• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Names Of Spirit Guides

DaveTiger

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Just a question I've been wondering about for the past couple decades or so. Do spirit guides, or angels, or entities have common names? I know that angels supposedly do, but what about other entities. Jane Roberts and Seth springs to mind. Anyone else have a spirit guide? And if so, what is their name?

Mine, though I'm unsure I buy it, is supposedly named Byam.

DT

Some friends I had way back used to see a popular medium of that time whose spirit guide was called Blue Mountain.

I used to rib them mercilessly about it.

BlackRiverFalls said:
Some friends I had way back used to see a popular medium of that time whose spirit guide was called Blue Mountain.

Well, at least it's a better name than 'Nescafe'. :)

But did they have a good Rappor with him?

Yes, I'll turn the light out on my way out.

I was told as a teenager (via ouija boards) that I had a guardian spirit called Dane. As absolutely every 'fact' we learned from 'Dane' turned out to be rubbish I soon lost interest.

However, the name Dane itself is faintly interesting as there's a river Dane near here which I don't remember knowing about back then. It's known locally by a different name. That's always stuck in my mind.

BlackRiverFalls said:

She must have been pretty laid back - a mellow bird.

Anyway, it's the medium law that if your spirit guide is speaking through you, you have to put on a funny voice. Ramtha is the best at this (the legs akimbo stance helps).

Too many mediums have American Indian "spirit guides" with impossibly bland names like "Silver Breeze" or "White Cloud."

If I ever hear that some medium has made contact with 'Johnny Two-Horse" I'll probably be forced to believe.

Yes, those American Indian names go way back to the rise of spiritualism and they may have represented some spirit-of-place or bad conscience or just the earliest history people could imagine there. The odd thing is the way they persisted when the craze spread over here and middle-aged ladies had to channel figures from a culture they knew mainly from travellers' tales and magazine stories.

The appeal may have come from the names as much as anything. Red Wing and Silver Feather etc. were a guarantee of other-worldly origin rather than authentic Indian names and served well enough to avoid issues of region or class that might have arisen from more familiar western names. Since few of the sitters would have encountered Native Americans, the strange voices were less likely to be questioned. It is possible that the rise in the familiarity with Red Indians in Western movies had some tendency to limit the number of mediums who were prepared to go into competition with professional actors or real ones on the silver screen.

That said, I have seen and heard, though not in the flesh, modern mediums who continue the tradition. It reminds me that the vogue for channelling Venusians was done with a straight face within living memory and even now continues in some of the backwaters of the Internet. Whether they are said to be angels, demons, spirit guides or familiars, all these personalities rejoice in strange names as a gateway to the alternate worlds they promise us. :shock:

OldTimeRadio said:
If I ever hear that some medium has made contact with 'Johnny Two-Horse" I'll probably be forced to believe.

Which reminds me of the Terry Pratchett spirit guide, Two Men Bucket ...

You're right - I do mean One Man Bucket. It was his brother that was Two Dogs ......

I don't know much about spirit guides but I do feel that I have some'one' sort of being connected to me, I just don't now who or what it is and therefore throughout the years I have given 'it' a lot of different names and looks and even included deceased family members as possible guides.
What seems a little stupid to me and actually puts me off a little is that those spirit guides are either native Americans :roll: or other such [careful sarcasm approaching] beautiful wise entities. First of all I don't think one bit that all native Americans were all wise. They might have known how to read nature but then again British farmers could do the same. Maybe they had some rituals that connected with the spirit world but so do mediums anywhere around the world. However people never have a Bobby Smalls or a Stacey Dobbins as their guides, no its always someone more grand.
I lump this in with people who were famous Pharaos in former lives or other famous people rather than a peasant [and I am more inclined to believe those that say they have been peasants before].
I think that some people just think it sounds cooler to have a spirit guide that is somewhat seen as wise and knowing rather than one that might actually be real.
I mean come on, there must be an awful lot of dead native Americans around with nothing better to do than to guide ancestors of those people who annihalated most of their race...seriously, I don't think so.

Hey! Hope it’s ok to revive this old thread.

It would seem relevant for me to admit, having read the discussion above regarding bland names such as Bobby Smalls, that I did one or twice dream that I had a guide named ......Gary.

In the dreams I was appalled by his name and didn’t even attempt to disguise it. He was a funny looking small man, with a similar outward appearance to Hercule Poirot. He was fond of sitting cross-legged on top of my wardrobe and had a tedious sense of humour!

So I have no idea if this is an actual spirit guide or just a fragment of my dreaming mind, but he hasn’t appeared since.

Perhaps he was offended!

Hey! Hope it’s ok to revive this old thread. It would seem relevant for me to admit, having read the discussion above regarding bland names such as Bobby Smalls, that I did one or twice dream that I had a guide named ......Gary. In the dreams I was appalled by his name and didn’t even attempt to disguise it. He was a funny looking small man, with a similar outward appearance to Hercule Poirot. He was fond of sitting cross-legged on top of my wardrobe and had a tedious sense of humour! So I have no idea if this is an actual spirit guide or just a fragment of my dreaming mind, but he hasn’t appeared since. Perhaps he was offended!

According to Iamblicus, your spirit guides are what the ancients called "daimons". If the term sounds like demons, that is no accident, as the Christians literally demonized them. Admittedly, some daimons were good and some were not, and some were even evil. The related notion of "guardian angels" is a much later notion, that emerged out of fringe Christianity, but would have been considered heresy by the various Churches, as it has all the flavor and trappings of the re-emergence of daimons by another name. It is interesting how culturally widespread this belief system is. In fact, it is all but universal as far as I am aware, by which I mean that while not everyone in a given culture will believe it, pretty much all cultures had a tradition embracing the idea of a personal spirit ally of some sort, and generally tied to the dominant belief system.

Hey! Hope it’s ok to revive this old thread.

It would seem relevant for me to admit, having read the discussion above regarding bland names such as Bobby Smalls, that I did one or twice dream that I had a guide named ......Gary.

In the dreams I was appalled by his name and didn’t even attempt to disguise it. He was a funny looking small man, with a similar outward appearance to Hercule Poirot. He was fond of sitting cross-legged on top of my wardrobe and had a tedious sense of humour!

So I have no idea if this is an actual spirit guide or just a fragment of my dreaming mind, but he hasn’t appeared since.

Perhaps he was offended!
I mentioned in another thread that several years ago I dreamed many times of the same apparently twenty something female who I did not know and in fact did not even resemble anyone I knew. Finally a medium I knew told me to ask her name and purpose next time she appeared. Weirdly I did and the response was "just call me Debbie and I'm here to look out for you". Never "saw" her again. Thought it a strange name for an apparent guardian angel, and like you wondered whether there was more to it or just a figment of my strange dreams.

Back