• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Centre For Fortean Zoology Presents: On The Track

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
http://forteanzoology.blogspot.com/2011 ... ck-of.html

CFZ in summer
Fortean experiencer photo project
Identifying the aequidens
Heterandaria formosa
Baby caecilians
Brian Regal interview
The village fayre
The 2012 Yearbook
Corinna looks at out of place birds
New and Rediscovered: New spider
New and Rediscovered: New desert tortoise
New and Rediscovered: Rediscovery of the rainbow toad
New and Rediscovered: Rediscovered freshwater limpet

CFZ monthly show. Episode 85 giant birds, rewilding Denmark, new species.

A new episode of On The Track http://forteanzoology.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/on-track-of-unknown-animals-ep-87-yeti.html

• The CFZ as lounge lizards
• Portuguese man o'War
• Tropical jellyfish in Cornwall
• Loren Coleman interview
• Loren on the mothman
• Freshwater jellyfish
• Gustavo Sanchez Romero interview
• Gustavo Sanchez on the wildman and yeti
• Colin on the new Orang Utan
• Spoofing The Room
• Watcher of the skies
• New and rediscovered: New frog in New Britain
• New and rediscovered: New lemur
• New and rediscovered: New skink
• New and rediscovered: New honeyater
• New and rediscovered: New cichlid
• Fair use
• Coming next month
• The Patreon campaign
• The team says goodbye until next month

A new episode of On The Track http://forteanzoology.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/on-track-of-unknown-animals-ep-87-yeti.html

• The CFZ as lounge lizards
• Portuguese man o'War
• Tropical jellyfish in Cornwall
• Loren Coleman interview
• Loren on the mothman
• Freshwater jellyfish
• Gustavo Sanchez Romero interview
• Gustavo Sanchez on the wildman and yeti
• Colin on the new Orang Utan
• Spoofing The Room
• Watcher of the skies
• New and rediscovered: New frog in New Britain
• New and rediscovered: New lemur
• New and rediscovered: New skink
• New and rediscovered: New honeyater
• New and rediscovered: New cichlid
• Fair use
• Coming next month
• The Patreon campaign
• The team says goodbye until next month

Shared on FB & Twitter.

I think giant monitors may be behind some of the modern 'dinosaur' sightings. As for the gbahali i think it sounds like a big Nile crocodile.

They'd certainly fit the bill. Some can be really big.

Nile Crocodiles can exceed 20' and approach - exceed a ton in weight. They've been known to take down a full grown cape buffalo (which can also exceed a ton in weight).

A giant notorious Nile Crocodile named Gustav from Burundi was reported to have attacked and killed a grown hippo. Gustav may have consumed over 300 people before it's disappearance as well. It survived hits with spears, rifles and a machine gun fire. A good National Geographic special was dedicated to the beast.
I don't have a link to actual documentary mentioned above but this video does Gustav some justice, scary.

BTW I strongly agree with lordmongrove, that Large monitor lizards may very well account for "some" sighting of dinosaurs. I. E. : Bones for the giant 20' Megalania have ben found that are only reported to be 300 years old.

Last edited:
300 years ago?

I bring bad news. I happened to be listening to a lecture today on Youtube, and was a bit surprised to hear Megalania's size being given as about 3-4 meters. I've just checked and recent studies come out at about 11-15 feet. I can't quote the sources for the lecture but it was by Thomas Holtz of the University of Maryland, and the source I found was National Geographhic and I couldn't find a link to the proper study. But I tend to believe Holtz.

Bit of let down, but on the upside, I also find now it's known now as Varanus prisca because it's so similar to the goannas, which are fascinating creatures, so an eleven foot one of those is still OK with me. Preffered a 28' one though.

With paleontology figures can - will vary with time - reports. However even with the smaller reported size at (3 to 4) m = (10 to 13+)' it would still be a beasty.

With paleontology figures can - will vary with time - reports. However even with the smaller reported size at (3 to 4) m = (10 to 13+)' it would still be a beasty.

True, but I'd say that with more finds leading to bigger sample groups, and a better understanding of relationships leading to a likely more accurate interpretation of these, the later studies are more likely to be correct. But yes, an eleven foot long goanna would be beastly enough for anyone.

True, but I'd say that with more finds leading to bigger sample groups, and a better understanding of relationships leading to a likely more accurate interpretation of these, the later studies are more likely to be correct. But yes, an eleven foot long goanna would be beastly enough for anyone.

True but all it takes is one find to alter the entire picture. Unfortunately paleontology is not one of the most exacting of sciences. I.e.: such as electro-magnetics, biology, botany, etc. The element of change will always exist and the data on extinct species will continuously be subject to change. In a way this makes the field stimulating, the you never know factor.

Episode 89 of On The Track

• Introducing Wally the Comedy Rhinoceros • The British Bigfoot - non human primates in the British fossil record • Dr Max Blake interview • Arctic weather in Woolsery • Out of place reptiles in Britain • Smooth snakes in Devon • Sand lizards in Devon and Cornwall • German rheas • Revisiting the Florida "river monster" • PRODUCT PLACEMENT - Weird Weekend North 2018 - Mark RaInes' Podcast - Mr Biffo and Digitiser TV • Archie sings the Beach Boys • Watcher of the skies • New and rediscovered: New mastiff bat in South America • New and rediscovered: New armoured catfish in South America • New and rediscovered: New lizard in South America • New and rediscovered: New cave millipede • New and rediscovered: New genus of freshwater crab • New and rediscovered: New genus of clearwing moth • New and rediscovered: New boa in the Bahamas • New Indian lizards • Fair use • Coming next month • The Patreon campaign • The team says goodbye until next month

I bring bad news. I happened to be listening to a lecture today on Youtube, and was a bit surprised to hear Megalania's size being given as about 3-4 meters. I've just checked and recent studies come out at about 11-15 feet. I can't quote the sources for the lecture but it was by Thomas Holtz of the University of Maryland, and the source I found was National Geographhic and I couldn't find a link to the proper study. But I tend to believe Holtz.

Bit of let down, but on the upside, I also find now it's known now as Varanus prisca because it's so similar to the goannas, which are fascinating creatures, so an eleven foot one of those is still OK with me. Preffered a 28' one though.

This is still speculation as we only have very fragmentory remains.

This is still speculation as we only have very fragmentory remains.

True, but as I'm sure you'll agree it's more informed speculation than Owen's original projection, and based on a larger sample size.

Still though, we've still got an 11' goanna. That would be incredible.

True, but as I'm sure you'll agree it's more informed speculation than Owen's original projection, and based on a larger sample size.

Still though, we've still got an 11' goanna. That would be incredible.
Nice thylacine

New episode

A shadowy figure in the snow • The CFZ Poster Boy from 2007 grows up • Greg goes to Hong Kong • The mystery of Tadpole Pond • A Hong Kong paradise fish? • The druid gives us Oriental weather loach • The search for Gambusia • Mystery great white sharks • A great white shark in Plymouth? • Retrieving trail cameras • Have we solved the mystery of the Common Moor carcass? • PRODUCT PLACEMENT - Weird Weekend North 2018 - Mr Biffo and Digitiser TV - Mr Loxodonta has a record out • Watcher of the skies • New and rediscovered: New genus of Chinese freshwater crab • New and rediscovered: Two new Mexican snakes • New and rediscovered: Large new knifefish • New and rediscovered: New rat-like rodent • New and rediscovered: Rediscovered bat • New and rediscovered: New Thai spitting cobra • New and rediscovered: New lizard • New fiddler crab with enormous range • Fair use • Coming next month • The Patreon campaign • Archie sings the Beach Boys • The team says goodbye until next month

Back