• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Bees Make Honey also looks like an usual film:

Bees Make Honey is a visually striking dark comedy that blends 1930s period décor with modern music and lively editing. It is a murder-mystery set in a haunted manor house. 1934 - England. A beautiful damsel is in distress following the unsolved murder of her husband at their annual Hallow’s Eve bash. In a desperate attempt to solve the crime herself, Honey (Alice Eve) recreates the exact circumstances a year later and secretly employs a Police Inspector to retrace her deceased husband’s ill-fated steps… From writer / director Jack Eve, starring Alice Eve (Star Trek Into Darkness) and Trevor Eve (Waking the Dead) alongside Hermione Corfield (Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation), Joséphine de La Baume (The Hitman’s Bodyguard), Wilf Scolding (Game of Thrones), Joshua McGuire (Lovesick), Anatole Taubman (Quantum of Solace) and Ivano Jeremiah (Black Mirror), available in North America, the UK and Ireland on major VOD platforms from Monday July 2nd 2018.

How on earth did I miss this?
One of the wilder visions Neil Young ever had, Human Highway is an anarchic satire conceived in the cauldron of Cold War America. It may also be the secret origin of The Simpsons. Now recut and restored according to Young's own specifications, this fascinating but little-seen film was first released in 1982. Young had assembled a riotous band of players — Dennis Hopper, Dean Stockwell (who also co-directed the film), Sally Kirkland, and the members of Devo — whose combined energies produced a cinematic Molotov cocktail aimed straight at our society's own cluelessness. Lionel Switch (Young) is an absolute nerd and the auto mechanic at a gas station owned by Otto (Stockwell). Otto also owns the adjacent diner, where the waitress (Kirkland) is unpredictable and the cook (Hopper) flat-out volatile. They all live in a town next door to a nuclear plant, but no one seems to worry. Lionel can't believe that radiation is a real threat, since he's worked on "almost every radiator in every car in town." Their ignorance won't matter much in the end, though, since this will be their last day on earth. Once described as "The Wizard of Oz on acid," Human Highway plays like a Rowan & Martin pastiche with a wickedly radical core. Casting Mark Mothersbaugh and his Devo bandmates as nuclear plant workers was a master stroke, and it pays off in spades when they break into their own keening version of "Worried Man Blues." It's also a thrill to see Young play not just the geeky Lionel but his rock-star alter ego Frankie Fontaine, who teams up with Devo for an epic version of "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)." Three decades have passed, but Human Highway remains a thermonuclear reminder of the crazy, chaotic energy to be found at the end of the road.

HH has a pretty good musical number at the end, but it's a slog to get there, like being told a bunch of important info only to have the teller say he was only kidding over and over again. I liked Young's recent floating cowboys concert movie better.

Alien Code looks interesting, a disturbed hacker gets too close to the truth about aliens ..

alien-code-movie-the-men-the-observers-2_large.jpg

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/80239

I see you can buy tinfoil hats on Amazon now ..

https://www.amazon.com/Electro-Defl...essionTimestamp=1529560870076#customerReviews

Another film I hadn't heard of - Poor Devil, with Sammy Davis Jr, Christopher Lee, and Adam West!

This is very Fortean in a different way - Welcome to Marwen:
This holiday season, Academy Award® winner Robert Zemeckis—the groundbreaking filmmaker behind Forrest Gump, Flight and Cast Away—directs Steve Carell in the most original movie of the year. Welcome to Marwen tells the miraculous true story of one broken man’s fight as he discovers how artistic imagination can restore the human spirit. When a devastating attack shatters Mark Hogancamp (Carell) and wipes away all memories, no one expected recovery. Putting together pieces from his old and new life, Mark meticulously creates a wondrous town where he can heal and be heroic. As he builds an astonishing art installation—a testament to the most powerful women he knows—through his fantasy world, he draws strength to triumph in the real one. In a bold, wondrous and timely film from this revolutionary pioneer of contemporary cinema, Welcome to Marwen shows that when your only weapon is your imagination…you’ll find courage in the most unexpected place. The epic drama is produced by Oscar®-winning producer Steve Starkey (Forrest Gump, Flight), Jack Rapke (Cast Away, Flight), and Cherylanne Martin (The Pacific, Flight) of Zemeckis’ Universal-based ImageMovers banner produce alongside the director. It is executive produced by Jackie Levine, as well as Jeff Malmberg, who directed the riveting 2010 documentary that inspired the film.

Based on a true story.

It’s been the subject of a documentary, which is well worth watching.

Yes, it's an excellent documentary, but this fictionalisation sounds really saccharine. It's actually kind of depressing, not inspirational - you wish the guy the best of luck, but he's a tragic misfit when you get down to it.

Yes, it's an excellent documentary, but this fictionalisation sounds really saccharine. It's actually kind of depressing, not inspirational - you wish the guy the best of luck, but he's a tragic misfit when you get down to it.

Is he a cross-dresser in that new film? Because as I recall that's why he got beaten up and left brain damaged in real life.

Is he a cross-dresser in that new film? Because as I recall that's why he got beaten up and left brain damaged in real life.

If they leave that out they're doing him a great disservice. I always remember those powerful women in his fantasies who can rescue him, not something that happened in real life.

Watched The Endless last night. Quite a good effort from an indy team. The 2 main leads were played by the film makers themselves. Curious plotting and cinematography, but the supernatural concept was interesting if underdeveloped. Apparently this is the third in a series by these guys, so that may explain the ambiguous ending. Worth a ganders. 3.5/5

Watched The Endless last night. Quite a good effort from an indy team. The 2 main leads were played by the film makers themselves. Curious plotting and cinematography, but the supernatural concept was interesting if underdeveloped. Apparently this is the third in a series by these guys, so that may explain the ambiguous ending. Worth a ganders. 3.5/5

If you see their previous film Resolution, The Endless makes more sense, they exist in the same twisted universe. I laughed out loud when two of the characters from the first movie showed up in the second - still there!

If you see their previous film Resolution, The Endless makes more sense, they exist in the same twisted universe. I laughed out loud when two of the characters from the first movie showed up in the second - still there!

I haven't seen Resolution but I liked the Endless, thought it was more SciFi than Horror.

Not a Horror Film as such but seeing as it's about the author of Frankenstein it probably fits here.

Mary Shelley: This film is a tad confused as it tries to fit so much into a 2 hour running time. There is the romance between Percy Shelley (Douglas Booth) and Mary Wollstonecraft (Elle Fanning); her freethinking father William Godwin (Stephen Dillane); her deceased mother Mary Wollstonecraft the author of A Vindication of the Rights of Woman; the affair between Mary's stepsister Claire Clairmont (Bel Powley) and Lord Byron (Tom Sturridge); then there is the tale of the Swiss villa where the Frankenstein story was conceived. Mary even has a nasty stepmother (Joanne Froggatt).

Booth and Fanning both look exceedingly pretty and it's certainly lust if not love at first sight but somehow there are no real sparks in the relationship. Shelley is a cad who has deserted his wife and child and now hopes to have free love with Mary and more on the side. The real fire rages between Powley and Sturridge even if his Byron portrayal is somewhat reminiscent of Jason Isaacs plying Zhukov. The Swiss scenes where Frankenstein was thought up are surprisingly low key with Polidori (Ben Hardy) providing the main interest.

This might have worked better as a six hour TV mini-series. 6/10.

Douglas Booth should really be fronting a rock band with those pouting looks. The reason he isn't, I suspect, is because he has a weird voice.

You Were Never really Here

Joaquin Phoenix leads a PTSD thriller about a hired gun who saves stolen girls from the swapmeets of the upper echelon. Really sparse plotting keeps you guessing. Phoenix has raw power, as usual. Hits you in the cortex pretty good. Intriguing film. Will watch again. 4/5

You Were Never really Here

Joaquin Phoenix leads a PTSD thriller about a hired gun who saves stolen girls from the swapmeets of the upper echelon. Really sparse plotting keeps you guessing. Phoenix has raw power, as usual. Hits you in the cortex pretty good. Intriguing film. Will watch again. 4/5

Yeah, pretty good intelligent thriller.

I've only just read that the BBC are screening a six-part reworking of Picnic At Hanging Rock.

The locations/sets and costumes look amazing from the photographs, but--as we know from the film--tone is crucial.

Has anybody seen it?

I've only just read that the BBC are screening a six-part reworking of Picnic At Hanging Rock.

The locations/sets and costumes look amazing from the photographs, but--as we know from the film--tone is crucial.

Has anybody seen it?
It was on last night. I gave it a miss, as it's on the BBC.

I'll definitely be looking for it. One of our finest folk tales, believe it or not. Ta for the heads up, Yithian.

Oh it stars the edible Natalie Dormer. A must watch.

Guardian rates the production as "As mysterious as the film, but grander". hm

Back