• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
It's spreading!

Not Bardabunga, but VWD (Volcano Watch Disease).

One of my mates visited yesterday and I showed him the link, and he just dropped me a text calling me out for putting VWD in a kinda stuck tune loop for him, lol.

I tell ya man, it's like a horror film!

It's throwing rocks right now. Will perhaps explode?

Japan volcano: 30 hikers feared dead on Mt Ontake

Rescuers have found 30 hikers in critical condition, feared dead, near the peak of Mount Ontake, after Saturday's sudden volcanic eruption.
The hikers were not breathing and their hearts had stopped, reports said. Final confirmation of death in Japan always comes via a medical examination.

About 250 people were trapped on the slopes, but most have got down safely.
The volcano, about 200km (125 miles) west of Tokyo, erupted at about noon on Saturday, spewing ash and rocks.
Ordinarily it is a popular place to see autumn foliage.

Japan is one of the world's most seismically active nations but there have been no fatalities from volcanic eruptions since 1991, when 43 people died at Mount Unzen in the south-west.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-29399306

Bardarbunga is slowing to a halt.

The Villarrica volcano in southern Chile on the other hand is erupting for the first time in 30 years. 3000 people have been evacuated in the area close to the volcano.

Last edited:
First photographs emerge of new Pacific island off Tonga
Three men scale peak of new one-mile island off Tonga which is believed to have formed after a volcano exploded underwater and then expanded
By Jonathan Pearlman, Sydney
11:28AM GMT 11 Mar 2015

The first photographs have emerged of a newly formed volcanic island in the Pacific Ocean after three men climbed to the peak of the land mass off the coast of Tonga

...Lots of photos...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...s-emerge-of-new-Pacific-island-off-Tonga.html

The Aso volcano in Japan has woken up.
Someone has put up a live feed on Youtube just in case it erupts.

I had to check out on the internet why you posted that sticked out tongue.
Yes, you decoded my message correctly! ;)

When I was growing up, WWII was very recent in most people's memories, and it often cropped up in films and comic books. At that time the Japanese were still remembered as the Yellow Peril of the war years, and characterised very stereotypically - usually wearing thick-lensed glasses, and frequently saying Ah so! (or perhaps Ah so?)

So I was amused to learn that Japan has a volcano called Aso! (Part of me is a schoolboy who never grew up!)

Are you sure the Japanese weren't calling the Westerners a bunch of ah-sos?

"Ahh so!" was usually accompanied by a putting your fingers to you the corner of your eyes and pulling them slightly to denote the fact you where Chinese or Japanese, you would then bow when saying it.

My Kiwi wife also remembers doing this as a kid even though we grew up on different sides of the world.

It was I guess derogatory, but we never really thought so. We had Mr Chow Mein from Benny Hill at the time, who spoke funny even though the character was far brighter the British interviewer and usually showed him up.

South Park has carried on this tradition.

The other thing was the Karate chop from Miss Piggy "Hi-Yah!"

Last edited:
We had Mr Chow Mein from Benny Hill at the time, who spoke funny even though the character was far brighter the British interviewer and usually showed him up.
Thanks for that clip - I'd not seen it before, and it made me LOL!

Anyway, to get back on thread, I see Mt Aso is still erupting...

Aso! :D ROFL... ;)

Last edited:
I think there was a classic moment where Hill's Chinese character asks a politician if he has difficulty with elections.

I've met quite a few Japanese people, and I've never heard one say 'ah so'.

Maybe they never did. Or maybe they just wanted to say 'Oh, really?', but found 'so' easier to say in English.
As I said, this all stemmed from WWII stereotyping.

The Aso volcano is once again going active...

Last edited:
A volcano on Iceland, the Eastern Skaftá river cauldron is waking up. The ice sheet above the volcano is melting and will create a big flood.

The melting of the ice sheet can be followed almost live here(updates every half hour):
ska2_cauldron_gps_hlaup.png

Japan's Sakurajima volcano due for major eruption within 30 years, say scientists

One of Japan's most active volcanoes is due for a major eruption within the next 30 years, say scientists who have studied a build-up of magma there.

The Sakurajima volcano on Japan's Kyushu island poses a "growing threat", researchers at the University of Bristol say.
The volcano, located 49km (30 miles) from the Sendai nuclear plant, is also close to Kagoshima, a city of 600,000.
Sakurajima's last deadly eruption was in 1914, when 58 people died.

The Japanese archipelago, which sits on the Pacific "Ring of fire", has more than 100 volcanoes. Sakurajima regularly spews ash and there are many small explosions there each year, with the latest eruption being in February.
It is closely monitored by Japanese authorities and one of two volcanoes at Level 3 out of 5 levels in Japan's volcanic warning system, which means that people are warned not to to approach the volcano.

"The 1914 eruption measured about 1.5km cubed in volume," said the study's lead author Dr James Hickey, who has now joined the University of Exeter's Camborne School of Mines.
"From our data we think it would take around 130 years for the volcano to store the same amount of magma for another eruption of a similar size - meaning we are around 25 years away."

A report on the activity of the volcano was published on Tuesday and teams from Bristol University and the Sakurajima Volcano Research Centre took part.
Their research showed that 14 million cubic metres of magma is accumulating each year, enough to fill London's Wembley Stadium 3.5 times over.

They added that the rate at which the magma is accumulating is faster than it can be expelled in its regular smaller eruptions, which led them to infer that a major eruption is likely in the next 30 years.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37358316

The Colima volcano in Mexico is about to erupt. Here's a live webcam. Includes sounds from the living room of the webcam host.

Last edited:
Some trivia - "ah so" is what Mr. Spock said in the Japanese dubbed versions of Star Trek instead of "it's logical".

On the subject of at least textbook Japanese, sou ka and sou desu and such: http://www.punipunijapan.com/japanese-phrases-sou-desu/ where "aa, sou ka" is something I've heard; but mostly the 'aa' is more like an "um" or "uh" sound that isn't necessary to the phrase, like 'eto' and 'ano sa', that you might hear if someone is thinking up their sentence. Writing it as "ah, so" is really outmoded and entirely improperly spelled; also I'm pretty sure that over time, as in any language, what's used changes, so I'm not sure it's common now, and of course whether that was ever common or not, I don't know.

On the subject of at least textbook Japanese, sou ka and sou desu and such: http://www.punipunijapan.com/japanese-phrases-sou-desu/ where "aa, sou ka" is something I've heard; but mostly the 'aa' is more like an "um" or "uh" sound that isn't necessary to the phrase, like 'eto' and 'ano sa', that you might hear if someone is thinking up their sentence. Writing it as "ah, so" is really outmoded and entirely improperly spelled; also I'm pretty sure that over time, as in any language, what's used changes, so I'm not sure it's common now, and of course whether that was ever common or not, I don't know.

I came by this piece of information in a book called Letters To Star Trek, published back in the 70's, I think. The letter was written by a young ST fan from Japan, IIRC. So whether or not it's correct, I can only vouch for what was written in the book!

Rare glimpse at erupting volcano for Navy helicopter crews from RNAS Culdrose at Helston in Cornwall
By G_WIlkinson | Posted: March 21, 2017

Royal Navy helicopter crews from Cornwall caught a glimpse inside the fiery heart of an active volcano while they were out hunting an 'enemy' submarine.

As Europe's tallest active volcano Mount Etna spewed its flow of lava, the crews from RNAS Culdrose were searching the sea in the shadow of the mountain on a Nato submarine hunting training exercise.

After their successful mission to find and destroy the Spanish submarine, which was 'playing the enemy' in the training exercise off Sicily, the helicopters from 814 Naval Air Squadron, also known as The Flying Tigers, flew past Mount Etna. They were able to captured imagery of the erupting volcano on their infra-red cameras (Wescam), which are normally used to search out enemy contacts at night.

Etna%202.jpg

An infra-red camera image of Mount Etna where heat shows up white, showing the super-hot gases and lava flow from the volcano. Picture: Royal Navy

As a red glow could be seen from Mount Etna behind him, Commander Brendan Spoors, the commanding officer of 814 Naval Air Squadron, said: "Royal Navy aviators and engineers from 814 and 829 Naval Air Squadrons are monitoring the situation carefully after the recent eruption. Our Nato hosts in Sicily are giving us the most up to date information regarding the meteorological conditions that may affect our Merlin helicopters and they have a wealth of experience in this matter as you would expect. Incredibly, some of our crews caught today's eruption on our infra-red cameras while they were out hunting submarines under the shadow of Etna."

etc...

http://www.cornwalllive.com/rare-gl...-in-cornwall/story-30217593-detail/story.html

Statistics which are bound to be useful in a table quiz some day.

Building on existing information and databases relating to volcanic fatalities, scientists from the University of Bristol have, for the first time, been able to classify victims by activity or occupation and look at the distance of their death from the volcano.

It is hoped the findings, published recently in the Journal of Applied Volcanology, will help increase our understanding of volcanic hazards and the subsequent threat to life.

A tenth of the world's population lives within the potential footprint of volcanic hazards with more than 800 million people living within 100 km of active volcanoes.

Between 1500 and 2017 more than 278,000 people met their fate as a result of volcanic hazards – on average that's about 540 people a year.

Volcanoes produce numerous hazards which affect different distances, in both times of eruption and when the volcano is quiet.

During this research Dr Sarah Brown from the University of Bristol's School of Earth Sciences and colleagues, updated previous databases of volcanic fatalities by correcting data, adding events and, crucially, now including information on the location of the fatalities in terms of distance from the volcano.

The location of fatal incidents was identified from official reports, volcano activity bulletins, scientific reports and media stories.

Nearly half of all fatal incidents were recorded within 10 km of volcanoes but fatalities are recorded as far away as 170 km.

https://phys.org/print426501202.html

Live webcam from Mount Agung which is erupting these days.

When I was in high school any years ago, I took Russian, and the teacher also was fluent in Mandarin Chinese. One of the students asked him about 'ah so' being Chinese and his response was that it was an abortion of Japanese. So it seems to have been a common stereotype.

Anyway, back to volcanos: I like to go to google earth and I found something curious on Bouvet Island (yes; the Bouvet Island that figured so prominently in my thread on phantom islands). Bouvet is a dormant volcano, and it is uninhabited. I noticed what appeared to be smoke, ash or some such thing. That made think the volcano had activated, but when I checked the Global Volcanism site, the last eruption was about 2000 years ago.

Could it have been discolored clouds or something? It seem unlikely that an eruption could have been missed. Bouvet is 54 South 3 East.

Back