• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crotal Bell

Is this a solid casting, or a curled pressing?

I wonder whether this is something as mundane as a casement latch/bolt-head, or actually a Middle Ages jewelry fragment?
Looks very much like a casting when looked at through a loupe but I'm not completely sure.

It resembles a whistle to me although I'm sure you would have noticed an air hole to blow through if that was the case.

It resembles a whistle to me although I'm sure you would have noticed an air hole to blow through if that was the case.
You're right it's definitely an old whistle of some sort, it has the air hole, but again just like with the crotal bell I'm unable to find a makers mark. There's lots of scrolling patterns on it though.

Here's another photo :) IMG_9984.JPG

Cool .. I wonder if it was a shepherd's whistle for sheep dogs ? .. it looks extremely old, do you know what kind of metal it is ?
Yes I think it's very old, never thought of it being a shepherds whistle but quite possibly so? Not sure of the type of metal it's made from, I found it on a very old footpath during the 1970's.

Yes I think it's very old, never thought of it being a shepherds whistle but quite possibly so? Not sure of the type of metal it's made from, I found it on a very old footpath during the 1970's.
The 70's ? .. that old ! .. perhaps it belonged to Kevin Keegan ? :)

I don't think it's a shepherd's whistle going by these descriptions ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepherd's_whistle
I think I've found out something about the whistle :) I think it's a post Medieval Tudor Decorated Hawking Whistle. I've just been looking at an almost identical one (albeit in better condition than mine) it was found in Wiltshire and sold for £85 at auction. I'd never sell mine but now I'm excited!

I think I've found out something about the whistle :) I think it's a post Medieval Tudor Decorated Hawking Whistle. I've just been looking at an almost identical one (albeit in better condition than mine) it was found in Wiltshire and sold for £85 at auction. I'd never sell mine but now I'm excited!
Congratulations ! .. have you got a link to a pic of that other whistle ?

is "something" broken off the end to the left in the photo?

Can you still get a whistle out of it ? .. the Mrs's mum works with owls and the like as a hobby so maybe you could get permission to test it out out on hawks one day in Cromer.
The suspension loop is broken off, it was how it was when I found it. I just now held a finger over the broken part and then blew, my God it packs a punch for such a little thing! Goes to show the advantages of quality craftsmanship :)

is "something" broken off the end to the left in the photo?
Yes sadly the suspension loop is broken off, it was like that when I found it, the break was already an old one so I'm glad I never broke such a precious little thing whilst removing it from the ground.

It doesn't have anything engraved on it, does it? Such as' "Quis est iste qui venit"? :ghunt:
I've just examined it with the loupe again but I can only see lots of scrollwork patterns. I don't think there are any words on it.

I just now held a finger over the broken part and then blew, my God it packs a punch for such a little thing! Goes to show the advantages of quality craftsmanship

Am I correct when I assume that you're a friend of @Swifty in real life? If so, it would be great if you two could make a youtube video of the whistle being blown and upload it to his channel, then we could all hear it.

Am I correct when I assume that you're a friend of @Swifty in real life? If so, it would be great if you two could make a youtube video of the whistle being blown and upload it to his channel, then we could all hear it.
If FruitBat's keen, I haven't got a problem sticking a vid on youtube although I'm having cables problems at the moment so will have to sort that out first ..

Sounds like a plan for a future project, although I've never made a video for YouTube before :)

Sounds like a plan for a future project, although I've never made a video for YouTube before :)
I've got a flashy camera and a couple of channels but I haven't put anything new on them for a while ..

I just now held a finger over the broken part and then blew, my God it packs a punch for such a little thing!
Presumably it did not summon anything? :exor:

What a massive privilege, to be the first person to breath life into it, for maybe 600+ years

Twenty generations, perhaps, since the last time this screamed for attention.

What a massive privilege, to be the first person to breath life into it, for maybe 600+ years

Absolutely! It's been in my possession for at least 30 years and couldn't help but feel in awe when I blew it, being the first person to do so since the previous owner who lost it hundreds of years ago. Hopefully I've not summoned anything untoward :)

I've got a flashy camera and a couple of channels but I haven't put anything new on them for a while ..
I wouldn't know where to start! Had thought maybe to create a metal detecting channel at some point though. My best camera died on me two days ago so I've had to order another, I'll test it out with a few photo's of 'finds' when it arrives.

The previous owner died of some ghastly lung plague!

Back