• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Inside No. 9

That second twist caught me so off guard I didn't get it at all. Anyone adept in the use of spoiler tags care to explain?
Still enjoyed the show though.

I thought...

Gene Hunt had joined their merry band to avoid being murdered. The potential for making money was too strong.

Now you're making me doubt myself! Reece Shearsmith is on Twitter if anyone wants to clarify?

I did think that would be it but
I couldn't help thinking of the many opportunities he must have had to get away in the meantime. Unless they found out whatever it was he didn't want his kids babysitter to find. I'm over-analysing it now.
Still enjoyed it though.

You can tell the actors are relishing the material, not a mumble in earshot.

Yeah, really nasty! So sharp it would cut itself (or someone, anyway). I forgot to look at the highlighted word at the end because I was distracted by... the other thing. Anyone catch it and be able to tell me?

Yeah, really nasty! So sharp it would cut itself (or someone, anyway). I forgot to look at the highlighted word at the end because I was distracted by... the other thing. Anyone catch it and be able to tell me?

Oh. The answer to that is doubly good.
the highlighted letters read R I P N H S

This ended last week on a cracking Agatha Christie-style horror, exactly what they're good at, but if you missed the earlier episodes from previous series, BBC2 are repeating them in the same 10pm Tuesday slot. Or maybe you want to watch them again to spot things you missed, that's OK too.

The 12 Days of Christine. Great to watch that again. Knowing the end, it was great to see the skill in the slow unveiling.

Not even Google can find this thread - spent the last 5 minutes searching!

Anyway, here's an Adam Buxton podcast with interviews from Steve and Reece:
http://adam-buxton.co.uk/ad/2017/10/13/podcast-ep-52-steve-pemberton-reece-shearsmith/

They were plugging the new series of The League of Gentlemen (on at Christmas) and had some interesting things to say about the characters, like Barbara or Papa Lazarou and how acceptable they are now - but didn't give much away otherwise.

Anyway, the good news is that there's a new series of Inside No. 9 already filmed! It'll be on in the New Year, and they're planning a series after that too. They made the point that anthology series are in vogue right now and naturally claimed all responsibility (!).

With a thread title "Inside No. 9", I thought it was a behind the scenes look at Plan 9 From Outer Space. Boy, was I disappointed...

League of Gentlemen returned to our screens last night. The shop owners are back and are operating - you guessed it - from inside No 9.

League of Gentlemen returned to our screens last night. The shop owners are back and are operating - you guessed it - from inside No 9.

I saw that! I wonder how much persuasion was needed by one pair for the other pair to include that?

New series from 6th January :yay:

These League episodes have been utter genius though, especially tonight's not-remotely-subtle political innuendo. Also, I may have actually wet myself a bit at the 'wife-mine' line.

I too enjoyed the new LoG series, seems to be set for a follow-up too (presumably in another ten years). Loved the Thief of Bagdad reference! And Les finds happiness at last! Inside No. 9 will do in the interim.

Love the new League episodes, absolute genius.

The dementia storyline epitomised their mastery of the comic/tragic gut-punch, the No.9 reference had me grinning like a loon, and the railway platform ending raised a tear in my eye.

Did anybody else spot the clue in the photo booth? People I've spoken to didn't see it but I thought it was pretty obvious.

Love the new League episodes, absolute genius.

The dementia storyline epitomised their mastery of the comic/tragic gut-punch, the No.9 reference had me grinning like a loon, and the railway platform ending raised a tear in my eye.

Did anybody else spot the clue in the photo booth? People I've spoken to didn't see it but I thought it was pretty obvious.

Indeed I did. The align your eyes and mouth template was instantly recognisable as the black and white minstrel from hell himself, Papa Lazarou!

Superb mini-series. Laugh-out-loud funny but dark as hell too.

While I’m still trying to get Krampus out of my head from ages ago, this series continues to deliver. To say anything more about Cheese and Crackers would give the game away but it was a great half hour of TV by guys who really know how to hit the notes.

They should be forced at gunpoint to turn out one of these every week year upon year.

Oh yes, that was brilliant.

One of Shearsmith's characters in Psychoville actually did a Tina Turner impression using a stocking mask and pingpong balls for eyes. It was approximately 75,000 times funnier than it sounds.

I wondered if that was a Little and Large reference, Eddie dressed up as Tina once. As savagely lampooned by The Mary Whitehouse Experience ("You're not Tina Turner! Eddie... Eddie... Eddie..."). Also they famously fell out, though I doubt they'll be getting back together.

There was even a Cheese and Onion reference! They really know their stuff.

The only thing that slightly marred it for me (and I'm being really picky here) was that the time-frame didn't quite ring true.
Assuming the characters were in their fifties, they would've been in their twenties during the 1980s (as they appear on those excellent promo sheets), and I can't remember any creaking variety acts of the time being that young. It would've been more realistic if the actual episode was set in, say, the late nineties?

Hey, a horror one to end this series on, excellent! These guys don't forget their roots! The Monkey's Paw is a design classic, but this brought it right up to date. And there's a fifth (!) series to come next year.

Hey, a horror one to end this series on, excellent! These guys don't forget their roots! The Monkey's Paw is a design classic, but this brought it right up to date. And there's a fifth (!) series to come next year.

Also, didn’t they hide a silver hare ornament among the props of the last series?

Back