• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Deaths

So he stepped into it and it fell on him, if it did this then it ripped away from the heater and must have left a sizeable hole,I'm sorry, I am being a pain in the ass here, but I cannot wrap my head around this, he was cleaning out a cupboard, when a wardrobe fell on him, so he ripped a pipe out so he could hit the door, but if the wardrobe fell on him the door would be on the floor

From the report, which I didn't copy/paste in respect for copyright -

(he) was believed to have been cleaning out his cupboard when a wardrobe toppled over and trapped him inside. The father-of-two was unable to get out because the heavy wardrobe was wedged against the cupboard door.

So he was inside the cupboard, probably a built-in one (Victorian houses have them) when the wardrobe fell against it and jammed the door shut trapping him. He wasn't in the wardrobe.

From the report, which I didn't copy/paste in respect for copyright -

So he was inside the cupboard, probably a built-in one (Victorian houses have them) when the wardrobe fell against it and jammed the door shut trapping him. He wasn't in the wardrobe.
How did the wardrobe topple then?

I first heard about this incident in a TV show about strange deaths. Brrr.

How did the wardrobe topple then?

Dunno, that wasn't explained. Maybe that's where the 'open' verdict comes in?

He was cleaning the cupboard so maybe he'd started a big spring clean and moved the wardrobe first, unsteadying it. That's just speculation though.

So he stepped into it and it fell on him, if it did this then it ripped away from the heater and must have left a sizeable hole,I'm sorry, I am being a pain in the ass here, but I cannot wrap my head around this, he was cleaning out a cupboard, when a wardrobe fell on him, so he ripped a pipe out so he could hit the door, but if the wardrobe fell on him the door would be on the floor
No, the door fell across the front of the cupboard while he was inside, closing the door and trapping him inside.
No idea how that would have happened without human intervention.

It's just struck me that both these unlucky people were trapped in cupboards and tried to break out by snapping off a length of piping, thus spraying cold water over themselves and so hastening their end.

It's just struck me that both these unlucky people were trapped in cupboards and tried to break out by snapping off a length of piping, thus spraying cold water over themselves and so hastening their end.
This creeps me out because, faced with no other choice than to carve a hole out of the back of the wardrobe, I'd do exactly the same thing ..

Yep - that's the crucial (and eventually fatal ... ) factor in both cases.

The other factor common to both cases is that other people nearby heard the victims' beating / banging, but assumed it was caused by some benign activity in progress and did not investigate.

I wonder if the third parties would have recognized an 'SOS' being tapped out over and over ... :thought:

Crikey .. apparently inhaling helium from balloons can kill you .. it's from the internet so it must be true ..

I have only tried that once, years ago, from a balloon, it didnt work

Inhaling heavier-than-air gasses can be a problem. They might stay at the bottom of the lungs and keep the oxygen away.

Inhaling heavier-than-air gasses can be a problem. They might stay at the bottom of the lungs and keep the oxygen away.
That's why you have to turn upside-down and hyperventilate afterwards.

Yes, you can die from helium inhalation. You can also die from your operation not going ahead because the helium necessary for it to succeed has been frittered away on billions of party balloons.

That's why you have to turn upside-down and hyperventilate afterwards.

That won't work because the helium will already be absorbed by tiny structures in the lungs called alveoli, where gas exchange takes place.

That won't work because the helium will already be absorbed by tiny structures in the lungs called alveoli, where gas exchange takes place.
Wasn't talkin' 'bout helium.
For helium, hyperventilating is still the thing to do, to shift as much gas out of the lungs as possible.

Back