• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Stories Of People Living Different Lives Whilst Unconscious?

Enid Coleslaw

Devoted Cultist
I just found this interesting comment on Reddit, and I was wondering if any of you had heard of anything similar? I plan to look into it further when I have more time, so if anyone could pint me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/...deep_personal_connection_to/c3g4ot3?context=3

throw away account cause this is really personal.

My last semester at a certain college I was assulted by a football player for walking where he was trying to drive (note he was 325lbs I was 120lbs), while unconscious on the ground I lived a different life.

I met a wonderful young lady, she made my heart skip and my face red, I pursued her for months and dispatched a few jerk boyfriends before I finally won her over, after two years we got married and almost immediately she bore me a daughter.

I had a great job and my wife didn't have to work outside of the house, when my daughter was two she [my wife] bore me a son. My son was the joy of my life, I would walk into his room every morning before I left for work and doted on him and my daughter.

One day while sitting on the couch I noticed that the perspective of the lamp was odd, like inverted. It was still in 3D but... just.. wrong. (It was a square lamp base, red with gold trim on 4 legs and a white square shade). I was transfixed, I couldn't look away from it. I stayed up all night staring at it, the next morning I didn't go to work, something was just not right about that lamp.

I stopped eating, I left the couch only to use the bathroom at first, soon I stopped that too as I wasn't eating or drinking. I stared at the fucking lamp for 3 days before my wife got really worried, she had someone come and try to talk to me, by this time my cognizance was breaking up and my wife was freaking out. She took the kids to her mother's house just before I had my epiphany.... the lamp is not real.... the house is not real, my wife, my kids... none of that is real... the last 10 years of my life are not fucking real!

The lamp started to grow wider and deeper, it was still inverted dimensions, it took up my entire perspective and all I could see was red, I heard voices, screams, all kinds of weird noises and I became aware of pain.... a fucking shit ton of pain... the first words I said were "I'm missing teeth" and opened my eyes. I was laying on my back on the sidewalk surrounded by people that I didn't know, lots were freaking out, I was completely confused.

at some point a cop scooped me up, dragged/walked me across the sidewalk and grass and threw me face down in the back of a cop car, I was still confused.

I was taken to the hospital by the cop (seems he didn't want to wait for the ambulance to arrive) and give CT scans and shit..

I went through about 3 years of horrid depression, I was grieving the loss of my wife and children and dealing with the knowledge that they never existed, I was scared that I was going insane as I would cry myself to sleep hoping I would see her in my dreams. I never have, but sometimes I see my son, usually just a glimpse out of my peripheral vision, he is perpetually 5 years old and I can never hear what he says.

EDIT (24 hours after post): never though anyone would read this, I changed a line so that it no longer seems that my 2 year old daughter bore a child.

I have never seen Inception or the Star Trek episode so many have mentioned (but I will eventually)

I will not do an AMA

I've had many PM's describing similar experiences and 3 posters stating such experiences are impossible, I'd say more research needs to be done on brain functions. Pre-med students, don't assume you know everything.

A few have asked if they can write a book/screen play/stage play/rage comic etcetera, please consider this tale open source and have fun with it

I wonder if somewhere, another young man experienced 10 years' unconciousness compressed into a few minutes?

The OP doesn't state if he was the 'same person' or in another body. Fascinating narrative!

I also wonder if he wandered into one of his own 'sliding doors' alternative timelines?

Even before I got to the relevant part of the tale, I was thinking of that Star Trek TNG episode, where Picard lives a whole life in mere hours. I've sometimes woken with a sense of great loss after a particularly vivid dream, but nothing on this scale. Sad, and disturbing.

Who was it who wrote a book about experiencing lives on other planes while in a trance? It was featured in the FT at least once.

As I recall, he named them Plane A, Plane B, etc. It wasn't the usual New Age guff - his lives on the other planes were pretty mundane.

Who was it who wrote a book about experiencing lives on other planes while in a trance? It was featured in the FT at least once.

As I recall, he named them Plane A, Plane B, etc. It wasn't the usual New Age guff - his lives on the other planes were pretty mundane.

This sounds interesting, if anyone can remember any more details, I'd really appreciate it.

I can't find my copy to hand but Dreamer by Andrew Paquette, an artist who reports precognitive dream experiences...but far, far more: oobes, visiting the afterlife, etc all in his sleep...includes his whole future life being lived out in a single night's dream. That is years passing by, much like Picard on Star Trek.

I'm sure that story has been posted somewhere here before!

To the question on the Reddit thread, which prompted the story "Have you ever felt a deep personal connection to a person you met in a dream only to wake up feeling terrible when you realise they never existed".....

I've had an experience very similar to the one in the question and it had an interesting (if disappointing) outcome.

I reported on these boards last March a successful dream precognition prediction about a trip with a group of friends to Oxford. I omitted at the time that I'd had another, earlier, precog - it turned out - about the same trip.

I'll omit all the extraneous detail which identified it as relating to that trip and that day and simply concentrate on the fact it involved turning to shake hands with a young man with dark brown eyes, an important fact as what made the dream stand out is that he stared straight into my eyes, and my dreaming mind saw it from that perspective, felt that experience of being looked straight at, which was , as far as I know, unique for me. Waking, it startled and stayed with me. Added to this was the sense in the dream that he was looking at me with a combination of being pleased to see me, but also surprised and confused..as in what was I doing here? Like he knew me from some other time and place, though nothing was said.

When I woke I commented on it online, fancifully- facetiously - wondering aloud if, as in a Hollywood movie - this other person was out there in the real world and had a strange dream about meeting me. I didn't mean this seriously but its what would be the case in a movie.

Only after the day trip to Oxford 3 months later did it hit me that the details of the dream generally matched that day....and that the Brown Eyed Boy (B.E.B.) was a long time online acquaintance who I'd not met in person before but who now joined us as he lived in Oxford. An Asian friend with obviously brown but also very striking eyes. Here's where it gets interesting..all of the facial reactions and sentiments I described as belonging to him in the dream - delight, overwhelming recognition, bewilderment - in real life actually belonged to ME. I looked at him that way as his demeanor and mannerisms were SO like those of a previously close friend I hadn't seen for several years that not only did I think it but two other people pointed it out to me independently. This was an intriguing twist..but also, oddly, disappointing, because the original dream was reduced to having no great importance whatsoever. It was precognitive, but I'm used to that...there was no meaning to it, in terms of lives lived in some other world or what have you.

But there was a quite striking further twist. I later looked back at dream records prior to the trip, but post the B.E.B dream. And on one particular night I had gone to sleep, still intrigued by my earlier dream encounter, willing myself to dream the identity of the mysterious B.E.B. According to my notes I did make mention of him in my dream recording that night. I recounted I'd dreamed of a real life acquaintance I once had who, I remembered, I'd had an accidental encounter with in which he looked startled and confused to see me. Ah, I thought as I woke, was that forgotten incident what inspired the dream (remember this is before I went to oxford and found the real inspiration). On the transcript I referred to this past acquaintance as Nav. Only reading it back these months later I realised that didn't sound right and checking confirmed he was actually called Naz. So? Only this. The real, future, Brown Eyed Boy's name was....Nav. I hadn't even noticed.

I realise how confusing that is, so let me summarise it while you join me in scratchign our heads. 1) In December I have a dream about an encounter with a familiar stranger whose identity intrigues me. 2) In March I have a real life experience which precisely fits this earlier dream and involving a man called Nav. 3) In between these two events,in January, I had had but forgotten about a second dream where, on demand, my brain recalled a different real life encounter in teh distant past which matched the behaviour in the first dream and involved a person with a name so similar to Nav that I mistakenly referred to him as such on tape.

I've no idea what to make of any of that.

There is a old classic sci-fi book on this topic - the 'hero' is actually in prison but in his dreams he's an interplanetary explorer or some such - Star Rover? Star Trader? I haven't read sci-fi for decades since it all became mostly swords and sorcery. So I can't remember more than that.

Also, isn't this the basic premise of the (long and incredibly tedious) Thomas Covenant saga? Which were in fact the books that made me give up sci-fi and start dating women.

There is a old classic sci-fi book on this topic - the 'hero' is actually in prison but in his dreams he's an interplanetary explorer or some such - Star Rover? Star Trader? I haven't read sci-fi for decades since it all became mostly swords and sorcery. So I can't remember more than that.

Also, isn't this the basic premise of the (long and incredibly tedious) Thomas Covenant saga? Which were in fact the books that made me give up sci-fi and start dating women.

The Star-Rover by Jack London.

http://www.freeclassicebooks.com/London Jack/The Jacket _The Star Rover_.pdf

Inspirational books indeed, that taught you chat up lines and dating techniques.

I loved the Thomas Covenant books ... all 6 of them .... much better than Lord of the rings etc ... that Lord Foul hey ... what a bastard

Edit...

Seems Stephen Donaldson found his pen again in 2004 and wrote 4 more so there are 10 of them ... how exciting I have 4 new books to read ... I read the original 6 back in the 90s so I will probably find them not very interesting 20 years later still worth a go

There's an episode of the original Twilight Zone called Shadow Play. It involves a man on death row trying in vain to persuade the people around him that they are just part of the same recurring dream he has every single night, and when they execute him they will all cease to exist.....

I loved the Thomas Covenant books ... all 6 of them .... much better than Lord of the rings etc ... that Lord Foul hey ... what a bastard

Edit...

Seems Stephen Donaldson found his pen again in 2004 and wrote 4 more so there are 10 of them ... how exciting I have 4 new books to read ... I read the original 6 back in the 90s so I will probably find them not very interesting 20 years later still worth a go

We're all different :) I like LOTR but found Thomas Covenant so utterly miserable I was longing for someone to kill the b*****d off. The first three were literally the last SF/fantasy novels I read properly, back about 1979, until someone recently persuaded me to take an interest in George R. R. Martin. I did dip into a part of a friends 5th volume of Covenant to see if it had got any more to my taste - 'fraid not.

I frequently have dreams that take place within a coherent world, very similar to ours, I recognise bits of my home town but there are other parts which are "added on" and only exist in my dreams. I seem to be a fairly solitary figure in this world, I only rarely interact with the inhabitants, although on one occasion I was acting as "hired muscle" and attacked some people with a metal bar :-0

I call it the dark world because it always seems to be night when I'm there.

I frequently have dreams that take place within a coherent world, very similar to ours, I recognise bits of my home town but there are other parts which are "added on" and only exist in my dreams. I seem to be a fairly solitary figure in this world, I only rarely interact with the inhabitants, although on one occasion I was acting as "hired muscle" and attacked some people with a metal bar :-0

I call it the dark world because it always seems to be night when I'm there.
Mouldy, I too have recurring dreams that seem to take place in a specific location- usually they happen when i am unwell or excessivly tired. House seems to be a private lodging house or hotel, possibly in the West country near the sea- sometimes I can "smell" the sea and the light is like the Seaside ( I know I don't explain that well). I seem to be always engaged in heavy domestic work- lugging baskets of wet sheets up steps, polishing candlesticks, top and tailing gooseberries. I seem to have a double life as an early 20th century drudge, TBH it is quite a reilef to wake up.

Edit...

I don't think they've aged very well the Covenant books.

There's an episode of the original Twilight Zone called Shadow Play. It involves a man on death row trying in vain to persuade the people around him that they are just part of the same recurring dream he has every single night, and when they execute him they will all cease to exist.....

Yes, and there's another where criminals can be sent into a short coma in which they dream that they're serving long sentences. They wake up next day suitably chastened.

Someone is subjected to the punishment and serves a life sentence for murder. When he wakes up we find that it's been a mistake. So he's done all that bird for nothing, but he still has his normal life to go back to.

There's a grim Stephen King story called The Jaunt, where people have to be put to sleep before being sent through a space-loop short-cut to other planets. If you're not asleep you briefly experience the whole of eternity and it sends you mad. What could go wrong?

One may also remember the astounding 1890 story 'An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge' by Ambrose Bierce, which continues to influence artists.
I won't describe it because it's such a great read. If you haven't read it give it a go, and then think of all the times you've come across the same central conceit without knowing it. Terry Gilliam's Brazil? TV's Life On Mars and, yes, Holby City? Mind-blowing. All the previously-mentioned yarns derive from it.

Go on, read it.

I just found this interesting comment on Reddit, and I was wondering if any of you had heard of anything similar? I plan to look into it further when I have more time, so if anyone could pint me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/...deep_personal_connection_to/c3g4ot3?context=3
U guys have frl never done this ? Me and my buddies do it all the time but it’s incredibly dangerous; basically u get a friend and have him bear hug u til u pass out. You’ll stay unconscious for a few minutes wherein you’ll lead a completely different life birth to death or shorter if u get woken up, but the trippiest parts are that when u wake up for about a minute you’ll have complete amnesia about everything, even ur real life and when it comes back u remember EVERYTHING I stopped because one of my “lives” I was literally murdered by my best friend.

U guys have frl never done this ? Me and my buddies do it all the time but it’s incredibly dangerous; basically u get a friend and have him bear hug u til u pass out. You’ll stay unconscious for a few minutes wherein you’ll lead a completely different life birth to death or shorter if u get woken up, but the trippiest parts are that when u wake up for about a minute you’ll have complete amnesia about everything, even ur real life and when it comes back u remember EVERYTHING I stopped because one of my “lives” I was literally murdered by my best friend.
Risky.

Ah, one of my favourite reads on Reddit. :nods:

Mouldy, I too have recurring dreams that seem to take place in a specific location- usually they happen when i am unwell or excessivly tired. House seems to be a private lodging house or hotel, possibly in the West country near the sea- sometimes I can "smell" the sea and the light is like the Seaside ( I know I don't explain that well).

Can I just say, I know exactly what you mean. There's a certain unique light that only occurs near the coast, it's lovely.

I've never done it myself but I remember watching some lads in Tamworth doing something similar at a party .. they'd crouch down with their back to a wall, take a huge toke on a bong, stand up quickly and another lad would push on their chest until they buckled. I couldn't see the attraction myself.

there's a Buffy episode like this - turns out the whole series has been going on in the head of a catatonic Buffy in a psychiatric institution. She wakes to reality briefly, but goes back under to save her friends as she isn't sure which reality is the illusion

there's a Buffy episode like this - turns out the whole series has been going on in the head of a catatonic Buffy in a psychiatric institution. She wakes to reality briefly, but goes back under to save her friends as she isn't sure which reality is the illusion
Long before that show, the popular medical drama St Elsewhere, which ran for many years and involved any number of adult relationship story lines etc, concluded in its final episode with the ridiculous and random turn of events that everything we had seen over the past years had all just been in the daydreaming mind of an autistic child.

Then of course we have a whole season or two of Dallas being a dream Bobby Ewing was having while in the shower.

Apologies for the very late response.... Fairly new to this wonderful site.... What an amazing and tragic experience.... I don't doubt your validity one bit.
It reminds me of a video I saw today on Paranormal Rising entitled Glitches Times lips and Parallel Universes #1. It detailed a man who had a brain aneurysm in 2020 and was in a coma... When he awoke he could remember his entire life from birth in 1961 up until 2010 in perfect detail. He could not remember anything from the last decade up until 2020 though. He did not remember his daughter had a child and that he was a grandfather. Strangely and tragically he asked where his son Duncan was.... He had another son older than Duncan but he didn't remember that tragically Duncan died at only 5 weeks old... When he was gently reminded of this terrible thing, he protested and refused to believe it. He was forced to grieve again for his boy. He could recall Duncan's entire life in detail. Duncan excelled at hockey, he wanted to be a fire fighter after leaving school... He was involved in some military activity.... None of which were anything like his surviving sons life. In fact 2020 Duncan would have been 17 years old and he remembered going with him to get his first used car... All his family were freaked out about his revelations and wondered where this had come from? Did he go to a parallel universe to live out another life with his other son? Was it something to do with the aneurysm and the effect on his brain....? Why was the last decade a complete blank when the first 49 years were accurately recalled. It was fascinating and tragic

Back