• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sausages

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Time for a thread about strange sausages.

100ft bratwurst tests skills of barbecue chefs

USA: About 50 people volunteered to carefully grill a 100ft bratwurst without burning or breaking it at a bar in Illinois.

Silver Creek Saloon hosted the practice run on Tuesday to prepare for the city’s 200th anniversary celebration, where the volunteers will attempt to grill a 200ft-long bratwurst, the Belleville News-Democrat reported.

The Bicentennial Oktoberfest Weekend Celebration is set to be held from September 19-21 in downtown Belleville.

On Tuesday, Larry Schubert, who made the 60lb sausage, led the effort to unroll it onto a specially made 100ftt metal trough. Volunteers exercised more caution after practicing in August with a 50ft bratwurst that broke in several places because it was turned too quickly and the grill was too hot. Organisers walked around to inspect and fix splits in the meat. ...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 85837.html

Thanks for that link.

No? Ach suit yersel'.....

One of my favourite quotes...

People who like sausages and respect the Law should see neither being made.

jimv1 said:
One of my favourite quotes...

People who like sausages and respect the Law should see neither being made.

Quite right! I notice Asda's range are nearly all gluten-free now. They still contain ear and snout, I reckon. :cross eye

Best way to test a brand of sausages is cook one in a George Foreman grill. If they are good sausages they will cook nicely - if they are filler injected with fat they shrink to nothing.

A different type of sausage but I'll stick it in here (fnaarr!).

Welcome Back to Silicon Valley's Biggest Sausage Fest
There's nothing like "Titstare," thankfully, at TechCrunch Disrupt 2014.

The bathroom line at TechCrunch Disrupt yesterday Josh Harkinson
The TechCrunch Disrupt conference now underway in San Francisco is arguably the most important annual gathering for tech startups. It's also a notoriously hostile environment for women, as made clear by last year's conference, whose hackathon produced an app called "Titstare," which let the user "take photos of yourself staring at tits," not to mention "Circle Shake," an app that measures how fast guys can masturbate. The TC Disrupt crowd tends to be 80 to 90 percent male, as you might infer from my bathroom-line photo yesterday. Mike Judge lampooned the conference's "brogrammer" vibe in his HBO comedy series, Silicon Valley.

This year, the organizers of TechCrunch Disrupt have worked to prevent an embarrassing repeat of the Titstare debacle by publishing and enforcing a detailed "anti-harassment policy." An attendee of this weekend's hackathon told me that TechCrunch cited the policy when it quietly nixed a plan by a group of hackers to create a "Bitcoin for strippers" app. Even so, TechCrunch hasn't been able to completely scrub the event of everything that might be perceived as sexist. This morning, for example, guys entering the conference were mobbed and hugged by groups of women shouting "Groopie!"—they'd been hired to promote a mobile video app: ...

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/201 ... -tcdisrupt

Cochise said:
Best way to test a brand of sausages is cook one in a George Foreman grill. If they are good sausages they will cook nicely - if they are filler injected with fat they shrink to nothing.

If it's got very little meat it's a con, cheater, wurst. ;)

I have just got back from Berlin last night. My wife paid for us to go for my birthday. She has been before and told me that I must try a currywurst. I was underwhelmed at a big German sausage, smothered with half a bottle of tomato sauce, and a sprinkling of curry powder on top. It didn't half clean my system out though to be fair, almost at a time not of my choosing I may add.

Most of the rest of the food was excellent, the goulash soup was amazing.

I have just got back from Berlin last night. My wife paid for us to go for my birthday. She has been before and told me that I must try a currywurst. I was underwhelmed at a big German sausage, smothered with half a bottle of tomato sauce, and a sprinkling of curry powder on top. It didn't half clean my system out though to be fair, almost at a time not of my choosing I may add.

Most of the rest of the food was excellent, the goulash soup was amazing.

Berlin potato salad is great as well. Did you get to see the Jewish Museum or the Bauhaus Museum?

l visited Berlin in 1982, back when the “Anti-Fascist Barrier” was up, the Tube station was an international border and the diverse, vibrant border guards shot you if you tried to leave.

l spent a few hours sniggering at what the regime had to offer tourists, then it was time for lunch.

My pal Günther suggested the standard East German worker’s lunch, which cost 70 pfennig IIRC. lt consisted of about four or five inches of greyish sausage slathered in mustard, served on a flat piece of grey cardboard. l don’t remember nibbling the cardboard, though l strongly suspect that its nutritive value would have been higher than the “mystery meat” of the sausage.

To be fair, the wurst tasted OK, although l was left with nagging concerns about what it was that l had just eaten: A dissident, “shot while trying to escape”? An arbeiter who had failed to achieve his quota? A few ounces of captured Wehrmacht ersatzfleisch in an old Red Army dunker?

I don’t recall any colonic consequences of the “fizzy gravy” or “flock of sparrows” nature, but the passage of time may have erased any memories of an unexpected time of passage, if you know what l mean.

maximus otter

We didn't go to either of the museums. We did see the Jewish memorial, which is very moving. We also went into the Reichstag (my wife had to book several months previously). We went to the zoo because my wife was desperate to see the pandas (which we managed to see). I hadn't anticipated just how big Berlin was and how spread out things were. The hop on hop off bus takes two hours to do a circular route, and only one way. We stayed at the Radisson Blue with a five story high fish tank in the foyer, which is an astonishing site. There was some stuff I would have liked to have seen, but there were two of us and also time constraints.

l visited Berlin in 1982, back when the “Anti-Fascist Barrier” was up, the Tube station was an international border and the diverse, vibrant border guards shot you if you tried to leave.

l spent a few hours sniggering at what the regime had to offer tourists, then it was time for lunch.

My pal Günther suggested the standard East German worker’s lunch, which cost 70 pfennig IIRC. lt consisted of about four or five inches of greyish sausage slathered in mustard, served on a flat piece of grey cardboard. l don’t remember nibbling the cardboard, though l strongly suspect that its nutritive value would have been higher than the “mystery meat” of the sausage.

To be fair, the wurst tasted OK, although l was left with nagging concerns about what it was that l had just eaten: A dissident, “shot while trying to escape”? An arbeiter who had failed to achieve his quota? A few ounces of captured Wehrmacht ersatzfleisch in an old Red Army dunker?

I don’t recall any colonic consequences of the “fizzy gravy” or “flock of sparrows” nature, but the passage of time may have erased any memories of an unexpected time of passage, if you know what l mean.

maximus otter
I guess it wasn't the "wurst" sausage you'd ever eaten?

Back