• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spellbound At The Ashmolean

Mrs Migs

Devoted Cultist
I did a search but couldn’t find anything about this, so thought I’d post, having been today.
https://www.ashmolean.org/spellbound

It’s an exhibition about witchcraft and superstition over the centuries, with some amazing stuff on show. Highlights included a crystal owned by Dr John Dee, a human heart in a lead casket, and a poppet from the early 20th century.
The highest of high points for me was a length of material that Helen Duncan had apparently used as “ectoplasm” in a seance held in the village where I went to school (strange coincidence thread, perhaps....?)
Well worth a look!

A lot of that stuff has come from the the Pitt Rivers museum. Whenever I’ve visited, I’ve always had a sneaky look through the drawers underneath the main exhibits.

A lot of that stuff has come from the the Pitt Rivers museum. Whenever I’ve visited, I’ve always had a sneaky look through the drawers underneath the main exhibits.
The Pitt Rivers is an astonishing museum. Though it does contain a lot of obviously cursed objects.

I wish I could see the show at the Ashmolean because it would be interesting to see a curated selection of that stuff.

thank you Mrs Migs :)

I'm down there for a birthday party and will be trying to go now!

The Ashmolean is one of my favourite places to visit, but never made it to Pitt Rivers. I feel another visit darn Sarf coming on.

A pity I can't just hop a concorde to Blighty and the Ashmolean like in the good ol' days.

Back