• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Crimes

On the other, er, hand, on Radio 4 today - Hello! Is it me you're looking for? - The art of greetings

Former diplomat Andy Scott has greeted people in more than 60 countries, and he's written a book about his experiences called One Kiss or Two? The origins and psychology of greetings provide a rich subject and by the end of the programme they may all even reach an agreement about how many times to kiss..

Various forms of greetings are discussed, including one where a man visiting a village for the first time will find the highest-ranking man and present his penis to be rolled gently in the Top Bloke's hand.

Various forms of greetings are discussed, including one where a man visiting a village for the first time will find the highest-ranking man and present his penis to be rolled gently in the Top Bloke's hand.
Bet they don't get many visitors.

Churchwarden and a magician involved!

Church warden lodger, his brother and a magician friend are arrested over the murders and defrauding of a village novelist, 69, thought to have been killed by 'alcohol intoxication' in 2015 and his elderly friend, 83, who died 18-months apart
  • Former teacher Peter Farquahr, 69, died at his home in Buckinghamshire in 2015
  • Two years later his neighbour Ann Moore-Martin died in similar circumstances
  • Police arrested three men in connection with the 'double murder' investigation
  • The cause of death of the man who died was given as 'acute alcohol intoxication'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...public-school-teacher-died.html#ixzz54RqbL0Y9
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Is this strange anymore? Seems to be happening more often or perhaps there's just less tolerance of it.

A pilot was taken off a flight from Gatwick Airport after fears were raised he was drunk.

The British Airways flight to Mauritius on Thursday was delayed and the pilot replaced, BA said.

An airline source told The Sun: "Cops rushed on to the plane and headed straight for the cockpit. The first officer was cuffed and led away."

BA has apologised for the delay and said: "We are taking this matter extremely seriously."

A spokesman for the airline told the BBC: "We are sorry for the delay to our customers. The aircraft remained at the gate until an alternative third pilot joined the flight crew."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-42759124

Drone crime.

Belarusian border guards are used to dealing with smugglers' novel methods of trying to get contraband into the country, but even they were surprised by their first encounter with a drone on rails.

Guards on the frontier with Lithuania, which is also the Belarusian border with the European Union, looked up one night when their video screens showed sensors picking up a tiny flat wagon hurtling along the railway track towards them, the State Border Committee website reports.

The guards stepped to it and derailed the mini-carriage at the border. What they found was a home-made wagon, built like a shopping trolley, with an electric motor powered by two batteries, and steered by remote control.

It carried a net basket in which smugglers could put cartons of cigarettes, although on this occasion it was empty.

The guards think this was a trial run to see whether the "trolley drone" would make it across this particular crossing. The trolley operators would most likely have put it into reverse for the return trip to Lithuania, once the contraband had been picked up or deposited. ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-42723890

Strange because of the accused's background.

ELIZABETH CITY, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina man who made headlines when he was caught for break-ins after winning a doughnut-eating contest has been arrested again. And this time he’s accused of stealing from a doughnut shop.

The Virginian-Pilot newspaper reports 27-year-old Bradley Hardison of Elizabeth City was charged Thursday with stealing from a Dunkin’ Donuts in November.

An Elizabeth City Police Department statement says he’s charged with felonies including breaking and entering and larceny. It wasn’t clear if he helped himself to any doughnuts.

https://apnews.com/e29b866e4fe34c3e...n=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

Man stalked his own wife by pretending to be a former boyfriend. Bizarre, disturbing and though he pleaded innocent the jury took just 30 mins finding him guilty. And having done jury service last year, my guess is that consisted of electing a foreperson, making tea and having a vote. Job done. What a very disturbing man, though, and horrific for the wife and children.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...r-stalking-wife-by-impersonating-ex-boyfriend

DUQwLATXkAApnFy.jpg

Atherton, an especially posh suburb in Silicon Valley, has the most entertaining police blotter https://www.mercurynews.com/2011/08/27/the-best-of-atherton-police-blotter/…

Drunk man kills neighbour

A man who came home 'drunk' and stumbled into his neighbour's house after thinking it was his own home allegedly killed the owner after mistaking HIM for an intruder.

Michael Augustine, from Raytown, Missouri, is accused of choking his 60-year-old military veteran neighbour to death after the mix up.

Police made the chilling discovery after Augustine, 43, phoned 911 and said he had the intruder “pinned down” in his front garden.

These things happen. It's an easy mistake to make.

That's got to feel a bit embarrasing the next morning.

An Indian woman's husband and brother-in-law have been arrested after she told police they stole one of her kidneys in lieu of a dowry.

main-qimg-6989f9a7ac1ad605be3c27387e518007

Local media report that the West Bengal woman's husband arranged an appendicitis surgery when she was suffering stomach pain two year ago.

Late in 2017, two separate medical examinations revealed she was in fact missing one of her kidneys.

She alleges that her husband had frequently made demands for a dowry.

The payment of dowries - traditionally paid from a bride's family to a husband's - has been banned in India since 1961.

Speaking to Indian media, the alleged victim, Rita Sarkar, said she had been the victim of domestic abuse over the dowry issue for many years.

"My husband took me to a private nursing home in Kolkata, where he and the medical staff told me that I would be fine after removing my inflamed appendix through surgery," the Hindustan Times quoted her as saying.

"My husband warned me not to disclose the surgery in Kolkata to anyone."

Months later, she was feeling unwell and taken to a doctor by members of her family. Scans then revealed her right kidney was missing, she said. A second medical exam confirmed the diagnosis.

"I then understood why my husband implored me to keep quiet about the surgery," she told the Hindustan Times.

"He sold my kidney because my family couldn't meet his demand for dowry."

The Telegraph India newspaper quoted police inspector Udayshankar Ghosh as saying: "We suspect the involvement of a racket."

"A case was registered under provisions of the Transplantation of Human Organs and Tissues Act. We have also charged three persons with attempt to murder and bride torture."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-42983977

Does anyone else think that it's weird that India feels it necessary to have a specific offence of "bride torture"?

maximus otter

... Does anyone else think that it's weird that India feels it necessary to have a specific offence of "bride torture"?

At face value - yes ... Not so much in context, though ...

The Indian penal code defines the offense in terms of dowry and / or the demand for dowry. 'Bride burning' and / or 'bride torture' are the specific acts or tactics the anti-dowry laws were intended to mitigate.

On the other, er, hand, on Radio 4 today - Hello! Is it me you're looking for? - The art of greetings

Just sounds like a way to land a tourist in trouble.

"I was just minding my own business officer when this tourist asked me if I was the Village Chief. When I said I was and went to shake his hand he shoved his plonker in it.
"You can find his remains over there."

*Monty Python mode* "And now, a man with four buttocks."

Police in Portugal have detained a man at Lisbon's international airport accused of carrying 1kg (2.2lb) of cocaine in fake buttocks.

Local media said the Brazilian citizen had arrived on a flight from the city of Belém, in northern Brazil.

It was not immediately clear how police discovered the case.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43005948

'Beggar' arrested for threatening behaviour had £540 grand in cash on him.

The 55-year-old was arrested in Uppsala, Sweden when detectives were called to him threatening people who did not hand him cash.

When he was searched officers found he had six million krona (£540,000) on him, reports The Times .

He was arrested on suspicion of money laundering but it is still not clear how he came in possession of the money.

The chief of police Jale Poljarevius told local journalists that "bundles of cash kept coming" as detectives emptied his pockets.

Must be mentally ill. Still begging while he had all that dosh.

Back