• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

Some of the controls and procedural details for using them are different or in different locations because we've upgraded from XenForo 1.5 to XenForo 2.0.

Okay - thanks rev_dino and cheers for everything you've done / are doing here! :cool:

Is there a way to filter out the 'Chat' forums everywhere, for example when viewing the 'New Posts' section, i.e. only giving you posts from the fortean boards?
My guess is that you're remembering something you once could do before the forum switched over to the XenForo platform some years ago.
Yes. A long, long time ago we gave people the option of whether or not they wanted to see Chat. Quite a few didn't, so we removed it from their permissions list - that was on the old phpBB version though, so going back a way.

I think they do, but--again--you are seeing an earlier version of the list when the post hadn't been made.

In some forums there's 2 runs of topics in date order so the latest post may be some way down the list. I think the top list may have been 'stickies' in the old forum & there was a line underneath but in the new one it's a continuous list. It's hardly a major issue though.
Hi All,

rev_dino checking in.

Please keep reporting any weird glitches or unexpected behaviour, and let us know if you have any questions.

The search function should work now, but let me know if you search for something and don't find what you expect.

In case anyone is interested, our new tech stack looks like this:
  1. The web server is a pretty standard LAMP stack running in Amazon's Cloud (AWS)
  2. All web requests are served via Cloudflare's word class CDN
  3. All our DNS and SSL magic happens at Cloudflare too
  4. System emails flow through an email service called Sparkpost
  5. Web stats are tracked with Google Analytics
I think that's it, but let me know if there any questions.

All of this is run by me, who is a professional DevOps Engineer based in Washington DC (although I'm originally from SE London), where I help run websites for a large non-profit.

Next up is resurrecting the CFI blogs!

Many thanks rev for your hard work in developing & organising new premises which are fantastic & seemed a bit remote only weeks ago. The transition has been pretty seamless. A hearty doff of the cap sir. You will get your reward in heaven - it's a little club just off Pennsylvania Ave. Ask for Cindy.

Hi All,

rev_dino checking in.

Please keep reporting any weird glitches or unexpected behaviour, and let us know if you have any questions.

The search function should work now, but let me know if you search for something and don't find what you expect.

In case anyone is interested, our new tech stack looks like this:
  1. The web server is a pretty standard LAMP stack running in Amazon's Cloud (AWS)
  2. All web requests are served via Cloudflare's word class CDN
  3. All our DNS and SSL magic happens at Cloudflare too
  4. System emails flow through an email service called Sparkpost
  5. Web stats are tracked with Google Analytics
I think that's it, but let me know if there any questions.

All of this is run by me, who is a professional DevOps Engineer based in Washington DC (although I'm originally from SE London), where I help run websites for a large non-profit.

Next up is resurrecting the CFI blogs!

Many thanks rev for your hard work in developing & organising new premises which are splendid & seemed a bit remote only weeks ago. The transition has been pretty seamless. A hearty doff of the cap sir. You will get your reward in heaven - it's a little club just off Pennsylvania Ave. Ask for Cindy.

where is the equivalent of the recent posts link ?

The equivalent for the 'New Posts' link in the old FTMB header is the 'What's new' link in the current header on the main forum page. Like the old 'New Posts' link, this one is visible at the top of the page at the whole-forums, specific forum or section, and individual thread levels.

In some forums there's 2 runs of topics in date order so the latest post may be some way down the list. I think the top list may have been 'stickies' in the old forum & there was a line underneath but in the new one it's a continuous list. It's hardly a major issue though.

Please give me a forum name to check this. I presume you mean the first page of the forum.

The equivalent for the 'New Posts' link in the old FTMB header is the 'What's new' link in the current header on the main forum page. Like the old 'New Posts' link, this one is visible at the top of the page at the whole-forums, specific forum or section, and individual thread levels.
There was also a recent posts, that gave everything recently updated ... new posts listed only those updated since you last visited ?

Just barely got in. In Firefox I kept getting the homepage regardless of where I clicked, but using Internet Explorer finally let me in properly.

Just barely got in. In Firefox I kept getting the homepage regardless of where I clicked, but using Internet Explorer finally let me in properly.

Better late than never--and you've probably missed all the confusing glitches.

Could you have a click around and let me know whether you're experiencing any odd behaviour (from the board, not you)?

There was also a recent posts, that gave everything recently updated ... new posts listed only those updated since you last visited ?

The old pair of options available as two distinct selections were:

New Posts - Threads updated since your last recorded visit AND containing posts you have not yet 'read' (been shown).
Recent Posts - Threads most recently updated (regardless of your latest visit time and read / unread status).

Under the old scheme New Posts represented Recent Posts minus anything you'd already 'read' (been shown) and anything last updated prior to your last known visit.

In other words, New Posts was Recent Posts filtered with respect to two criteria.

You didn't even see the Recent Posts option until you'd already clicked New Posts. One click to see the filtered listing; two clicks to see the unfiltered listing.

The new version of XenForo has changed the selection 'logic' and merged the former two options into a combined 'What's New' selection that displays (by default) what Recent Posts did in the old version. Phrased another way, the new version flips the priority for the primary built-in option from (in old terms) New Posts to Recent Posts.

If you want a listing pre-filtered a la the old New Posts, click on the New Posts button located on the right-hand side of the main forum page above the right-hand sidebar. This gives you the option to emulate the old New Posts option with one click.

The filtering that differentiated New Posts from Recent Posts is available as a user-selected option that can be saved as a persistent preference if you use only the 'What's New' link in the standard header / masthead.

If the current listing displayed extends back earlier than your last known visit there will be a 'Filters' option presented in the toolbar at the top of the listing. Clicking on 'Filters' presents you with a list of filtering options. If you only wish to see 'unread' threads, click on 'Unread threads'. If you'd like this filtering to be applied whenever you click on 'What's New', select the 'Save as default' option on the drop-down menu.

The discretionary filtering options are also available when starting from 'New Posts', provided the listing extends farther back in time than your last known visit. It may require clicking the 'View more ...' listing control to achieve this state and make the 'Filters' link appear.

How about adding a FAVICON so it's easier to find the forum among all the TABs?

How about adding a FAVICON so it's easier to find the forum among all the TABs?

The need for a favicon is already on the lengthy 'to do' list.

Please give me a forum name to check this. I presume you mean the first page of the forum.

There's quite a few. Here's some that have 2 runs in date order:

The Human Condition

Conspiracy: General

Cryptozoology: General + Water Monsters

Earth Mysteries: The Land

There's others as well but I haven't listed them all.

There's quite a few. Here's some that have 2 runs in date order: ...

OK - I now understand what you're referring to ...

The difference is that the current layout doesn't insert a graphical line / separator clearly marking where the stickies end and the chronologically ordered listing of 'ordinary' threads begins.

The only visual cue you get for the stickies' segment is the little 'stick pin' icons to the right of the thread titles.

OK - I now understand what you're referring to ...

The difference is that the current layout doesn't insert a graphical line / separator clearly marking where the stickies end and the chronologically ordered listing of 'ordinary' threads begins.

The only visual cue you get for the stickies' segment is the little 'stick pin' icons to the right of the thread titles.

Yeah I twigged that after a while. Thanks.

I hate to be tedious, but log out, delete any cookies with the words Forean and xenforo, clear the cache 'privacy' and restart the browser completely (restart you device if unsure). Log in again and see.

Thank, yup. Will report back.

Reporting back: Much improved.

New posts still seem to very rarely not appear when I would expect them to but it's a very minor issue that I don't think is worth expending effort on.

Thank you for everything.

Better late than never--and you've probably missed all the confusing glitches.

Could you have a click around and let me know whether you're experiencing any odd behaviour (from the board, not you)?

Nothing seems to not be working, other than it not working with Firefox... so that seems to be solid, A#1 Duke of New York stuff!

Nothing seems to not be working, other than it not working with Firefox... so that seems to be solid, A#1 Duke of New York stuff!

I came to post that I am having no issues! never seen a transfer work so well. Tributes, plaudits and garlanded oxen to those responsible.

... The only visual cue you get for the stickies' segment is the little 'stick pin' icons to the right of the thread titles.

I've researched the possibilities for introducing a more prominent division between sticky and regular posts in a thread listing, found some tips on how it can be done, and PM'd our tech lead to request this be added to the 'to do' pile.

Anybody else experiencing the ghosting TOP OF PAGE arrow at bottom right?
Oop there it... oh it's gone.
No there it ... oh it's gone again. :ghunt:

Anybody else experiencing the ghosting TOP OF PAGE arrow at bottom right?
Oop there it... oh it's gone.
No there it ... oh it's gone again. :ghunt:

It's 'ghostly', but in a sense distinct from what we referred to as the 'ghosting issue' a few days ago.

The TOP arrow is a dynamic feature that appears and disappears under an oddball 'logic' that's related to the scroll bar.

As far as I can tell it only appears when you move 'up' on the page by either clicking within the scroll bar or manipulating the scroll bar slider.

It does not appear if you're moving 'down' the page.

It's like a miniature 'Igor' who appears out of nowhere to ask, "Eh-heh, Eh-heh, Mathter - would you like to go all the way?" once you've given any indication of moving upward.

IIt's like a miniature 'Igor' who appears out of nowhere to ask, "Eh-heh, Eh-heh, Mathter - would you like to go all the way?" once you've given any indication of moving upward.
Ever the contrarian, I immediately sought the equivalent-but-opposite Igor arrow that would take me from the top all the way to the bottom. Of course, none was forthcoming. Typical, I harrumphed, but then I recalled the "Jump to new" button, which is actually a much more useful function than the thing I was looking for.

Now then, what does *this* button do..?

Hello?....Hello? *bangs mike* is this thing on? *sound of feedback*
1) Good to see the board back up and running.
2) This is easily my most-visited site online.
3) Kudos to all the involved people who made this happen.
4) Suspect we need a virtual plaque in honour of those who made this happen or who have gone before...

Hello?....Hello? *bangs mike* is this thing on? *sound of feedback*
1) Good to see the board back up and running.
2) This is easily my most-visited site online.
3) Kudos to all the involved people who made this happen.
4) Suspect we need a virtual plaque in honour of those who made this happen or who have gone before...
You've got a mike? .. do some beatboxing!

Back