• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Upcoming Marvel Adaptations

A friend of mine would pay good money to see that

I think Mrs. Heckler would pay folding money to go to the cinema just to watch Tom Hiddleston wrestle Benedict Cucumberpatch for a few hours.

The Punisher arrived in his own show today on Netflix. I watched the first episode, and it wasn't too bad, a bit of depth before he reverted to psychopathic murdering type. No jokes, though. Thirteen episodes still seems a bit much for these Marvel things, though, Agent Carter got it right (and was, er, cancelled).

The Punisher is a good series, if a bit long winded. These Netflix series do suffer from too much stuffing, but overall I enjoyed this more than any of their Marvel efforts besides Daredevil and Jessica Jones. However, no part of the character's solo outing was as brutally cool as his ordeal in the second season Daredevil episode 'Seven Minutes in Heaven', which seems to me something of a disappointment. Lots of cool moments, but somehow nothing which raises the character's signature violence to that level.

Liked the use of electric blues in Punisher, and the inclusion of Tom Waits' Hell Broke Luce in the scene where...hell breaks loose.

Bit of a trope where a guy loses his way in life and grows his hair and beard. I just bet there's going to be a scene where he shaves it all off, prior to going absolutely effing mental on some lowlifes asses.

Just binge watched the series. A lot of talk but not much in the way of punishment (but when there is it's pretty brutal). But I did like it and hopefully a second series will be on the cards.

I have seen Thor : Ragnarok, and I had a distinctive feeling of a waste of time. A mere comedy, a poor man's Guardians of the galaxy, when it should have been a movie about Loki's treachery seen at the end of Thor 2 and the destruction of Asgard, with ties to the coming Avengers movie. Instead, what was purported to be the main pot (after all, it is still titled Ragnarok!) is moved aside, never mind the great performance of Cate Blanchett as Hela, to be replaced by a moderately good comedy revolving around a semi-adaptation of Planet Hulk (not the storyline that was the most in the need of being put to the screen) under the auspices of the Grand Master. There lacks a good synergy between Thor and Hulk/Banner, the Grand Master is a shame and cannot stand as a replacement for Hela, Jeff Goldblum is given the same awful look than was Benicio Del Toro as the Collector (which shows that it is a deliberate artistic choice from the MCU writers ; so, please, no more Elders of the Universe!). Hiddlestone's Loki is still much fun, but has become predictable.
This the problem, the movie is paroting unimaginatively the recipes that had worked for the previous Marvel movies.Ah, and the end (set on Asgard, at last ! - but too late) is dashed of, the last ascene being a plagiarism from Message from Space.
It seems that the MCU has reached its limits.

Which appears to be confirmed by the end of season 4 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., an attempt to give a very different side of Marvel, significantly darker and more sophisticated. But which fails too to deliver the promise, full with shortcomings and implausibilities.

Looks like the biggest superhero cast with the smallest amount of dialogue each.

I've been fairly positive about most of the MCU films, but I do think that maybe Infinity War is a bridge too far. Or, I suppose, A Bridge Too Far, with a massive cast full of stars all fighting for screen time.

Actually, A Bridge Too Far handled it pretty well, but I'm not confident that Infinity War will.

I hope it will be good, I'll settle for OK, I'm dreading "meh".

I have seen Thor : Ragnarok, and I had a distinctive feeling of a waste of time. A mere comedy, a poor man's Guardians of the galaxy, when it should have been a movie about Loki's treachery seen at the end of Thor 2 and the destruction of Asgard, with ties to the coming Avengers movie. Instead, what was purported to be the main pot (after all, it is still titled Ragnarok!) is moved aside, never mind the great performance of Cate Blanchett as Hela, to be replaced by a moderately good comedy revolving around a semi-adaptation of Planet Hulk (not the storyline that was the most in the need of being put to the screen) under the auspices of the Grand Master. There lacks a good synergy between Thor and Hulk/Banner, the Grand Master is a shame and cannot stand as a replacement for Hela, Jeff Goldblum is given the same awful look than was Benicio Del Toro as the Collector (which shows that it is a deliberate artistic choice from the MCU writers ; so, please, no more Elders of the Universe!). Hiddlestone's Loki is still much fun, but has become predictable.
This the problem, the movie is paroting unimaginatively the recipes that had worked for the previous Marvel movies.Ah, and the end (set on Asgard, at last ! - but too late) is dashed of, the last ascene being a plagiarism from Message from Space.
It seems that the MCU has reached its limits.

Which appears to be confirmed by the end of season 4 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., an attempt to give a very different side of Marvel, significantly darker and more sophisticated. But which fails too to deliver the promise, full with shortcomings and implausibilities.
I pretty much agree with all the points you make except I really enjoyed the film and am looking forward to seeing it again.:)

I've been fairly positive about most of the MCU films, but I do think that maybe Infinity War is a bridge too far. Or, I suppose, A Bridge Too Far, with a massive cast full of stars all fighting for screen time.

Actually, A Bridge Too Far handled it pretty well, but I'm not confident that Infinity War will.

I hope it will be good, I'll settle for OK, I'm dreading "meh".
I can virtually guarantee that with Infinity War, as with Age of Ultron, everyone will moan about but I'll still like it enough to watch it several times.

I think there are too many characters involved in this movie now. I get it's the culmination of the infinity stone arc of the MCU, and they want to make everything that's come before relevant, but the possibility of messiness is high.

spiderman homecoming....i really enjoyed most of it, but the school scenes dragged, i am so far away in time from teenage crushes they hold zero interest for me, but the worst part of the movie was the theme music at the beginning, i started singing "spiderpig" and was humming it all through the movie. dam that homer!!!

After eight episodes of being OK-ish, The Gifted got a bit more interesting with episode 9, although Amy Acker is still basically playing Dr Beverly Crusher. But the stakes were raised and I'm interested to see what the season finale will be now. Also, is it my imagination or are certain actresses' costumes getting a lot more cleavage-y as this has gone on? Always looks a bit desperate, that. But anyway, a proper storyline is emerging, though with producer Bryan Singer's "troubles" I wonder if it will be back next year?

The Gifted, well, back in the New Year, and it went a bit Walking Dead there, maybe there's hope for this yet.

I'm going to see Black Panther tomorrow, I'll report back on any fights.

Racist trolls are saying Black Panther fans attacked them. They’re lying.
In these polarized times, reverse image search is your friend.

By Aja Romano@ajaromano Feb 16, 2018, 3:30pm ESTSHARE
At this point in the story of the internet, it’s essentially routine for trolls on social media to capitalize on news events to spread fake, racially motivated, or anti-progressiverumors. This fake trolling has the effect of distorting reality, catering to middle America’s worst fears about people of other races and political beliefs, and making progressive political movements seem more extreme than they actually are.

And now, it could have an effect on the opening-weekend box office for Marvel’s long-awaited Black Panther.

Black Panther is a joyous game changer for Marvel[/paste:font]
On social media, racist trolls are currently attempting to fake a battle that isn’t happeningby stealing photos, many of assault victims, from various parts of the internet and claiming they’re evidence of attacks by black moviegoers during Thursday night showings of Black Panther.

In one tweet, Twitter user Hardcorial stole selfies which were shared online in 2016 by a woman attempting to speak out about her abuse. The Twitter user claimed to have been “brutally attack” [sic] by “black thugs” while attending, “because they said whites weren’t allowed to watch the movie.” This never happened.

Another troll used a screencap of actor Steven Yun in a scene from The Walking Dead:

View image on Twitter

https://twitter.com/WHIT3IV3RS0N_/status/964359800602607616
.@WHIT3IV3RS0N_

My friend and I went to the #BlackPanther premier and he was brutally beaten for “not belonging there” by an angry group who did not have tickets. Very sad, night ruined

4:44 AM - Feb 16, 2018

The images being used to perpetrate the hoax occupy a wide range. One troll tweet used a random clip of K-Pop group BlackPink; another used fictional images from a 2013 Serbian video meant to raise awareness of domestic violence. ...

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/2/16/17020230/black-panther-movie-theater-attacks-fake-trolls

Poor Ramon, he were a good lad. But looking on the bright side bono has already agreed to play at the memorial gig and I am getting my people to speak to geldof's this morning

If you're going to start a fight, the least you can do is put on a superhero costume first.

Poor Ramon, he were a good lad. But looking on the bright side bono has already agreed to play at the memorial gig and I am getting my people to speak to geldof's this morning

Farmers will likely provide a guard of honour at my funeral.

I still haven't seen it yet, so I can't comment on the film, but the red carpet at the premiere was awesome.

A slightly less than successful attempt to get two seats for the price of one
Two kids dressed as a tall man to get into “Black Panther” is caught on video
Elizabeth Vale, 2018-02-17T18:46:16+00:00">February 17, 2018 1:46 pm" style="box-sizing: border-box;">February 17, 2018 1:46 pm

Two kids decided they wanted to go to the new Marvel superhero film “Black Panther,” but they didn’t want to pay for two movie tickets, so they tried to dupe the movie theater’s manager.

The two young men went to the theater disguised as one “tall man” under a trench coat, but unsurprisingly, their plan didn’t work. However, despite their unsuccessful attempt to save on movie tickets, they have gone viral on Twitter thanks to their hilarious antics.

A Twitter user going by the name of Pillsbury tweeted a video of the charade, captioning it, “We tried getting the two for one special at black panther. The manager was not having it.”

etc
https://rare.us/rare-humor/two-kids...to-get-into-black-panther-is-caught-on-video/

Black Panther: To the outside world Wakanda is a struggling country, caught in the past, dependent on agriculture with little to export. Little does the West know that in fact Wakanda is an advanced technological society, its industry and wealth built on the Alien metal Vibranium. The Black Panther gets his power from a flower grown in soil tainted by Vibranium ore. (This being an Absolute Monarchy only he gets to ingest the flower. Don't ask this is comic book territory).

Following the death of King T'Chaka in the attack on the UN, T'Challa ( Chadwick Boseman) the Black Panther prepares to assume the throne. The kingdom maintains agents (War Dogs) in the outside world, one of whom is Nakia (Lupito Nyong'o), T'Challa's ex-lover, who is currently undercover fighting slavers. This allows BP to show off his powers in a fight with the slavers aided by Nakia and Okoye (Danai Gurira) leader of his female Special Forces, the Dora Milaje. The DM protect the Royal Family and Wakanda from internal and external attack (and presumably disembowel any uppity oiks who are looking for an elected president and parliament).

T'Challa and his sidekicks return to Wakanda for the Coronation ceremony where he has to take a potion stripping him of his powers before any possible challenge. He is challenged by M'Baku (Winston Duke), leader of the Mountain People. T'Challa triumphs and allows M'Baku to live.

But there is a lost Prince of Wakanda on the loose abroad, N'Jadaka (Michael Jordan) AKA Killmonger. This Prodigal Prince teams up with the murderous Ulysses Klaue (Andy Serkis) a B List Bond Villain. They loot/liberate museums in search for Vibranium and N'Jadaka returns to Wakanda to challenge T'Challa for the throne.

Wakanda is a beautifully imagined country surrounded by mountains and rain forest, hidden by shields which cloak the true nature of the country. Challenges for the throne take place at the edge of magnificent waterfalls, top class CGI for the most part. Apart from it's War Dogs occasional interventions, Wakanda has stayed aloof from the struggles of the oppressed. N'Jadaka wants to change this by sending advanced weapons abroad. Civil War ensues, with even Vibranium clad rhinos involved.

The Wakandan technology ranges from dragonfly like attack craft to maglev trains and photon/energy powered Vibranium weapons. There is a vast subterranean cavern complex where the manufacture and R&D takes place. Chief Scientist is Shuri (Letitia Wright), T'Challa's teenage sister.

In supporting roles we have Angela Bassett as the Queen Mum, Forest Whitaker as Zuri, a wise old Counsellor and Martin Freeman as CIA agent Everett Ross. Ross is the butt of jokes as M'Baku roars: "Silence or I'll feed you to my children! Only Kidding, we're vegetarians!" Shuri comments: "another broken white boy to fix". as Ross arrives for medical treatment.

This film works on several layers with the spectres of Colonialism, Neo-Colonialism hanging over the action sequences. The meaning and natures of International Solidarity is also examined but sadly the anachronism of an Absolute Monarchy existing in an advanced Technological Society is left unquestioned. Good fun though. 8/10.

Does it have anything besides the visuals? I never found Black Panther's powers interesting.

Does it have anything besides the visuals? I never found Black Panther's powers interesting.

Its an interesting tale, the two princes/kings with different views on what part Wakanda should play in the outside world. Well choreographed fight scenes both on the skirmish and battle scale.

The Atlanta airport (much of the movie was filmed in Atlanta) tweeted out this picture.

DWb8HyrVwAA_fkv.jpg

and are having fun with it:
https://twitter.com/ATLairport/status/965736386618904581

Back