• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT368

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Hey, I got the new ish early for a change! Have read a bit, the letters page was pretty snippy and testy this time, I note. Main article about robots taking over or something.

Interesting apology for issue 236's back page in the editorial. Scared the kids, apparently. Some of us remember the gory horror covers on paperbacks in supermarkets in the 70s and 80s! Or the horror videos in the local newsagents! Didn't do us any harm! Er...

Hey, I got the new ish early for a change! Have read a bit, the letters page was pretty snippy and testy this time, I note. Main article about robots taking over or something.

Interesting apology for issue 236's back page in the editorial. Scared the kids, apparently. Some of us remember the gory horror covers on paperbacks in supermarkets in the 70s and 80s! Or the horror videos in the local newsagents! Didn't do us any harm! Er...

Ha, my 4 year old son saw that lying beside my bed and said, "Can I read that? Scream?"

You're obviously a responsible parent! Good to hear...
Responsible parent, Fortean, Secret Agent, Thorough and Generous Lover, Needlepoint enthusiast, defender of the mezzanine...

I enjoyed the ghoulish article on sentient severed heads, there seems to be a good balance of Forteana in the rest of the issue as well so I won't be binge reading it this month ..

As for Scream magazine, isn't this its second incantation ? .. I'm sure I remember buying it in the late 80's to early 90's then didn't see it on the shelves again for years .. If parents are concerned about current Scream front covers, they should have seen the gory covers of horror film Fangoria and Gorezone magazines sold in all good newsagents. I've still got quite a few of those mags lovingly sealed and card backed as well as Samhain and The Dark side .. :)

There was a horror comic called Scream in the 1980s, maybe that's what you're thinking of? Sort of an updated EC thing, got merged with The Eagle reboot after about thirty issues.

There was a horror comic called Scream in the 1980s, maybe that's what you're thinking of? Sort of an updated EC thing, got merged with The Eagle reboot after about thirty issues.
Thanks both of you, that's the one I remember I used to buy, I loved it :)

The beheading article is a great example of tying threads together, very entertaining. Not sure about calling the Nora Hollis philosophy "Hollisism", it indicates it's a legitimate way of belief but I bet damn few readers had ever heard of her and her derangement. Apart from that, good article.

I've really been enjoying Ghostwatch's articles on scary mists, pity there were only two instalments, great high strangeness.

Out of curiosity, I Googled the term "beast knickers" as seen in the latest Phenomenomix, and got a number of hits - for Beauty and the Beast underwear. Won't be doing that again.

The beheading article is a great example of tying threads together, very entertaining. Not sure about calling the Nora Hollis philosophy "Hollisism", it indicates it's a legitimate way of belief but I bet damn few readers had ever heard of her and her derangement. Apart from that, good article.

I really appreciated this article. I just found that the common points with her conclusions and the early christian dissidents (Cathars being the most famous), that also talked about the imprint of the Demiurge on the physical world, were hastly suggested in one single sentence. It would be possible for Nora to have been in contact with early gnostic teachings through the Teosophists she frequented during her life. Maybe this contact provided more food for thought than the article credits.

This issue brings, again, the subject of the Mandela Effect. The name given to the false memories phenomenon disturbs me particulary, as I have stated elswhere in this message board. To cut story short : Mandela haven't died on prison during the early 1980s. Steve Biko died on prison, in 1977. More disturbing than false memories, this mistake concerns the way we create amalgams of real events and real people, superimposed on our perception just because they have common points. Sorry for the rant, I won't say no more.

This issue brings, again, the subject of the Mandela Effect. The name given to the false memories phenomenon disturbs me particulary, as I have stated elswhere in this message board. To cut story short : Mandela haven't died on prison during the early 1980s. Steve Biko died on prison, in 1977. More disturbing than false memories, this mistake concerns the way we create amalgams of real events and real people, superimposed on our perception just because they have common points. Sorry for the rant, I won't say no more.

The article misspelled Darth Vader too - trying to create an effect of its own?

Did anyone else get the time travelling version?
66CB2B6A-02FA-44D0-A478-873803CFDEB0.jpeg

Well spotted, Ange! My cover's like that too! Obviously the rogue AI beginning their campaign of mass hysteria.

Mine too. Didn´t notice until you pointed it out. Guess they´re all like that.

Mine too. Didn´t notice until you pointed it out. Guess they´re all like that.
Must be something to do with that new-fangled moveable type stuff.

A certain schadenfreude when I notice the odd typo in FT - now at least no-one can blame me for this one!

I knew the story that Guillotin was horrified to hear the contraption took his name, didn't realise it wasn't him who actually built it.

Intrigued now to investigate where the atelier it was first built was in Paris, if that is something I can figure out.

Back