• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Upcoming DC Comics Adaptations

I watched Justice League yesterday and must say it was rather meh. The villain was very generic and there was nothing about the fightscenes or dialogue which made you pay notice.
I'm starting to think that many DC Comics' characters are just inherently not very good or believable.

DCs heroes were always a bit too idealized. For this movie I think the villains lack of personality was the problem. The Justice League originally formed to fight Starro the Conquerer. Though the audience might have problems taking the movie seriously if people were walking around with starfish on their faces. Not that I'm judging, some of my best friends have starfish on their faces.

Aquaman in the comics have been longhaired and bearded for a while, as well as having a hook for a hand. I'm guessing they changed that, to avoid him looking like a wet Thor. Personally it's the Katy Perry-character I'm struggling with.

Last edited:
DC will be doing a Batwoman tv-show now. Can't say I have ever read any stories about her.

DC will be doing a Batwoman tv-show now. Can't say I have ever read any stories about her.

She's a gay superheroine, so they have Ruby Rose to play her, because she's gay. And she's an actress. But she's better known for screen beat 'em ups than her thespian skills, hence mass scepticism about her casting. She has a bit of a mountain to climb by taking this one on, I'd say. Mind you, if she can throw a convincing punch, what's the big deal?

Yes, I figured that was a big part of it. Still, it's a superhero show, not Shakespeare.

Now Ruby Rose has been hounded off the internet by trolls who objected to her casting in a role that 99.999999% of people had never heard of before the weekend. Either not a good enough actress, or not lesbian enough, or not butch enough, or some other spurious complaint. This obsession people on Twitter have with being amateur casting agents is getting out of hand.

Now Ruby Rose has been hounded off the internet by trolls who objected to her casting in a role that 99.999999% of people had never heard of before the weekend. Either not a good enough actress, or not lesbian enough, or not butch enough, or some other spurious complaint. This obsession people on Twitter have with being amateur casting agents is getting out of hand.
It's not as if it's even a real person she's portraying.

Looks like Henry Cavill's getting the boot from Superman, what a shame, because he was definitely, er, an actor who played Superman. I wonder if anyone can get slightly excited over the next Supes as they do about the next James Bond or Doctor Who?

Now Michael B. Jordan (Creed) is being posited as the new Superman. I'M SURE THE INTERNET WILL TAKE THAT VERY WELL. He's certainly proved himself capable of playing the hero.

The new DC streaming service started yesterday I believe.

I recently watched the Gotham by Gaslight cartoon. Unfortunately the only thing they kept from the comic is the name. It's not even set in London.

Well the Mobius Chair did tell Batman during the Darkseid War that there were actually three separate Jokers. This is being explored by Geoff Johns in an upcoming series.

There's probably been more than that on the Gotham TV show!

Advance word on Aquaman… surprisingly good. Here's the over the top trailer:

Frankly, DC heroes are painfully dull. A fact even DC realised when they put the villains to the fore in Suicide Squad.
I may not know much about the business but here’s an idea.
Marvel are all over this live CG superhero shit and the only way DC is going to stand out is by doing something different. Put the money into an incredble new animated experience based on the art talents of Alex Ross.

1544215238464.jpeg

Here we see the problem for DC. The static DC heroes vs the kinetic Marvel figures.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/04/03/marvel-dc-comics-characters-differences-alex-ross/

Spider-Man looks like he's about to be punched in the bollocks, though.

DC might be failing at the movies but their tv-shows have done quite well.

I bought the first box set of Green Arrow and couldn’t get past episode 2.
The Flash was on Freeview and I only watched two of them.
I got the box set of Stan Lee’s Lucky Man and loved that. So I don’t know what DC series I should be watching.

It looks like they’re floundering if you ask me. Which sounds like a job for Aquaman.

Watch Gotham - it's nuts. I hear Legends of Tomorrow is highly entertaining, but I never caught up with that. Supergirl has a big following (plus the lead seems like a good girl IRL).

Green Arrow feels like a soap opera but it has been going for 7 seasons.
I watch Flash and Legends myself.

Watch Gotham - it's nuts. I hear Legends of Tomorrow is highly entertaining, but I never caught up with that. Supergirl has a big following (plus the lead seems like a good girl IRL).

I’m getting on a bit. I’ve reached a decision not to waste too much time watching so-so TV series. Life’s getting too short to fill it with crap. I’ll even be giving Dr.Who the old heave-ho after the New Year one.

Back