• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Celebrity Ghosts & Hauntings

Aha...thought so. Some time back I started a Celebrity Ghosts thread: it's here. Perhaps some nice mod could merge.

Interesting that two Carry On stalwarts are alleged to have hung around long after the last curtain call.

It appears that the Met. are looking to interview the shade of Michael Jackson circa Thriller in connection with a nasty incident at London Victoria in which nobody was seriously hurt (so it's completely fine to treat it with such levity).

mjghoul_FTMB.PNG

It appears that the Met. are looking to interview the shade of Michael Jackson circa Thriller in connection with a nasty incident at London Victoria in which nobody was seriously hurt (so it's completely fine to treat it with such levity).

View attachment 9217
Is that actually a man? Could just as easily be a woman.

Perhaps the worker was a man and the miscreant was heard to yell "take that, fellow male human!" as the shove was delivered.

...or he was seen using a mobile phone whilst also looking where he was going...

*runs for cover*

Last edited:
Sid James Ghost at the Sunderland Empire. (Tom Slemen)

sidsghost.jpg

The apparition’s face was pale and clammy looking, and the eyes were almost black and lifeless. The ghost shouted something (which I will never put into print) then vanished. Dawson almost died from shock and vowed he’d never work again at the Sunderland Empire – and he never did.

I would love to know what it was that Sid's ghost shouted at Les Dawson. I found a couple of videos by someone who claims to have contacted Sid and Kenneth Williams with something called a Vocibus. I have no idea what a Vocibus is and I don't go in for all of that EVP phenomena stuff anyway but I will say that I found the Kenneth Williams one quite disturbing.

I like the way he casually says, "I'm going to try to speak to Sid James...I done Kenneth Williams yesterday.". :)

It would be more professional to contact their agents first.

Sid's with 'all the Carry On team' on the Other Side? Seems a bit harsh to pack him off to hell over a bit of drinking gambling and womanising.

Sid's with 'all the Carry On team' on the Other Side? Seems a bit harsh to pack him off to hell over a bit of drinking gambling and womanising.

I wonder if Harry H Corbett's with them. I can't imagine him wanting to spend eternity in the company of Wilfred Bramble's spirit. He looked scary enough when he was alive. :cskull:

Last edited:
I misread that as 'Harry Corbett' and imagined his wriggling hand up their arses forever, with no possible response save an anguished SQUEEEEEAK.

Phew - I misunderstood that as Matthew Corbett, who according to wikipedia, is still alive at 70.

They remind me of when you play a record backwards to hear Satan speak.
Backwards masking and backwards phonetics, the former consisting of an artist saying something live that can sound a bit like something else (deliberate or otherwise) when being played backwards, the later being an artist who deliberately says something which is then manually reversed after the recording and lay'd down onto the track.

Prince, amongst others, used the later technique in his recording of his song 'Darling Niki' that plays in reverse as "Hello .. how are you ? .. I'm fine because I know the Lord is coming, coming soon."

I'm unsure whether this belongs here or in 'Celebrities & the Paranormal'. Oh well, here goes.

Here's comedian Jack Dee being interviewed by John Hegley. At 18 minutes there's the revelation that Jack once enlisted the services of an exorcist (it's not a joke, it's an anecdote). I found it rather interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00773xf

Adobe Flash is required, unfortunately.

I'm not sure if there's already a thread for these, couldn't easily find one by searching.
Anyway, I've been reading Julie Walters' 2008 autobiography, 'That's Another Story' and on pp61-63 she recounts a very peculiar poltergeist experience when she was about 12. Having moved bedrooms, one night the light kept switching itself on, stopping only when she - rather bravely, I thought - told it to 'stop it'. In the morning, on the bedroom floor was a scrap of paper on which her by then deceased grandmother had written her name several times some years before as part of a game the two had been playing. This scrap had, perhaps, been treasured by her senile granny and kept locked in a trunk of her possessions that stood outside the door of Julie's new bedroom.
It's rather typical in its inconsequential nature, and she doesn't make anything more of it than a straight recounting of her memory of the event.
Are there many other such autobiographical accounts of the supernatural from people who might perhaps have an eye on public perceptions of them and perhaps be a bit wary of discussing such things? I recall Alec Guinness having a few such tales including his premonition of James Dean's death, but not all that many others.

I misread that as 'Harry Corbett' and imagined his wriggling hand up their arses forever, with no possible response save an anguished SQUEEEEEAK.

Phew - I misunderstood that as Matthew Corbett, who according to wikipedia, is still alive at 70.

Gadzooks - I misread that as Ronnie Corbett sitting there for eternity in an Lyle & Scott Jumper

I'm not sure if there's already a thread for these, couldn't easily find one by searching.
Anyway, I've been reading Julie Walters' 2008 autobiography, 'That's Another Story' and on pp61-63 she recounts a very peculiar poltergeist experience when she was about 12. Having moved bedrooms, one night the light kept switching itself on, stopping only when she - rather bravely, I thought - told it to 'stop it'. In the morning, on the bedroom floor was a scrap of paper on which her by then deceased grandmother had written her name several times some years before as part of a game the two had been playing. This scrap had, perhaps, been treasured by her senile granny and kept locked in a trunk of her possessions that stood outside the door of Julie's new bedroom.
It's rather typical in its inconsequential nature, and she doesn't make anything more of it than a straight recounting of her memory of the event.
Are there many other such autobiographical accounts of the supernatural from people who might perhaps have an eye on public perceptions of them and perhaps be a bit wary of discussing such things? I recall Alec Guinness having a few such tales including his premonition of James Dean's death, but not all that many others.

Joan Rivers had a story of living with a poltergeist ,"Mrs Spencer", she grew fond of her and wasn't afraid to talk about it.

http://www.scaryforkids.com/joan-rivers/

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2015/08/joan-rivers-haunted-penthouse-gutted-by-new-owner/

As a fan of silent films, I would be remiss if I did not mention that the ghost of silent actress, Olive Thomas, haunts the New Amsterdam Theater in New York City. Olive started her career in the Ziegfeld Follies. It is said that Flo Ziegfeld took a real shine to her so she was hustled off to Hollywood at the suggestion of Ziegfeld’s wife, Billie Burke (later Glinda in The Wizard of Oz).

Olive was talented as well as beautiful and her film appearances were well received. She was a wild-child though and soon took up with Mary Pickford’s ne’er-do-well brother, Jack. The two married but the union was not a happy one. A reconciliation trip took the two to Paris and, after a night of drinking, Olive “accidentally” ingested a medication containing mercury. She died a few days later.

The New Amsterdam hosted the Ziegfeld Follies so it’s not unusual that Olive might chose there to cause mischief since her untimely demise in 1920. Just recently, the current owners of the theater reported that they were there discussing the film “The Artist”, which is set in the silent film era. Ms. Thomas was mentioned in the conversation but, when one person suggested that Mary Pickford was the real star of the era, a stack of DVDs sitting on a nearby table went flying across the room. Apparently, Olive didn’t take kindly to the slight.

At any rate, the theater reports that they routinely check to make sure Olive’s fans don’t remain past closing time hoping to catch a glimpse of her.

10710-83cf36dedf33e882c8c1f8276c18245d.jpg

Attachments

• tumblr_lysqwtJNEF1qlxozvo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_lysqwtJNEF1qlxozvo1_1280.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I know this old thread concerns a TV show with the same title but I'm struggling to find somewhere suitable to put these. [Yith: now merged] Jordan Peterson is famous enough but the stories themselves don't include any actual ghosts. Anyway, they're entertaining and not very long.

Famous Person Relates Two Tales of Moderate Strangeness.

Back in May of this year, my wife and I took a trip the the U.S to celebrate her 50th birthday. As we're Australians, we arrived in Los Angeles before heading to the east coast and spent a couple of nights at one of the most haunted hotels in the world, the Hollywood Roosevelt.
Amongst the plethora of spirits that reputedly haunt the building, there are two legends from the golden age of Hollywood that still call the hotel home.
Marilyn Monroe lived in cabana room 1200 for over two years when she was an up and coming young actress. Her first swimsuit photoshoot took place by the pool, now more famous for having been painted by David Hockney and it's all night parties.
Montgomery Clift also haunts room 928 and the hallway outside where he practiced the bugle during his three month stay whilst filming 'From Here To Eternity'.
Carole Lombard and Errol Flynn supposedly never left the building either.
It's a great hotel, beautiful too and full of history. Bill 'Bojangles' Robinson taught Shirley Temple their dance routine on the Spanish tiled staircase just off the lobby and the first Academy Awards were held here. The list of celebrities who've stayed and have checked out is a mile long.
We stayed in room 1005 and I'm sad to report that we experienced no paranormal activity whatsoever.
However, I did pop down to the 9th floor to see if I could catch a glimpse of Montgomery, but alas, no luck. You'll have to make do with this image of his room number.
room928.jpg

I've been reading The Dirt, Motley Crue's autobiography, and there's a bit where the man who signed the band went around to Nikki Sixx's house where he was staying with Lita Ford, to see they had been dabbling in Satanism, and were seriously suffering for it. They had put symbols all over the walls, and had apparently been conducting some sort of ceremony, but the upshot was, when the exec visited them, they were cowering on the sofa.

That's when the exec saw a knife and fork lift from the table of their own accord and stick in the ceiling - the ceiling was covered in cutlery that was stuck in it. He managed to convince them to give up Satanism, and change the name of the new Crue album from Shout with the Devil to Shout at the Devil. That's not even the most outrageous story I've read so far, but it is the most supernatural one.

I've been reading The Dirt, Motley Crue's autobiography, and there's a bit where the man who signed the band went around to Nikki Sixx's house where he was staying with Lita Ford, to see they had been dabbling in Satanism, and were seriously suffering for it. They had put symbols all over the walls, and had apparently been conducting some sort of ceremony, but the upshot was, when the exec visited them, they were cowering on the sofa.

That's when the exec saw a knife and fork lift from the table of their own accord and stick in the ceiling - the ceiling was covered in cutlery that was stuck in it. He managed to convince them to give up Satanism, and change the name of the new Crue album from Shout with the Devil to Shout at the Devil. That's not even the most outrageous story I've read so far, but it is the most supernatural one.
I've read it and there is some really outrageous stuff in it. Funnily enough when I think of people dabbling in Satanism, I often think of Nikki Sixx in that chapter.

Yes, they're a band I'd normally wouldn't give the time of day to musically (though I am partial to Doctor Feelgood - their song, that is), but the book is a wealth of incredible anecdotes. They do seem like pretty awful people, but then again they've accepted that and are fine with it.

Back