• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Elon Musk's Starman Conspiracy

Yes indeed. This would explain Musk's panicked joyride escape to Mars in that suspended animation suit...and his replacement by a malfunctioning android.
That's Chuck Norris behind the wheel.

It can't be Chuck Norris ...

First off, His Chuckness wouldn't be caught dead in a vehicle any less manly than a behemoth 4WD truck festooned with bull bars, earthmover-sized knobby tires, and enough auxiliary lights to illuminate Ceres end-to-end.

Second, Norris would have taken his star turn on the first orbit, shucked off the pantywaist spacesuit, and swan-dived back to earth.

I suspect Musk's penchant for symbolism and proper acknowledgment of pop history runs much, much deeper ...

That's the mummified corpse of Evel Knievel, and this space shot is the Valhalla-class eternal jump his legacy warranted ....

:stig:

If anything, the Starman-in-the-car bit was a massive misdirection, hiding the much more conspiratorial aspect of the payload - a prototype cultural archive intended to provide data on our species for millions of years ...

The Most Interesting Thing Shot into Space Last Week Wasn't a Tesla
There was a second payload on board the SpaceX Falcon Heavy that launched Tuesday (Feb. 6), and (unlike the Tesla Roadster) it's built to last 14 billion years.

SpaceX confirmed during its pre-launch livestream that the gadget, called an Arch, is tucked away somewhere inside the red Tesla Roadster now floating through space. It's a simple-looking object: a clear, thick disk of quartz crystal, about an inch across, with lettering across its face. It could almost be a small business award — best car dealership maybe, or top pizza restaurant — except for the data etched microscopically into its body with powerful, high-frequency lasers.

And that data, or at least the future suggested by that data, is what earned the Arch a ride aboard the Roadster. ...

Pronounced "ark" as in "archive," it's part of a very Silicon Valley plan to — as technology investor, self-described futurist and Arch Mission Foundation co-founder Nova Spivack explained it to Live Science — create "a self-replicating, meta-level process to perpetuate human civilization." ...

FULL STORY: https://www.space.com/39660-arch-space-archive-falcon-heavy.html

The Starman is live again - or is it? :thought: :evil:

I know staring at anything for a long time can make your eyes play tricks on you but I could swear I've just seen a word overlapping Earth ? .. WTF? .. I'm not joking .. I just got enough time to focus on it before the windshield cut it off from view. Is there writing on the windsheild glass of the car? ..

I know staring at anything for a long time can make your eyes play tricks on you but I could swear I've just seen a word overlapping Earth ? .. WTF? .. I'm not joking .. I just got enough time to focus on it before the windshield cut it off from view. Is there writing on the windsheild glass of the car? ..
Watermarking of the video stream?

The Starman is live again - or is it? :thought: :evil:
I know that most people here are simply accepting this all, as depicted reality, but, please, help me out.

Within your paradigm of understanding, do you believe that the image being seen, right now on the LIVE feed linked by @Vardoger above , is a real-time transmission of where the Roadster/Falcon actually is, relative to the Earth?

Screenshot_2018-02-13-08-01-43.png

(The image on the left, of the hand/tablet, appeared, as I was taking the screen-shot. What is it?)

OR - is this a 'Live' rebroadcast of previously-recorded content?

Come on, Forteans- the picture above is taken from the so-called live stream timed at 0800UTC/GMT on Tue 13 Feb 2018.

The stock-car payload has been travelling for a week.

Why is the Earth still so big in the background?

Is the Star Man being represented as still orbiting the Earth, in some kind of geostationary sense?

If so, why was it announced that there had already been some miscalculation (yes? please keep me right, here, people) in the intended interplanetary trajectory, and the flight was already committed to an asteroid belt path? How can that be reconciled with the Roadster rotating not too far above a large, blue (landmass-less) Earth??

I know that most people here are simply accepting this all, as depicted reality, but, please, help me out.

Within your paradigm of understanding, do you believe that the image being seen, right now on the LIVE feed linked by @Vardoger above , is a real-time transmission of where the Roadster/Falcon actually is, relative to the Earth?

View attachment 8443
(The image on the left, of the hand/tablet, appeared, as I was taking the screen-shot. What is it?)

Come on, Forteans- the picture above is taken from the so-called live stream timed at 0800UTC/GMT on Tue 13 Feb 2018.

The stock-car payload has been travelling for a week.

Why is the Earth still so big in the background?

Is the Star Man being represented as still orbiting the Earth, in some kind of geostationary sense?

If so, why was it announced that there had already been some miscalculation (yes? please keep me right, here, people) in the intended interplanetary trajectory, and the flight was already committed to an asteroid belt path? How can that be reconciled with the Roadster rotating not too far above a large, blue (landmass-less) Earth??

Granted the returning rocket sequence did look awfully like CGI, and there are indeed
a lot of unanswered questions about the car in space issue... but these matters are being raised by a source who believes the Moon landing images to be hoaxes, the recent Paris bombings to have been False Flags and Donald Trump to be a fictional character.

There's a strong element of The Boy Who Cried Wolf scenario to poster's response - or lack of it -to your attempt at whistle blowing.

(^Said with the greatest respect, btw).

No.

Yes.

Here is Elon Musk's Instagram from last week, showing the last available picture of the car. The video feed was powered by the car's battery. That only last 12 hours or so.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be6VZEzgAEk/

No.

Yes.

Here is Elon Musk's Instagram from last week, showing the last available picture of the car. The video feed was powered by the car's battery. That only last 12 hours or so.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be6VZEzgAEk/
Exactly correct. I thought I was watching a Live Feed a few days after the event but then I realised that it wasn't live. It was a recording of the live broadcast before the car headed off on its journey. Musk even told us that the burn had been incorrect and that the Roadster would miss Mars orbit by quite a long shot, this less than one day after the launch.

So No, the feed is not Live. Yes, the car is on its way.

It's exact whereabouts can be found via Nasa's Horizon's page: https://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons.cgi#results

Search Target Body for "SpaceX Roadster" and you'll get all the far-too-complicated-to-understand information you need.

No.
The video feed was powered by the car's battery. That only last 12 hours or so.

How come?

I'm sure the Falcon could've coped with the terrific extra weight of a few batteries and a solar panel or two - even if only to take regular still images. It might be argued that there's not much to see on the way to Mars but I can't see any reason for deliberately not keeping the imaging going. Seems odd.

PS. Moving pictures from ground-based telescope here

My crappy $100 car battery lasts 12 hours playing a radio, so why does a state of the art electric car that runs on batteries, (and starts at $101,000) only last 12 hours? C'mon, Elon...you can do better!

And I know its cold in space, but it's pretty effing cold in Canada too, eh.:nods:

How come?

PS. Moving pictures from ground-based telescope here

I saw this a few days ago and read a comment asking what the other moving object was. About 3 cm in front of the bright dot is another moving object - same speed and trajectory. Is it part of the nose casing or is it just a false artefact created by overlaying lots of still images?

My crappy $100 car battery lasts 12 hours playing a radio, so why does a state of the art electric car that runs on batteries, (and starts at $101,000) only last 12 hours? C'mon, Elon...you can do better!

And I know its cold in space, but it's pretty effing cold in Canada too, eh.:nods:
Your crappy car didn't have to broadcast back to earth.

I saw this a few days ago and read a comment asking what the other moving object was. About 3 cm in front of the bright dot is another moving object - same speed and trajectory. Is it part of the nose casing or is it just a false artefact created by overlaying lots of still images?

There's no mention of an additional object at the source's (Virtual Telescope Project's) webpage about this:

https://www.virtualtelescope.eu/2018/02/08/elon-musks-tesla-roadster-imaged-8-feb-2018/

If you look at the VTP's linked page showing the screenshot of its target acquisition:

https://www.virtualtelescope.eu/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/TeslaRoadster_08feb2018.jpg

... you'll see that the Roadster's position (marked with two red lines) is prior to any position shown in the eventual video.

As to the odd secondary moving item ...

There are multiple such items visible at one time or another within the video. These include 'black objects' that intermittently or persistently appear as moving specks. I suspect these black bits are dropped or filtered-out pixels resulting from digital processing.

One such black bit 'flies' parallel to the secondary bright moving object to the right of the Roadster and stays precisely a few pixels below it in the image.

This right-side moving object appears to jiggle or jump during its movement (i.e., it's not a smooth continuous trajectory). This makes me suspect it could well be an imagery or processing artifact.

If you look closely off to the left of the Roadster, you'll see a fainter version of the right side secondary moving object enter the picture, unaccompanied by a black bit. It's at the same approximate (I emphasize 'approximate') vertical elevation as the right side object, moving in the same direction.

There are two thin black vertical lines bracketing the Roadster imagery. I don't know for sure, but I suspect these represent the image capture region or 'frame' from the Tenegra telescope. The left side secondary moving object is outside this region / frame.

Here's a preliminary assessment of the Roadster's long-term prospects ...

Musk's Tesla to stay in space for millions of years
The Tesla car that Elon Musk launched into space is likely to stay there for tens of millions of years before crashing into the Earth or Venus.

That's the conclusion of an analysis by Czech and Canadian researchers.

They calculated that the roadster has a 6% chance of colliding with Earth and a 2.5% probability of hitting Venus over the next million years.

But there's no cause for concern: if it eventually returns to Earth, most of the vehicle will burn up. ...

The team's computer simulations suggest there is a very slim chance of the vehicle colliding with the Sun, but little to no chance of the car hitting Mars.

The results have been published on the Arxiv.org pre-print server. ...

Dr Hanno Rein and colleagues, ran a computer simulation 240 times to understand how the Tesla's orbit would evolve over the course of 3.5 million years. ...

The researchers wondered whether long-term gravitational interactions - known as strong resonances - between the sports car and giant planets like Jupiter might draw the object outwards. But this did not seem to be the case.

Instead, the car's orbit over short and long timescales appears to be dominated by close encounters with the Earth. Over time, interactions with Venus become more common. ...

There's very little chance of the Tesla hitting other asteroids, but over time, the vehicle's appearance might change "dramatically" as it's peppered by very tiny micrometeorites.

Dr Rein said the Tesla is likely to make a close approach to Earth every 30 years or so, with a pass in 2091 that's within the distance from the Earth to the Moon.

"It's a very small object so I'm not sure how easy it will be to observe it over a year or so - I think it will be very faint," said Dr Rein. ...

FULL STORY: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-43063379

ABSTRACT OF CITED PAPER: https://arxiv.org/abs/1802.04718

Interesting thread. I have to admit to being completely and utterly on the fence with this one - I just can't make my mind up whether the car really is up there or not.

Plus, if I was going to put a car in space I would have put batteries on it that would last a heck of a lot longer than 12 hours - people want to see footage from further out in space, not just orbiting Earth.

The logical part of me says it wasn't possible to put enough batteries / or broadcast back to Earth from further away.

The cynical part of me says they wouldn't have been able to keep up the pretence once it was supposedly out of Earth's orbit.

:cooll:

Plus... am I the only one on here that had never heard of Elon Musk until this story broke? Yes, I've heard of Tesla cars, and yes I'm interested in space stuff. But, this guy - to my frame of reference anyway - seems to have appeared out of nowhere.

He was even mentioned on Star Trek.

So is this vision real, or is it pre-recorded CGI again? Looks very similar in appearance to the car video. Glowing 2SE bell etc.

Hmm... ok I haven't had time to watch the whole thing but I skipped to when the first shots of the satellite(s)(?) appeared with Earth in the background. Was two of them launched? Because it switched between different views of earth, as in my crude screenshots here:

upload_2018-5-23_20-52-28.png

and

upload_2018-5-23_20-53-7.png

Please excuse my ignorance of what is going on here because I don't follow anything that SpaceX / Elon Musk does so I'm not familiar with this mission. :)

As to whether it's real or not? I don't know... I'm remaining firmly on the fence where this chap is concerned.

One thing I will say though - recently I saw a video with an interview with Elon Musk on TV or Youtube - and although I can't for the life of me remember what the interview was about, the only thing I do remember is how utterly painful it was to watch the chap trying to string a sentence together. It was like pulling teeth. :buck:

I flicked through that rather-long video. It all looked pretty authentic, with no obvious CGI.
There was a bit of repetition with footage of the glowing engine in space - I noticed a sequence where some debris slid from the area covered in foil to the glowing engine. A few seconds later, this sequence repeated. Not sure why they did that, but it could just be bad video editing.

I do remember is how utterly painful it was to watch the chap trying to string a sentence together. It was like pulling teeth.
And tell me...does he remind you, of any other shrinking-violet media-victim?

As to whether it's real or not? I don't know... I'm remaining firmly on the fence where this chap is concerned.
I strongly recommend you remain just exactly there.
to deploy five Iridium satellites
But Iridium (whilst good, and technically-slick) is overpriced and underbought, even by federal/governmental agencies? And has not been invested in for an extremely-long period of time.

Watch out, Grimes, you'll be in orbit too, soon enough! He does it to everything he loves!

... But Iridium (whilst good, and technically-slick) is overpriced and underbought, even by federal/governmental agencies? And has not been invested in for an extremely-long period of time.

Iridium's original corporate structure went bankrupt. The new owners have been working for years to upgrade / replace the original constellation with second-generation Iridium 'NEXT' satellites. This upgrade project accomplished the first deployment of 5 new 'NEXT' satellites at the beginning of 2017. This latest launch represented the second deployment, involving an additional 5 satellites. Under the second-generation upgrade scheme, they've got circa 70 more 'NEXT' satellites to get aloft from now until who-knows-when in the 2020's.

And tell me...does he remind you, of any other shrinking-violet media-victim?

Um... well off the top of my head I'd say Donald Trump, although he's not quite as unwatchable as Musk, cuz at least he can start and finish a sentence without sending us all comatose in the process.

I strongly recommend you remain just exactly there.

Ok good, I kinda like it here. It's comfy and I have biscuits.
I get the feeling you're more decided though - am I right? :)

I was thinking back to the rocket launch and the wonderfully perfect way the rockets landed back down again, and I finally realised what it reminded me of:

-Skip to 2min 15:)

Back