• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People You Thought Were Dead

Not that it's kept me awake at night, but I've been long convinced that Jan Michael Vincent died in the late 80s. We were watching a bit of The Winds of War the other day, and I mentioned this "fact" to my other half.

As I tend to do, I then Googled the details. Turns out he's 73, and very much alive.

Not that it's kept me awake at night, but I've been long convinced that Jan Michael Vincent died in the late 80s. We were watching a bit of The Winds of War the other day, and I mentioned this "fact" to my other half.

As I tend to do, I then Googled the details. Turns out he's 73, and very much alive.
I wondered about that too - beyond Airwolf, he didn't really do much, then faded away.
He's a bit of a sad case. He had to have one leg amputated. :(

I wondered about that too - beyond Airwolf, he didn't really do much, then faded away.
He's a bit of a sad case. He had to have one leg amputated. :(
He was great as Mat Johnson in the surfing classic Big Wednesday .. Cromer's surfer beach buddy scene is identical to this .. edit: reminds me of my old flatmate, we had to rescue him when he surfed shitfaced .. 3 hours sleep later and we went back to work.

Last edited:

Maybe you were thinking of Jon-Erik Hexum, he was up and coming in the 80s, but died from a head injury from a blank cartridge on the set of 'Cover Up'

Maybe you were thinking of Jon-Erik Hexum, he was up and coming in the 80s, but died from a head injury from a blank cartridge on the set of 'Cover Up'

An interesting thought, and the names are similar, but in all honesty, the name Jon-Erik Hexum didn't ring any bells at all when I read your suggestion. I honestly don't think I'd ever heard of him before. To be sure, now I've Googled him, he looks vaguely familiar, and he did die young, but I'm still not sure that I confused the two.

I had this very firm idea that I heard about Jan Michael Vincent's death, aged around his mid-40s, probably from a heart attack, sometime in the late 80s or very early 90s. On top of that (now obvious!) misapprehension, I find that he hit hard times, and lost a leg, all of which is just as surprising to me as finding that he didn't die 30 years ago.

I had this very firm idea that I heard about Jan Michael Vincent's death, aged around his mid-40s, probably from a heart attack, sometime in the late 80s or very early 90s. On top of that (now obvious!) misapprehension, I find that he hit hard times, and lost a leg, all of which is just as surprising to me as finding that he didn't die 30 years ago.

He was involved in a couple of serious motor accidents about 30 years ago which might explain it
In the latter half of the 1990s, he was involved in two severe automobile collisions, which he barely survived. In an accident in August 1996 Vincent broke three vertebrae in his neck.[9] He also sustained a permanent injury to his vocal cords from an emergency medical procedure, leaving him with a permanently raspy voice.[10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan-Michael_Vincent

It's almost Fortean that Mr Vincent is still alive, really.

Maybe you're mixing him up with Michael Landon jr, star of little house on the prairie and 80s religio-schlockfest Highway to Heaven, and who died of pancreatic cancer in 91?

Des was on the last series of Harry Hill's Alien Fun Capsule. He was looking really old, but still sprightly. Haven't seen Tarby in years.

When I was in Kent a couple of weeks ago I noticed Frank Ifield was appearing - Broadstairs think. I hadn't thought he'd died but I'd not heard of him in 50 years.

Just saw Demis Roussos in a documentary. WTF? Thought he was dead? Yay, he's alive!
Not a fan really but he seemed nice enough and had an impressive musical career. He was sporting about having the piss ripped over his size and image by comedians and even joined in sometimes on stage, what a trouper!

So I googled him and yup, it's a repeat, he died in 2015. Pancreatic cancer, 68. Sometimes you hate being right!

Just saw Demis Roussos in a documentary. WTF? Thought he was dead? Yay, he's alive!
Not a fan really but he seemed nice enough and had an impressive musical career. He was sporting about having the piss ripped over his size and image by comedians and even joined in sometimes on stage, what a trouper!

So I googled him and yup, it's a repeat, he died in 2015. Pancreatic cancer, 68. Sometimes you hate being right!
The route was short from prog rock to easy listening.

When thinking about, the same goes for Phil Collins. :rim:

On the other hand, Nana Mouskouri is still alive. She was touring when I was in Frankfurt in about 2014 or so, when she would have been 81.

For that matter, so is Vangelis. So the Aphrodite's Child reunion tour just needs a new singer and bassist. They could be the Greek Queen.

Likewise, I'd have bet good money on Jimmy Tarbuck having died a few years ago, but it seems not, and I'm happy for him!

I'd also have sworn that Glyn Edwards died several years back. Sadly, I only found out for certain that he hadn't, when he did. If you see what I mean...
I had a vague recollection of Liza Tarbuck talking about her dad on TV as if he'd died, but I may have misunderstood. I probably just assumed he must have died at some point.

Likewise, I'd have bet good money on Jimmy Tarbuck having died a few years ago, but it seems not, and I'm happy for him!

I'd also have sworn that Glyn Edwards died several years back. Sadly, I only found out for certain that he hadn't, when he did. If you see what I mean...

I'd always wanted to watch The Sopranos but couldn't when it was originally on TV because life, y'know. Eventually caught up with it on DVD and Sky and was bowled over, especially by James Gandolfini's magnificent performance. (That man could convey half of Hamlet with one sideways glance.)

A few weeks after I finished watching the entire 80-odd episode series Gandolfini died. Seemed sad that I'd only appreciated him for a short time while he was alive.

I thought Christopher Lee had died in the 70's until I saw him on telly the other day :confused:

Now he is dead he die on June 7 2015

I know your post was in 2002 but just letting you know in case you didn't know so

I was sure that Graham Kerr (The Galloping Gourmet) had died about 10-20 years ago. But, nope He's still pretty much alive.

A lot of people seem to think so! (I wasn't sure). I suspect this is due to two confusions:

a) The actor Bill Kerr, of Hancock fame etc, having left us about four years ago.

b) Confusing Graham Kerr with that other great telly chef and food writer Robert Carrier, who was also on TV screens throughout the seventies (and who is definitely brown bread, sadly).

Thanks to this thread I have learned that Kerr (G) is responsible for the food item known as the "MEV" or Moulded Ethnic Vegetable. Beat that, Blumenthal.

Last edited:
A lot of people seem to think so! (I wasn't sure). I suspect this is due to two confusions:

a) The actor Bill Kerr, of Hancock fame etc, having left us about four years ago.

b) Confusing Graham Kerr with that other great telly chef and food writer Robert Carrier, who was also on TV screens throughout the seventies (and who is definitely brown bread, sadly).

Thanks to this thread I have learned that Kerr (G) is responsible for the food item known as the "MEV" or Moulded Ethnic Vegetable. Beat that, Blumenthal.
He's most famous for having a 'quick slurp'.

And adding masses of cream. The reason he's still alive is probably because he eschewed the fatty ingredients eventually and became dedicated to health food.

He would also raise a glass of wine to his lips as a cue to the director to cut to commercials, then would bring it back up to his lips right before the show came back on. This gave the impression to some viewers that he was drinking heavily during the taping. In reality he drank very little.[3]

Bah! He made fools of us all with his phoney proto-Floydian antics. Didn't Keef F appropriate that 'quick slurp' catchphrase?

Bah! He made fools of us all with his phoney proto-Floydian antics. Didn't Keef F appropriate that 'quick slurp' catchphrase?
Nah, he was just an alcoholic.

Graham Kerr was always on the ABC after The Goodies. Or maybe it was after. Don't remember exactly. At least then you could get the references in the Lost Tribe of the Orinoco episode.

For some reason just now I thought David Soul was dead. after a quick check, phew, yup, he's going strong!

I admire him for admitting what a wifebeating drunk he was and turning his life around, and for speaking out against domestic violence.

Nah, he was just an alcoholic.

According to the Telegraph:

"Most popular with his viewers was Floyd's habit of never cooking without a glass of some local vintage to hand. This he owed to his long-standing BBC producer David Pritchard, who advised him to fill in the boring bits with "a quick slurp". Retakes required refills. A committed drinker, Floyd slurped more than any television chef before or since."

So it appears it was this Pritchard character who half-inched Kerr's katchphrase.

For a while I have thought Jean-Paul Belmondo was dead. Nope, he's 85 y.o. and very much alive.

Back