• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
There's probably another variant on this out there, but with aliens/zombies/whatever.
I'd say 'Carpenter's 'Assault on Precinct 13' had a lot to thank 'The Omega Man' for with the whole crazies storming at a location story line.

Assault on Precinct 13 is basically Rio Bravo with a cholo.

Which in turn lead to El Dorado and Rio Lobo which has the same "sheriff defends the jail trope". All three were Hawks films and all starred John Wayne. Rio lobo from memory is the weakest, but it's been awhile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Bravo_(film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Dorado_(1966_film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Lobo

Carpenter Loved Hawks and I think cites him as his biggest influence. After all Carpenter's best film The Thing is a remake of the Hawks studio classic.
Film1951-TheThingFromAnotherWorld-OriginalPoster.jpg
which
some believe, (Carpenter amongt them) Hawks practically directed.

In 1951, Hawks produced, and some believe essentially directed, a science-fiction film, The Thing from Another World. Director John Carpenter stated: "And let's get the record straight. The movie was directed by Howard Hawks. Verifiably directed by Howard Hawks. He let his editor, Christian Nyby, take credit. But the kind of feeling between the male characters—the camaraderie, the group of men that has to fight off the evil—it's all pure Hawksian."[12][13

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Hawks

The Strangers: Prey at Night: A family arrives at a lakeside resort, no sign of the relatives who run it. People wearing masks and hoods appear. Aunt and uncle are found murdered. Could have been a good slasher film but it just seems formulaic, director was on autopilot and script not at all original.

Some great scenes (for horror fans), stabbings, a hatchet making scraping noises as it's scraped along the ground. Teenager being pursued by pickup truck which is on fire, teen being chased by axeman, underwater fight scenes in swimming pool, people being shredded with multiple shotgun blasts, cars being t-boned, trucks crashing into trailers. but it just doesn't build up tension or create a greater total of horror. Disappointing. 5/10.

Which in turn lead to El Dorado and Rio Lobo which has the same "sheriff defends the jail trope". All three were Hawks films and all starred John Wayne. Rio lobo from memory is the weakest, but it's been awhile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Bravo_(film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Dorado_(1966_film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Lobo

Carpenter Loved Hawks and I think cites him as his biggest influence. After all Carpenter's best film The Thing is a remake of the Hawks studio classic.
Film1951-TheThingFromAnotherWorld-OriginalPoster.jpg
which
some believe, (Carpenter amongt them) Hawks practically directed.

In 1951, Hawks produced, and some believe essentially directed, a science-fiction film, The Thing from Another World. Director John Carpenter stated: "And let's get the record straight. The movie was directed by Howard Hawks. Verifiably directed by Howard Hawks. He let his editor, Christian Nyby, take credit. But the kind of feeling between the male characters—the camaraderie, the group of men that has to fight off the evil—it's all pure Hawksian."[12][13

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Hawks

A great film with a great remake "The thing from another world".

Family Blood: Elle (Vinessa Shaw) is a recovering addict, she moves to a new city with her children Kyle (Colin Ford) and Amy (Eloise Lushina). At an Addicts Anonymous Meeting she meets up with Christopher (James Ransone) who it turns out is a vampire. To "save" Elle from her traumas, Christopher turns her. Her children along with Kyle's school friend Meegan (Ajiona Alexus) presume Elle has started using pills again. We then get to observe her dark descent.

Elle is unable to hold down food, even when she tries to take pills she immediately regurgitates them.Desperate she roams the night and eventually kills and exsanguinates a cat, later moving on to the pet's owner. These vampires don't fear crucifixes or garlic and prove rather hard to kill. They ask if they can come in, but they're just being (sarcastically) polite, they don't need an invitation.

Some convincing acting by Shaw, Ford and Alexus, good vampire attack scenes but the pace is uneven. Too much dreariness between the action sequences, at times I felt it was like Angela's Ashes - with Vampires. 6/10. On Netflix.

Reactions: Jim
I like the old horror films, Carrie, Halloween, Nightmare On Elm Street, and a very old one called The Beast With Five Fingers.

Peter Lorre's great in The Beast with Five Fingers! The special effects are pretty good too. Pity the ending is a bit "and it was all a dream", though. Michael Caine starred in a loose remake called The Hand, which was an early Oliver Stone thing. Not Thing from The Addams Family.

Killer Mermaid (AKA Nymph): gave up on it after 20 minutes. Wooden acting. three deaths already but no real excitement.

Peter Lorre's great in The Beast with Five Fingers! The special effects are pretty good too. Pity the ending is a bit "and it was all a dream", though. Michael Caine starred in a loose remake called The Hand, which was an early Oliver Stone thing. Not Thing from The Addams Family.

Also some good disembodied hand action in Dr Terror's House of Horror.

dr-terror-hand.jpg

The Wailing: South Korean Horror involving Demons, a Shaman, strange infections, murders and perhaps Zombies; certainly a lot of biting going on. A Japanese stranger (Jun Kunimura) is living in a shack in the woods in rural South Korea, people say that he eats deer alive and infects people, perhaps both physically and mentally. Is he some sort of Demon? There is also a strange young woman (Chun Woo-hee), is she in fact the source of the area's ills?

Villagers begin to act strangely, start murder each other gruesomely, run around biting people, commit arson. A local police sergeant (Kwak Do-won) investigates and puts his own family at risk. His daughter (Kim Hwan-hee) may be possessed or controlled by a Demon. He is persuaded to call in a Shaman (Hwang Jung-min) to perform an exorcism but the Shaman realises that this in itself won't solve the problem, a stronger ritual will be required to finally rid the village of the Demon.

Quite a violent film with several brutal murders committed both on and off stage. Also elements of psychological terror are well used throughout the film, in particular the primeval panic evoked by the forest. The ritual itself is explained and illustrated in detail, both the animal sacrifices during it and the cleansing rites necessary beforehand, bringing to mind the film A Dark Song. This is South Korean Folk Horror.

Directed and written by Na Hong-jin this is a demanding film which you will not easily put out of your mind. At 156 minutes however it does drag at time and would have benefited from 20 minutes being judiciously cut from the running time. 8.5/10. On Netflix.

Dismembered hand is also in the horror comedies 'Idle Hands' and 'Waxwork 1 & 2', there's also one in 'HOUSE' .. they're the ones not mentioned yet that I can remember just off the top of my head.

I think this film is bloody and gruesome enough to fit in here.

Revenge: Vengeance is something which is integral to the Irish Psyche so a film titled Revenge does carry a certain attraction for me. In this tale, Jen (Matilda Lutz) travels with her wealthy married boyfriend Richard (Kevin Janssens) to his remote hunting lodge situated in high desert scrubland. Unexpectedly Richard's two friends turn up early for a planned hunt. When Richard goes to collect hunting permits, one of the hunters rapes Jen. Richard wants to cover things up and offers Jen money and a new job but when she threatens to contact his wife he turns violent and eventually pushes her off of a cliff.

Jen survives and the hunt is on. But even these three experienced hunters find tracking down Jen no easy task as she turns the tables on them. Through desert, a river, scrubland and mountains the chase continues but who is really being hunted? This is a disturbing film but Jen is no victim and Revenge is not a run of the mill gore film. But there is plenty of blood spilled, initially as Jen is injured and yet more as she tends to her wounds (with the help of peyote) and strikes back in some disturbing scenes. Tension is maintained until the end as the duel continues.

Some convincing acting by Lutz and Janssens with Lutz in particular shining like a warrior woman. Directed and written by Coralie Fargeat, Revenge has some great desert and chase shots, also the cat and mouse battle in the mountains is superbly captured by cinematographer Robrecht Heyvaert. The spare dialogue in French and English makes clear the imbalance of power at all stages between Jen and the three men, bringing to mind Marlina The Murderer In Four Acts. 8.5/10

They seem to have captured the look and feel of the original very well there!

looking forward to not leaving the theatre prematurely in disgust (blockers, life of the party, eugene o neills a long days journey ...) during hereditary, but it could all be hot air i suppose

Not sure if it's a horror film or not but The Lighthouse looks pretty grim .. and it's winning loads of BAFTA's .. (trailer in link)

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/80142

Looks interesting and looks like Horror!

No new Horror in Dublin cinemas until Hereditary, the Dublin Horror Society will have a Meet Up for that on 19 June.

"Dark Skies" an atmospheric sci-fi - horror movie. A family is victimized for no apparent reason by terrifying - weird experiments. The creatures only appear briefly in the film. This serves to greatly enhance the terror and suspense. 3.5 stars. Do watch

The Wailing: South Korean Horror involving Demons, a Shaman, strange infections, murders and perhaps Zombies; certainly a lot of biting going on. A Japanese stranger (Jun Kunimura) is living in a shack in the woods in rural South Korea, people say that he eats deer alive and infects people, perhaps both physically and mentally. Is he some sort of Demon? There is also a strange young woman (Chun Woo-hee), is she in fact the source of the area's ills?

Villagers begin to act strangely, start murder each other gruesomely, run around biting people, commit arson. A local police sergeant (Kwak Do-won) investigates and puts his own family at risk. His daughter (Kim Hwan-hee) may be possessed or controlled by a Demon. He is persuaded to call in a Shaman (Hwang Jung-min) to perform an exorcism but the Shaman realises that this in itself won't solve the problem, a stronger ritual will be required to finally rid the village of the Demon.

Quite a violent film with several brutal murders committed both on and off stage. Also elements of psychological terror are well used throughout the film, in particular the primeval panic evoked by the forest. The ritual itself is explained and illustrated in detail, both the animal sacrifices during it and the cleansing rites necessary beforehand, bringing to mind the film A Dark Song. This is South Korean Folk Horror.

Directed and written by Na Hong-jin this is a demanding film which you will not easily put out of your mind. At 156 minutes however it does drag at time and would have benefited from 20 minutes being judiciously cut from the running time. 8.5/10. On Netflix.

I was wondering about this one, thanks for the review I'll check it out.

I've just posted this in the John Carpenter thread but on the chance than any horror fans don't spot it there, ladies and gentlemen ... the HALLOWEEN 2018 trailer .. oh yes .. I can't f*****g wait ! ... we're being told to ignore all of the other films except the original so this is now the true second night ..

I don't think I've ever seen Halloween, which seems unlikely...but that does look incredibly good! It's on the list.

Hereditary on Thursday. Really looking forward to it.

I don't think I've ever seen Halloween, which seems unlikely...but that does look incredibly good! It's on the list.

Hereditary on Thursday. Really looking forward to it.
If you've never seen HALLOWEEN, the one thing you won't get the benefit of without watching it before this one is that it's widely regarded as the original blueprint of ALL the stalk and slash genre horrors ... thousands of films have imitated it over the last four decades and so now I'm reading reviews of the above trailer today saying stuff along the lines of "It looks cliched ?" .. a bit like saying "You know that Elvis Presley? .. I've never heard of him myself, have you? .. but I'm sure he's ripping of Shakin Stevens" ..

Last edited:
I must have seen it back in the day. I certainly feel like I know it.

I've just posted this in the John Carpenter thread but on the chance than any horror fans don't spot it there, ladies and gentlemen ... the HALLOWEEN 2018 trailer .. oh yes .. I can't f*****g wait ! ... we're being told to ignore all of the other films except the original so this is now the true second night ..

Halloween, the original, is one of my all time favourite films; it terrifies me! I have only ever seen one of the subsequent movies (Halloween III: Season of the Witch) which I enjoyed immensely.

I am excited for this new sequel (which brushes aside the previous sequels) but somehow the trailer left me cold. I would have liked it to have given me the same (or better) feeling of terror that the trailer for Hereditary does (goose-bumps, starting tears). It just doesn't. I'm still going to watch it; it's Halloween and Jamie Lee Curtis looks ass-kickingly epic! But will it scare me as much as the original, or as much as Hereditary might do? I'm looking forward to finding out.

PS...here's a trailer for Hereditary...
minor quibble: in that trailer they* present the name of a previous film incorrectly: it's The VVitch, not The Witch.
Bloody great film, by the way. Watch (or vvatch) it if you haven't.

The Predator films are as much horror as the Alien series (I know they crossed over), all part of the advances in special effects of the late 70s which allowed more convincing gore and a new era of rubber monsters not seen since the 50s.

The only scary thing about this next one will be if they don't all have enough prosseco, gin and canapes for the premier after party by the looks of this trailer .. :yawn: .. it looks like a dull attempt at trying to be The Haunting mixed with Downton Abbey with a sprinkle of Borley Rectory ..

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/80184

Last edited:
Back