• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

No, it doesn't.

You need to log out, flush all cookies and cache and log in again. You are being served a prior version of the page.

1) That's a new one! And I can't replicate it. I suspect it's part and parcel of the second problem.

2) Yes, that's the 'ghosting' we're all experiencing, but I just refresh, refresh until I get an updated version of the thread. Notifications are also an annoyance, you can't know if they're current or already seen/acknowledged.

I will wait until tonight and then send emails for an update on this matter.

Still returning to Forum front page when clicking on Mainstream News Stories. Only occurs on Android. Works fine on iPad.

I only found out about the forum death this morning as I haven't been around for a bit (work is hell since that GDPR came in). I was off sick (with stress) this morning and decided to read the mag, saw the message, felt even more stressed. Several hours later I felt the need to correspond with some humans (and those of you who identify as cats, snails, aliens etc) so went online, found out about the new board via Bacefook and logged in, feeling less stressed.

I had had no idea how much I valued the community here and all the interesting stories until this morning, even if I don't get to hang out here like I used to. Thanks so much for creating this lifeboat chaps and chappesses.

Hopefully being a bit late I've missed some of the teething problems but I'll know what to do if I have any. It's definitely not Excel 98 round here, looks very nice.

Thank you!

Just posted and edited and everything is working like a dream!

You picked the perfect time. It's only been like that since last night.

I'm already getting very used to this new user interface. Everything seems very smooth.

Zebs is in the house :) And a very nice looking house it is too - a thousand congratulations to all the moderators and technical people who made it possible. It's lovely to come back to.

I am not sure if it is related to the caching/refreshing problem (clearing cookies doesn't seem to have helped) but on Firefox you usually get a little icon at the top of the browser tab - mine still says FT. I thought I should mention it in case it is deemed to be a link to the mag.

Yes I can see this too - using Opera - tab shows the FT logo thus:

1542116322180.png

Zebs is in the house :) And a very nice looking house it is too - a thousand congratulations to all the moderators and technical people who made it possible. It's lovely to come back to.

Yes I can see this too - using Opera - tab shows the FT logo thus:

View attachment 12966

Have you tried unbookmarking the Fortean Times site / old message board and then restarting and re-bookmarking the new site?

Have you tried unbookmarking the Fortean Times site / old message board and then restarting and re-bookmarking the new site?

That won't have any effect on the obsolete FT favicon.

The old FT favicon was carried over to the new site during its initial setup as a temporary convenience. (We were, after all, in a hurry ... )

A new favicon for the new forum is still a 'to do' item.

That won't have any effect on the obsolete FT favicon.

The old FT favicon was carried over to the new site during its initial setup as a temporary convenience. (We were, after all, in a hurry ... )

A new favicon for the new forum is still a 'to do' item.

I don't have one!

I've just tried clearing all cookies on my browser, making sure old FT site wasn't bookmarked, restarted browser.

Still same I'm afraid,

EDIT Sorry, replied before I saw EnolaGaia's post. As long as it's a known issue that's fine then :) as you were.

I don't have one!

Yith: Do you mean:

- you see favicons generally, but not this one,
- you don't see this or any other favicons, or ...
- you don't have a new favicon concept / design to nominate?

Yith: Do you mean:

- you see favicons generally, but not this one,
- you don't see this or any other favicons, or ...
- you don't have a new favicon concept / design to nominate?

Correction.

I generally see favicons until I open the wrong browser (safari instead of chrome), forget which one I'm using and post misleading information on a technical help even though I'm a moderator and am supposed to have some idea of what I'm doing on the Internet.

Pretend you didn't read any of this, ok?

Just want to echo everyone's profound thanks for all the hard work. When I worr a programmer, I baby-sat a lot of software implementations in the days of yore, but it was all primeval, antediluvian mainframe, banking stuff. I know nothink of this new-fangled Internet tech, so I am utterly gobsmacked at how quickly and smoothly it all went. Very, very well done, people.

Oh, and wolfie61 said: "we are no longer wandering around the ether, randomly muttering stuff to strangers...". Speak for yourself, mate.

Just want to echo everyone's profound thanks for all the hard work. When I worr a programmer, I baby-sat a lot of software implementations in the days of yore, but it was all primeval, antediluvian mainframe, banking stuff. I know nothink of this new-fangled Internet tech, so I am utterly gobsmacked at how quickly and smoothly it all went. Very, very well done, people.

Oh, and wolfie61 said: "we are no longer wandering around the ether, randomly muttering stuff to strangers...". Speak for yourself, mate.

Mr Whiteoak?

Mind if I tidy up? You've a trail of old accounts!

Mr Whiteoak?

Mind if I tidy up? You've a trail of old accounts!
I thought it was just the two. I guess most date from various forum upgrades. I know I opened this latest after Dennis Pub said to me "Farewell, be on your way," and I didn't want to try re-using the previous one with its dennis email address. Sometimes avoiding confusion merely creates more, so please feel free to tidy up (in your copious free time).

Oh, and no need for so much formality. Call me Ishmael...

Is there a way to filter out the 'Chat' forums everywhere, for example when viewing the 'New Posts' section, i.e. only giving you posts from the fortean boards?

I'm pretty sure there used to be, and I'm pretty sure I had it turned on.

Is there a way to filter out the 'Chat' forums everywhere, for example when viewing the 'New Posts' section, i.e. only giving you posts from the fortean boards?

Not that I know of, although we've long desired it.
Not personally, that is, but a number of users feel as you do.

I will investigate.

Glad you made it, by the way.

My guess is that you're remembering something you once could do before the forum switched over to the XenForo platform some years ago.

I cannot find any mention of a user-specifiable filtering control or setting that would yield the desired effect.

In both the previous and the current versions of XenForo, we (staff) can exclude an entire sub-forum (e.g., Chat) from having its most recent updates included in the New Posts listing. This is a global setting, and it would apply to everyone (i.e., no one could check for the latest Chat posts without going to the Chat sub-forum).

Are there any known issues with the different styles available at the bottom of the page? I quite like the one called XenBase, it puts orange highlights on the page which contrast nicely with the blue.
Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 18.30.53.png

You can use it if you wish, but we're not actively supporting it at this time.

I do see one issue with it ... Highlighted / secondary text gets rendered in a relatively pale orange color, which noticeably reduces its legibility against the white background.

You can use it if you wish, but we're not actively supporting it at this time.

I prefer the one known as 'Fortean Times' now anyway, which gives a header on the homepage of the CFI logo . The 'Default Style' has a Fortean Times Journal of Strange Phenomena header.

I prefer the one known as 'Fortean Times' now anyway, which gives a header on the homepage of the CFI logo . The 'Default Style' has a Fortean Times Journal of Strange Phenomena header.

We have just discovered these facts!

Legacy artefacts to be removed.

'Fortean Times' style has now been renamed 'Fortean Forum' style.

Hi All,

rev_dino checking in.

Please keep reporting any weird glitches or unexpected behaviour, and let us know if you have any questions.

The search function should work now, but let me know if you search for something and don't find what you expect.

In case anyone is interested, our new tech stack looks like this:
  1. The web server is a pretty standard LAMP stack running in Amazon's Cloud (AWS)
  2. All web requests are served via Cloudflare's word class CDN
  3. All our DNS and SSL magic happens at Cloudflare too
  4. System emails flow through an email service called Sparkpost
  5. Web stats are tracked with Google Analytics
I think that's it, but let me know if there any questions.

All of this is run by me, who is a professional DevOps Engineer based in Washington DC (although I'm originally from SE London), where I help run websites for a large non-profit.

Next up is resurrecting the CFI blogs!

Things seem to be working very well now that I've logged in with Firefox. I did as instructed yesterday, while using Chrome and it worked great for a while, then I had to go back to refreshing over and over. I'm not happy with my copy of Chrome for other reasons, so I'll just use Firefox on this site. The Chrome browser I have is the current one. The machine here is a new Windows 10 outfit, and with the exception of Chrome, it seems to be an all around improvement.

The place looks great! Thanks again.

You need to log out, flush all cookies and cache and log in again. You are being served a prior version of the page.

Did this and now if I click on 'Home' it takes me to the Forums page straight off - not sure what I am doing wrong - unless there isn't a 'Home' page?

The Home and Forums pages are the same thing. Sounds like you're fine now.

Thanks very much EnolaGaia. I think I'm just not used to the layout yet. :wide:

Back