• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

No Official Reports Of Puma Sightings In County Cork Despite Rumours

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
I'm going to Fountainstown for a week on 18 September and i'll keep an eye out for massive moggies.

Gardai say no official reports of 'Puma' sightings in county Cork despite growing rumours

Friday, September 07, 2018 - 11:30 AM
By Kyle Lehane

Despite growing rumours of a 'Puma' having been sighted in the Crosshaven / Fountainstown areas of Cork local Gardai have said they have not received any official reports.

In recent days the Neil Prendeville Show on Cork’s RedFM has been fielding calls about unconfirmed sightings of a Puma/Cougar type animal in the Fountainstown/ Crosshaven areas of Cork.

Local animal welfare group, CSPCA, say they have received six credible sightings over the past nine days however Gardai in Crosshaven and Togher told the show that they have not had reports of any such sightings at this point.

Speaking this morning Vincent Cashman from the CSPCA said the reports the group had been receiving were "too credible to ignore."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...unty-cork-despite-growing-rumours-867431.html

I'm not sure whether CSPCA has received additional reports adding weight to their assessment of 'credibility', but they're now gearing up to take action ...

Animal rescuers warn of possible cougar in Ireland
Animal rescuers in Ireland said they are setting traps after reports of mountain lion sightings in the countryside were deemed to be credible.

The Cork Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals said cougar sightings have been reported during the past two weeks in Fountainstown, Crosshaven and Togher, which are all located in County Cork.

Vincent Cashman of the CSPCA suggested the possible puma may have been an exotic pet that escaped or was abandoned.

"We've had no confirmation yet this is a puma but the people we have been dealing with are very credible -- it is a very large cat and the reports we've received have been too credible to ignore," Cashman told RTE's Morning Ireland radio program.

Witnesses described the cougar as the size of a Labrador retriever, but with a much longer tail.

The CSPCA said it has installed traps and trail cameras in the Cork area in the hopes of confirming or debunking the big cat sightings.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/0...ssible-cougar-in-Ireland/8161536585981/?sl=12

Oddly, I can't find any trace of my first posting to these boards - "A solitary paw tapping at the window". @EnolaGaia , one of your many talents is relocating lost threads. That thread describes an encounter which took place in County Cork, not a million miles away from Fota. Big cats were mooted as a possible explanation.

Oddly, I can't find any trace of my first posting to these boards - "A solitary paw tapping at the window". @EnolaGaia , one of your many talents is relocating lost threads. That thread describes an encounter which took place in County Cork, not a million miles away from Fota. Big cats were mooted as a possible explanation.

I can't find any trace of such a post. Are you certain about the particulars? When did you first post on FTMB?

I can't find any trace of such a post. Are you certain about the particulars? When did you first post on FTMB?
Unsure as to exactly when - I'd guess around 2014. I'm very sure of the particulars: my elder daughter remained in our car while the rest of us were visiting friends in County Cork. She later recounted seeing what she could best as a big paw, perhaps feline or simian, tapping the car windows on all sides in rapid succession. The thread was me trying to retell her account as best I could. I think I posted it in IHTM, although in fact IHT her.

Unsure as to exactly when - I'd guess around 2014. I'm very sure of the particulars: my elder daughter remained in our car while the rest of us were visiting friends in County Cork. She later recounted seeing what she could best as a big paw, perhaps feline or simian, tapping the car windows on all sides in rapid succession. The thread was me trying to retell her account as best I could. I think I posted it in IHTM, although in fact IHT her.
I remember that one!

Nope, no, nothin', nada, nichevo ... :dunno:

The forum database seems to have a record of only about 1/3 of your posts, dating back no farther than July 2014.
Have you ever posted under a different username?
Searching from outside yields nothing matching your clues (even without keying on 'Krepostnoi').

Nope, no, nothin', nada, nichevo ... :dunno:

The forum database seems to have a record of only about 1/3 of your posts, dating back no farther than July 2014.
Have you ever posted under a different username?
Searching from outside yields nothing matching your clues (even without keying on 'Krepostnoi').
I've always been Krepostnoi. Original, and still the best, although the competition is not intense. I did join and lurk for a while before I started posting, so I wouldn't be too taken aback by an apparent period of silence after my initial registration. So only 1/3 or so of my posts have been preserved? I'm genuinely quite demoralised about that :( Is it just me, or do you know of other people this has affected?

... So only 1/3 or so of my posts have been preserved? I'm genuinely quite demoralised about that :( Is it just me, or do you know of other people this has affected?

The forum database seems to index only a portion of your total post count. Whether this means the posts themselves are MIA is a different issue.

During past FTMB software migrations there have been instances of 'carnage', and some of the affected items were posts and / or threads.

It might simply mean that the database has lost the links between a lot of posts you made and your username - in which case any such post would probably be attributed to 'Anonymous' if it survives at all.

Hang on.

adlvxz3afnbx.gif

A Solitary Paw Tapping On The Windows:
http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/a-solitary-paw-tapping-on-the-windows.55765/

It is only necessary to look around us to be convinced that, though everything perishes, nothing is lost.

Last edited:

I was just reading that one before I came here! http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/a-solitary-paw-tapping-on-the-windows.55765/

EDIT: Darn it, Yithian beat me to it.

Me and my family used to see a big white cat when I was younger. We would see it walking along the outside of a wood near the house some distance away.

Never did figure out what it was but it definitely walked like a cat and was that sort of shape, and must've been quite big.

Back