings and miscommunications, she ended up emerging into the world in hospital, after a traumatic and almost certainly unnecessary series of interventions. I still wonder now and then whether there was indeed a malign presence in the house, and if this affected the birth of my daughter: I know we had plenty of our own anxieties to wrestle with.

Ive worked in many empty houses over the years and its weird in how entering one can often alter your mood. Its almost as if a cloud or memory lingers there that is embedded in the floors, walls and air. Ive gone into a few and soon afterwards Ive not felt happy. In some cases its felt like someone or something is still present in the house and its not a nice feeling.

I went to one in an old mining village and the journey had seen me singing my head off to the radio as I drove there. Not long after starting my work I went to one of the empty bedrooms and began bleeding the radiator. Its then that the room itself seemed to feel different, almost as if something bad had happened there.

I've been reading this thread with interest. I'd say I'm a non-believer in the afterlife but I have had an interest since childhood. The only reasonably odd thing that has ever happened to me that I have not been able to explain was maybe twelve or thirteen years ago while living in the north west of England. I had recently moved into a large flat in an old building. The ground floor had four flats then on my floor there was just one very spacious one and then another flat in the attic. The entrance to my flat and the attic one was via metal fire escape steps at the back of the building. We had our own front door there then a corridor leading to my flat's front door and also a locked door leading to steps up to the attic flat. The ground floor no longer had a staircase.

Anyway I enjoyed living there and never felt any foreboding. However the tenant upstairs used to slightly annoy me by pacing up and down above my bedroom for about 30 minutes every Friday night (I can't remember the exact time but around half one I think). I'd never seen the tenant but based on the fact his post never seemed to be collected during the week (our post was posted through the first floor front door's letterbox.) I presumed perhaps he worked away all week then returned home of a Friday evening or something.

Anyway after living there for only three months or so I got a letter saying the flat had been sold, would be converted back into a house and so I had to move out within three months (the lease had been for six so I guess they couldn't have kicked me out earlier). It took me a while finding somewhere else to live and during the last month or so the ground floor was gutted as the tenants had moved out and work began. During all the time I lived there I noticed the tenant upstairs never took any official looking letters. Bills and anything from the letting company would always be left there. A few weeks before I eventually moved out I looked at another flat the letting agents had. While looking I mentioned to the woman from the letting agency that the tenant who lived above me hadn't taken his letter yet and does he know he has to move out and by a certain date? She replied that it's okay as he moved out two weeks ago. It was a day or two later that the thought occurred to me that I'm sure I heard those footsteps last Friday night. Fast forward a day or two later to Friday night and I'm lying in bed. Sure enough footsteps again. The sound of footsteps going back and forth above my bedroom. The thump of each foot and the creaking of the floorboards was quite clear.

I guess it could just be that he'd kept a key and maybe still had belongings there or something but I have to admit I never knew what to make of it all. I don't believe it was anything supernatural but don't really believe it was the previous tenant at all. I'd seen workmen going up there the day before and I imagine that meant they'd have already been gutting the place. I can't imagine he still had belongings there or a reason to be there. Unless he'd lied about moving out or the woman from the letting agents was mistaken.

Anyway I never felt anything living there. Or anywhere else I've lived for that matter. But those footsteps that Friday night had me lying there at about 27 years of age with my head under the duvet.

I guess this doesn't fit that neatly in this thread but it didn't seem to fit anywhere else any better either.

I've been reading this thread with interest. I'd say I'm a non-believer in the afterlife but I have had an interest since childhood. The only reasonably odd thing that has ever happened to me that I have not been able to explain was maybe twelve or thirteen years ago while living in the north west of England. I had recently moved into a large flat in an old building. The ground floor had four flats then on my floor there was just one very spacious one and then another flat in the attic. The entrance to my flat and the attic one was via metal fire escape steps at the back of the building. We had our own front door there then a corridor leading to my flat's front door and also a locked door leading to steps up to the attic flat. The ground floor no longer had a staircase.

Anyway I enjoyed living there and never felt any foreboding. However the tenant upstairs used to slightly annoy me by pacing up and down above my bedroom for about 30 minutes every Friday night (I can't remember the exact time but around half one I think). I'd never seen the tenant but based on the fact his post never seemed to be collected during the week (our post was posted through the first floor front door's letterbox.) I presumed perhaps he worked away all week then returned home of a Friday evening or something.

Anyway after living there for only three months or so I got a letter saying the flat had been sold, would be converted back into a house and so I had to move out within three months (the lease had been for six so I guess they couldn't have kicked me out earlier). It took me a while finding somewhere else to live and during the last month or so the ground floor was gutted as the tenants had moved out and work began. During all the time I lived there I noticed the tenant upstairs never took any official looking letters. Bills and anything from the letting company would always be left there. A few weeks before I eventually moved out I looked at another flat the letting agents had. While looking I mentioned to the woman from the letting agency that the tenant who lived above me hadn't taken his letter yet and does he know he has to move out and by a certain date? She replied that it's okay as he moved out two weeks ago. It was a day or two later that the thought occurred to me that I'm sure I heard those footsteps last Friday night. Fast forward a day or two later to Friday night and I'm lying in bed. Sure enough footsteps again. The sound of footsteps going back and forth above my bedroom. The thump of each foot and the creaking of the floorboards was quite clear.

I guess it could just be that he'd kept a key and maybe still had belongings there or something but I have to admit I never knew what to make of it all. I don't believe it was anything supernatural but don't really believe it was the previous tenant at all. I'd seen workmen going up there the day before and I imagine that meant they'd have already been gutting the place. I can't imagine he still had belongings there or a reason to be there. Unless he'd lied about moving out or the woman from the letting agents was mistaken.

Anyway I never felt anything living there. Or anywhere else I've lived for that matter. But those footsteps that Friday night had me lying there at about 27 years of age with my head under the duvet.

I guess this doesn't fit that neatly in this thread but it didn't seem to fit anywhere else any better either.

Nicely written story thanks for that!

Well this has been quite a night last night. Another building recently gutted and refurbished has 3 staff on duty over night. The front foyer is secured by a swipe access only, The next door is swipe access with only myself having one access swipe and the senior staff member having the only other card. This means that the senior staff member has to let people in and out of the main building to the front foyer. This door leads to another swipe access door meaning this corridor is secured by a swipe access door at each end and takes about 5 seconds to walk from one door to the next. Once through this third door you are in the main work area.

So to recap the foyer and the main work area are connected by a short corridor with two secure doors at each end.

I was paged around 01:30 in the morning. (I'm the senior guy on this campus during the night), The senior staff member stated that she was with her junior colleague in the main work station. Her colleague, looked up from her desk saw a figure behind the door of the secure corridor, throught the door window. Initially she thought it was a reflection of her supervisor, who was bending down behind the desk so it was impossible it was her. The 3rd worker was through several doors in the opposite direction and never leaves that area. The JC, (junior colleague). Looked up and the figure had vanished. She descirbed seeing the top half of a possibly female figure in pastal green who was turning away from her, in the complete darkness of the corrdior, just some slight illumination of the exit sign.

They both, ( the JC and The Sup), checked the CCTV for the corridor which was in pitch darkness and noticed the screen started to break up and random flashes of light appear on screen. Everything from the foyer to that corrdior was in darkness and the lights are all motion-sensor.

Remember only I had access to that corridor yet I was in another building a mile and a half away and the other swipe was on the Supervisor outside the corridor sitting in the main work station. If it had been a person the motion sensor lights should have picked it up and switched on.

I got down there 10 minutes later, I managed to catch some of the random colours and a couple of odd flashes but nothing else. I can't rewind the CCTV - this has to happen when the building security dude returns after the holidays. I'll let you know if we see this figure in pastel green. We did a sweep of the corrdior and the rooms on it, all were locked and like I say nobody has access to this corridor apart from me and the supervisor. That corrdior is 100% secured and neither of the two doors had been opened according to the door log by either swipe until I came in.

Lots of random bangings have been heard but not an apparition until now.

Last night I was again in this building, I unlocked and locked two doors as I made my way through the deserted section of the building. The staff I visited were all locked away and don't leave their area, they are based a few minutes walk away and behind the two locked doors, which I'd just come through.

As I approached the final two doors that lead to the outside I distinctly heard two females chatting behind me from the corridor which curves out of sight which I'd just come from. I couldn't make out what they were saying and I switched on my torch as the corridor was in darkness.

I went around the curve of the corridor to the door which I had just moments ago locked and there was nobody there. If anyone had followed me through I would have heard that door being unlocked. Also why didn't they just ask me to wait for them to come through as they would have seen me unlock and lock the door?

Mind you when I locked that door I never saw anyone following and I did look.

Last edited:
Last night I was again in this building, I unlocked and locked two doors as I made my way through the deserted section of the building. The staff I visited were all locked away and don't leave their area, they are based a few minutes walk away and behind the two locked doors, which I'd just come through.

As I approached the final two doors that lead to the outside I distinctly heard two females chatting behind me from the corridor which curves out of sight which I'd just come from. I couldn't make out what they were saying and I switched on my torch as the corridor was in darkness.

I went around the curve of the corridor to the door which I had just moments ago locked and there was nobody there. If anyone had followed me through I would have heard that door being unlocked. Also why didn't they just ask me to wait for them to come through as they would have seen me unlock and lock the door?

Mind you when I locked that door I never saw anyone following and I did look.
Without going into too much detail, what's the history behind your place of work? Or is it mentioned upthread somewhere?

I was born and grew up in a town called Middleton - near Manchester England. my parents still live in the same house that we moved into on my 10th birthday (we lived around the corner before this). Anyway, years later me and the wife bought and moved into, with our 7yr old daughter, a house across the road from my parents about 65 yards away, bare with me here! Now this house had always been occupied by the same lady since it was first built in the mid 1950's, a nice old lady who kept herself to herself - she was also a friend of my mates mum.
When we bought the house however, she had been dead for just over four years, having died peacefully in hospital - the house standing empty since.
We moved in, did lots and lots of work on the house and never had any issues, until......
One night my wife had been out with her friends, coming home at silly 'o clock' and sat downstairs eating some takeaway food (i have always been a light sleeper particularly when waiting for someone to come home). Well i could hear chatting downstairs so knowing she was home safely i settled down to go to sleep. After some considerable time the chatting was still going on but a bit louder, so i thought before 'they' wake my daughter as well- i'll go and quieten them down a bit. I got downstairs to find my wife on her own???
me "who you talking to?"
wife "lucy"
me "lucy?....where is she?"
wife "ooh.. i dont know?"
me "err ok. she must have gone then?"
wife " err yeah" (puzzled/pissed!)
me "well come on and come to bed"
Day after i asked her about the night before and what had happened - she couldn't recall any of it
Now the weird bit was, the lady who had lived in the house before us was called.... yep... LUCY.
My wife had never known her, and to my knowledge we had never discussed her before? (possible obviously) but it was a truly strange experience all the same

Without going into too much detail, what's the history behind your place of work? Or is it mentioned upthread somewhere?

Not keen to go into details. Part of the building is probably 30 years old and was refurbished around 20 years ago. The other part refurbished a couple of years ago. The building has had a few deaths.

Not keen to go into details.
No, of course not it's understandable.
It's just those curving corridors you mention. I can't recall ever having been in a place like that. If there are locked doors at either end and - I'm presuming - no windows, then it must get really claustrophobic walking along them.
At least with normal corridors you can stop and peek around a corner, but if it curves then you really have 'nowhere to hide', so to speak.
If you ever get too freaked out you could always practice sprinting along them.

Mention of 'curved corridors' leads me to think...is it possible that the peculiar acoustics are making the sounds bounce around, creating all kinds of harmonics and sibilants that seem like speech?

The building has been retrofitted over the years, hence some of the curves and odd angled corridors. It contains two teams of staff at each end of the building that don't meet, it's pretty much two seperate buildings.

It was definitely speech, it sounded like two youngish women, talking as if they were walking quickly one said something the other replied and they both laughed, then it stopped. The most normal thing in the world apart from it was in a corridor shielded by some heavy duty locked doors and I was the only person in that part of the building.

During the day it contains offices and meeting rooms but is completely empty at night and the only reason I was there is that it's the only way out.

I double-checked as no one apart from me should have had any business being there.

No, of course not it's understandable.
It's just those curving corridors you mention. I can't recall ever having been in a place like that. If there are locked doors at either end and - I'm presuming - no windows, then it must get really claustrophobic walking along them.
At least with normal corridors you can stop and peek around a corner, but if it curves then you really have 'nowhere to hide', so to speak.
If you ever get too freaked out you could always practice sprinting along them.

It's a similar building but not the same building as the one I wrote about for the first time on this thread. This building is the one were a staff member thought she saw someone in pastal green through a door. The other building where I sometimes have to go in and turn the lights off is different.

You can't run very far in the "voices" building as the corridors are split up by several heavy locked fire doors. During the day these are open on magnetic locks and it's not claustrophobic at all.

The voices/pastal figure building has two departments that are connected by a foyer but are essentially seperate buildings and the departments have nothing to do with each other.

Are there air ducts/vents in the curved corridor? Maybe sound coming from there?

The campus has been quite of late. Still I left my office building, (small place with half a dozen rooms), to do my rounds and came back into the building and noticed that a small interview room door was open.

Now I do an environmental security check on the place as we have some sensitive information and I'm 99% sure I didn't miss it. It's also impossible to walk along the corridor of my office as its immediately on your left and not notice that the door was open. Impossible. I had to pass it to leave the building.

Thing is I'm only at this office probably about two months during the year and this is about the 3rd time I've come across this door open.

Whilst I'm writing this I just heard the random crash again which I was just about to tell you about I heard it a couple of days ago.....

Hmm time to grab the torch and have a look around.

It's always been a weird little building to work in but has been largely "quite" for awhile. Recently I've been based there more often.

Anyhow the other night at around 23:45 I went to the loo in the building which has a staff shower and a long rectangular seat in the shower that can, with difficulty, be moved to an upright position. There it was in an upright position which I've never seen before. Thinking nothing of it I locked up went around the campus and due to a couple of colleagues asking if they could "just pick your brains for a minute" didn't get back to my office until around 02:30.

In this role I'm sort of a site manager/trouble shooter. Most of the time I'm largely sitting around and waiting to be called, some nights you won't even get a call

So settling in I fired up my tablet, had a cup of tea and ate a light "lunch" of Spanish butter bean stew. I was halfway through the film Jarhead, eyes a bit droopy when I heard a massive bang, it was 03:29.

Now I hear weird noises here a lot but I was convinced someone had come in, (they aren't supposed to), so I got up to find out what was going on or give out a bollocking and checked the front door. The whole building is pitch black so I turn on my torch. The main set of light switches are in the mini-reception which is locked so I never bother to turn the lights on apart from staff toilet, my office and staff kitchen.

The door to the building was locked so there was no one in the building with me. I went back to my film and later, (04:10ish), I went to the toilet and it was then I noticed the rectangular shower seat was now down.

I was pretty amazed and tried to move the seat up and down. That required a lot of effort. I managed after several attempts to replicate the bang I heard earlier. What got me was the amount of physical force it took to pull the seat down to the sitting position and the force required to reproduce the bang itself.

I don't think anyone apart from an adult male or fit adult female could have pulled it off.

We are half a mile away from a public road, so not a vibration, there was no freak earthquake, (I've been in a few, wrong part of the world), no wind at all - a lovely still night.

I spent about 10 minutes messing about with it but I still cannot understand how it got from an upright to a horizontal position with such force.

edit for clarification: when I got back at 02:30 the seat was still in an upright position as I went to the loo on return due to too much tea being drunk.

Also I'm the only person who has any business being in that building during the night.

Last edited:
@Naughty_Felid, I recall you saying that you need to be somewhat discreet about your workplace. Is there anything you can share about the history of the place without giving too much away?

It's not an old building and the land itself was to my knowledge not built on before.

Possibly best not to give too much away nor probe unduly, enough about the possible character of the place can be gleaned from what's written already.

Turning to a different place - from which we might possibly draw parallels?

http://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/ghosts-glasgows-royal-infirmary-been-12036528

My mother worked there (she was a Nurse and later Nurse-Tutor) for many years. Archie, the Grey Lady and the floating sister were tales I heard as a child. I've been in the 'inner bits' of the hospital many times , sometimes late at night. It is quite an 'atmospheric' place. - I even had quite a confusing 'moment' once myself whilst sitting waiting to be treated after a car accident; but I put that down to shock.

What's interesting is that it has 'new' parts to what is a very old building... Some circa 40 years old, some a little younger. It's said that these are almost as 'active' as other parts of the building; having their own particular set of spooks!

A few years ago, my wife and I were House-hunting. Over a period of around 6 months, we must have visited over twenty properties; Most of which were perfectly nice, just not what we were after.

Then there is the house that we both know as ‘the death house’. The house itself was a 1970s bungalow with large windows and big bright open rooms. The house had been stood empty for some time and was part way through a renovation. The walls had all been replastered and it had new wooden floors throughout. Only the kitchen was left to be done.

The moment I stood outside the front door, I knew I didn’t want to go in. The estate agent opened the door and I was overwhelmed with a stench that I can only describe as ‘death’. It wasn’t a rotting smell, or a damp smell, it was a dry, desiccated musty smell that made me want to gag. The smell was accompanied by an overwhelming feeling of oppression and being smothered. I followed my wife and the estate agent into the house, where neither of them seemed to acknowledge anything untoward. We were given the tour by the estate agent and then taken into the back garden to see the bungalow for the outside. I couldn’t wait to get some fresh air. When my wife and the estate agent went back inside, I stayed outside for a few more minutes, plucking up the courage to go back in. When I did the feeling hit me again immediately. I seem to remember just shaking my head at my wife and her nodding in agreement. We thanked the estate agent and beat a hasty retreat to the car.

On getting into the car, my wife immediately commented on the horrible atmosphere of the house as soon as she had walked in. And that she hadn’t mentioned anything out of politeness to the estate agent. Neither of us could believe that the estate agent didn’t feel it too. Although with the number of properties they visit, maybe feelings like that become second nature.

We did mention to the estate agents later when they asked for feedback, that they needed to do something about the smell if they wanted anyone to buy the house.

It could have just been the horrid smell that gave off the bad atmosphere, but to give us both that feeling of death and oppression; it gives me the chills just thinking about it now.

Mark

A few years ago, my wife and I were House-hunting. Over a period of around 6 months, we must have visited over twenty properties; Most of which were perfectly nice, just not what we were after.

Then there is the house that we both know as ‘the death house’. The house itself was a 1970s bungalow with large windows and big bright open rooms. The house had been stood empty for some time and was part way through a renovation. The walls had all been replastered and it had new wooden floors throughout. Only the kitchen was left to be done.

The moment I stood outside the front door, I knew I didn’t want to go in. The estate agent opened the door and I was overwhelmed with a stench that I can only describe as ‘death’. It wasn’t a rotting smell, or a damp smell, it was a dry, desiccated musty smell that made me want to gag. The smell was accompanied by an overwhelming feeling of oppression and being smothered. I followed my wife and the estate agent into the house, where neither of them seemed to acknowledge anything untoward. We were given the tour by the estate agent and then taken into the back garden to see the bungalow for the outside. I couldn’t wait to get some fresh air. When my wife and the estate agent went back inside, I stayed outside for a few more minutes, plucking up the courage to go back in. When I did the feeling hit me again immediately. I seem to remember just shaking my head at my wife and her nodding in agreement. We thanked the estate agent and beat a hasty retreat to the car.

On getting into the car, my wife immediately commented on the horrible atmosphere of the house as soon as she had walked in. And that she hadn’t mentioned anything out of politeness to the estate agent. Neither of us could believe that the estate agent didn’t feel it too. Although with the number of properties they visit, maybe feelings like that become second nature.

We did mention to the estate agents later when they asked for feedback, that they needed to do something about the smell if they wanted anyone to buy the house.

It could have just been the horrid smell that gave off the bad atmosphere, but to give us both that feeling of death and oppression; it gives me the chills just thinking about it now.

Mark

During a visit to a hospice I got that feeling, not the smell, but the very clear feeling that death had been there hours before. A weird feeling on the back of the neck and a tangible oppressive feeling.

I actually felt like I wanted to spit, even though there was no taste or smell.

I have seen and dealt with several dead people and have seen people die but never had this experience before.

I get what you mean.

A fair few years ago me & my ex went to a stately home / museum in the north east (Preston Park) it's rumoured to be haunted (grey lady I think & a dog).

Anyway we walked around the place & it was quite interesting. One room (upstairs) contains the painting the dice players https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/the-dice-players-57518
By Georges de la tour. The painting is very dark & to 'set' the mood the painting is in a small room with no light just the painting on the wall (it does look good)

As we approached the room I felt 'uneasy' & me & my ex walked in, I felt really uncomfortable as if someone was in the room & didn't want us there, the feeling built up to the point I said to her 'I've got to get out of this room' so I stood outside, my ex (she thought it was funny) didn't feel a thing walked around the room & went as close to the painting as possible.

It was definately a feeling someone didn't want me in there & wanted me out of there ASAP a feeling of nastiness, dread & was just not nice.

Fascinating thread -- thanks to everyone who has posted a story.

Back