• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Elon Musk's Starman Conspiracy

well off the top of my head I'd say Donald Trump
...good call, although he's much-more realistic (well, superficially). No, I am reminded strongly of Mark ("Sorry") Zuckerberg, another 'triumph of the embalmer's art'.
mark-zuckerberg-undereye-circles.jpg

And Musk is also highly-resonant with Edward Snowden...another fine figure of a mediocre media man.
220px-Edward_Snowden-2.jpg

(Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's...)

As a true Fortean, I detect first. Distinguish differentials. Try to decide. Then, ideally define. And if I can't define, or decide, I continue detecting.

...good call, although he's much-more realistic (well, superficially). No, I am reminded strongly of Mark ("Sorry") Zuckerberg, another 'triumph of the embalmer's art'.
And Musk is also highly-resonant with Edward Snowden...another fine figure of a mediocre media man.

Ah... see, I'll admit to having never watched Mark Zuckerberg speaking (that I can remember) - or Edward Snowden for that matter. Maybe I need to get out more. :)

As a true Fortean, I detect first. Distinguish differentials. Try to decide. Then, ideally define. And if I can't define, or decide, I continue detecting.

I like to question things and not take everything at face value like the media wants us to, but I've a long way to go before I get to Ermintruder-level :)

I'm interested to know... what is your take on Musk/Zuckerberg/Snowden/Trump et al? Fake 'plants' (i.e. the real person-in-charge is someone we don't get to see), or something else? I'm probably not thinking big enough, am I.

I like to question things and not take everything at face value
Please maintain that cautious selectivity. Seriously. It is the fundamental Fortean characteristic.
I've a long way to go before I get to Ermintruder-level
My pile of questions grows higher every day, and I rarely find absolute answers to anything. But realising that there are questions in the first place, that do require answers, is sometimes the most-important part of the puzzle.

Be very-careful about opening the Pandora's Box of permanent doubter, though. It become almost a form of extended atheism....(I suppose that might almost be nameable as antitheorism, a active disbelief in beliefs, and a step beyond mere atheorism).

what is your take on Musk/Zuckerberg/Snowden/Trump et al?
Well- as I said, I (and, I believe, all of us mere humans) can and should...
detect first. Distinguish differentials. Try to decide. Then, ideally define. And if I can't define, or decide, I continue detecting

We should all be sensitive to anomalies of represention, in this information age of disinformation, where baselines are not nearly as fixed as many of us trust them to be.

Consider a scenario. You are indoors, and you hear what sounds like a massive crash outside. Someone comes in and tells you, they think there must've been a crash, but they're not sure exactly what's happened, because of the crowd/cordon/smoke. It's mundane, in a sense, because it happened close to you, almost in your back yard.

Later, you see news video footage on tv, and pictures in the late papers (by this I really mean you see on your tablet a couple of online newsclips, and a few popup pictures on Facebook). Hey, that's your street. You make that familiarity fit, the territorial ownership of recognition and personal contextualisation take immediate control.

Ok, it is so sad that the King of the World was killed in a road accident just outside your house, today. And tomorrow, there will be a new king crowned.

And then those pictures. Of places, or even faces that are as familiar as the back of your own hand. Wait...do you remember that Bus Stop sign, there, over by the junction? You look out the window, there is no Bus Stop sign, and there never was....or was there?

Artificial (or tactically-amended) depictions of actual realities, or artificial representations of mundane apparent realities, are still artificial.

Where the agendas are clear, and the coronation:assassination cycles are obvious (or at least conceivable) then an arc of intent may be inferred...at least within the confines of a shared plane of narrative continuity (societal/historical/whatever).

It is simply not acceptable for anyone in the world, today, to hide behind the ramparts of cui bono incredulity or apply the weak counter-case of proportionate improbabilities. Nor is it any defence to deflect and deny via the application of group-learnt lables ('conspiracy theorist' being one of the most over-used tar-brushes of all).

We as Forteans owe it to ourselves (and our slumbering fellow citizens) to alway see when we are looking, and actually listen when we are hearing.

Mods: I apologise for having taken this Elon Musk thread somewhat off-topic.

But I make no apologies for continuing to identify that there is an undeniable similarity of unreality in much of what is presented to us, via various media channels, as being real. And it is (to me) frequently a bigger puzzle as to why certain depictions of reality are so overtly false, rather than that committed action itself (ie the 'how so?' outweighs or equals the 'why so?')
...or something else?
Oh, I think there are many somethings else...I stress, I'm not even sure that there are answers. But there are many valid questions.

..Be very-careful about opening the Pandora's Box of permanent doubter, though..

Yes, most forums (including FT) have their contingent of kneejerk doubters and skeptics who try to pour cold water on everything. Usually they have no theories or opinions of their own and seem to exist only to snipe at other peoples theories and ideas etc..:)

Please maintain that cautious selectivity. Seriously. It is the fundamental Fortean characteristic.

My pile of questions grows higher every day, and I rarely find absolute answers to anything. But realising that there are questions in the first place, that do require answers, is sometimes the most-important part of the puzzle.

Thank you very much, Ermintruder, for that detailed and very interesting reply to my questions. :) It is reassuring to know that I am somewhat on the right lines with my thoughts and attitudes, and is one of those posts that I want to live several times so here:

Like x 100 :D

Be very-careful about opening the Pandora's Box of permanent doubter, though. It become almost a form of extended atheism....(I suppose that might almost be nameable as antitheorism, a active disbelief in beliefs, and a step beyond mere atheorism).

That's a very good point - in recent years since I've become awakened (for want of a better word) to the fact that not everything we are told is as we are led to believe - it has caused me to lose some of my incredulity at things, um... my enjoyment, in a sense.

What I mean is - whereas, for example, I would watch a video of some purported unexplained event and be enthralled at the wonder of all these mysterious things we can't explain, nowadays the feeling that "oh it's probably faked" has the tendency to spoil it somewhat.

But saying that, would I want to go back to my more "innocent" days when I did take everything at face value? No, probably not. :)

There's a lot of things in say the last 5 or 6 years that I seriously question, but they're among the realms of "conspiracy" things which aren't for this thread :D

I don't think you're going awfully far off-topic with what you said; it is relevant, after all, to the whole "Elon Musk Magic Show" as it were.

EDIT: Fixed broken quote tags. Sorry 'bout that.

Last edited:
I haven't been following this thread or the story. What exactly is the conspiracy - that his space exploits are faked?

I haven't been following this thread or the story. What exactly is the conspiracy - that his space exploits are faked?

Pretty much. Part of the nobody believes anything anymore movement, an offshoot of the how dare you tell me what to do movement. For the record (is this counting as a record?) I think he's rich enough to get up to his mixture of serious exploits and eccentric splashing of the cash, so he's on the level. It's not as if the super-rich don't have a precedent for bizarre behaviour throughout history. But the way he goes about it sets off alarm bells in the suspicious.

Presumably people are present when these things take off..

Presumably people are present when these things take off..

They take videos too, which the sceptics believe are CGI - they have faith in realistic computer graphics, but nevertheless believe they can still detect them when used for fakery.

What's the point of the fakery? What is he hoping to gain?

I just don't get all the trash talking. Guy makes tons of money, does really cool things with it instead of just the usual billionaire bullshit, and people hate him. I think he's an interesting character, and to me he comes across as a rational and intelligent person in his interviews. I think SpaceX is really neat. I want a Tesla. As far as the "It's all GCI" crapola, well, we do have an active thread here where we discuss actual people who swear they believe the Earth is flat. That still boggles my mind, but I'm beginning to suspect I should not be surprised at all.

I just don't get all the trash talking. Guy makes tons of money, does really cool things with it instead of just the usual billionaire bullshit, and people hate him. I think he's an interesting character, and to me he comes across as a rational and intelligent person in his interviews. I think SpaceX is really neat. I want a Tesla. As far as the "It's all GCI" crapola, well, we do have an active thread here where we discuss actual people who swear they believe the Earth is flat. That still boggles my mind, but I'm beginning to suspect I should not be surprised at all.

He does appear to be letting the "eccentric" side of his brain rule at the moment, maybe he should try staying off social media for a while - the left are starting to compare him to a proto-Trump. Not quite accurate: Musk actually makes money.

its more iinteresting i think that he sees his wealth as a lottery win and rather than spend his money on paying his employees better he tries to push his dream of moving heavily industry and plebs to the nastiest space rock he can find and keeping the earth for his billionare chums

He does appear to be letting the "eccentric" side of his brain rule at the moment, maybe he should try staying off social media for a while - the left are starting to compare him to a proto-Trump. Not quite accurate: Musk actually makes money.
There are a number of threads that cross at this point. Certainly, if this article (possibly NSFW due to very strong language) is to be believed - and it sadly seems only too plausible - then Musk seems to have a strong following among the same demographic that approve of the the "grab 'em by the pussy" remark.

Hopefully this news belongs in this thread and not the Elon Musk one, Space X's Falcon 9 is 'doing' a launch and a landing tomorrow morning at 3:30 am GMT which will be broadcast live on the link below ..

https://www.spacex.com/webcast

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Schrodinger's Zebra, post: 1748997, member: 55559"

Plus... am I the only one on here that had never heard of Elon Musk until this story broke? Yes, I've heard of Tesla cars, and yes I'm interested in space stuff. But, this guy - to my frame of reference anyway - seems to have appeared out of nowhere.[/QUOTE]

Nope I swear he’s just been invented in the last couple of years.

Also anyone getting Iron Man vibes of the flying armour suit?:thought:

Elon Musk was actually in Iron Man 2. He might have stolen Tony's design.

Now, a rival car in space or at least in the stratosphere.

Just over a year after Elon Musk sent his Tesla car into space, a Siberian start-up has launched its own more modest motor satellite.

The Russian craft is not a smart sports car, but a large-scale model of a red Soviet-era Lada.

Rather than Tesla's space-suited Starman mannequin, the ToSky start-up sent up a smaller dummy in the likeness of Dmitry Rogozin, the outspoken head of Russia's Roscosmos space agency.

Internet users picked Mr Rogozin over other candidates, including a dummy of the late Stephen Hawking or a cactus, Radio Liberty's Siberian news site reports. Mr Rogozin's figure, seated at the wheel of the Lada, reached an altitude of 20km (12.5 miles) before landing 150km from the launch site with the help of a parachute.

The Tomsk-based start-up hopes to learn more about automatic stratostats, which can spend a long time in the stratosphere.

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-48615344

Starman in his Tesla has already had his closest flyby of Mars and is now heading out into lonelier space at a speed of approx 38,000 mph.
At the time of writing it has reached 87 million miles or 7.79 light minutes from Earth.
You can track its location on this website.
Wonder if that loop of the Bowie song is still playing?

https://www.whereisroadster.com/

mark-zuckerberg-undereye-circles.jpg

220px-Edward_Snowden-2.jpg

(Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's...)

If you zoom in real close on facebook mans right eye, you can see the death of time itself.

Back