• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Are The Most Impressive UFO Cases?

Relating to Bigfoot sightings, when it comes to hunters, I think they're more competent to assess what they saw.
People in ape suits ? Likely, it happens sometimes, and maybe a few alien cases can also be explained this way. But is it realistic to think they're more than marginal ?

Loosely following this thread and I have to say that I broadly agree with your position, however the analogy with Bigfoot mentioned above is a cautionary example illustrating how a well attested multiple witness phenomena can be purely without any basis in reality.

Excellent posts, eburacum. Some people will argue until they are blue in the face, against facts. We've seen this on the atheist thread. ;)

oldrover said:
Loosely following this thread and I have to say that I broadly agree with your position, however the analogy with Bigfoot mentioned above is a cautionary example illustrating how a well attested multiple witness phenomena can be purely without any basis in reality.

That is true, if we suppose that they are flesh and blood animals. In my opinion, they're more akin to ghosts, fairies and the so-called 'aliens'.

Thing is its impossible for me not to see both UFOs and Bigfoot's origins as being purely cultural, as there's hardly anything in either of them pre 1940's compared to their volume afterwards. In both cases they only start being seen regularly after its widely publicised that other people have seen them first, people report UFOs as saucers after the that's what the press told them to look out for, based in the first place on a corruption/misunderstanding of what Arnold said, yet still that's what people began to report seeing, it would be some coincidence that after the term flying disc/saucer is wrongly used saucer shape craft suddenly show up. Same with Bigfoot, after the Yeti hype of the 50's people suddenly start seeing more or less the same thing in the US. The damning point is that in both cases there is very little if any reports of either from earlier periods, of course there have been strange reports similar to both, but nothing to the volume that begin to appear after they've been popularised in the press.

The major difference to me though is that while the UFO phenomena definitely does begin in the 1940's, its also the time when aerospace development really explodes. This is likely to explain many of the sightings, a good example is the Avro Vulcan, which was flown over Northern England, even over urban areas prior to its existence being revealed to the public, prompting reports from those areas of large triangular UFOs, proving that eye witnesses while not being infallible are indeed capable of both identifying something strange, able to determine its shape and provide a reasonably accurate description of what they've seen.

oldrover said:
The major difference to me though is that while the UFO phenomena definitely does begin in the 1940's, its also the time when aerospace development really explodes...
But it's also the time that the human population explodes...
In his lengthy career, Sir David [Attenborough] has watched the human population more than double from 2.5 billion in 1950 to nearly seven billion.

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39958
So, more people, more sightings...

But it's also the time that the human population explodes...

So, more people, more sightings...

True. Though its also the beginning of the cold war, the jet age, the space age and the zenith of the 'B' picture. 'Watch the skies'.

oldrover said:
...a good example is the Avro Vulcan, which was flown over Northern England, even over urban areas prior to its existence being revealed to the public, prompting reports from those areas of large triangular UFOs.
Observers looking at the Vulcan would have had the advantage of looking at an object which was plane-sized, and at the correct distance for such an object. They were not, therefore, subject to any illusions of scale, so they had more chance of describing the craft correctly.

Note as well that the Vulcan was flying for less than a year before it was announced; not very long for a 'black project'. There are rumours of black projects that have gone unannounced for decades- but it seems likely to me that these are nothing more than that, rumours.

I don't mean to sound rude but are you seriously suggesting that there are no black projects in the air, no new aircraft in development, that they've stopped where they are and that's as far as they intend to go, I'm sorry I find that idea as implausible as alien craft.

I don't know, but don't imagine the Vulcan was meant to be secret for very long after all it was part of the cold war nuclear deterrent, and therefore had to be known to be effective, this is not the case with reconnaissance aircraft which may be secret for far longer, though admittedly the U2 only stayed secret for 4 years.

As regards the size and altitude of the Vulcan, that's obviously correct, however if the whole thing had been cancelled and the plane had never been mass produced and widely known, would people tend to de-construct what the witnesses saw and offer alternative explanations, based on illusion and misidentification.

I don't deny that black projects exist; I do deny that they exist for decades without being uncovered. The Aurora, for instance, has been 'under development' since the 1980's, but has been (allegedly) seen repeatedly.
http://tiny.cc/ecyqa
I suggest that most or all of these sightings have been spurious.

I don't have an opinion on the Aurora one way or the other, but I can't see why a high level reconnaissance aircraft, produced in small numbers would become public unless by design.

By the way, I've read this thread a little more carefully recently and the link you posted to the Robert Taylor incident is very convincing, as far as I'm concerned that's one of the two genuinely weird cases solved, just the Zamora case to go.

We may still not know exactly what happened at Roswell in July of 1947 but, if the consensus is that nothing truly anomalous occurred, I'm more than happy to move on. The ongoing Roswell sideshow has consumed a lot of time and effort that might have been applied to other cases. The unfortunate thing is that the truly compelling cases are now all decades old.

What are some cases that you think are 'truly compelling'...? It might be interesting to explore those a bit.

A personal favorite of mine is the 1957 Levelland, Texas incident. It had multiple credible witnesses who reported actual objects on the ground and EM effects... but not sure what you can do with the case 61 years after the fact.

I still like Socorro too, even after recent, inane attempts to debunk it as a college prank.

One that hasn't been talked to death that I think is interesting is the Roaring River, Missouri case from 1966. Multiple witnesses, physical effects, and photos.

http://www.ufocasebook.com/roaringriver.html

This was one that Ted Phillips investigated back in the day. He probably still has a box full of evidence in his basement that he collected at the site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are all interesting cases......Socorro seems the most interesting to me because of Zamora's testimony as a police officer watching the event unfold as the two 'pilots' apparently 'worked' on the craft in the gully. But what's up with the flame rocket type power when it took off? Are space aliens that primitive? Does that make sense?
The other two are also well documented with pics and plenty of witnesses. The Roaring River case is odd in the sense that ..why would an alien ship simply blast their tent area? For the fun of it? High strangeness indeed.
And the Levelland case is similar in that it's almost as if these 'craft' wish to be seen and make an appearance. Why not remain somewhat in the background and do their exploring or whatever away from human eyes?
What's their intent? Are they putting on a show for us..?

Socorro is also one of my favourite cases. It fired up my interest as a kid.
Another case is the alien and craft in the French lavender field. Can't remember the name, etc.

Socorro is also one of my favourite cases. It fired up my interest as a kid.
Another case is the alien and craft in the French lavender field. Can't remember the name, etc.

Wasn't that the one shaped like a Tic-Tac?

The Valensole case..
http://www.ufoevidence.org/Cases/CaseSubarticle.asp?ID=147

Summary: This case, which Jacques Vallee described as, "the best-authenticated close encounter incident in continental Europe", includes not only hard traces, botanical data and physiological data, but detailed descriptions of beings associated with the UFO. It came to be known as ‘The Valensole Case’. Not only is it one of the most thoroughly investigated close encounters on record, but examination by French government agencies began on the day of the event.

There's another ufo event in the 60's I believe that Vallee recounts in one of his books where an alien lands in a field and when approached by the farmer (Belgian?) ask the farmer what time it is. When told the time he says you are wrong..gets back in the ufo and leaves.
One of my favorite bizarre cases. I can't recall the exact name of that one.

Last edited:
That's the one!

I like this bit;
The calcium content of the soil at the landing site was found to be much higher than in samples taken from other areas in the field.
Aha! Evidence!
Nope; actually it is cherrypicking.
This reminds me of this XKCD cartoon.
significant.png

How many elements did they have to go through to find a significant coincentration?

To me the calcium content is not important at all....the other evidence is overwhelming that an event occurred.
The burnt area, the witness testimony, and his medical related issues are more than enough to conclude that something weird happened.

The Joe Simonton case (Minnesota USA) is also a very strange one.
A saucer hovers near a farmers house.....and 3 strange swarthy/asian looking aliens poke their heads out and offer him little pancakes....and he gives them water in a pitcher they provided. Who makes up a story like that...?

...Who makes up a story like that...?...

Joe Simonton ?

Stevenville is my current most interesting report.

INT21

For whatever reason, I don't find Stevensville compelling at all. In the 21st century, you don't have football-field size UFOs without a single credible photo.

Doc, as for high strangeness, I still like the 1965 Jerry Townsend case in which he says he encountered a landed rocketship with little robots the size of beer cans. Again, why would people make up such a bizarre story?

Some p
For whatever reason, I don't find Stevensville compelling at all. In the 21st century, you don't have football-field size UFOs without a single credible photo.

Doc, as for high strangeness, I still like the 1965 Jerry Townsend case in which he says he encountered a landed rocketship with little robots the size of beer cans. Again, why would people make up such a bizarre story?

Some people seem to believe almost anything, nothing surprises me here. They will also do or say anything to get attention.

That reminds me of a Scottish case. A forestry worker saw a UFO and was attacked by 2 strange, foul smelling robots. He actually sustained injuries. Can't remember the name of that one - but it's fairly convincing.

These smelly robots and beer-can robots remind me of Terence McKenna's experiences with DMT, a psychoactive drug. We've got a thread about it somewhere. The apparent fact that a particular drug can liberate very specific, robot-like hallucinations suggests to me that there is a capacity inside the human mind that is preprogrammed with machine-like imagery, maybe a kind of fractal phenomenon. Maybe this sort of hallucination can be induced in an undrugged mind (assuming these witnesses were indeed, drug-free).

I'll have to look that one up and reread it......yes, who makes up a tale like that?
Of course the doubting Thomas' will say ...anyone who wants attention.
;)

I also recall a case where a hunter/camper hid up a tree in the woods to avoid some weird 'aliens' who then tried to bring him down by blowing gas at him while he sat in the tree.
He described the 'alien' more like a robot machine than an actual being.
And there was the Stephen Michaelik case ....a fair amount of physical evidence as well as eyewitness testimony.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/falcon-lake-incident-book-anniversary-1.4121639

Last edited:
Back