• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bricks, Dung, Sharks & Unmade Beds: The World Of 'Modern Art'

I'll sell tickets for that. :p

If we could find a third-party arse and some way of attaching micro LEDs to wasps, l reckon we could clear up here.

lf they can get a telly series out of My Cat from Hell and My 600lb. Life, l think that we could rehabilitate recently-disgraced Ant McPartlin by filming him filling his colon with venomous insects for charity. We can even get a cheap laugh out of his name: “Ant vs. Wasps”!

All we need now is a Patreon deal or a few millionaire angels and “Pro-Celebrity Rectum Infestation” is a go. Even if Ant’s nipsy does end up looking like a dragon’s nostril.

maximus otter

Last edited:
All we need now is a Patreon deal or a few millionaire angels and “Pro-Celebrity Rectum Infestation” is a go. Even if Ant’s nipsy does end up looking like a dragon’s nostril.
You have such a way with words.

Fiery fish

In 1997, South Korean artist Lee Bul's "Majestic Splendor," an installation of bedazzled rotting fish, was removed from New York's MoMA because the stink was too much for visitors. To prevent the odor problem from interfering with Bul's new retrospective at London's Hayward Gallery, he put the fish in potassium permanganate. Of course, potassium permanganate is frequently used as a firestarter and can easily lead to a blaze when combined with tiny amounts of other common chemicals. From Frieze:

On receiving advice, the gallery decided to withdraw the artwork, but it spontaneously combusted mid-removal.

‘Following expert advice regarding the materials used in Lee Bul’s Majestic Splendor we took the decision, along with the artist, to remove the artwork from the exhibition. During the de-installation, a small fire broke out and the fire service attended,’ a spokesperson for the Hayward told frieze.

https://boingboing.net/2018/06/04/art-opening-delayed-after-rott.html

Cristiano Ronaldo bust sculptor defends his bizarre design - 'Even Jesus did not please everyone
124632319_REUTERS_A-bust-of-Cristiano-Ronaldo-is-seen-before-the-ceremony-to-rename-Funchal-Airp-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

Emanuel Santos' work was subjected to widespread online ridicule ...

News update ... The oft-mocked Ronaldo bust has been replaced, setting off another round of debate ...

Cristiano Ronaldo: Mocked statue at Madeira airport is replaced

... A statue of Cristiano Ronaldo that was widely mocked and left football fans scratching their heads has been replaced.

The bronze bust of the Real Madrid and Portugal forward went viral with people questioning its resemblance to the player, after it was placed on display at Madeira airport last year.

Some compared its likeness to former Republic of Ireland captain Niall Quinn, but sculptor Emanuel Santos said his work was just "a matter of taste".

The airport has replaced his original effort with a bust that boasts a greater likeness to Ronaldo.

According to Madeira Island News, Ronaldo's family made the request for the replacement through the CR7 Museum, which is based on the Portuguese island. ...

But the change has not gone down well with everyone and a petition has been started to bring the old sculpture back.

"The bust is more an attraction for our island today and we can not accept in any way its replacement," the petition says.

SOURCE: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44518595

Londoners - 1500 pigeons with leds to be released at night

Happening 21 - 23 June in Thamesmead, which is where some of the outdoor scenes for A Clockwork Orange were filmed I think.

Duke Riley’s epic outdoor work will see over 1500 LED-lit pigeons soar into the skies above the River Thames in a glorious spectacle of unprecedented scale and beauty.

A quote from the NYT about a previous New York show

'THE BIRDS’ PERFORMANCE WAS A REVELATION, A TOUCHING UNITY OF HUMAN AND ANIMAL BEHAVIOUR, WITH SKY, WATER AND THE CITY.'

Whether John Shuttleworth will be performing the theme tune to the event I'm not sure.

Now that's more like it - small birds playing electric guitars.

I thought this was rather good--I like the spirit.

With arms spread out, face toward the sky, the latest work by American artist KAWS is a picture of relaxation. And from today, this 92-foot-long (28 meters) inflatable can be found reclining on the placid surface of Seoul's Seokchon Lake.

The new installation is the artist's largest work to date. It features one of his signature characters, Companion, who will spend the next month atop the 15-foot-deep waters before embarking on a world tour.

Seokchon Lake, which is located in the South Korean capital's Songpa district, previously hosted the world-famous inflatable "Rubber Duck" on a tour of its waters in 2014.

"I just wanted to do a water piece," said KAWS, real name Brian Donnelly, in a phone interview. "I was just thinking about being on vacation, and when you just drift in a pool and stare upwards, and that's really the beginning of the work.

More, including gallery:
https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/kaws-holiday-seokchon-lake-seoul/index.html

Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 01.19.49.png

Would make a cool bouncy castle, too.

Should we start a betting pool on how soon somebody may attempt to put that to the test by dropping onto this installation (e.g., by jumping from a copter or a paraglider)?

I'd be more worried about someone puncturing it and the whole thing flying about going thpthpthpthpthpthpthpthpthppp…

Not sure where to put this,,,,huge Jeff Goldblum statue in London.....I didn't realize Brits were such a fan of Jeff.
;)
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-44875028
_102578509_tv048223614.jpg
I've never worked out how he's sexy but that's probably because I'm not gay .. I think the most sexed up Goldblum I'm aware of is of him in 'Earth Girls Are Easy' .. he smoulders his way all through that.

I've never worked out how he's sexy but that's probably because I'm not gay .. I think the most sexed up Goldblum I'm aware of is of him in 'Earth Girls Are Easy' .. he smoulders his way all through that.

I'm Bi and I don't think he's at all sexy.

I thought this was rather good--I like the spirit.

With arms spread out, face toward the sky, the latest work by American artist KAWS is a picture of relaxation. And from today, this 92-foot-long (28 meters) inflatable can be found reclining on the placid surface of Seoul's Seokchon Lake.

The new installation is the artist's largest work to date. It features one of his signature characters, Companion, who will spend the next month atop the 15-foot-deep waters before embarking on a world tour.

Seokchon Lake, which is located in the South Korean capital's Songpa district, previously hosted the world-famous inflatable "Rubber Duck" on a tour of its waters in 2014.

"I just wanted to do a water piece," said KAWS, real name Brian Donnelly, in a phone interview. "I was just thinking about being on vacation, and when you just drift in a pool and stare upwards, and that's really the beginning of the work.

More, including gallery:
https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/kaws-holiday-seokchon-lake-seoul/index.html

View attachment 10837

It looks like a drowned Mickey Mouse, with Xes for eyes, a skull face and deformed, withered ears.
And Mickey's exact outfit.

(Xes for eyes to me always meant dead, not "relaxing".)

Hacking China's Most Prestigious Art Competition

Some scamps have used neural networks to figure out what it takes to win a big art competition in China:

“Paint a young woman sitting in front of a window with a cow, enjoying a patch of sunshine.”

It puts me in mind of a similar prank: 'The most wanted painting', in which the artists polled people about their favourite aspects of paintings and made an average.

Here's the USA's most wanted:

most700.jpg

George Washington, deer, lakes and mountains.

I wouldn't want that painting.

If it had been raspberry jam I would call it art.

Two women who sat naked in Manchester city centre smeared in strawberry jam did so "in the name of art".

Startled crowds watched the pair as they wiped bread on each other and proceeded to eat it.

The sticky stunt in Market Street on Wednesday was an exercise in "artistic expression", according to Greater Manchester Police.

In a tweet, Insp John Middleton quipped: "I hope this isn't the start of a new craze that starts to spread."

Baffled pedestrians cracked jokes and speculated about the unusual lunchtime show on social media.

One tweeted: "Not every day u see two naked women rubbing jam over themselves in market street yeah."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-45805812

If it had been raspberry jam I would call it art.

Two women who sat naked in Manchester city centre smeared in strawberry jam did so "in the name of art".

Startled crowds watched the pair as they wiped bread on each other and proceeded to eat it.

The sticky stunt in Market Street on Wednesday was an exercise in "artistic expression", according to Greater Manchester Police.

In a tweet, Insp John Middleton quipped: "I hope this isn't the start of a new craze that starts to spread."

Baffled pedestrians cracked jokes and speculated about the unusual lunchtime show on social media.

One tweeted: "Not every day u see two naked women rubbing jam over themselves in market street yeah."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-45805812

All fun and games until the wasps turn up.

I've never worked out how he's sexy

not just sexy.... REALLY sexy!

and yes, he and Geena Davis make Earth Girls Are Easy one of my most watched films!

not just sexy.... REALLY sexy!

and yes, he and Geena Davis make Earth Girls Are Easy one of my most watched films!
I prefer Earth Girls Are Easy with Dan Akroyd .. and he had a pet dog in it called Dave. Best name ever for a dog. :)

Back