• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Earth Oddities Seen In Google Maps / Earth / Street View

Is that Durham? I have a relative who lives there - it looks so nice, I'm envious!

No it's Newcastle Upon Tyne, the first thing you see when you come out of the railway station. Some of the locations in Get Carter were in Durham, notably the coastal ending. My mother in law lived in Carrville, which is in Durham mentioned at the bottom of this page -
http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/g/getcarter.html

in what was used as Cliff Brumby's house for the party scene. But - the family moved out in about '65, so they had nothing at all to do with the film itself. This is the location of that building now -
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.7...4!1sNd2dYTpXoRLnU8Fs2mhkAw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It used to stand 20 or 30 yards back from the road in quite a large garden, which as you can see developers have used up every scap of land to build on. Wish I had a photo.

When I used to work in Newcastle we would sometimes walk over the High Level bridge to where my colleague had parked his car in the Gateshead multi-storey. It was free, but grim.:D

@Ulalume - by the way, Durham is much nicer than Newcastle. Well it will be once they have finished the extensive roadworks and took the plastic cladding off the cathedral main tower.

Concentrated and clearly separated areas of cauterised ground, with burned out vehicles - I'm pretty sure this is a live firing range for aircraft. There's a similarly scorched but much larger area a little to the east which shows evidence of ordnance related cratering, and which also appears to be serviced by a regular pattern of access roads (with what are, possibly, small bunkers). I'm betting there's a miltary airfield somewhere in the area.

Those were quite fun, even though I'd seen at least half before. I think that the most genuinely "mysterious" one, for me, was the sea-bed grid patterns near to the Canaries. The huge boat-shaped wake on Loch Ness, on the other hand, was pretty much determined to be, well, a boat, as far as I remember.

Not necessarily weirdness per se, just odd:

I was searching for a business in York and when I viewed it using street view, the sequence as I moved along the road kept jumping in dates (as determined by the change in the buildings). My first view is dated Sep 2014, as I click next along the road it jumps to Aug 2008, then May 2012 and finally Jan 2016.

As there are recent (2016) images here, why aren't all the images the latest? It just doesn't seem to make sense?

I'm sure there's a logical google-esque explanation...

Not necessarily weirdness per se, just odd:

I was searching for a business in York and when I viewed it using street view, the sequence as I moved along the road kept jumping in dates (as determined by the change in the buildings). My first view is dated Sep 2014, as I click next along the road it jumps to Aug 2008, then May 2012 and finally Jan 2016.

As there are recent (2016) images here, why aren't all the images the latest? It just doesn't seem to make sense?

I'm sure there's a logical google-esque explanation...
I've seen this quite a lot myself on Google Streetview.
It could be that Google refreshes parts of the street view from time to time.
One weirdness that I can't explain - occasionally, I come across parts of the imagery that is in green-tinted monochrome. It changes to colour as you move along the road.

Dunno what anyone makes of this?

Some sort of artifact in how the map is put together?

I was going to check it out, just I find looking down on maps massively vertigo inducing, can handle if I'm in a good place, not when I've got up feeling weird at half past midnight - had a go and could feel the screen rushing at me. :eek:

A friend said the title sounds stupid
it says "scandal: mysterious ice wall on google earth mape"
And he thinks it may be a glitch or missing piece in the images or overlapping maps, maybe

Interesting.

Some of the comments following this partially-debunking video seem to suggest that the effect is no longer visible from the original Google source imagery.

I could find a line in the same place on my Google Earth. However, it only stretches for some of the distance, not all the way round Earth. Oh, and it looks like a trench (a product of tectonic processes), not a 3D squared-off construction.
I suggest it's something that the video makers did, or it's a glitch in the dataset they have.

20180531_103153.jpg

https://goo.gl/maps/14rgjvsQv8E2

Last edited:
I'm looking, but I'm not sure quite what I am looking at. Can you give a hint? I guess it's a good'un when it's clear, as you've chosen it for your avatar!

OK, I see that now. Even has a nice white highlight.
I've just added the maps link to the image.
I added a filter to the shot just to make it pop btw. But I see more than just the eye in image; look at it from different orientations and hopefully you'll start to see...something bigger...

Can't remember if I've mentioned it already but when cycling to work recently I came face to face with the Google camera and pouted and waved. Hoping to see myself in close-up next update!

I've just added the maps link to the image.
I added a filter to the shot just to make it pop btw. But I see more than just the eye in image; look at it from different orientations and hopefully you'll start to see...something bigger...
Egyptian ibis god?
10954855-egyptian-god-figure-ibis.jpg

Can't remember if I've mentioned it already but when cycling to work recently I came face to face with the Google camera and pouted and waved. Hoping to see myself in close-up next update!
Blurred out automatically.

OK that's a new one but akin to what I see. The first time I saw it, it reminded me of The Eye of Horus.
search

Looking at it from the angle in the original post I get the impression of the head of a snake or other reptile- a hooded cobra maybe?

When I look at the unfiltered google image from another angle, the impression leans towards the face of something more mammal, maybe feline.
eye rotated.png

If you're struggling with these, let me know and I'll try a bit of image editing.

Erm, from the original image my first impression was a crazed Bugs Bunny with a cigar

OK that's a new one but akin to what I see. The first time I saw it, it reminded me of The Eye of Horus.
search

Looking at it from the angle in the original post I get the impression of the head of a snake or other reptile- a hooded cobra maybe?

When I look at the unfiltered google image from another angle, the impression leans towards the face of something more mammal, maybe feline.
View attachment 10090

If you're struggling with these, let me know and I'll try a bit of image editing.
I can see a nob with a Prince Albert.

Back