• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

I have no idea whatsoever where to put this, except that this long webcomic graphic novelette thing details an interesting idea about forteanism: a university professor sets out to scientifically prove the existence of "anomolies" that might hint at, possibly, interrsecting parellel universes. (ie, suspecting that a building she has passed a thousand times might have "changed" in some inexplicably small way, which turns out to be one subtle tiny little change in the building fabric that apparently appeared overnight.) She asks the obvious things - is it a false memory? Can it be explained some other way? Is this normal for buildings, and with my having little architectural or building knowledge and never having looked this closely before, could I be mistaken? And does this happen all the time and gone un-noticed because nobody's really looked before? She sets out to find proof - and to speculate on what the implications are... a bit long winded and wordy (as the SubNormality series tends to be) but well worth a read. Not always fortean but what you might call the thinking person's webcomic...

http://www.viruscomix.com/page567.html

I also seem to remember The Karate Kid having a red sun headband but apparently he didn't ..

I also seem to remember The Karate Kid having a red sun headband but apparently he didn't ..

There was another character (the bully) who had a red headband, I seem to recall with my sieve-like memory.

There was another character (the bully) who had a red headband, I seem to recall with my sieve-like memory.
I don't remember him (the bully) having a red headband .. perhaps there's a red one worn by someone in one of the sequels ?

Lot's of pics of Cobra Kai wearing black headbands from the first film ..

https://www.google.com/search?q=cobra kai karate kid&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjbua6UhondAhXPTcAKHcwuDigQ_AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=662

edit: I think I might have solved this one .. Breakin' 2 also came out in '84, Turbo wears a red rising sun shirt as well as a white headband with what looks like red stripes .. people are muddling up the films and mis remembering again !

abreakdance2.jpg

Last edited:
some good real-life examples of Mandela Effect for those who don't believe it...

1. Dolly in the James Bond Moonraker had races, but now if you look at that clip again, her braces are gone.

2. Was there 4 or 6 seats in JFK's car when he was assassinated? There are very old photos and footages showing its 4 seats but there are also other high pixel photos showing its 6 seats.

3. Publishers clearing house says on its website that they never hired Ed Mcmahon, the guy that everyone remembers giving out publishers clearing house checks on TV!

(3:52) is the Ed mcmahon part

You guys must have more, welcome to add to the list.

So now planes `look different` too -it comes in about 12:14 in the video - but (yes, you've guessed it) they Were Always That Way...!

I'm going to risk sounding like a total ignoramus here but, anyway, I took a flight a few days ago and, yeah, the planes did look sort of wrong. The engines were somehow pushed too much in front of the wings. But more than that - there was the wings themselves. All the passenger jet wings had ends that were sort of twisrted so as to be pointing diagonally upwards. (I now know these to be called `winglets` - a word which is new to me too). Somehow I had never noticed this design feature - at least on passenger jets - before. Please tell me that it's new - otherwise I really will be discombobulated!

There must be some aeronautical boff or buff on here who can put us right on this!

Last edited:
The use of vertical / angled wingtip devices to control vortices and / or promote better lift actually dates back over a century.

I first saw them on exotic and experimental aircraft sometime in the 1970's.

I first saw them on commercial airliners in the mid- to late-1980's. It took years for them to become ubiquitous.

If you're talking about the ones with a curved (as opposed to angular) profile from the front / rear, I first encountered those variants starting in the very late 1990's or the 2000 / 2001 timeframe.

Was in the local branch of Timpson (timpson.co.uk) this week having a spare key cut.

Guy comes in to buy a nameplate for his front door.

Couldn't help but overhear him remarking, 'We just realised we didn't have one, but I thought we had one for years'.

Was it perchance that Henry S. Wellcome fellow?

From my childhood days, fondly remembered as Robbie the Robot.

Seems he never had a name at all.

Attachments

• Robot.jpg
    Robot.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 8
From my childhood days, fondly remembered as Robbie the Robot.

Seems he never had a name at all.

Robbie the Robot was the robot from the 1950s movie Forbidden Planet. The robot from Lost in Space (pictured) didn't have a name, they just called him Robot. To confuse matters, Robbie showed up as a baddie in Lost in Space, in scenes with the other, non-Robbie robot.

I thought I had seen somewhere that the turned up wing tips allowed for greater lift with a smaller wingspan. I think it was a "How do they do it?" type program which said that spaces at the terminal concourse are the same size as they have always been yet planes are getting bigger and wider. So they found a way of maintaining wingspan but allowing for greater lifting capacity.

Last edited:
The use of vertical / angled wingtip devices to control vortices and / or promote better lift actually dates back over a century.

I first saw them on exotic and experimental aircraft sometime in the 1970's.

I first saw them on commercial airliners in the mid- to late-1980's. It took years for them to become ubiquitous.

If you're talking about the ones with a curved (as opposed to angular) profile from the front / rear, I first encountered those variants starting in the very late 1990's or the 2000 / 2001 timeframe.

We watched a programme about early flight and learned that many fatalities occurred before ailerons were developed. What genius came up with those!

We watched a programme about early flight and learned that many fatalities occurred before ailerons were developed. What genius came up with those!
The British scientist Matthew Piers Watt Boulton, apparently.

...the turned up wing tips allowed for greater lift with a smaller wingspan.

The secret Soviet Ekranoplan program employed a different vortex-reduction trick. Those huge seaplanes copied the tactic used by sea-skimming birds: By keeping low and just above the surface of the sea, drag-inducing vortices beneath the wings didn’t have the space to form, so the Ekranoplan could travel farther, carrying greater load, and more economically.

maximus otter

Okay, so that's sorted the winglet matter out - and thank god for that! - but there remains the problem of the `new` engine position. I mean those cone shaped parts that have propellers or something in - a lot oi us think that they should be tucked under the wings - but now they seem to have been pushed forward, almost to the point where it looks as if the plane might topple over. (See post shared on 459 for more specifics on this). Is that a new feature too?

See, apropos nothing I was looking up Linda Hamilton and was utterly sure she'd died some years ago, but apparently not...weird.

See, apropos nothing I was looking up Linda Hamilton and was utterly sure she'd died some years ago, but apparently not...weird.

She did have some serious health problems, but recovered and she'll be in the new Terminator movie (yes, another one).

She did have some serious health problems, but recovered and she'll be in the new Terminator movie (yes, another one).
So I gather, which seems like a good thing to me.

Robbie the Robot was the robot from the 1950s movie Forbidden Planet. The robot from Lost in Space (pictured) didn't have a name, they just called him Robot. To confuse matters, Robbie showed up as a baddie in Lost in Space, in scenes with the other, non-Robbie robot.
You have got to be kidding! Amazing!

I have a lot to do today and so I'm obviously surfing Youtube instead. I just got sucked into a Mandela vortex and lost 90 minutes of my life. People claiming that the number of seats in JFK's limo have changed, movie quotes have been altered, scenes from the Matrix are missing etc.

I'm not sure what to think. Time for lunch.

I am having to fight NOT to create a false memory.

Years ago, when I was small, my dad used to go away on the odd training course. He'd come back a couple of days later, bringing presents (said course was in London). Now, after his death, I imagined (and I know it was an imagining) reminiscing with my mum about these trips and her saying 'well, of course, we all know where he was going really don't we?' God knows why I thought this, my dad was the least likely person in the world to have gone off for any kind of 'jolly' and the training courses were definitely real, as far as I know.

But the urge for this 'imagining' to become a real memory is very very strong. I keep having to reassure myself that it was me, telling myself a mental story (I'm an author, we do this kind of thing all the time, the 'what ifs' are what books are based on) and NOT REAL. In fact, I'm putting this here so that if my mind starts to slide, I have definite proof that this is a false memory. Or not even a memory, but something I created myself and almost 'implanted' in my own head.

Hard to explain, but I know it's not real. For now.

Back