• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Most Haunted Places In Your Home Town

Brig:

What are the specifics on the camera that snapped the 3 photos? (Brand, model, features ... )

Does this camera have a fixed focus, or does it have an auto-focusing lens system?

Where, if anywhere, was this camera aimed / positioned prior to being placed to monitor the staircase?

Was the room illumination constantly on prior to your ascending the stairs, or had light(s) been activated or de-activated just before you climbed the staircase?

Three things strike me about the trio of photos:

- The apparent figure is consistently at the same vertical level / same stairstep as you.

- In the first (lowest elevation) photo, the figure seems to be facing away from the camera. There's only the vaguest of imagery above the figure's apparent waistline - enough to (e.g.) suggest the figure is twisting to one side at the waist. If that is indeed the figure's upper body, it's notably shrunken / small in proportion to the lower part.

- In the second (intermediate elevation) photo, the crease lines in the apparent 'pants' and the angular positioning of the knees are just as consistent - if not more so - with a figure descending the stairs.

First off I'm not sure where the nonfunctioning camera is. My wife tends to dispose of broken product. I ordered the camera on line from Amazon. Actually I have had two. Neither one functioned much longer than 2 years. It was actually called a "Spy Camera" and was made to look like a room fresh scent stand. The company that makes it may no longer be around. I ordered a third one on Amazon, it was never acknowledged, I never received it. Both Amazon and I tried to made contact but neither of us were successful. Amazon cancelled my credit card charge.

The best thing about this camera was it was so simple to operate; even an old fart like me could do it. The focus must of been fixed as everything was in good detail whether close or far away. It shot in very low light but often the photos were too dark to show anything.

When that series of picture were taken I had the hall over head light on. Keep in mind our front stairs are rarely used. Even company uses the rear stairs because they are so much more convenient. We often have sounds that appear to come from the front stairs and that is why I had the camera aimed up them. I have a statue of a sitting fairy on a short pillar stand on the right side at the bottom of the stairs. The camera was braced between the fairy's wings and aimed up the stairs. I figure that's why our heads are out of the cameras range,

Brig, did you order a new camera like the one I pointed out recently?

Yes I did. It came. But I cannot fet it to work. It goes through all of the motions and makes an audible click when anyone passes in front of it. I have the chip and minichip it requires but my chip monitor reports "no results."

Yes I did. It came. But I cannot fet it to work. It goes through all of the motions and makes an audible click when anyone passes in front of it. I have the chip and minichip it requires but my chip monitor reports "no results."
Hmmm. Obvious, I know...did you try getting a replacement? Sounds like a dud.
Another throught - try reading the chip with your computer (you probably need a chip reader or slot on your PC). It may have some data on it.

First off I'm not sure where the nonfunctioning camera is. . . . I ordered the camera on line from Amazon. Actually I have had two. Neither one functioned much longer than 2 years. It was actually called a "Spy Camera" and was made to look like a room fresh scent stand. The company that makes it may no longer be around.

It might be too late to check this, but maybe the history of your Amazon orders still exists and could give clues about the camera's model and its manufacture. I've never checked how far back the accessible records go.

It might be too late to check this, but maybe the history of your Amazon orders still exists and could give clues about the camera's model and its manufacture. I've never checked how far back the accessible records go.

My Amazon order history goes right back to when I first signed-up in 2002!

I just figger I'm too old to understand how to use the thing.

I just figger I'm too old to understand how to use the thing.
Brig, wait for the next nice day (this may be a few days based on what's happening where I am), go outside and ask the first 15-year-old you see to set it up for you. That's what I would do. In the last 50 years our genes have evolved and I know that I'm left out. They do it on instinct.

I'm 56. If I was there, I'd sort it out for you.
I'd suggest you read the manual.

I'm 56. If I was there, I'd sort it out for you.
I'd suggest you read the manual.
Not my experience, many are written by people deficient in English or who have never actually used the machine, especially small items. I sympathize with Brig who has chronic problems with cameras. I can initiate a 50-person network just fine (or could before I retired) but once again last night could not for the life of me figure out what the thermostat wanated me to do - clearly a sentence had been left out. That's why people get paid for technical writing.

Not my experience, many are written by people deficient in English or who have never actually used the machine, especially small items. I sympathize with Brig who has chronic problems with cameras. I can initiate a 50-person network just fine (or could before I retired) but once again last night could not for the life of me figure out what the thermostat wanated me to do - clearly a sentence had been left out. That's why people get paid for technical writing.
I am a technical writer.

I'm sure you didn't write the 6-point type partial instructions for my thermostat. I know a few people who are technical writers and I'm sure I would have no problem with their instructions. But the others, the others... My point was that the kids I know don't even read the instructions. They hardwire to the buttons. And Brig shouldn't feel that it's wrong to just find a kid.

True story. The last year I taught school, they had just brought into the classrooms our very first computers. Teachers were told to use them, especially if we weren't computer savvy. I was in a kindergarten class and the kids were all busy(yes that can actually happen in kindergarten); so I figured I'd try my hand at the computer. With in minutes had the thing locked up. Nothing I could do would set it straight. A child at one of the tables asked "What is the matter?" I said "I've locked up the computer, perhaps your teacher can correct it when she returns." The little fellow waddled over to the computer, looked at it, punched a few keys and said, "There ya go Mr.-----. At that point I realized I was over the hill. But when a little girl about 8 or 9 told me I had her grandmother in kindergarten, I began to consider retirement.

Last night I had a strange experience. I was waking up at about 3:30 am, give or take a few minutes, by something that was like someone sitting on the edge of the bed then getting up. It was on the far side of the bed an I thought it was Shadow (my schnauzer) trying to get back in bed after leaving for a drink, This occurred at least three times and I was awake enough to realize Shadow was only inches from my head and sleeping soundly. Needless to say as soon as I raised up to see what was going on the movement ended.

Thinking back on it, Shadow is not big enough to make the displacement I felt. Considering my age and all, I did use the opportunity to make a jon visit. Never saw anything that would have been trying to climb in or out of the bed. My vigilant Shadow slept through it all. Even my return from the bathroom and getting back in bed failed to arouse her.

I have a bit of a mystery today. But first you need some background. Last Sunday on my way home from church I stopped at the local market and picked up a Sunday paper. As I was getting out of my van I got my feet tangled, fell backwards landing primarily on that area of the back between the shoulder blades. I managed to not hit my head. I was stunned but nevertheless was able to pull my self up, get into the van and drive on home. Told my wife I had fallen but didn't seem any the worse for wear. She informed me that I'd be "sore tomorrow". Truer words were never spoken.

I could hardly move on Monday and I've been on regular doses of Stanback since. So, luckily, my wife has recovered from her problems enough to run her store without me. So anyway, I did not go to the store with her today. The dog and I laid down where I was reading a book, At about 20 minutes past two some one shouted in to me "Yaup" (a shortened version of "Are you up". I answered where I was reading a book. I expected by wife to make an appearance, she didn't. I called out , no response. My dog was alert, ears up, but made no attempt to leave and see who it was. Now granted I'm not moving very fast in fact I'm moving painfully slow but that call was so clear and loud I figured it had to be someone. The voice was female and only my wife and god-daughter walk in unannounced. My dog though 12 years old still screams bloody murder if anyone comes in until we quiet her. My wife makes a habit of locking the door when she leaves (I do too), and the door was locked.

I called my wife, down at the store, and told her about it. Her response was matter of factly, "The house use to be a rest home. It was one of the staff checking up on you". That ghost image we got a few months ago looked like someone in a house-keepers uniform; so maybe so.

Maybe your wife was worried about you and was subconsciously checking
you were ok, the mind likely has powers we don't know about and cant
or have no conscious control over, the ex rest home is interesting I
worked in one for a time and that was haunted.

I don't suppose it was in Ohio?

Last edited:
There's an upcoming ghost walk in Cromer if anyone fancies going .. we went on the last one and it's not too bad .. at one point, we ended up outside my old flat where some kids saw a 1920's ghost motorbike rider in the 70's we learned .. the walk also takes in the old bath house on the prom, a Tudor looking house but that's since been done up, the church, The White Horse pub and a walk by of Cromer Hall with various stories peppered amongst all of this. I've no idea if the walk's been updated .. I hope it includes The Red Lion hotel this time .. I lived there for nearly 2 years through my job as their night porter and loads of spooky stuff happened there.

https://www.facebook.com/events/271439073389611/

Which brings up a new encounter. As most of you are aware my wife and I use different bedrooms. Due to my frequent jon excursions during the night and her leg problems. Anyway, she told me this morning that I came pretty close to being slugged. I said, "What for?" She replied that about 2;30 in the a.m. somebody or something punched her on the arm three times, like she thought I was trying to wake her up. She said ,"I had just got to sleep", but when I rolled over to see what you wanted, there wasn't anybody there." "Luckily I did go back to sleep pretty quick."

It wasn't our dog, though I really can't see Shadow punching anyone on the arm. She'd be more likely to lick your face. Besides my wife keeps her bedroom door shut to keep Shadow from jumping on the bed in the middle of the night and discourages the occasional bat from flying in, though that has been rare lately. Shadow is very frightened by thunder and lightning. She tends to sit on my head or run in a panic. Most of my dogs in the past were not much bothered by thunder but this little black schnauzer I have now certainly is. My wife has experienced so many weird happenings in this house that she is pretty casual when it happens.

Do you get used to ghostly going on? Yes, I guess you do. This is one reason I try to keep a journal of the weird. Sometimes I am surprised when I read back a few weeks at a time. Most of it is rather mundane. Some of it is unnerving. I'd like to know the reason behind it. But, yes, you do kind of get use to it.

Which brings up a new encounter. As most of you are aware my wife and I use different bedrooms. Due to my frequent jon excursions during the night and her leg problems. Anyway, she told me this morning that I came pretty close to being slugged. I said, "What for?" She replied that about 2;30 in the a.m. somebody or something punched her on the arm three times, like she thought I was trying to wake her up. She said ,"I had just got to sleep", but when I rolled over to see what you wanted, there wasn't anybody there." "Luckily I did go back to sleep pretty quick."
It wasn't our dog, though I really can't see Shadow punching anyone on the arm. She'd be more likely to lick your face. Besides my wife keeps her bedroom door shut to keep Shadow from jumping on the bed in the middle of the night and discourages the occasional bat from flying in, though that has been rare lately. Shadow is very frightened by thunder and lightning. She tends to sit on my head or run in a panic. Most of my dogs in the past were not much bothered by thunder but this little black schnauzer I have now certainly is. My wife has experienced so many weird happenings in this house that she is pretty casual when it happens. Do you get use to ghostly going on? Yes, I guess you do. This is one reason I try to keep a journal of the weird. Sometimes I am surprised when I read back a few weeks at a time. Most of it is rather mundane. Some of it is unnerving. I'd like to know the reason behind it. But, yes, you do kind of get use to it.
How do the bats get in? Do you leave a window or door open?

We have bats but never in 20 odd years we have lived here has one come in the
house even though we usually have at least one window open, a mate on the
other hand gets them in the house, they fly in and out via the open fireplace
and chimney.

When we bought this place in 1979, it had sat empty for 8 years. I suspect both the bats and bees made their move in during that time. Strangely enough the bats and bees seem to cohabit peacefully. The bees are located in the floor joists above the master bedroom. I was told by the county agricultural agent that they could be eradicated but unless they were an active menace he hoped I would not. Wild bees are becoming extinct and are desperately needed for pollination and besides, removing them would leave between 200 and 700 lbs of honey that would be a draw for much worse vermin and insects than bees.

The bats are and always have been in the ceiling of the attic. I've tried several methods of eradication and I've reduced their number but I cannot get them all out. When we moved here we counted over 600 bats that flew from a corner of the roof. That was only one corner; the house has several exits and entrances. We had a new roof put in place a few years ago. The roofers tried to block the bats but they were not overly successful. The last time we did a count on exiting bats we were down to fifty some. But, here again, that was only one portal. I've bombed the attic with sulfer candles and keep several 60 watt bulbs glowing 24/7, but some of those critters are plain tough. So occasionly one does get down in the house. I keep a tennis racket handy for that emergency. I'm not sure how they find their way down from the attic. I'm pretty certain it's an inside job however. But on the plus side, I have relatively few mosquitos in the summer. BTW I have several squack boxes running in the attic that are supposed to repel bugs and vermin. Save your money, they don't work.

As much as I'd love to visit merry old England and its Celtic neighbors; I fear its a bit too far for me to travel. Swifty needs to give us a run down of that place sometime. I think my traveling days are about over.

As much as I wish we still have open fireplaces; my insurance company refused insurance until they were all closed off. We have several chimneys in this place. The bats exit areas of the roof and the bees have two exit points between exterior wall bricks. Sitting on the upper tier of our double porch; you have an excellent view of the departing bats. As I am not much of a drinker (my doctor and I both recommend one 5 oz blackberry wine at bedtime, if needed). So I cannot say it enhances the bats foraging antics.

Back