• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd People: Cranks, Eccentrics & Nutters

I've met a few people like that, but none in that league. You should count yourself lucky for the opportunity to bask in such a person's awesomeness.

A weird little incident yesterday with what I can only call a troll - not in the mythical creature sort of way but a real-life face-to-face bloke attempting to wind me up in the manner of an internet troll. It was odd.

I was riding along the canal towpath when I stopped to take some pictures of a duck and her 10 or so ducklings (awww, so cute!). I was just about to get back on my bike when a passing boater accused me of littering - I was near a large pile of fly-tipped rubbish. Yep, I always carry tons of rubbish in my cycling backpack! I am absolutely fanatical about not littering, pick other people's litter up, tell litterers off (and once had death threats when I threw some litter back into the car from which it came - he was not amused but couldn't bear to leave his car to kill me!!!).

But the more this conversation went on, the more it became clear it was just to wind me up. Odd. It continued an hour later when I was cycling back. I denied littering, he said he couldn't hear me over the sound of his engine, except when I called him a 'worthless waste of humanity', he told me to f*** off and offered to settle it with a fight. I rode off, but it was an unsettling experience. But I think - I hope - I left him more wound up than me. He was the one reduced to swearing and threats of violence.

There was no danger to me. His boat was about five yards from me when the conversation ended and I was always able to ride off.

Some strange folk out there.
I went on a canal barge weekend with my family ages ago (Alrewas, Staffordshire), my niece was about 1 year old (she's about 20 now) and I was holding her ... there was a seriously weird bloke trying to encourage me to jump from the canal side onto the roof of the boat and, obviously, I didn't .... nobody in their right mind would jump onto a boat holding a baby if they didn't absolutely have to as an absolute last resort .. he just sort of looked at me and grinned when I didn't .. he still creeps me out now thinking about it ..

Strange folk indeed. Or could it be true...

A couple who made unfounded claims the Taoiseach and other senior Irish officials were trying to murder them are to have a £1.6m (€1.8m) lawsuit struck out, the High Court in Belfast has ruled.

Zeus Mitchell and her husband Daniel Osula arrived in Northern Ireland alleging Leo Varadkar, the Director of Public Prosecutions, the Chief State Solicitor and judges in Dublin wanted them killed to conceal “a very serious crime”.

They sued a Northern Ireland Housing Executive representative and a service within a Health and Social Care Trust over how their baseless claims were dealt with.

But Master Bell, sitting at the High Court, granted applications by both defendants to have the actions against them dismissed for being frivolous and hopeless.

A new judgment sets out how Ms Mitchell and a son declared themselves homeless to the Northern Ireland Housing Executive in February 2017.

She claimed Leo Varadkar had instructed other Government officials to murder her family in the Republic of Ireland, Master Bell noted.

Within a few days, temporary accommodation had been allocated to Ms Mitchell and her children. ...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...o-kill-them-thrown-out-of-court-37086286.html

I was on the bus yesterday on the way home from work. I was one seat back from the front on the top deck and there was a woman sat in front of me. A man got on and sat next to this woman. He immediately manspread in ostentatious fashion by putting his feet wide apart on the ledge at the front of the bus. He was carrying a football which he put on the the ledge and immediately had trouble keeping in position as the bus moved. That didn't stop him from taking out three more much smaller balls from his bag and arraying them on the ledge also. Every time the bus stopped or started, the predictable effect occurred and these balls rolled and bounced around all over the place. Eventually he picked up the smaller ones and just held them. With his other hand he took out a gas hob lighter and began clicking it, apparently at people in front of the bus and particularly at a polis car. It was more or less at this point that the poor woman he was sitting next to gave in and came out and sat next to me. Hopefully I was a much better neighbour..

Cocaine epidemic you say?:rolleyes:

He's mentioned a few times on this board, but he doesn't have his own thread, so I'll point out here that in the letters page of FT 370 someone has written in to say F. Gwynplaine MacIntyre might not be dead after all, despite his charred corpse being found in his burnt out apartment a few years back. Apparently someone has been sending letters from Ayer's Rock claiming to be from him. Hoaxer?

Oh, and there's a photo of him in an episode of The Prisoner too. Or someone who may be him. It's pretty murky.

I was on the bus yesterday on the way home from work. I was one seat back from the front on the top deck and there was a woman sat in front of me. A man got on and sat next to this woman. He immediately manspread in ostentatious fashion by putting his feet wide apart on the ledge at the front of the bus. He was carrying a football which he put on the the ledge and immediately had trouble keeping in position as the bus moved. That didn't stop him from taking out three more much smaller balls from his bag and arraying them on the ledge also. Every time the bus stopped or started, the predictable effect occurred and these balls rolled and bounced around all over the place. Eventually he picked up the smaller ones and just held them. With his other hand he took out a gas hob lighter and began clicking it, apparently at people in front of the bus and particularly at a polis car. It was more or less at this point that the poor woman he was sitting next to gave in and came out and sat next to me. Hopefully I was a much better neighbour..

Cocaine epidemic you say?:rolleyes:

No, just a radge bampot.

He's mentioned a few times on this board, but he doesn't have his own thread, so I'll point out here that in the letters page of FT 370 someone has written in to say F. Gwynplaine MacIntyre might not be dead after all, despite his charred corpse being found in his burnt out apartment a few years back. Apparently someone has been sending letters from Ayer's Rock claiming to be from him. Hoaxer?

Oh, and there's a photo of him in an episode of The Prisoner too. Or someone who may be him. It's pretty murky.

There is a message at this site from RealityChuck that might shed some light on it. Or not. There is apparently a brother who might be almost as, um, weird as Froggy. Or not. I already know more about this guy than I want to.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=585898

A similar brother is more believable than a doppelganger or a ghost, I suppose.

Walking along and coming towards a bus stop I saw a fat middle aged lady with - and I don't mean this unkindly but for accuracy - a rather Quasimodo -ish face , and carrying a plastic shopping bag , crossing over from Tesco. Her angle of approach and the fact she was looking at me tipped me off she was about to ask for some kind of handout.

"Excuse me love.." ( here we go...spare some change no doubt)

"...could..." ( no, it'll be bus fare. She'll say she's lost her pass)

"....you.." ( ciggie, perhaps?)

"...buy me a box of pies?"

I've found the fastest way to get rid of beggars is to reply with "I was just about to ask you for a quid!" .. they soon clear off. More often than not, someone's spotted me having a smoke and asks "Have you got a spare fag?" .. then I reply (with loads in my pocket) "Sorry, I've just blagged this one from someone over there." .. if a beggar's really cheeky they'll sometimes reply with "Can I share that one with you?" .. then i agree, smoke it until there's one drag left, hand it to them with a big smile and a "There you go mate!".

Anybody heard of these guys before?
Twin brothers, both PhDs, royal lineage, far too much plastic surgery and links to lots of conspiracies!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_and_Grichka_Bogdanoff
They're a truly odd pair.

In the 1980's, they presented, Temps X, a SF program on Saturday afternoon on national French TV I liked watching. They talked about books, film, Science, both dressed in foil-like suits. They were younger and good looking, then.
http://www.lefigaro.fr/medias/2009/07/23/7a8ee6e8-7824-11de-a190-64a78ef49d65.jpg
Now, total weirdos.

Last edited:
Yesterday I sat in my favorite reading spot in a Rotterdam diner when I noticed that another visitor was almost spherical. I had seen him from the front when entering and noticed his size. But later I saw him from the back and was stunned. Most big people are just pear shaped not spherical.

Read the Sun newspaper once, a column by Frankie Boyle reported on a man whose height was the same as his circumference ie a human ball. His doctor warned him that unless he did something about his body shape he would be dead within months. The sad thing was that no matter what he tried or did, he just couldn't gain any height.

Read the Sun newspaper once, a column by Frankie Boyle reported on a man whose height was the same as his circumference ie a human ball. His doctor warned him that unless he did something about his body shape he would be dead within months. The sad thing was that no matter what he tried or did, he just couldn't gain any height.
Mr 5 by 5?

Zebra,

I have both series on my Tivo box.

I think I prefer 'The Young Moltanbano' to the series where he has aged.

A bit gory in places, but so is the reality in Sicily.

INT21.

Yesterday at the supermarket where my daughter works they were watching a woman who has shoplifted before.
She had her bag checked and continued out.
My daughter saw her running with a trolley and asked why she would do that.
Apparently the local Chinese have been limited to 2 cans of baby formula at a time that they send to China, leaving none for the locals.
However they have been coming in multiple times to buy another 2, leaving their trolleys outside, and this woman had taken off with one of their trolleys.
Now the odd part is that she was Australian, so wouldn't have had the connections to send it to China.

Yesterday at the supermarket where my daughter works they were watching a woman who has shoplifted before.
She had her bag checked and continued out.
My daughter saw her running with a trolley and asked why she would do that.
Apparently the local Chinese have been limited to 2 cans of baby formula at a time that they send to China, leaving none for the locals.
However they have been coming in multiple times to buy another 2, leaving their trolleys outside, and this woman had taken off with one of their trolleys.
Now the odd part is that she was Australian, so wouldn't have had the connections to send it to China.
I guess the stealing is just compulsive. She saw a trolley full of "stuff" and took it, never mind that there is nothing she can do with it. I bet she has a house filled with junk.

As this thread long since veered onto local 'characters', I'll chip in with twin sisters that I used to see about when I was in my early teens. Probably old, but hard to say. Identically dressed in voluminous clothes; slightly shabby. Headscarves on, hunched and with piping voices. As a kid I unkindly thought they looked like witches. Looking back, I think they had some personal problems. I mention it because it makes me realise how, in a less educated age, innocent but socially different people could be accused of witchcraft.

A bit uncouth drinking wine from a Pringles tin.

A Texas Walmart has banned a woman from their store for doing something we've all done at one time or another - riding around the parking lot in a mobility scooter while drinking wine from a Pringles can. Employees at the Wichita Falls Walmart said the woman had been riding around the parking lot for several hours, starting around 6:30 AM. Police responded to the call, locating the woman at a nearby restaurant and informing her that she had been banned from the store.

https://boingboing.net/2019/01/14/walmart-bans-woman-after-she-r.html

Back