• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

You Look Just Like...

I been told I look like Boycie from only Fools, Blakey fron On The Buses and even Hitler!!!!!Reason is I have a moustache, very grey mind you but, with the Hitler reference, I have a very dark bit of moustache in the middle!!!!

I had a friend at uni, whose father bore a marked resemblance to AH, and even wore the same moustache and nobody could persuade him to either remove or grow it. What a moron he was.

I had a friend at uni, whose father bore a marked resemblance to AH, and even wore the same moustache and nobody could persuade him to either remove or grow it. What a moron he was.

Did he have a cat?

PSX_20181030_084134.jpg

As I've said before, I work in a shop so am well placed to see many many people. And I have concluded that there are only so many face/head shapes, hair styles, mouth and eye placements possible. So maybe some people judge on hairstyle ('oooh, you look like Meryl Streep' for example, because you have the same hair style) or 'ooh you look like Johnny Depp' because you have the same facial hair.

Some people look at eyes, some at mouths, some at face or head shape. So maybe that's why someone who doesn't really look like anyone in particular (except themselves, obviously) can be told they look like many other people.

My ex boss once told me I looked like Barbra Streisand because I'd had a very curly perm which matched her (then) hair. I do not, suffice it to say, look anything like Barbra. Other than having a huge honker.

The Mrs has hired a bloke at her place who looks like a young preacher Kain from POLTERGEIST 2 .. he's a nice enough bloke, he's just got this creepy grin. Every time we bump into him in town he's got that huge skeletal grin. The Mrs has told me he's also into horror films so I'd probably get on with him, perhaps I should stop singing "God is innn his holy templlllee" when we walk away, he might get the reference? ..

apoltergeist-kane.jpg

Other than that, I went through a phase of mistaking loads of middle aged brunette actresses for Linda Bellingham (she first came to fame playing a mother in a UK gravy advert) .. now if I mistake any actor for any other she just rolls her eyes and says "No .. it's Linda Bellingham."

Last edited:
Years ago, I was with my soon to be wife as she went for a job interview in a large government building in Sydney, Australia.
Her mother was with me as we waited for her interview to conclude. As it did she came from the elevator and joined us where we were sitting in the buildings lobby.
Getting up to leave, this guy and his two female companions came over to me and asked for my autograph. I told him he must have mistaken me for someone else, but he (and his friends) were quite insistent and asked me again. I then asked him who he thought I was and he told me the name of some American actor I'd never heard of, who'd starred in a movie about a champion cyclist who'd been diagnosed with cancer and then beaten the odds.
I assured him I wasn't who he thought I was, but he was certain I was pulling his leg. My Australian accent, for a start surely would have been a give away.
Nonetheless, after a few minutes of unsuccessfully trying to convince him otherwise, my future wife and mother in law also joining in, I signed his piece of paper with my real signature and off he went quite happily after they all shook my hand still convinced they had met whoever they thought I was. The who scenario was quite bizarre.
As this was in the 80's, we did subsequently find the movie he thought I'd been in on video and watched it. I looked nothing like the actor in question and the movie itself was quite shite to boot.
These days people I regularly gets asked if I'm Australian actor/comedian Shaun Micallef, though I look nothing like him either.

To be fair i'm quite prone to spotting likeness between other people and often pair friends on facebook with famous people by tracking down a photo that best proves the point. What i find is everyone can see other people's resemblances but never their own. Whereas with someone else you look at the overall appearance to judge similarity, when it comes to yourself you focus in on differences "He's nothing like me..he's got completely different ear lobes!" Of course when the alleged likeness is to someone generally feted as goodlooking people are lsss likely to kick up a fuss but are keen to repeat what they've been told to everyone they meet with the insincere caveat "..but I can't see it myself"

I've come to the conclusion over the years that a lot of people aren't particularly great at recognizing faces (I'm the exact opposite myself) and if you happen to look a bit generic or average you'll often get told you look like this or that person.

I've been likened to (when I was young) Elvis, Shakin'Stevens, Morrissey, Ray Liotta, and later much to my disappointment Tony Blair. That was a bad day for me. Of course these people have practically nothing in common visually except perhaps average features and prominent dark hair..so I think my theory stands. Also I haven't been compared to anyone else for years as my hair is mainly grey and less...erm less quiffy now..

I've come to the conclusion over the years that a lot of people aren't particularly great at recognizing faces (I'm the exact opposite myself) and if you happen to look a bit generic or average you'll often get told you look like this or that person.

I've been likened to (when I was young) Elvis, Shakin'Stevens, Morrissey, Ray Liotta, and later much to my disappointment Tony Blair. That was a bad day for me. Of course these people have practically nothing in common visually except perhaps average features and prominent dark hair..so I think my theory stands. Also I haven't been compared to anyone else for years as my hair is mainly grey and less...erm less quiffy now..
When I was 20, somebody said I looked like Shakin' Stevens - probably because I dressed exactly like this:
sjp_ech_121213master-011326JPG.jpg

You look like Patrick Bergin!

I've been told I look "just like" Traci Lords, but after taking a good look at her on film, I realize it's not so much her face but her hair, gestures and walk that look similar.
I presume you're aware of her earlier career work?

I was at university with a girl who kept a list of folk she was told she looked like, it was a short list, only four names on and I still remember them as they were so bizarre, they were Ed the Duck, Julie Andrews, Richard Stilgoe and a Sex pistols era Johnny Rotten. The weird thing is I could see were they coming from in each case.

My own list is also quite bizarre and extensive. I've been told I look like Gina McKee several times, Jennifer Saunders, Lis Sladen, the women in the Klimt painting who looks a bit like Gina McKee, Jenny Agutter but only in the Railway Children, Karen Carpenter, Kate Bush, Claudia Christian, Crystal Tipps, Mary from Mary , Mungo and Midge, Carrie Fisher, a brunette Mary Hopkin, a generic seventies folk singer, a young Vera Lynn, Sophie Grabol, Trigger from Only Fools, Jonathon Morris{Adrian from Bread} , David Cassidy and Richard Beckinsale.

I'm a women in my early forties.

A few small samples from my facebook album of friends and acquaintances and their celeb lookalikes. It's all about finding the right photo of each to bring out what the brain has identified.

P with George Lamb
upload_2018-10-30_22-30-20.png

M with Elvis
upload_2018-10-30_22-31-32.png

P with Groucho
upload_2018-10-30_22-34-28.png

G with the cartoon Stan Laurel..
upload_2018-10-30_22-35-41.png

To me, you are and always will be your av, Minny. It's the expression, not the appearance. The amount you've had to put up with. tut
Lol, well I DO look a bit like that, especially the hair!
I always thought you had a touch of Miranda Hart about you...
I am basically her (especially the awkwardness and the singing) but about a foot shorter..

Just remembered an incident from my late teens, coming home from school, just around the corner I passed a lady from the neighbourhood who I didn't personally recall having met before but politely assumed I must have done when she asked how my mum was etc. Then she started saying saying how handsome I'd become (can't fault her judgement), how I'd grown into such a goodlooking boy - basically she repeated several times her surprise and admiration at the transformation in me into the strapping young sexbomb you know today. I was simultaneously embarrassed but flattered ..until, without a pause, break, hestitation or change of tone she carried on her monologue seamlessly with a realisation and correction..."I'm getting you mixed up aren't ? I thought you were that Vietnamese boy".....

Yes, I can see how she might have been taken by the changes in me.

Back