• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The final episode of Enterprise was actually a holodeck simulation run by Riker. I guess they could do a similar thing with Picard and Discovery.

ST Discovery season 2 trailer:

Looks like they've found a sense of humour. Here's hoping it's as funny as Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

I don't know. It looks more like they might be going on some kind of quest for Burnham's foster brother.

Mostly started by "Old Baldy" (as Marina Sirtis lovingly calls him) himself. He's said he hasn't watched DISCO yet, but he might have a reason to do so shortly (wink).

I'd like to see the sit-com idea Marina Sirtis and Jonathan Frakes pitched a few years back.

I'm somewhat surprised to see that the rumours were true, although the nature of the series he will lead are unclear.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45074382

Patrick Stewart will bring a huge viewership, possibly dragging back casual fans who drifted away (me!) through the various post DS-9 and TNG era, but I'd love to see more of the whole crew, not just Picard. Like the Original Series, the core cast was all interesting and I was content to be led away from the bridge for a while to pursue more whimsical character-led episodes.

Cameos seem more likely than full-involvement, but popular culture has been wallowing in nostalgia for a good number of years now, so who knows what is possible?

I'm unashamed to admit that a Next Generation film or series has far more appeal to me than anything else they could turn out. I've given each new series a precursory viewing of at least an episode (and I watched the rebooted films), but I haven't stayed with any of them as the interpersonal dynamics among the main characters seemed to lack the requisite chemistry.

Sorry, not hardcore enough in my Trekdom.

DS-9 was the last Trek thing I got into much. Glad to see Picard will be back. They made some really good TNG movies, but that last stinker was hard to believe. A car chase? Really? They went there? Oy!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this new show. I watched one episode of Orville and liked it a lot. I used to wish Trek was more like that, instead of taking itself so seriously. I'd watch more than the Orville pilot if I didn't have to pay two bucks a pop. I'm cheap, I guess.

Looks like Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth are walking away from a new Star Trek movie over contract disputes. Presumably that includes the Tarantino "adult" version too? So the reboot film series may be at an end. Pity, they'd got quite a nice formula going with the third one, even if it didn't clean up at the box office.

Looks like Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth are walking away from a new Star Trek movie over contract disputes. Presumably that includes the Tarantino "adult" version too? So the reboot film series may be at an end. Pity, they'd got quite a nice formula going with the third one, even if it didn't clean up at the box office.
Guess they'll have to do another series reboot. Oh dear.

You know when Spock died in the radiation chamber in the old ST movie. I had a thought while watching Kirk go through the same thing. Why didn’t they transport him out and, seeing as they essentially rebuild the transportee, use earlier matter formation data held in the ship’s computer to restore without radiation poisoning?

You know when Spock died in the radiation chamber in the old ST movie. I had a thought while watching Kirk go through the same thing. Why didn’t they transport him out and, seeing as they essentially rebuild the transportee, use earlier matter formation data held in the ship’s computer to restore without radiation poisoning?
Exactly!

40803331_2267784953235813_3754345417261711360_n.jpg

Exhaust yourself with the Discovery Season 2 trailer:

That's about the size of it. But hipster Spock or evil Spock? Don't say "what's the difference?", that's not nice.

So glad Michelle's back.

And, not evil Spock. Evil Spock has a goatee, not a full beard. Goatees are the indicator of the mirror universe. Looks more like gap-year Spock to me.

Apparently the writing team for the as-yet-unnamed Picard series have been together for the last month. There are no real details available apart from the facts that a) the series will stand alone with no attempt to mesh or cross over with currently running series, b) there are expecting the concept to run for multiple seasons (to use the U.S. term).

Apparently the writing team for the as-yet-unnamed Picard series have been together for the last month. There are no real details available apart from the facts that a) the series will stand alone with no attempt to mesh or cross over with currently running series, b) there are expecting the concept to run for multiple seasons (to use the U.S. term).

Patrick Stewart's one of those blessed folks who make the world a little better, but he's also (hate to say it) getting on a bit now. Be better as a one-off series, I think.

I think it's just a reaction to Disney and their All Star Wars, All The Time policy.

I suppose if the movies are suffering diminishing returns, they're opting for a televisual universe instead. Across an actual universe.

They are not done yet. Now CBS are working on a Section 31 series. The secret police of Starfleet.

You left out the best bit. Starring Michelle Yeoh.

I couldn't stand The Orville. Wasn't funny enough to work as a sci-fi comedy à la Red Dwarf, didn't have the likeable characters of Firefly and certainly wasn't visionary enough to work as "real" sci-fi.

The "now the biting makes sense" M&Ms gag in the first episode was about as good as it got!

The 1st episode of S2 is pretty good, could be a parody of a STNG episode.

On the contrary, the first two episodes of S2 was a letdown. If I wanted stuff about relationships I'd watch soap operas.

On the contrary, the first two episodes of S2 was a letdown. If I wanted stuff about relationships I'd watch soap operas.

It depends on whether you enjoy parodies of the STNG soap opera stuff. I also enjoyed the reason for Bortus travelling home, literally taking the piss from the STOS episode Amok Time.

Sounds like a fun cruise, I'd love to go on one.

I've just returned home from Star Trek: The Cruise, a truly extraordinary fan event for lovers of Science, Science Fiction, and the future.

You really want to be on the next one.

Longtime Boing Boing friend Wil Wheaton headlined the third annual cruise, which this year featured stars from every series of Star Trek from The Next Generation onwards. They, along with thousands of die-hard Star Trek fans took over an entire cruise ship for a week (flying the flag of the United Federated of Planets no less), Taking part in everything from photo and autograph sessions, Science Lectures from experts in the fields of Astronomy and Astrophysics, Game Shows, Q&A sessions, and even a narrated performance of the Scopes Monkey Trial transcript.

But the real reason you should go isn't one of those events.

There's a unique culture behind Star Trek. Gene Roddenberry's optimistic vision of a utopian future attracts a certain type of fan, and there's something special about putting thousands of like-minded people and the actors who portrayed their most beloved Star Trek characters on a ship for a week. ...

https://boingboing.net/2019/01/14/why-you-definitely-want-to-be.html

Discovery's back, I've just been watching it. They've increased the humour, but overdone it a bit so it seems like they're not taking it seriously in places, Tilly is now a cartoon character for example. Not sure what all the Spock business at the end was about, but I'm sure all will be explained. Red shirt didn't die! They're clearly messing with us.

Back