• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

..Read about this elsewhere, with a comment mentioning 'American exceptionalism'...

Does that mean it was an exceptionally stupid thing to do , particularly if you are American ?

INT21.

I inferred that the poster thought the couple died because they placed too much faith in the idea that just being American would keep them safe.

Bitcoin and Trump tweets :) :
irony1.jpg

irony2.jpg

And another one, also from the USA funnily enough...

North Carolina, possibly about to get hit by a massive hurricane, passed a law in 2012 banning policies based on the science of rising sea levels, and are carrying on building, building, building. I'm very fond of the phrase 'what could possibly go wrong?' and I think it's quite apt here...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ence-on-sea-levels-so-passed-a-law-against-it

Katie Hopkins, who once tweeted

The only thing people in debt have in common other than bad money management, is an ability to blame anyone but themselves.

has applied for an insolvency agreement in a bid to avoid bankruptcy following a costly libel case involving the food writer Jack Monroe.

She was ordered to pay hundreds of thousands of pounds in damages and legal costs after she sent tweets in 2015 which falsely implied Monroe backed the defacement of war memorials by protestors.

Monroe originally asked for Hopkins to apologise and donate £5,000 to a migrants’ charity or she would sue. But Hopkins – who had confused Monroe with the columnist Laurie Penny – refused to back down, resulting in a costly court case, with the commentator forced to pay £24,000 in damages and a substantially larger sum in legal costs.

Meanwhile, her mainstream media career collapsed. She parted ways with Mail Online, for whom she had written a regular column, in late 2017, only a few months after losing her LBC radio show when she called for a “final solution” in response to the Manchester Arena terrorist attack. She now works for the far-right Canadian outlet Rebel Media.

Hopkins, who has already had to sell her Devon home, applied for an individual voluntary arrangement (IVA) in May, a filing on the Individual Insolvency Register shows. Monroe told the Guardian that the agreement, which will allow Hopkins to avoid bankruptcy and manage the long-term repayment of her debts, was recently formally agreed following discussion with creditors.

Monroe said:

“My offer of a cup of tea still stands if she wants to talk about it. I don’t believe that anyone’s so far beyond redemption. Lots of people are celebrating but I’m not. I have to talk about it because if I don’t people will speculate on what I think. It’s a sad, lonely sort of anticlimax. It’s really crap and I feel really bad it’s all ended up like this. I thought she’d just say sorry.”

Details are a little thin, but if you're going to shoot a bear, try not to do it when the bear is above you and can fall on you and leave you in a critical condition. This is what happened to a hunter in Alaska. I have no sympathy for him, and that seems a fine example of karma too. I do hope he lives, and turns his back on hunting.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...jured-us-army-soldier-anchorage-a8563271.html

I have no sympathy for him, and that seems a fine example of karma...

Context:

a) Bear populations in Alaska are healthy and productive.

b) Bear hunting contributes a large amount in money and employment in Alaska. A bear hunt can cost the hunter $16,750.

c) Mr. McCormick is a soldier who has served his country for three years so far.

d) He has a wife and daughter.

You'll all be pleased to know that he's out of ICU and improving nicely.

maximus otter

Context:

b) Bear hunting contributes a large amount in money and employment in Alaska. A bear hunt can cost the hunter $16,750.

c) Mr. McCormick is a soldier who has served his country for three years so far.

maximus otter
I did actually say I hope he lives (but that he reconsiders hunting).

Context:

maximus otter

One of my heroes is Fred Bear. Actually met him once in 1977. Hunting a bear with a bow and arrow is serious stuff. I've never done it , or anything like it. But would have liked to try hunting to see if I could bring myself to do it. You never know when society might collapse and we need to eat whatever is handy. Irony content - well, consider the possibilities of hunting a Bear with a Bear brand bow used barebow. No cheating by using sights and such.

A trapper who was out in the wild with his wife and baby shot a bear which may have just killed them.

Fur Trapper Kills Grizzly Bear

On Monday afternoon, Mr. Roesholt had almost finished the return trek from his trapline to the family’s cabin when a grizzly bear appeared and charged him, the authorities said.

He pulled out a gun and killed the bear, but soon discovered a gruesome sight: Outside the cabin were the bodies of his wife, Valerie Theoret, 37, and their daughter, Adele Roesholt, who was 10 months old.

Back