• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Upcoming Marvel Adaptations

Legion s2 trailer:

This was one of the best things on TV last year, so high hopes for the second go-round. Trailer predictably answers no questions.

i recently watched thor Ragnarok, thought it was very good, perfect balance of laughs and action, and tonight i watched guardians of the galaxy, which i thought was very poor, the worst marvel movie i have seen by far, very few laughs and the action was boring, when it got to the dance of distraction bit i was close to switching off, but i persevered. wish i hadn't.

guardians of the galaxy 2 was meant to be watched right after, but i didn't bother.

i recently watched thor Ragnarok, thought it was very good, perfect balance of laughs and action, and tonight i watched guardians of the galaxy, which i thought was very poor, the worst marvel movie i have seen by far, very few laughs and the action was boring, when it got to the dance of distraction bit i was close to switching off, but i persevered. wish i hadn't.

guardians of the galaxy 2 was meant to be watched right after, but i didn't bother.
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was 'meh' compared with GOTG 1.

I began watching season 2 of Jessica Jones. It really needs a decent villain.

O frabjous day! Legion season 2 is now on Amazon Prime! Just watched the first episode, and yes, you'd better believe there was a dance off in it. No idea what's happening, but that's half the fun.

O frabjous day! Legion season 2 is now on Amazon Prime! Just watched the first episode, and yes, you'd better believe there was a dance off in it. No idea what's happening, but that's half the fun.

Yes it was pretty good. I'm not sure how much of it was really happening as distinct from delusion/fantasy (bit like Mr Robot) but there was a great dance off between Good and Evil!

Showing on Fox TV in UK & ROI.

New Stan Lee biography.

How Stan Lee Became the Man Behind Marvel
By Chris Yogerst

STAN LEE WAS FINISHED with comics. “We’re writing nonsense,” he once told his wife Joan. “It’s a stupid business for a grownup to be in.” After riding the early success of comic books, Lee was concerned about the future of the medium. He wanted to write more intelligent stories, something adults could connect to.

Following his wife’s advice, Lee decided to write one last story. With characters that were grounded in reality, stories that channeled Cold War tensions, and a narrative influenced by popular science fiction, Lee created the Fantastic Four. This was the type of story Lee would have wanted to read. If it was successful, maybe he would stick with comics a little longer.

Popular culture historian Bob Batchelor’s latest book turns a critical eye on the life of Lee, who ultimately became “the man behind Marvel.” Batchelor’s Stan Lee: The Man Behind Marvel focuses on where Lee came from, what influenced him, and how he became the immortal face of the comic book industry. In other words, to use the vernacular of the superhero genre, Batchelor gives us Lee’s origin story. ...

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/how-stan-lee-became-the-man-behind-marvel/

Stan Lee: The Man Behind Marvel
By Bob Batchelor

stanleethemanbehindmarvel-1.jpeg

Published 09.15.2017
Rowman & Littlefield Publishers
264 Pages

Avengers: Infinity War: Great opening sequence with Thanos and his children/minions attacking The Asgardian starship. Loki stays on the Light Side and tries to kill Thanos but is apparently slain himself. Thor is battered and bewildered while the Hulk escapes to Earth and arrives as Banner crashing into Dr Strange's HQ.. Strange rounds up Ironman as the minions of Thanos arrive on Earth. Banner Can't change back into The Hulk, only succeeding in getting green around the gills.The guardians of the Galaxy rescue Thor who then heads off with Rocket and Gruit.

Space battle scenes, a Giant Dwarf forging a battleaxe.for Thor, ground battles in Africa, the Creation Myth for Gamora.. Vision and Scarlet Witch are outside a takeaway which serves deep fried kebabs when they are attacked by the children Of Thanos, possibly saving them from a worse fate. We even get to see how Thanos got his start.

Crackling dialogue, wisecracking from Ironman and smartaleckery by rocket are counterposed to Thor's solipsistic godliness. The Guardians are successfully assimilated into the Avengers storyline as is Dr Strange. Maybe a confusion of characters at times but great fun. 8/10.

Will go and see it next week it looks good.

Just pulled myself across the finishing line with Ironfist as I want to watch the Defenders. What a load of boring old rubbish. Terrible script, unlikable main character, the Aussie guy is the best thing in it. Boring as hell.

2/10 Daily Mail Outrage 3/10 there were some Asian people in it who might come and take our jobs but that was about it.

Will go and see it next week it looks good.

Just pulled myself across the finishing line with Ironfist as I want to watch the Defenders. What a load of boring old rubbish. Terrible script, unlikable main character, the Aussie guy is the best thing in it. Boring as hell.

2/10 Daily Mail Outrage 3/10 there were some Asian people in it who might come and take our jobs but that was about it.

I actually liked the mystical bits of Ironfist, raised/trained by monks.

I gave in and listened to a spoilerific review on a comics podcast I subscribe to. Still interested in seeing it, spoilers don't usually bother me too much, and what they said about it makes it sound like a fun time. If a little dark.

I will second that, great fun. Even the guardians of the galaxy couldn't ruin it. Hurry up the next one!

I thought GOTG meshed well with the others. Rocket made a great sidekick for Thor. I hope the partnership continues.

Deadpool 2: Full of jokes, visual gags foul language and extreme violence (which is a bit tongue in cheek). Deadpool/Wade Wilson (Ryan Reynolds) tries to commit suicide after his wife Vanessa (Morena Baccarin) is killed by an enemy but Colossus (Stefan Kapicic) puts him back together again. Dopinder (Karan Soni) is also back as Deadpool's reliable driver and wannabe superhero, he longs to be Kirsten Dunst to Wade's Tom Cruise.

The Cyborg Cable (Josh Brolin) arrives from the future, intent on killing the young mutant Firefist (Julian Dennison). Deadpool gets a new mutant group together: The X Force! Best of which is Domino (Zazie Beetz) who is very lucky.
Megasonic Teenage Warhead (Brianna Hildebrand) returns, still with lots of attitude and a new girlfriend: Yukio, another X-Men trainee.

Deadpool is blown to pieces, cut in half, sent to a mutant prison, pursued by evil mutants and Cable. Brolin is quite funny with his Terminator take off but being half-human is pragmatic enough to compromise when needed. Some great car/prison truck chase scenes, a mutant rison high in the Rockies and an orphanage for mutant children run by a sadistic headmaster (Eddie Sarsan). Some of the action takes place in Professor Xavier's School for Mutants where the gags both verbal and visual abound. Good fun. 8/10

Last edited:
Saw Infinity War today. It was OK, but somehow lacked the emotional punch everyone seems to think it has. Maybe because I know that a lot of what happened will be undone. Or maybe because the trailer for Ant-Man and The Wasp that came before it looked a lot more fun.

Also, I really need to see Black Panther. I don't think it's necessary, since it doesn't really set up anything for Infinity War, but the actors playing those characters were so engaging. I mean, I already wanted to see it, and am kind of annoyed I missed it at the theatres, but watching the chemistry between them made me feel I really missed something.

Saw Infinity War today. It was OK, but somehow lacked the emotional punch everyone seems to think it has. Maybe because I know that a lot of what happened will be undone. Or maybe because the trailer for Ant-Man and The Wasp that came before it looked a lot more fun.

Also, I really need to see Black Panther. I don't think it's necessary, since it doesn't really set up anything for Infinity War, but the actors playing those characters were so engaging. I mean, I already wanted to see it, and am kind of annoyed I missed it at the theatres, but watching the chemistry between them made me feel I really missed something.

Except "Black Panther" is set in Wakanda so when we end up back there again in "Infinity War" we're are already emotionally invested in it.

I agree that it's quite clear that what has been done will be undone. My guess is that Dr Strange saw the only way to ultimately win is to 'lose' first. It will be interesting to see how they resolve it.

Deadpool 2: Full of jokes, visual gags foul language and extreme violence (which is a bit tongue in cheek). Deadpool/Wade Wilson (Ryan Reynolds) tries to commit suicide after his wife Vanessa (Morena Baccarin) is killed by an enemy but Colossus (Stefan Kapicic) puts him back together again. Dopinder (Karan Soni) is also back as Deadpool's reliable driver and wannabe superhero, he longs to be Kirsten Dunst to Wade's Tom Cruise.

The Cyborg Cable (Josh Brolin) arrives from the future, intent on killing the young mutant Firefist (Julian Dennison). Deadpool gets a new mutant group together: The X Force! Best of which is Domino (Zazie Beetz) who is very lucky.
Megasonic Teenage Warhead (Brianna Hildebrand) returns, still with lots of attitude and a new girlfriend: Yukio, another X-Men trainee.

Deadpool is blown to pieces, cut in half, sent to a mutant prison, pursued by evil mutants and Cable. Brolin is quite funny with his Terminator take off but being half-human is pragmatic enough to compromise when needed. Some great car/prison truck chase scenes, a mutant rison high in the Rockies and an orphanage for mutant children run by a sadistic headmaster (Eddie Sarsan). Some of the action takes place in Professor Xavier's School for Mutants where the gags both verbal and visual abound. Good fun. 8/10
Saw this yesterday. Hilarious! Loved every minute.

Except "Black Panther" is set in Wakanda so when we end up back there again in "Infinity War" we're are already emotionally invested in it.

I agree that it's quite clear that what has been done will be undone. My guess is that Dr Strange saw the only way to ultimately win is to 'lose' first. It will be interesting to see how they resolve it.
I was emotionally invested in Wakanda. Admittedly, I do already know what Wakanda is, but I think the cast earn emotional investment even from people like me who haven't seen the previous film.

As for Strange's motivations...
We know he used the Eye of Agamotto to look at 14 000 065 possible futures, but only found one where they succeeded. (Well, he says only one. I wouldn't be surprised to find he found more, but lied to a) keep everyone in line with the plan, and b) he chose to implement the one with the greatest chance of success, although it might involve costs that the others wouldn't be willing to live with, given a choice.) I have no doubt, that the future he is aiming for includes Thanos succeeding, but the survivors somehow coming back to right everything.

We also know that Ant-Man and Captain Marvel are in the next film, and presumably they will be crucial to the whole thing.

Anyway, I just want to see Thor whaling on a few more people with Stormbreaker. Even though most of it was clearly CGI, it did look really cool. Also, I liked the expression on Thanos's face when Steve was able to hold back the Infinity Gauntlet. Like Thor's expression when he was able to move Mjolnir.

Now Stan Lee's been threatened by two gunmen outside his own home, claiming he owned them money. Between the blood-stealing, the harassment allegations (both against and by him), the lawsuit, the worrying Twitter messages, I'm wondering how much a 95-year-old man can stand.

Now Stan Lee's been threatened by two gunmen outside his own home, claiming he owned them money. Between the blood-stealing, the harassment allegations (both against and by him), the lawsuit, the worrying Twitter messages, I'm wondering how much a 95-year-old man can stand.
Needs intervention.

Anyone here given Cloak and Dagger a go? Seems like two shows running concurrently at the moment, and neither too essential. Still, time for improvement.

Stan Lee's recent experiences would make a good movie. Not a very enjoyable one, maybe.

At the risk of being a minority of one, i found the black panther to be a massive let down, it was not a bad movie but neither did it entertain me the way i thought it would, it was just very run of the mill, maybe if i had not listened to the hype i would have enjoyed it more

Back