• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Almasty Thread

Isn't the area of the dig one in which there have been legends and even sightings of hairy hominids? These legends precede these findings as did those of "little people" found on the island of Flores and nicknamed "hobbits". Would the sites of such legends be a good hunting ground for more hominid remains?

Also, don't the stories from that area tell of a more human looking cryptid.

Well the Almasty are meant to look a lot more human than the yeti or bigfoot.

.. hence Myra Shackley's theory that they are relict hominids (she leans toward Neanderthal) as opposed to unknown great apes.

Besides, I thought that virtually all cryptozoologists agree that the existence of the Almasty was pretty much accepted, given the sheer and consistent weight of local references, not to mention Zana* and Khwit. I remember yeti-obsessive Brian Blessed a year or three ago on Radio 4 happily stating that locals in that part of the world entirely co-exist with the Almasty, albeit at a respectful distance, and that the latter are Nomadic.

Anyone else remember that?

*the Zana thread does occasionally wander back to the eponymous subject in between the OT squabbling...

Two of the scientist on my 2008 expedition to the Cavausus had seen almastys. Local people excepted them as just another part of the local fauna, if a rare one.

In an ideal world I wish they'd have caught video of it. I wonder how isolated the spot was because if it's a very good costume and if it's false it would have been difficult to transport through miles of snow if the location of the pictures was very remote. I'm not convinced that his computer know how proves this is real ... altering the images until they eventually look like a 'man beast' ? .. is there any more information online?

The tripe about paranormal almasty is cringe inducing rubbish. Alot of the Siberia stuff has been discredited but i think there is a 'wildman' in Russia. Probobly an early offshoot of Homo erectus.

What the article doesn't mention is the ongoing issue around the identity of the Kwhit skull that is in the possession of the Moscow investigators. This skull belonged to of one of the ancestors of Yana, the wild woman of Central Asia. It was disinterred by Igor Burtsev many years ago, and many people have pronounced on its non-human appearance.

Professor Bryan Sykes of Oxford University conducted a DNA matching study of many of the hair and bone samples of purported yeti and bigfoot origin that he had been provided with. Many of these he identified as coming from known animals.

When it came to the Kwhit skull, however he hesitated. Initially, he said that it might be the descendant of an African slave that had somehow ended up in the area. More lately, however, he has been quoted in the press as saying that the skull doesn't match that of any known human group, and that , though its origins were still most probably African - it may have been a part of a species that came from Africa many thousands of years ago.

It may yet turn out that that the Russian investigators hold the only real physical evidence there is of relict hominids.

A Russian man claims he met an abominable snowman and the mythical beast even posed for a picture with him.

Andrey Lyubchenko, who says the yeti even gave him an autograph, admits people may well think he's "insane" when he describes the brief encounter.

The artist says he met the fabled creature in the remote mountains of the Kemerovo region, in Russia.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/i-met-yeti-posed-picture-6288716

These yetis get more showbiz by the day, there must be a reality TV show coming up. Where does a yeti learn to write, incidentally? Or was it a different kind of autograph? Which is... um...

A schoolboy is claiming to have discovered startling 'proof' of a Yeti - a huge footprint twice the size of a normal man's.

Denis Alexandrov was on a camping trip with pals in Siberia when he set out for a walk in the early morning in the mountainous Shorsky National Park in Kemerovo region.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/yeti-footprint-twice-size-mans-6363267

So, any experts able to comment on weight distribution, etc.?

Yeti-footprints-1-must-credit-Andrei-Alexandrov-The-Siberian-Times-queries-Will-Stewart-007-985-998-94-00.jpg

Last edited:
With a clear print like that, wouldn't you see an indentation from the metatarsal and the ball of the foot (base of the big toe)? Also, some kind of print of the wrinkles of the foot?

It looks to me as though someone has lengthened and broadened a normal footprint then faked toeprints, which look very similar in size.

I'm wondering what it's stepped in. On second thoughts, maybe I'm not. But would there be more than one footprint if an almasty had been going walkabout?

It's a one-footed almasty? Perhaps? :)

Reactions: Jim
The shape is all wrong. The foot would be less curved as these things lake an instep and leave straight, flat footed tracks. The toe distribution is less curved too.Looks like a fake.

Dailymotion interview with Marie-Jeanne Koffman, legendary hunter of the almasty. Its in French if anyone can translate.

Off to Tajikistan to hunt the almasty or dev or gul as it is locally known. Still leaning towards an early offshoot of Homo erectus or Homo habilis. We know the latter had a line outside of Africa now.
Good luck !

Off to Tajikistan to hunt the almasty or dev or gul as it is locally known. Still leaning towards an early offshoot of Homo erectus or Homo habilis. We know the latter had a line outside of Africa now.
Good luck! Give us a detailed report when you return.

Take care! I hope an Almasty doesn't seize you as a mate.

Remember to bring warm socks. Best of luck with it.

Incidentally, do you think the Pintupi-skull could be from a BHH?

Back