• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Have Never Read A Book

John Lydon is an avid reader and has said that an education is nothing to be afraid of, and I think that he's right. When asked what his ambition was he said to read every book ever written.

Except the ones written by hippies of course.

I'm not sure that he was, despite the hippy hair (according to Nick Kent Lydon didn't even know the basics, such as how to roll a joint). Wasn't he more a Hawkwind-loving speedfreak?

He reminds me of Charles Manson in that picture.

Just started reading 'Gnomon' by Nick Harkaway. all 688 pages of it. He was on 'Meet The Author' some time back.

I got through the first chapter but was a bit thrown by the sudden change into the second. Thought 'well, I'll stick with it a bit longer'.

I am now locked into the story and don't get to bed until 3 AM.

Anyone else got a book like that.

INT21

p.s. I know it is a bit off-topic, so any mod who wants to move it to a more appropriate thread please feel free.

It's one thing to have a father who can't understand why you'd want to read a book when you could be digging dead leaves and bugs out of the rain gutters, but it occurred only recently to me that I never knew anyone else who liked books and reading throughout my entire life. School, college, grown-up-type life working at various jobs -- none of my fellow students and workers knew much about books, especially anything interesting (science fiction, fantasy, Forteana, science in general, true crime). 'Twas a lonely life . . . Well, not really. I read my books and wrote my own stories and drew my own comics, and I had no interest in sports, which wiped me off most people's radar, anyway, and vice-versa.

Once I reached the age of obtaining gainful employment, I got greedy in my book-collecting, but why not? As near as I could tell, they were only being printed for me!

... college, grown-up-type life working at various jobs -- none of my fellow students and workers knew much about books, especially anything interesting ...
occasionally in life, reading or having read the right kind of books can get you the best kind of action ... bars/drink is usually the vector in those instances

Just started reading 'Gnomon' by Nick Harkaway. all 688 pages of it. He was on 'Meet The Author' some time back.

I got through the first chapter but was a bit thrown by the sudden change into the second. Thought 'well, I'll stick with it a bit longer'.

I am now locked into the story and don't get to bed until 3 AM.

Anyone else got a book like that.

INT21

p.s. I know it is a bit off-topic, so any mod who wants to move it to a more appropriate thread please feel free.

Just read Gnomon (I have been a great fan of Harkaway since 'The Gone Away World') but honestly felt the author had lost his way with this one -too dragged out for too little reveal!

i havent read it so im not sure if gnomon is going to get you laid or not ...

On the contrary I feel it better not to be seen reading books when it comes to women. Just tell them you watch football.

On the contrary I feel it better not to be seen reading books when it comes to women. Just tell them you watch football.

How about looking as if you're reading a big book, then accidentally letting the copy of The Beano you were actually reading fall out?

Blackpeter,

My first Harkaway book.

I sort of see where it is going.

'Otherworld' by Tad Williams was a trilogy that lost it's way after a good start.

INT21

Seriously, I'd only want to attract a woman who reads SF. Reads.

How about looking as if you're reading a big book, then accidentally letting the copy of The Beano you were actually reading fall out?

Tried that once. I was passing myself off as all sophisticated when a copy of Razzle slid out from inside the issue of Playboy I was pretending to read.

Classic 'Bachelor Art' fail. They threw me off the bus.

Last edited:
Tried that once. I was passing myself of as all sophisticated when a copy of Razzle slid out from inside the issue of Playboy I was pretending to read.

The pages weren't sticky enough. Schoolboy howler.

maximus otter

i met one of my lifelong pals through reading ... sat at the bar at night&day, oldham street, mid 90s ... he was sat next to me reading, i glanced at the page he was at and spotted the character name Nick Belane, which jump started a conversation about Pulp by Bukowski, who had not long died ...

i also have a maxim that fortean teen sidekick has recently taken up, money spent on books and music is always well spent
Reassuring that some young 'uns are keeping up traditions.

i was surprised myself, i hadnt pushed my tendency to vinyl as true medium, i mean why bother these days ... about a year ago she started talking records ... she now collects hank williams on vinyl ! she ll be fourteen in a month

i also have a maxim that fortean teen sidekick has recently taken up, money spent on books and music is always well spent

And, although you may never be rich - you will also never be bored.

When I was very young my dad told me that if I learned to love reading I would never be bored or lonely. To combat the staggering tedium which clearly accompanied many people's army years he had picked up the habit of reading absolutely everything - from books, to out of date newspapers, to the information writtem on the side of tinned goods and packets of tea. I picked the habit up at a very young age. (People now think I'm a health freak because I can reel of the nutrition information from food labels: this is not the case - it's just, when you get caught in Aldi with nothing to read, what else are you supposed to do?)

As to being lonely, I think he's right on two levels: books supply their own kind of company, and they are also a great potential source of connection between individuals.

I've always given family and friend's kids book tokens as gifts and I'm pleased to say they are all avid readers and even more pleased that a friend's son now want to study literature when he goes to uni.

Funnily enough I've just started reading a book about Charles Bronson, and it turns out he didn't have much time for other people, but he did love to read. When he wasn't indulging in punishing iron man workouts, that is.

if I learned to love reading I would never be bored or lonely
makes sense, i cant honestly say although ive experienced a lot of solitude ive never had a single moment of boredom or loneliness

Funnily enough I've just started reading a book about Charles Bronson, and it turns out he didn't have much time for other people, but he did love to read. When he wasn't indulging in punishing iron man workouts, that is.
Which Charles Bronson? That sounds like it could be a description of either.

Spookdaddy,

..When I was very young my dad told me that if I learned to love reading I would never be bored or lonely...

Mine told me that no one ever learned anything from books.

Mind you, he only read westerns, so in his own case he was probably right.

R.I.P Dad.

INT21

My Dad reckoned he learned a lot from reading old westerns.
He did too.

Back