• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Animation

Animated Batman at it's finest - you haven't lived until you've seen Alfred twerking.

Hotel Transylvania 3: A Monster Vacation: Opens on a pre WW1 train on the way to Budapest, the monsters are in disguise but Professor Van Helsing boards their carriage and a battle ensues which continues in other skirmishes over the decades between Count Dracula and Van Helsing.

Back to the present day and the monster staff decide its time for a holiday. The depart on Gremlin Air (possibly based on Ryanair), a broken down prop-plane delivers them to the Devils Triangle where they embark on a Monster Cruise with stops including Atlantis.

Great imagery with a truly funny Cthuhluesque creature, a DJ fight and fish servants. Dracula falls for the cruise ship's captain but there are secrets onboard. 8/10

Looking forward to this.

stubby.jpg

Irish investors have raised €3m to finance a cartoon movie that depicts the real life story of a dog who became a sergeant in the US army in World War I.

Named 'Sgt Stubby: An Unlikely Hero,' big names such as Helena Bonham Carter and Gerard Depardieu are involved in the project.

The story is based a plucky Boston Terrier who served for 18 months and participated in seventeen battles with the US 102nd Infantry Division. As well as being a mascot, he was able to detect gas attacks before they hit. In one early morning incident, he roused sleeping soldiers by running through the trenches barking and nipping at them, according to the Smithsonian Institute.

He located wounded men between the trenches on no man's land, barking until medical help arrived.

The idea to make a film about Stubby was that of businessman-turned-historical filmmaker Richard Lanni.

Mr Lanni, who is based in Cork and France, was the founder of Fun Academy Media Group.

Stubby%20Image%203.jpg

https://www.independent.ie/entertai...dog-who-became-us-army-sergeant-37187240.html

Mel Blank - The Man Of A Thousand Voices

I knew he was the voice of Bugs Bunny and all the Warner Brothers cartoon characters, I didn't realise that he was also Captain Caveman and Secret Squirrel amongst others .. or that he survived a car accident against a thousand and one odds with his doctor getting Mel to talk in his character's voices while he was still barely conscious .. what a legend ..

UK Animation fans! There's an evening devoted to the subject on BBC Four, Sunday starting at 8, but the centrepiece is a documentary produced in conjunction with the BFI at 9, all about the history of UK animation, followed at 10 by an hour and three quarters of the latest toons. Sounds great!

UK Animation fans! There's an evening devoted to the subject on BBC Four, Sunday starting at 8, but the centrepiece is a documentary produced in conjunction with the BFI at 9, all about the history of UK animation, followed at 10 by an hour and three quarters of the latest toons. Sounds great!
The documentary was very good, fascinating in fact. I've recorded the other animations for this evening.

Mel Blank - The Man Of A Thousand Voices

I recently had to do an observed lesson on Shelley's Ozymandias, of all things! As a starter, there was a brisk look at epitaphs and the way people have wanted to be remembered. Here is le tombeau de Mel Blanc:

BlancTomb.jpg

I had hoped there would be a glimmer of recognition, when I started to mention some familiar cartoon characters, such as Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck etc. But no, they meant nothing to that particular class of 12 year-olds! Typical now? :dunno:

The documentary was very good, fascinating in fact. I've recorded the other animations for this evening.

It was excellent, I could have done with a series, though, there's so much they could have mentioned. What they did was great, mind you. Loved one animator's observation that someone can devote their life to animation and at the end of their career they've made... four films (!).

As for the new stuff, bit of a mixed bag but all worthwhile. Liked the Sleeping one (nicely moody in a lucid dreaming way), the Hair one (can honestly say I've never seen that plot used before) and the last one about the love slug was one of the weirdest things I've seen all year.

No Arks, a 1960s cartoon about Noah:

It's not what you think - watch it to the end.

Minions: The Rise of Gru: it's 1978 and Gru (age 11 3/4 ) with the help of the minions is up to all sorts of minor dastardly deeds but he has ambitions. Noticing that the Supervillain group the Vicious 6 have a vacancy he sets his sights on joining. Many mishaps occur, helped along by the incompetent minions. Great fun with many movie reference, I loved Michelle Yeoh voicing a Kung Fu guru and also a nice homage to the Moon clipper sequence from 2001. Excellent choice of music including All The Young Dudes when Gru assembles with the Minions and Bang Bang over a James Bond style opening credits. Directed by Kyle Balda, with Brad Ableson and Jonathan del Val as co-director from a Screenplay by Matthew Foge. 8/10.

In cinemas,

Minions: The Rise of Gru: it's 1978 and Gru (age 11 3/4 ) with the help of the minions is up to all sorts of minor dastardly deeds but he has ambitions. Noticing that the Supervillain group the Vicious 6 have a vacancy he sets his sights on joining. Many mishaps occur, helped along by the incompetent minions. Great fun with many movie reference, I loved Michelle Yeoh voicing a Kung Fu guru and also a nice homage to the Moon clipper sequence from 2001. Excellent choice of music including All The Young Dudes when Gru assembles with the Minions and Bang Bang over a James Bond style opening credits. Directed by Kyle Balda, with Brad Ableson and Jonathan del Val as co-director from a Screenplay by Matthew Foge. 8/10.

In cinemas,
I know all the fancy hifalutin' filum critics HATE the minions but they genuinely make me helpless with laughter, like being a 6 year old again. So IMHO long may they ... banana.

I recently had to do an observed lesson on Shelley's Ozymandias, of all things! As a starter, there was a brisk look at epitaphs and the way people have wanted to be remembered. Here is le tombeau de Mel Blanc:

View attachment 13407

I had hoped there would be a glimmer of recognition, when I started to mention some familiar cartoon characters, such as Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck etc. But no, they meant nothing to that particular class of 12 year-olds! Typical now? :dunno:
Wow. Sorry I didn't see this before, especially now that I know these are clueless 15-16 year olds! I suppose the belief that too many of those cartoons are violent and/or racist has led to them being harder to see - even as spinoffs and weak revivals of the characters are still being presented to the public.

Anyone who experiences such blank stare reactions to any of the Warner Brothers pantheon must immediately make it their mission to expose such uninformed youths to the unexpurgated originals (leaving out any truly violent or racist examples using your own good judgment). It would be wise to secure the multi-volume Looney Tunes Golden Collection on DVD for this purpose.

The Looney Toons are 80ish years old, they were still playing on TV when I was a kid in the 80s but entertainment, including children's, has massively expanded since then. I'm not surprised that kids today haven't heard of them. I was very surprised when Space Jam was made in 96 and even more so that it was successful - though I think it was more successful in marketing terms than actually loved - the merch and auxiliary stuff like the soundtrack(!) was bigger than the movie.

A follow up came out last year and went straight to streaming, I think it would have done poorly or bombed at the box office. It seemed to be more about advertising WB's streaming services - they visit "worlds" based on WB IP.

It's not new material (2004) but point at this work, Cause think that is a true English language childs tale masterpiece. And more notorious on a culture that have build masterpieces on that genre as Peter Pan or The Wizard of Oz. Well, i think that this work plays in the same league that the other two titles. Is an animation film called Over the Garden Wall, an American animated television miniseries created by Patrick McHale for Cartoon Network. As been released on tv yet, if you realize in reality is a film, maybe for cinema cause all the 10 chaptersmake an standard 90 minutes film duration, but was released as a tv miniserie.
With a dramatic aproach that is very far from the style of tv toons of his time. And I'm sure that very fond on the tastes of the fortean forum readers.
Think that cant be seen still on hulu. And many other online sites.

Note: tome of the unknown is a separate piece from Over the garden Wall narration. Was created with the same characters as a test to show to the producers the style ( very strange). Over the Garden Wall all is a coherent narration that works as a unity.

In cinemas,

Good Grief!

The latest movie in the Despicable Me franchise premiered in China on Friday - albeit with a different ending, as local viewers discovered.

Minions: The Rise of Gru follows antihero Gru in his teenage days and sets up his evolution into a supervillain later in the series.

Warning: There are plot spoilers ahead.

But unlike the original movie, the Chinese version does not end with Gru and his mentor Wild Knuckles riding off into the sunset. Instead, Wild Knuckles is jailed while Gru "becomes one of the good guys".

Posts and screenshots of the film, shared on Chinese microblogging site Weibo, showed censors had added a series of subtitled still images into the credits sequence.

In it, they explain that Wild Knuckles was caught and locked up for 20 years after a failed heist. He also discovers a "love of acting" and sets up a theatrical troupe.
Gru, meanwhile, "returned to his family" and being a father to his three girls became his "biggest accomplishment".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-62642640

Back