• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

They Fuck You Up, Your Mum & Dad

What's wrong with Lucifer? Hail Satan!

OH, HELL NO: GERMAN AUTHORITIES STOP PARENTS FROM NAMING THEIR SON LUCIFER

BERLIN (AP) — A baby in Germany won’t be named Lucifer after authorities intervened.

A registrar in the central city of Kassel sought clarification from the local district court after a couple sought to give their son the name. Court official Matthias Grund told news agency dpa Wednesday that the registrar suspected the name could endanger the child’s well-being.

The parents, who were not identified, were persuaded to relent during a closed-door hearing at the local court and decided to call their son Lucian instead. That saved the court from having to decide whether Lucifer was acceptable.

Authorities in Germany can decide not to accept names for children though there is no outright ban on any specific names.

https://apnews.com/45dc9962b94d4e40...low&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Oddities

As an aside, a Lebanese/French film I watched about Syria recently featured an actor called Jihad, so it's maybe not as outlandish as it sounds.

What's wrong with Lucifer? Hail Satan!

OH, HELL NO: GERMAN AUTHORITIES STOP PARENTS FROM NAMING THEIR SON LUCIFER

BERLIN (AP) — A baby in Germany won’t be named Lucifer after authorities intervened.

A registrar in the central city of Kassel sought clarification from the local district court after a couple sought to give their son the name. Court official Matthias Grund told news agency dpa Wednesday that the registrar suspected the name could endanger the child’s well-being.

The parents, who were not identified, were persuaded to relent during a closed-door hearing at the local court and decided to call their son Lucian instead. That saved the court from having to decide whether Lucifer was acceptable.

Authorities in Germany can decide not to accept names for children though there is no outright ban on any specific names.

https://apnews.com/45dc9962b94d4e40...low&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Oddities

There was another case in New Zealand where proud hard-working, tax-paying parents were debarred from naming their child 'Lucifer'.

They should try living in Sweden, where you can't even call your kid Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116, even if it was your grandmother's name.

Behold the reality of the coming new world order - an iron fist stamping 'REJECTED' on a human birth certifcate forever. :eek:

This doesn't sound so shocking compared to the names above, but I know someone who was forbidden to be named "Carla" in Francoist Spain. The government said the name wasn't Christian enough.

This doesn't sound so shocking compared to the names above, but I know someone who was forbidden to be named "Carla" in Francoist Spain. The government said the name wasn't Christian enough.

Oh yeah, I can see where they had THAT idea from. :clap:

Rather nasty story of Munchausans syndrome by proxy and the results below.

[SIZE=6 said:
‘Would you kill my mother for me?’: a dark case of abuse and revenge[/SIZE]]

I have four VHS tapes in a large ziplock bag. They are family home movies, but not of my family. The label of one tape reads simply “Gypsy”. A little girl appears in the centre of the frame, her eyes are large and brown, her hair almost white blonde. She is gazing up at the camera, asking for Mama.

Born in Louisiana in 1991, Gypsy Rose Blanchard was raised solely by her mother, who was known by family and friends as Dee Dee. When the baby was three months old, Dee Dee told doctors that she didn’t seem to be breathing properly. Gypsy was diagnosed with sleep apnoea and given breathing apparatus. Dee Dee was convinced that something else was wrong. When Gypsy was seven, Dee Dee met with her extended family and told them the bad news. The little girl had a chromosomal disorder and her range of motion was limited so using a wheelchair would be a necessity. After that, the health troubles seemed endless. A feeding tube was put in when Gypsy’s weight was too low. When she was diagnosed with epilepsy, the doctors prescribed the drug Tegretol, which made her teeth crumble from inside her mouth. Gypsy’s grandparents wondered to each other if their granddaughter would even make it to adulthood.

Dee Dee often clashed with her family about Gypsy and the care that she thought the girl needed. After it was discovered that Dee Dee had opened up credit cards in her father’s name, she left her family’s house in the middle of the night, leaving no forwarding address.

Later, Gypsy and Dee Dee were forced to move from Louisiana to Missouri when Hurricane Katrina ruined their modest apartment. Dee Dee added an “e” to Blanchard and reinvented herself. In Springfield, Missouri, Dee Dee was known as a generous, God- fearing caretaker of a sick little girl. According to neighbours and family members, Gypsy and Dee Dee were best friends, one never seen without the other. At local events, they would be spotted chatting noisily with fellow neighbours, smiling and holding hands. True, the illnesses seemed rough on the family, and they needed all the help they could get, but they got through it without complaining. They had Jesus on their side.

More at link

13 victims, ages 2 to 29, kept shackled in foul Perris home by parents, officials say

Further investigation revealed several children shackled to their beds with chains and padlocks in dark and foul-smelling surroundings. However, the parents were not able to immediately provide a reason why their children were restrained in that manner.

Deputies located what they believed to be 12 children inside the house - but were shocked to discover that seven of them were actually adults, ranging in age from 18 to 29.

EDIT: More on the story, with family photos

Last edited:
The secrets of Fritzl's Austrian cellar

Last edited:
What about old fashioned nursery rhymes... Like little jack horner or georgie porgie. they are learning to recite poems at my daughters school...they are so bland and boring things like

I like cars
red cars green cars
i like cars...

It goes on but it is so boring and not fun at all.

Another terrible case.

Japanese police have arrested a 73-year-old man suspected of keeping his son in a wooden cage for over 20 years.

Yoshitane Yamasaki said he locked up his son, now 42, because he suffered mental problems and was sometimes violent, according to officials quoted by public broadcaster NHK.

The cage, 1m in height and less than 2m wide, was in a hut next to Mr Yamasaki's house in the city of Sanda.

The son, who now suffers a bent back, is being looked after by authorities.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-43685094

These parents had their kids taken away from them for less the hilarious jokes they played on their kids on their youtube channel ... a joke's only ever a joke when two or more people laugh .. not pleasant stuff so viewer discretion warning ..

These parents had their kids taken away from them for less the hilarious jokes they played on their kids on their youtube channel ... a joke's only ever a joke when two or more people laugh .. not pleasant stuff so viewer discretion warning ..

Is that a 'blended' family, with the two that've been removed being from a previous relationship? Looks that way to me. If so, that's especially cruel.

That was all a number of months ago. I remember seeing the material at the time and thinking that it was just plain abuse. Every other one was deceive child to get a shocked/angry/miserable reaction on film and then laugh and reveal the truth (also on camera). And then they claimed that it was all a family venture and the kids knew about the importance of the channel.

And all for clicks and income.

Bastards.

Child abuse for profit. Nasty.

Both my parents and my sister were off their rockers, it was like growing up in an insane asylum..:)

Six children in this day and age? However you look at it, having lots of children is a good way to control a woman. She can't have a career if she is constantly pregnant/lactating. Once they're born she may have nannies to do the dirty work but she can't get out of actually carrying them and the effects this has on her body and opportunities to do other things. I mean, past a certain size you can't even ride a bicycle or weed the garden.

Even in mainly Catholic countries people don't have families that big. It's downright creepy.

I have a theory (as a mother of five). People from small families (only children, chiefly) idealise 'big' families and often try to reproduce their image of what they dreamed family life should be, by having a big family. Their offspring, realising how tough life was as one of many, then go on to have only children, and so the cycle continues...*

*Assuming finances allow, of course.

I was one of two, incidentally.

I have a theory (as a mother of five). People from small families (only children, chiefly) idealise 'big' families and often try to reproduce their image of what they dreamed family life should be, by having a big family. Their offspring, realising how tough life was as one of many, then go on to have only children, and so the cycle continues...*

Possibly. I would say that I’ve known very happy large families as well as happy couples with one, two or no children. I find it weird that some people become terribly judgemental about others’ fertility. If you want a big family and can afford it, why not? Similarly, if you don’t want kids, well that’s okay as well.

Possibly. I would say that I’ve known very happy large families as well as happy couples with one, two or no children. I find it weird that some people become terribly judgemental about others’ fertility. If you want a big family and can afford it, why not? Similarly, if you don’t want kids, well that’s okay as well.

I think some get judgemental about large families because it ties into the idea the world is overpopulating, and the parents are irresponsible.

I remember about twenty years ago hearing (probably at Silverknowes Park, in Edinburgh) an upper middle-class father shouting at the top of his voice "Indonesia! Sumatra! Jakarta! Come back immediately, or your ice-cream will be ruined!".

My immediate thought was whether there was an Indonesian father, possibly, somewhere, shouting almost the same thing at his three daughters (Merchiston, Leith and Caledonia) to 'come and get their frozen tofu!'.

Merchiston would inevitably be the dutiful eldest....Leith, the awkward middle-child. And Caledonia, the eternal baby of the trio.

Names are strange things...

An effect of Michael Jackson's androgynous '80s iconicity?
And Easterhouse would be the difficult child?

Strange remedies.

A former NHS worker is being investigated by police over claims she fed two toddlers turpentine to rid them of parasites.

The probe centres on private messages posted on a Facebook group in which it is claimed the substance was mixed with sugar and washed down with juice.

The unnamed mother who is under investigation used to work at Hull Royal Infirmary.

Police said there were "no immediate concerns" for the children's safety.

Private messages purported to have come from the mother's Facebook account advised on administering turpentine with "lots of juice after" to "rid candida" and other toxins. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-humber-40951525
this is another example, perhaps, of a fad from a long time ago that might be coming round again... in late Victorian and Edwardian times turpentine was advocated - on the best possible medical evidence and the backing of Expert Doctors - as a universal cure-all, working as a laxative that flushed the gut out and somehow cleansed the body of impurities.

The fact it also caused liver failure was not grasped until much later.

Just maybe somebody who remembered a grandparent reminiscing about having received the Turpentine Cure as a kid, and who had as a child had absorbed the received wisdom that it was good for you, decidied to give it a shot, ninety or so years on, with their own kids... the NHS has a carefully neutral position on what are called "Homely Remedies", after all, and it is possible this NHS employee might have thought "Well, if it doesn't so any harm, give it a whirl".

I think some get judgemental about large families because it ties into the idea the world is overpopulating, and the parents are irresponsible.

But that’s clearly not happening in the West at least. Indeed European populations are shrinking. I think it’s just people thinking they have a right to comment on others’ private choices. This sort of judgemental busybodiness is not limited to family size, but it’s a good example of the phenomenon.

But that’s clearly not happening in the West at least. Indeed European populations are shrinking. I think it’s just people thinking they have a right to comment on others’ private choices. This sort of judgemental busybodiness is not limited to family size, but it’s a good example of the phenomenon.

However those in the West who have large families tend to be Mormons, Muslims, more conservative members of the mainstream Christian Churches and adherents to the fringe Christian communities. Doesn't auger well for the future of a Secular Society.

Well, this is the internet, it's written in the rules that we have to be judgemental.

I remember working under a woman for a care agency, I once asked her for some time off (just a couple of days and way in advance) and she said "You make me laugh .. you haven't got any children" .. ? .. I just replied "I'm glad you find the fact that I haven't got any children funny ?." .. as far as I know I'm fertile, me and the Mrs just don't want to have kids of our own ..

Ah, but we all know something doesn't have to be true for someone to have an opinion on it! You're right that European populations are shrinking (and, indeed, birth rates globally are on the decline almost across the board - the global population is growing chiefly because life expectancy is higher, not because people are having more children), but it's still a very in vogue stance to blame climate change and various other ills on overpopulation. I know a few people who are very smug about the fact that they don't intend to have children for that exact reason. There's definitely more than a small element of just plain old busybodying about it, though!

@catseye's theory is interesting, I'm going to have to start applying that to people now and seeing if it bears out!

Problems must surely ensue when an only child starts a family with someone from a big family?

I have a theory (as a mother of five). People from small families (only children, chiefly) idealise 'big' families and often try to reproduce their image of what they dreamed family life should be, by having a big family. Their offspring, realising how tough life was as one of many, then go on to have only children, and so the cycle continues...

After doing a quickie off-the-cuff survey of my own family and close friends, I can't say this pattern is supported by the evidence within my own sphere of experience.

The primary deviation from your model lies with the only children. I can list about a dozen only children with whom I'm acquainted (in my or a subsequent generation), of which most have elected to have zero or only one kid. I can think of only two only children who've had as many as 3 children (i.e., 1 or more beyond the replacement level of 2).

I can't think of any 1-of-2 or 1-of-3 children (I've known) who've gone on to have any more children than the number in their own childhood households. The majority of these have had fewer children than were in their childhood households.

My only examples of family trees expanding via more numerous children all involve people who were 1 of 4 or more siblings.

Ah, but we all know something doesn't have to be true for someone to have an opinion on it! You're right that European populations are shrinking (and, indeed, birth rates globally are on the decline almost across the board - the global population is growing chiefly because life expectancy is higher, not because people are having more children), but it's still a very in vogue stance to blame climate change and various other ills on overpopulation. I know a few people who are very smug about the fact that they don't intend to have children for that exact reason. There's definitely more than a small element of just plain old busybodying about it, though!

I'm loath to bring it up, but also don't forget that in the UK at least, lots of children = benefits scrounger.

I remember working under a woman for a care agency, I once asked her for some time off (just a couple of days and way in advance) and she said "You make me laugh .. you haven't got any children" .. ? .. I just replied "I'm glad you find the fact that I haven't got any children funny ?." .. as far as I know I'm fertile, me and the Mrs just don't want to have kids of our own ..
What? Was she saying that childless people aren't allowed time off?

Back