• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Re: Ilkey Moor alien colour photo

August Verango said:
Don't think these links have been posted before. I've finally found a decently sized jpeg of the Ilkley Moor alien and also the original colour version. They're both here:

100megs13.com/htm/ilkleymoorpics.htm

There is also a detailed page about the case on the same site here:

100megs13.com/htm/ilkleymoor.htm

I'd never seen the colour version before, just the B+W one - looks even weirder:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
It was mentioned in this thread earlier (one of the links that doesn't seem to work anymore) that the Ilkley Moor alien pic was very like the 'Devil' carving at Copgrove church.

I went to see the carving recently. It's so worn that it's almost impossible to see what it is! Good thing it's been moved inside the church... I reckon the weather has eroded it somewhat. It's very surprising how much it's been rendered almost illegible within a decade or so.

Anyways, the image appears to have been reversed to fit the alien pic.

Apart from that, it's quite a nice match.

Edit: Here's a pic of the comparison that August Verango posted. Hope he don't mind me re-posting it!

ilkey_alien_comparison.jpg

Attachments

• ilkey_alien_comparison.jpg
    ilkey_alien_comparison.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 10
Here is the original as it is now, inside the church to stop weathering.

CopyofNEWalk010.jpg

As you can see it is reversed in the comparison pic. the 'tau cross' (or labrys or whatever it is) is on the left.

CopyofNEWalk012.jpg

They are quite similar....and a great close-up on the alien...

I've already recently posted a weird photo on this website that actually wasn't!

Tonight I thought I'd found another - a mysterious pale yellow beam of light with no obvious cause - or was it perhaps a 'rod'?

Finally I realised it was a yellow line painted on a boat park - although there were other yellow lines there, they didn't show up well due to lighting and camera angles!

I've also recently come across another example of of 'wonky horizon', where a person appears upright but the horizon is definitely 'off'. But on rotating the pic to level the horizon, the person still appears upright!

(See the Cumberland Spaceman thread for more on this phenomenon.)

Worrying.....

Of all the supposedly paranormal photos (of all types) that I looked at over the last twently odd years, when I first picked up the old 'Unexplained' magazine, none of them has really had any kind of lasting effect on me. Except for this one, this is the one that I have always felt somehow disturbing.

I don't know why, and it's for no reason that I can put my figure on, but even now a feeling of unease creeps over me, the more so the greater the enlargement of the picture.

I honestly can't even say it looks particularly convincing as a real living creature, the limbs are too ill defined and caught in the rest of the picture clutter. Sorry, but all I can say is this thing in the photo spooks me!

^ ^ Yeah. Its hips are strange. Its carrying an object in its left hand. And it may have clawed feet, or very long toes. It looks demonic to me. Reminds me of another photo supposedly genuine (and decent quality) of a demon in a haunted house.

Human_84 said:
^ ^ Yeah. Its hips are strange. Its carrying an object in its left hand. And it may have clawed feet, or very long toes. It looks demonic to me. Reminds me of another photo supposedly genuine (and decent quality) of a demon in a haunted house.

You mean this one?
Link is dead. No clues as to possible archived version.

No,

This...

link
Link is dead. No clues as to possible alternate or archived version.

edited: created hyperlink to stop page break- Quixote

You know what the original Ilkley Moor picture looks like to me? An ET (as in the movie ET) toy, propped next to a rock, and photographed at a distance to avoid too much detail showing up. 8)

I've always thought it looked like the alien from ET too.

Keyser Soze said:
You know what the original Ilkley Moor picture looks like to me? An ET (as in the movie ET) toy, propped next to a rock, and photographed at a distance to avoid too much detail showing up. 8)

Nailed it - that's almost certainly what it is. If not an ET toy, then something similar.

ET

Yes, something similar rather than an actual 'ET' model. IIRC ET had only short stubby legs. More like oversized feet than anything.

Here is a full account of the Ilkley Moor abduction case via hypnotic regression....

VERY INTERESTING!!!.......

http://ufocasebook.com/ilkleymoor2.html

AG ....his hands are enormous. And his arms are long. He's got funny feet.

JS Funny feet?

AG They're like a V shape like two big toes. Must be difficult to walk like that. He shuffles rather than walks. I don't feel afraid of him although he looks odd.

Re the above report.

..There was silence now. When he saw nothing else of the being or its craft, he began to walk to the nearest village. This walk took about 30 minutes, and during this time, a couple of things became apparent to him. First of all, his compass now pointed south instead of north, and secondly, the village clock showed the time an hour ahead of his...

Does anyone know which village he is referring to ?

INT21

The Ilkley moor pic is strange, only one photo. Tow pics with the alien in different arm/leg positions would be more convincing. But even that cold be just as easily faked.

Re the above report.

..There was silence now. When he saw nothing else of the being or its craft, he began to walk to the nearest village. This walk took about 30 minutes, and during this time, a couple of things became apparent to him. First of all, his compass now pointed south instead of north, and secondly, the village clock showed the time an hour ahead of his...

Does anyone know which village he is referring to ?

INT21
Err...would't that be Ilkley itself...?

Dr wu,

...Err...would't that be Ilkley itself...

Probably not. Ilkley is a town, not a village.

I ask about this because I live in the area and am quite conversant with it.
I also was part of a team that investigated a ufo claim on the moor.

INT21

Dr wu,

...Err...would't that be Ilkley itself...

Probably not. Ilkley is a town, not a village.

I ask about this because I live in the area and am quite conversant with it.
I also was part of a team that investigated a ufo claim on the moor.

INT21
Does the name of the village matter regarding the sighting? This was in 1987...31 years ago.

I remember two ufologists on Clive Anderson's Channel 4 chat show in the 90s showing the Ilkley Moor photo, and the audience howled with laughter.

Dr wu,

...Does the name of the village matter regarding the sighting? This was in 1987...31 years ago...

It does indeed matter. It is all part of the investigation. With an Ordnance Survey map of the area and a bit of common sense it is possible to check if the case is even possible.
Things like 'where did he start his walk, what route did he take etc'

There is reference to a clock. The villages in the area don't change much compared with the town centres.

I must try and find the YUFOS reference to this case.

Maybe Jayceedove can show some light on it ?

As for the 31 years. How old are many of the cases that are still discussed ?

INT21

Dr wu,

...Does the name of the village matter regarding the sighting? This was in 1987...31 years ago...

It does indeed matter. It is all part of the investigation. With an Ordnance Survey map of the area and a bit of common sense it is possible to check if the case is even possible.
Things like 'where did he start his walk, what route did he take etc'

There is reference to a clock. The villages in the area don't change much compared with the town centres.

I must try and find the YUFOS reference to this case.

Maybe Jayceedove can show some light on it ?

As for the 31 years. How old are many of the cases that are still discussed ?

INT21
You miss my point..I meant that did Ilkley become a town as it grew from a village over 31 years.....?
I have no idea how village vs town is done over there. But even so why would the village name be that important? It seems like the least important aspect of the whole case.

Last edited:
Dr wu,

...I meant that did Ilkley become a town as it grew from a village over 31 years.....?..

No, it has been pretty much the same size ever since I have known in. From the early fifties. It had grown a bit, but not much.

Clearly you haven't done any ufo investigating.

What happens usually is someone reports seeing something.
They give a brief description of the area, why they were there etc. And, of course, they describe what they have seen.

And it could all be made up.

So one has to start dissecting the statements to see if it is even possible.

How else can you verify the thing they are reporting.

Ilkley is a dormitory town for Leeds. and is a rather upper class place. lots of expensive houses etc. It does have a very small amount of light industry. but relies on tourism and it's lido for income. there is a small council estate.
It has the well known (in England) 'Cow and Calf Rocks, and a lot of empty moorland. People have been known to die of exposure out there when they got lost in winter.
There is only one road that leads across Ilkley Moor, from Keighley, where I live, and it is not suitable for traffic. A deliberate act by the Ilkley council to deter people from driving across. You can just about get by in a land rover. I have crossed it by motor bike. There is a metaled road from the Keighley right up to the gate at the boundary.

There are a few footpaths.

It is a very old town, continually settled since the bronze age. Known to the Romans as Olicana.

So all this background matters when checking out what someone claims to have happened.

The guy mentions a village with a clock. Does such a clock exist ? Was it working on the day; (a Tuesday).

When and where did he get the pictures developed. Is this feasible. Back in 87 some shops still kept the old opening hours. Those that did would have been closed Tuesday afternoon.

All the details matter.

You could find the place on Google Earth. Just enter Ilkley, Yorkshire, UK.

INT21

^ Thanks for the clarification.....since you live near there...I'm curious...have you ever looked for that exact path that the small 'alien' was walking on in the picture? It would be fun just to have said ...heh, I walked on that very lane.
;)

There's something about this pic, always has been for me.

I'm 99.9999999999999% sure it is absolutely nothing...a simulacra or some such, a trick of the light playing oddly on something maybe. But, of all the paranormal photos I've ever seen...there's something about this one...

Dr wu,

...I meant that did Ilkley become a town as it grew from a village over 31 years.....?..

No, it has been pretty much the same size ever since I have known in. From the early fifties. It had grown a bit, but not much.

Clearly you haven't done any ufo investigating.

What happens usually is someone reports seeing something.
They give a brief description of the area, why they were there etc. And, of course, they describe what they have seen.

And it could all be made up.

So one has to start dissecting the statements to see if it is even possible.

How else can you verify the thing they are reporting.

Ilkley is a dormitory town for Leeds. and is a rather upper class place. lots of expensive houses etc. It does have a very small amount of light industry. but relies on tourism and it's lido for income. there is a small council estate.
It has the well known (in England) 'Cow and Calf Rocks, and a lot of empty moorland. People have been known to die of exposure out there when they got lost in winter.
There is only one road that leads across Ilkley Moor, from Keighley, where I live, and it is not suitable for traffic. A deliberate act by the Ilkley council to deter people from driving across. You can just about get by in a land rover. I have crossed it by motor bike. There is a metaled road from the Keighley right up to the gate at the boundary.

There are a few footpaths.

It is a very old town, continually settled since the bronze age. Known to the Romans as Olicana.

So all this background matters when checking out what someone claims to have happened.

The guy mentions a village with a clock. Does such a clock exist ? Was it working on the day; (a Tuesday).

When and where did he get the pictures developed. Is this feasible. Back in 87 some shops still kept the old opening hours. Those that did would have been closed Tuesday afternoon.

All the details matter.

You could find the place on Google Earth. Just enter Ilkley, Yorkshire, UK.

INT21
I lived close to Ilkley Moor for a couple of decades. The only place that would fit the "village" description I can think of is East Morton on the edge of the moor. There was a clock on the memorial hall there but a quick squint on Streetview shows it has been removed although you can see where it was.

PeteS,

East Morton would appear to be the best bet if he walked back via the Keighley side of the moor.

I'm going to have to look up the case again and delve into it. The first thing to do is find out more about the clock.

Dr wu,

No, I didn't bother with this case. But I did look into another case on the Ilkley side of the moor. The one I mentioned above.

It will be interesting to follow the route though.

INT21

..Just to clarify something - in a lot of recent literature, the witness/photographer is named as Alan Godfrey...

One has to wonder why Alan Godfrey, if it was the same one, would be wandering around this are when he was from Hebden Bridge/Todmorden area. Not far away, but a bit too far for a casual stroll. His claimed experience was in 1980.

INT21

Back