• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

First of all.. loving this thread. I can end up spending hours reading the Reddit 'Glitch in the Matrix' forums; that sort of stuff is right up my street. :)

You certainly can smell in your sleep. When my dogs ate a lot of boiled offal, they farted so much in my bedroom one night that I dreamed I'd fallen into an open sewer and woke up in a panic from drowning in raw sewage.

This whole smelling in your sleep thing discussed a couple of pages back reminded me of a dream I had a couple of weeks ago, wherein I was able to smell some flowers in a garden, quite distinctly.

Now, I know that doesn't sound particularly remarkable, except in waking life I haven't been able to smell anything at all for at least a couple of years, because of nasal / sinus problems. Anosmia, I believe is the term.

So, it was really nice to be able to smell flowers in my dream :)

You've just reminded me, Shrodinger, about a dream I had years and years ago when my children were tiny...

I dreamed I could smell smoke. It woke me up in a panic and I wandered around the house for ages trying to work out where it was coming from. Eventually I fell back asleep again - to wake up to the news that there had been a tragic housefire in Bristol (100 miles from where I then lived) and children had died.

Co incidental, but chilling nonetheless.

First of all.. loving this thread. I can end up spending hours reading the Reddit 'Glitch in the Matrix' forums; that sort of stuff is right up my street. :)

This whole smelling in your sleep thing discussed a couple of pages back reminded me of a dream I had a couple of weeks ago, wherein I was able to smell some flowers in a garden, quite distinctly.

Now, I know that doesn't sound particularly remarkable, except in waking life I haven't been able to smell anything at all for at least a couple of years, because of nasal / sinus problems. Anosmia, I believe is the term.

So, it was really nice to be able to smell flowers in my dream :)

You were a lot more satisfied than I was, then.

...or people who really like bus journeys.

Few years ago I had a job where there was suddenly a rule that we couldn't have phones on in the building. I went outside to get my voicemails, one of which made me grin like a mad thing.

Someone saw me and said 'Hey, have you been offered a new job?' which was correct! :D

https://www.quora.com/Is-someone-able-to-smell-a-fart-while-he-she-is-sleeping Interesting.

It could have been the smell before you dropped off set your brain off to sewers or like that article says it could be the sound triggering it. Eww.

Nope, the dogs used to start off in their beds at night and then slyly sneak into my bedroom when I was asleep. Dogfarts are mainly silent and the sound wouldn't wake you up. It was definitely the smell. The foul, overpowering stench. Christ, you could chew it.

found this very interesting thread there today: https://www.reddit.com/r/Glitch_in_...w_a_third_gym_through_a_hole_in_the_floor_of/
the comments are as interesting as the main post btw

That's a fun thread. There is considerable mention of tunnels under school buildings, mostly along the lines of rumors of such, as I recall from reading yesterday. Those are pretty common, or were in the days of steam heat. When I was in the first grade, we lived in Iowa where the winters are long and cold. The elementary school I attended was next door to the high school. We would all troop over to the high school for assemblies and such. When it was really cold out, we'd go down to the basement and take the brick lined tunnel to the high school. It was probably something like 200 feet long, with bare light bulbs hanging from the ceiling at regular intervals. There were steam pipes up there too, all wrapped in asbestos insulation. It was warm and damp down there, so we didn't have to mess with coats or anything. We walked on wooden planks that kept our feet out of the trickle of water along the sides of the floor. Hard to imagine herding little kids through something like that now.

The only assembly that made enough of an impression on me that I remember anything about it was a lecture by an eccentric old guy who traveled a lot. He told us of his adventures in the jungles somewhere, and had a number of objects he had brought back. I recall him showing us some shrunken heads. I only hope they weren't real. Fake ones were readily available in novelty shops and such. The guy was odd, and I wonder now (assuming my memory is reasonably accurate) how he ever would have gotten out of headhunter territory intact. If it was in fact all real (or even if it wasn't), then who thought showing that stuff to six-year-olds was a good idea? The same people who marched us through the tunnel so they didn't have to mess around with coats and hats, I suppose. Maybe they didn't know the old fart was featuring human heads in his presentation.

I was more disturbed by they guy who's decided his (as yet unconceived) child's name is going to be Jreagan. Nothing against the name, particularly, but I'm fairly sure that the child's mum might want some input there. He's absolutely certain this is going to be its name... If he gets together with a girl who's very definite that her child is going to be named after her dad - I predict fireworks.

Unless by some sheer fluke her dad is called Jreagan, of course.

Yeah I would. :p Seriously, I'd love to be able to smell things again.

That isn't to say I wouldn't complain about the 'orrible smells though. :D
Have you tried tasting the air with your tongue? If that works, it's your nose.

Have you tried tasting the air with your tongue? If that works, it's your nose.

Um... haven't tried that but I just stuck my tongue out and got strange looks from t'dogs, so I'll try later :)

Oh, it's definitely me nose, can't breathe through it never mind smell owt.

:)

An operation might fix it, then!

It is a possibility, but due to my EDS it's more risky to have operations (wounds take much longer to heal, higher risk of side effects) so unless they're absolutely necessary they're best avoided. But we'll see. Maybe once I get past this year's health problems I'll consider it, in the meantime I'm forever searching for natural ways to resolve it).

Anyway, enough about me :) (sorry if I derailed the thread)

I've just read some more of the new reddit thread, I like the one about seeing a classroom through an electrical socket even though it was on an outside wall.

*shuffles off to read more*

The second post down about the door that is there sometimes - wow!

Haven't seen that as I'm at work but mention of it reminds me of a news story about a fence made of old doors along a cliff edge in a city. Someone managed to open one, possibly when drunk, and fell through to their death.

Or was it a short story about a man who keeps seeing a strange door appearing but is always too afraid to go through it, who eventually takes a chance and opens it, only to fall off a cliff to his death...

I dunno.

what about that out of place bathroom?

It's an odd one, but it's sadly lacking in enough detail.

I'm not totally clear on why the height was an issue - because it could have been that the room went up over two floors (think of something like an old stairwell, perhaps - lots of times buildings had to hastily cram in a disabled toilet when regulations changed, and it could be that something like that was the only place to put it?)

The poster didn't clarify what actually was on the other side of the wall, so we can't know for sure whether the windows were out of place or not. He didn't even say if there was bathroom stuff in there - toilet, sink, etc.

If it was me I would have gone back outside the door, waited a few seconds then went back in to see if it were still the same :D

Back