• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unknown Animal Captured On Video In Louisiana

Actually, I see no creature at all, but a small still eddy in the current, making a very smooth patch on the water. At the beginning of the shot, the spot looks dark, because it is reflecting the tree across the river. As the angle of the camera changes, the reflection changes to the sky, which makes the smooth surface of that particular spot go light.

If it was a large creature suddenly submerging,(quickly enough to create what it seems that people think is white water) where is the wave it would create? In even the few seconds till the plane is directly overhead, there should be ripples spreading out from the disturbance.

I'm minded of the Mythbusters episode in which they tested the theory that a sinking vessel would suck down escapees in the water a la Hollywood (it didn't). The striking fact was how little turbulence was caused by a quickly decending boat of considerable size. If I recall, it was more of a plop than a splash with little in the way of ripples. A river is going to be calmer than even a sheltered harbour (where the test was conducted), but I'm still not overly worried by the lack of waves--especially if object/creature descended more or less vertically.

Just thinking aloud.

Last edited:
It was interesting footage and certainly at the end seemed to resemble a large aquatic creature diving, but before that it looked like some form of tidal (for want of a better word) effect/sinkhole/something disturbing the river bed. Intriguing, yes, but I fear not a new creature.

To be fair, this is a decent quality video, offered up immediately with a pretty good analysis of the size/angles and so on. That it's not quite possible to say exactly what was seen on film is a pity, but it's still good clear footage and hasn't come with the usual shenanigans of hiding it and huffing off and all that crap.

Thanks for posting it John Doe.

My 10c worth:
I watched the OP's video through and my first thought was that it was a reflection of the far bank's treeline off a boat wake. I grew up on a river like that one and it just struck me as entirely mundane. Anticipating the cry of "no boats in the video", I add that a wake can roll and grow for many minutes after the craft has gone about and disappeared around the riverbend. Without any more than the tasty little flash of movement offered, it is impossible to say exactly what it is that creates the apparent surface disturbance. However, I'd place 'watermonster' at the bottom of a long list of other possibilities. Rogue saurian - possible.

I do find it curious that the author has an email address at the end of the video named specifically for the so-called anomaly, but for the purpose of what? I wonder what would be waiting at the other end of that gmail account. Tbh, it rather raises my suspicions this is clickbait or perhaps a team trying to resource a new Nessie type mythos. Who knows.

My thoughts would be that the splash doesn't seem to to fit with a object submerging. Also could we have a location for the place? Apologies if one has been given and missed I've missed it.

I don't think that this shows an animal personally, but I'd like to know more about the area it was filmed in.

... Also could we have a location for the place? Apologies if one has been given and missed I've missed it. ...

Here are the Google Maps coordinates John Doe posted earlier:

31.864159, -91.573185

So you came here solely to hype a video that you claim is a mysterious animal and won't provide the names of sources who commented on if it's an animal? You certainly do not make a good case.

I'm not wasting my time on this. This is why cryptozoology is a joke.
Cryptozoology is only a joke to arrogant idiots like you.

If the 27 foot estimate is accurate then its far too big to be an alligator. The only crocodilian that reaches these lengths is the saltwater crocodile. The idea of a whale reaching this area is unlikely. I'd plump for a hoax.

Ok didn’t know where to put this. But this might do. I’m not sure I believe any of these. Either the camera is too bad to see or it looks made up, or it’s a bear. But worth a share anyway.

Ok didn’t know where to put this. But this might do. I’m not sure I believe any of these. Either the camera is too bad to see or it looks made up, or it’s a bear. But worth a share anyway.
Some intriguing ones there, and 3 or 4 that are clearly nothing paranormal - CGI or man in suit.

Bit the narration... that's truly weird!

So you came here solely to hype a video that you claim is a mysterious animal and won't provide the names of sources who commented on if it's an animal? You certainly do not make a good case.

I'm not wasting my time on this. This is why cryptozoology is a joke.

You are making a valid point in some ways, but in such sweeping terms that you are damaging your own argument.

Yes, there is a strand within cryptozoology (and every other area of Forteana) where people thrive on the excitement and fantasy, and promote videos and anecdotes uncritically.

However, there are others who make serious attempts at finding evidence; others who make serious scientific attempts at debunking myths and hoaxes; and others who take a genuine and deep interest in the mythology and psychology associated with the subject.

Condemning the entire field as a "joke" is unfair. It would be more constructive to distinguish between the different strands and attitudes and be selective about which ones you give weight to and which ones you dismiss.

The behavior of many of these self-proclaimed skeptics suggests deep insecurity. Sometimes you just have to wonder who it is they are trying to convince.

You are making a valid point in some ways, but in such sweeping terms that you are damaging your own argument.

Yes, there is a strand within cryptozoology (and every other area of Forteana) where people thrive on the excitement and fantasy, and promote videos and anecdotes uncritically.

However, there are others who make serious attempts at finding evidence; others who make serious scientific attempts at debunking myths and hoaxes; and others who take a genuine and deep interest in the mythology and psychology associated with the subject.

Condemning the entire field as a "joke" is unfair. It would be more constructive to distinguish between the different strands and attitudes and be selective about which ones you give weight to and which ones you dismiss.

I can't remember when I even wrote this. But there are different communities or tribes of cryptozoology. If you go to, say, the Cryptozoology general Facebook page, it's rife with tabloid stories, fake videos, and people who want to talk about dragons and demons. They also don't care much for anything related to zoology and will call the mystery carcass a prehistoric monster, mutant, alien, etc. instead of listening to experts who can examine the bones. What is the point of that other than to have fun or discuss it as a lark?

The behavior of many of these self-proclaimed skeptics suggests deep insecurity. Sometimes you just have to wonder who it is they are trying to convince.

I'm not a self-proclaimed Skeptic. Too much baggage. As I wrote in another thread on cryptozoology, I'm very serious. Maybe too serious because I don't appreciate garbage evidence put forward as legitimate. You've assumed I'm trying to convince someone. Not at all. My efforts have only been to offer a more reasonable explanation and to take as stand against people promoting pseudoscience. There is plenty of sound work out there regarding claims of mystery animals. YouTube videos are rarely that.

That's a hell of a lot more intelligent reply than "I'm not wasting my time on this. This is why cryptozoology is a joke."

Last edited:
Yes, please do, Austin.

I also disagreed with her earlier comments, but she's been grown up and come back to respond to your criticism, so you ought to dispense with the snark.

I figured she was fair game, having been called an idiot with no moderation. Oh well, guess I'm still learning the ropes 'round here. Sorry if my sarcasm ruffled some feathers. No, really, I mean it.

I figured she was fair game, having been called an idiot with no moderation. Oh well, guess I'm still learning the ropes 'round here. Sorry if my sarcasm ruffled some feathers. No, really, I mean it.

If she was called an idiot and I didn't say anything about it, it can only be because I missed it.

I do read the vast majority of content posted here, but not quite everything.

Sorry if the wrong impression was given as a result.

I have removed the offending word. Now it looks like I said something nasty. Oh well, this ain't my first day on the internet. Bedtime here.

Back