• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Ha, caught up with the whole of this first half of Discovery s1. At first I found it a bit dry, but once Harry Mudd staged his attack I thought it finally got into gear, time travel usually makes a good episode and although it was reminiscent of a ST:TNG episode (starting by blowing up the ship), that was good too. Klingons still a boring race, but the news they'd eaten Michelle Yeoh made them a bit more interesting (if less admirable). Decent cliffhanger too. On the whole, a big improvement on the yawnfest that was ST: Enterprise.

Sorry, I thought everyone had caught up by now, I'm usually the last one to the party in these things. I didn't give away too much, but will say it looks like the second half in January...

...looks like they're turning the show into ST: Voyager.

I'm always behind with TV too...ony seen the first episode. #2 tomorrow (Monday is University Challenge and Star Trek night).

Sorry, I thought everyone had caught up by now, I'm usually the last one to the party in these things. I didn't give away too much, but will say it looks like the second half in January...

...looks like they're turning the show into ST: Voyager.
I don't think they will, but we won't know for sure until it airs.

I'm surprised that Discovery didn't get more flak. It was ok but pretty disjointed and I'm really not sure if half the cast is going to work out.

Most TV shows hit their stride by season 3 if they are not a 1 series pitch, so I hope they can pull it all together a bit more.

edit: Also I can't get this phrase out of my head when I see him.

20g89i.jpg

Last edited:
I did see somebody online wondering why all the characters acted like arseholes...

I did see somebody online wondering why all the characters acted like arseholes...
Could be the influence of the inexplicably popular Battlestar Galactica. That series quickly degraded into a bunch of selfish goits overreacting to everything.

Some interesting title suggestions in the comments

Star Trek: Quentin Tarantino has pitched idea for new film
Quentin Tarantino might embark on a mission to direct a Star Trek film for Paramount.
star-trek_153.jpg

NEWS
Simon Brew
Dec 5, 2017
Following last year’s Star Trek Beyond, Paramount Pictures quickly confirmed that it was looking to make another movie in the series, this one originally set to bring back Chris Hemsworth alongside Chris Pine. But it seems as though progress has been relatively slow, with no sign of the movie roaring towards the screen.

But a surprise name may now be in the frame for the next Star Trek film. Although it won’t be a surprise if you’ve read the headline to this article, of course.

Quentin Tarantino – who is prepping his next movie, to release in August 2019 – has come up with an idea for a Star Trek feature, one that he pitched to movie series producer JJ Abrams. Abrams appears taken with it too, and the next plan for the next Trek feature is to put a writers’ room together. That room will hear the Tarantino idea, and the door it open for him to direct the movie if it all comes together. How Tarantino feels about his idea going before a writers' room we don't know. Can't imagine it's his ideal plan.

etc

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/...entin-tarantino-has-pitched-idea-for-new-film

Could be the influence of the inexplicably popular Battlestar Galactica. That series quickly degraded into a bunch of selfish goits overreacting to everything.
The premise of Battlestar Galactica was that the people portrayed were just those lucky enough to be left alive after a near extinction event, and inevitably, a good proportion would have been twats, so it makes sense.

The premise of Stark Trek is that the crew are the "best of the best", so it's incongruent when they behave like twats.

The premise of Battlestar Galactica was that the people portrayed were just those lucky enough to be left alive after a near extinction event, and inevitably, a good proportion would have been twats, so it makes sense.

The premise of Stark Trek is that the crew are the "best of the best", so it's incongruent when they behave like twats.

Yeah but a lot of the "best of the best" in a lot of fields are twats as it often needs that psychopathic edge to get to be the best.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-psychopath-means/

He did talk about wanting to do the TNG episode about the end of the war with the klingons. Perhaps he can tie it together with Discovery.

PLEASE STAND BY looks interesting, a young lady who's also autistic enters a contest to write a winning Star Trek script and meets a cop who can talk Klingon ... sounds weird in a Bubba Ho Tep kind of way ..

That's because it wasn't a real red shirt. It was a gold one painted red.

Actually one of the things I like about Scotty, is how, especially in the first season, he's essentially one of the ship's systems. Take "The Galileo Seven". Spock is in command, and based on the information Scotty gives him about the state of the shuttle, he determines that some people have to stay behind if they're to have any chance of escape. Everyone goes mental at Spock, calling him inhuman, cold, callous, etc. Scotty is saying exactly the same thing, and no-one says anything about him at all.

Another example, during "The Naked Time", Scotty is the only one of the command crew unaffected by the virus. He spends the entire episode cutting into Engineering with a phaser to take it back from the guy who's barricaded himself in there. Everyone else is affected in some way (except maybe Uhura, although she does feature in Sulu's turn), but not Scotty.

Unfortunately, at some point they decided he needed more speaking parts, and to get involved in all the dramatics going on. He's still essentially a part of the ship, but it's never really the same.

Unfortunately, at some point they decided he needed more speaking parts, and to get involved in all the dramatics going on. He's still essentially a part of the ship, but it's never really the same.

Wolf in the Fold is one of the weirdest bits of TV ever, the one where Scotty is assumed to be Jack the Ripper. It's absolutely ridiculous and ends with everyone on the Enterprise getting stoned.

Oh and Tarantino is insisting on his Star Trek being R-rated. Obviously this is fine because kids have always hated Star Trek and wouldn't want to see it.

Back