• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Protopterygotes / Sky Rods / Sky Fish

Waylander28 said:
Myabe you should delete Mr Carsons Message too, as this is confusing not to find the messsage you posted which gave the link to this thread, with which Mr Carsons message was relating to.
That I cannot do, having renounced my Modly powers long ago.

(When I was a Mod, I did try to trim merged threads of superfluous material, and then 'bump' them so everyone knew about the merger.

However, many people objected to that, for various reasons - a Modly lot is not a nappy one! 8) )

rynner said:
That I cannot do, having renounced my Modly powers long ago.

(When I was a Mod, I did try to trim merged threads of superfluous material, and then 'bump' them so everyone knew about the merger.

However, many people objected to that, for various reasons - a Modly lot is not a nappy one! 8) )

Well then, I guess my next suggestion of deleting the entire thread, owing to the conclusion, that Rods themselves are a non-existent entity, rendering this entire thread "superfluous" in itself! ;) Is out of the question! :p

My apologies on learning you have lost your Modly Crown! ;)

Flying rods are still a Fortean phenomena, even if only an accidental artefact of digital imaging. They have become part of the popular folklore and deserve a Thread, if only so that people new to the subject can look them up and find out about their probable true nature.

On a recent b3ta QOTW concerning paranormal phenomena, a poster mentioned that a 'shopped photo of his was displayed on an early 'Rods' website as proof of their existence for quite some time.
They seem easy to fake, probably because nobody originally knew what they should look like. :lol:

rods ? ....

Were did the rod,s go, You know whose things what shoot across the sky but you can only see them when you slow the film down. Were they FAKE or were they just INSECTS going across the camera len,s ....

They were indeed various winged insects (moths especially) flying past the camera. There's a site devoted to this somewhere, with videos and shots.

The site was taken down because it was conclusively proven that "rods" were just insects in flights. The better digital cameras became, the more the whole thing was debunked.

The original "rods" guy was at least honest enough to admit as much.

Now they have a scientific name?

Cod-science, WRT the name ;)

I think there's a thread somewhere that discusses them. They're an artefact of camera technology.

That's a nice little coinkidink, I was trying to tell a friend about these the other day. My bro-in-law is a big believer in them and I hadn't heard of them before - or since - he told me about it several years ago. Funny they should come up in a convo this week :D

This thread is now full of information on flying, or sky, rods. I've combined several old threads on the subject, going back all the way to August 2001.

Enjoy.

P_M

General consensus was that they were a pixelated artifact, made by digital cameras snapping insects, or birds.

wow

a good response fortean folks and others, well having read people’s views on the subject I would like to pose a couple of things to ponder, ok the whole digital technology failing to capture fast moving objects is I fear the most logical explanation, however digital technology could also be the reason we are now picking them up.
this poses the question of what possible life form could they be and if a life form from where they derive their energy, someone mentioned photosynthesis, nice idea, energy from the sun, however I feel it couldn’t produce enough energy needed for such speed through an atmosphere and a marine environment (buildings and people!).
the cilliated membrane of bacteria and some algae I hear what you are saying and yes it has a similarity, relative or convergent, you decide.
it seems to me that anything moving that fast through an atmosphere would attract a great deal of static electrical charge, not usually considered nourishing but nature has had a way over the years of evolving species to exploit any energy source, recent troglodyte discoveries, snotites, black smokers and let’s see what is found in lake Volga, which has been isolated for a very long time with little nutritional input no day light and more than a little chilly, but bet your boots something will be swimming or crawling around.
someting interdimentional, now thats a thought it would explain passing through stuff though.
It needs some good old analogue technology running alongside digital and at the same speeds. I’m not entirely sure about any explanation, so will keep an open mind, oh I’m glad to say the subject wasn’t stimulated by sky, i think i would rather buy a muck donalds than subscribe to do business with someone like him!

People used film for years and didn't spot this phenomenon. Then, when digital video came along - voila! it appeared.

Yep, same case with some UFO phenomena. Add to that the fact that, if such things were really flying around, none so far seemed to have hit anything and gotten squished, etc....

Jerry_B said:
Yep, same case with some UFO phenomena. Add to that the fact that, if such things were really flying around, none so far seemed to have hit anything and gotten squished, etc....

...unless they were quite amorphous in structure. In which case a squished one might just resemble a damp patch on the ground. All speculation of course, but fun nonetheless. :)

There are all kinds of sky creatures if you look in super slow motion.
This one looks like a tobacco leaf. Remember wet leafs don't fly and dry leafs don't bend

Some make 270 degree turns.
The above video has 9 or 10 segments with the critter really putting on a show.

see the main one at 51 seconds in.

To think the Sky has been devoid of life for Billions of years is ludicrous.

There are all kinds of sky creatures if you look in super slow motion.
This one looks like a tobacco leaf. Remember wet leafs don't fly and dry leafs don't bend

Some make 270 degree turns.
The above video has 9 or 10 segments with the critter really putting on a show.

see the main one at 51 seconds in.

To think the Sky has been devoid of life for Billions of years is ludicrous.

What are we supposed to be looking at other than clouds?

At 19 seconds in the sparrow fluffs up his feathers...
Something very small and fast comes right up to him.
All Sky Creatures don't have to be big do they?

I have been videoing them for years.
Cloaked and fast moving ones.
You need to slow down the video to see.
To think the sky has been devoid of life is ludicrous

At 19 seconds in the sparrow fluffs up his feathers...
Something very small and fast comes right up to him.
All Sky Creatures don't have to be big do they?
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure about the quality of this evidence. I see a bird fluff up its feathers for a second. To go from that to 'it fluffed up its feathers because of a mysterious flying animal that we can't see' seems to be a leap.

I talked to bird experts... The Sparrow was scared.

This video shows a fast moving speck. Going from left to right.
Up and down, not at all like birds I have videoed at that distance.

I talked to bird experts... The Sparrow was scared.
I've been a birder for 40 years and see nothing in that video to indicate fright; if a small passerine bird was scared, it would take flight.

This video shows a fast moving speck. Going from left to right.
Up and down, not at all like birds I have videoed at that distance.
All I can see is another insect flying across - no reason to suspect anything unusual.

Back