• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Weather

This morning I drove my daughter to university in Edinburgh. I was very much reminded of what the weather was like at this time of year when I was a small boy attending primary school in the late 60s/early 70s. - That strange oppressive 'underlighting', everything in monochrome.

Right now it's standard issue uniform grey... Dreichly predictable and uninteresting like the service manual for a toaster.

Last edited:
Orange sky for a couple of hours, now sunny and breezy, just awaiting the onslaught of the storm tonight. Fingers crossed it won't be as bad as the amber warning says (amber = possible danger to life, apparently).

Weird weather brings out weird people. But I guess this is normal for NI.

DMRgq87W0AA9G9S.jpg

Last edited:
Storm is causing a lot of damage in some places.

Two men and a woman have been killed as the remnants of Hurricane Ophelia hit the British Isles.

As hurricane-force gusts battered the Republic of Ireland, one woman and a man died in separate incidents when trees fell on their cars.

A second man died in a chainsaw accident while attempting to remove a tree felled by the storm.

Thousands of homes and businesses lost power in Northern Ireland and Wales, along with 360,000 in the Republic.

Police in Scotland say the storm has hit Dumfries and Galloway and it is forecast to continue over the region into the evening.

And in Cumbria, police in Barrow closed roads around Barrow AFC's stadium after wind damaged its roof.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41627442

Vids at link.

There's another big sea storm predicted for Cromer tonight, fingers crossed the millions spent on the sea defence walls will stand up to the job, I watched them getting smashed to pieces one year. The last two storms have also trashed the beach huts so someone's had the idea of moving them this year .. problem is, they've put them in a danger spot next to the arcade in this picture (left hand side of the pic) and the arcade got trashed under similar conditions two storms back so I'm not really sure the council know what they're doing .... for a change ....

We'll be down there tonight to hopefully get some good pics ..

(picture taken this morning)

cromerbeachhuts.jpg

I know this chap, he does live streams from Cromer so I've just messaged him for a possible hook up to film it .. if so, you'll be able to watch it live on his channel.

https://www.facebook.com/andreas.yiasimi?fref=pb&hc_location=friends_tab&pnref=friends.all

Last edited:
There's another big sea storm predicted for Cromer tonight, fingers crossed the millions spent on the sea defence walls will stand up to the job, I watched them getting smashed to pieces one year. The last two storms have also trashed the beach huts so someone's had the idea of moving them this year .. problem is, they've put them in a danger spot next to the arcade in this picture (left hand side of the pic) and the arcade got trashed under similar conditions two storms back so I'm not really sure the council know what they're doing .... for a change ....

We'll be down there tonight to hopefully get some good pics ..

Be careful, Swifty! Don't take any risks just for photos.

As it was a recycling bin day today, this morning, the entire street was covered in rubbish.
The only bin that was intact was mine.

I can't find the video clip now but I was browsing on my phone on my break at work. I found a video from the Netherlands of someone filming the wind in a town square. What I took to be a black bin bag flying past turned out to be a person.

I can't find the video clip now but I was browsing on my phone on my break at work. I found a video from the Netherlands of someone filming the wind in a town square. What I took to be a black bin bag flying past turned out to be a person.

Sounds like this BBC video on today's hurricane-strength wind storm ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42731505

I'm posting this here because it relates to cloud cover, as well as the fact I can't locate a more appropriate thread for it ...

Moscow Sees Only 6 Minutes Of Sunlight During All Of December
The city experienced the darkest month in its recorded history in December. NPR's Mary Louise Kelly speaks with reporter Charles Maynes, who lived through those nearly sunless weeks.

MARY LOUISE KELLY, HOST:

Think you're having a long, dark winter? Well, spare a thought for the poor residents of Moscow who in December endured the darkest month in that city's recorded history - six minutes of sunlight. I'll repeat that - six minutes the entire month of December. Well, we couldn't help wondering what that was like to live through, and Moscow reporter Charles Maynes, who endured the darkness, is on the line now from Moscow. Hey there, Charles. ...

KELLY: This was, to be clear, six minutes all at once, one blinding flash, or was it meted out a few seconds over a number of days?

MAYNES: Oh, it was painfully meted out over a number of days. And yeah, so it was - you could enjoy just every 30 seconds or so as it came by.

KELLY: What is typical for December in Moscow? How much sunlight do you usually get?

MAYNES: Well, you know, Moscow isn't exactly known as a sunny destination in December. Usually we get around 18 hours of sunlight for the month. Just to put a little perspective, the previous record in terms of lack of sunlight was just a whopping three hours. So in a sense, this year just destroyed it of course with six minutes. ...

FULL STORY (TRANSCRIPT): https://www.npr.org/2018/01/18/5789...-december?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=science

Thank you EnolaGaia that was the clip I saw. Am I a bad person for chortling at it? Assuming that he wasn't seriously hurt that is.

Thank you EnolaGaia that was the clip I saw. Am I a bad person for chortling at it? Assuming that he wasn't seriously hurt that is.

No. I chortled myself, but it had more to do with successfully finding a video that just had to be the one you'd mentioned. Your description of his tumbling like a trash bag was spot-on.

I don't think I'd ever heard of this remarkable weather story before. I wonder how many Fortean incidents might have involved such odd sudden temperature swings.

75 years since massive temperature swing in Spearfish
Monday marks the 75th anniversary of a startling weather event that put a western South Dakota city in the record books: In just two minutes, the temperature in Spearfish jumped from negative 4 degrees (-20 Celsius) to 45 degrees (7 Celsius) on Jan. 22, 1943.

The temperature then increased to 54 degrees (12 Celsius), only to fall back down that morning to negative 4 degrees (-20 Celsius), the
Rapid City Journal reported .

The weather cracked plate glass windows and instantly frosted car windows, forcing drivers to pull over.

Meteorologist Susan Sanders said a combination of especially cold air from the north and east ran into warm air from the west.

“Warmer air came in and pushed (cold air) away,” said Sanders. “When the winds let up, the warmer air retreated and the cold air came back.”

Sanders said the air masses sloshed back and forth several times that remarkable morning 75 years ago.

The extreme temperature swings received national attention, including from “Ripley’s Believe it or Not.”

“There were newspaper stories from all over the country,” Sanders said. ...

SOURCE: https://apnews.com/5b2567816ef14929...-since-massive-temperature-swing-in-Spearfish

Here's some additional context for the Spearfish incident ...

RE: American Records for Temperature Shifts

The largest recorded temperature change in one place over a 24-hour period occurred on January 15, 1972 in Loma, Montana, when the temperature rose from −54 to 49 °F (−47.8 to 9.4 °C).

The most dramatic temperature changes occur in North American climates susceptible to Chinook winds. For example, the largest 2-minute temperature change of 49 °F (27.2 °C) occurred in Spearfish, South Dakota, a rise from −4 to 45 °F (−20.0 to 7.2 °C).

SOURCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_temperature_extremes

Also:

5 Incredible Temperature Swings (slideshow)

https://weather.com/sports-recreation/ski/news/5-extreme-temperature-drops-20130118#/1

Guinness Record: Greatest temperature range in day

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/greatest-temperature-range-in-day

That is the weirdest weather-related item I've heard. What could explain such a thing? Solar flares reaching the atmosphere?

That is the weirdest weather-related item I've heard. What could explain such a thing? Solar flares reaching the atmosphere?

If you are asking about the temperature swings, it is from Chinook winds. I live in Calgary, and we get them quite often. The most extreme I can remember was -10 C to around 18 C, but not in two minutes! Over a couple of hours, maybe. The warmth lasted around 12 hours, made a huge mess, with melting snow flooding the patio doors. Then, when the Chinook is over, hopefully your car isn't frozen where you parked it, in what was a foot of slush, but is now solid ice!

a link with a decent diagram of what makes the magic!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinook_wind

Temperatures in Southern Norway today:
Folldal: -42 degrees Celsius.
Tynset: -37.5 degrees Celsius.
Røros: -35.4 degrees Celsius.
Where I live: -15 degrees Celsius.

Way up North, Svalbard:
Longyearbyen: +4 degrees Celsius.

Last edited:
Temperatures in Southern Norway today:
Folldal: - 42 degrees Celsius.
Tynset: - 37.5 degrees Celsius.
Røros: - 35.4 degrees Celsius.
Where I live: - 15 degrees Celsius.

Way up North, Svalbard:
Longyearbyen: +4 degrees Celsius.

Folldal: - 42 degrees C? WOW!!

(As you were... I thought that that read Folldal, colon, rule, 42 degrees, rather than Folldal minus 42)...Shit Vardoger, that. is. cold. mate.

Back