• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Electronic Influences By Ghosts Perhaps

One of two powerful experiences that I have had that go into the Fortean involved an electric sewing machine that my mother used.
It was manufactured in the 1950's and had a thick, block , Bakelite foot-pedal to control the motor: that being a foot pedal with an electric plug-in source.
I am ignorant of even basic electronics, and I mentioned the happening at the time, to only one person who was so informed of that science and he thought it strange, but that was about 20 years ago and I would like to enquire among you lot of people to see if anyone might give a fresh slant on what I experienced. Here is what actually occurred.
I was about 26 years old, and was at my parents house which was a large Edwardian, terraced dwelling in Glasgow. It was summery, and I was lying on the grass in the small garden at the back of the building, in the sunshine. Everybody in the household had gone out so that I knew I was alone.
In a non unconscious reverie I began to hear a sound. It was a strong, incessant, driven sound that I took to be the final rinse stage of the washing machine that was in the basement, former wash-house room of the big old property. It was not a mansion, but in Edwardian times in Glasgow,as elsewhere, there was a lot of wealth and many houses of the upper middle classes had paid,live-in help. This place had two maids living upstairs and one downstairs in the basement, near to the old wash room which had frosted and barred windows out onto the wee garden where I was.
We had a table-tennis room set up in what was the head maid's room, in the basement. In that basement there was a lavatory with a bath, the wash-room, and the entrance to cellar underneath the house.
I heard the sound and then realised that on walking past the washroom on my way out to the garden, I had seen the washing-machine's door was open and therefore no washing could have been in progress. That realisation perked me up from my doziness and I got up from the grass in some kind of intrigue. I went into the backdoor and immediately on the right was the wash-room, and I saw that the washing machine in there had its door open and so was not in use but still I heard the birling sound and followed it down the short corridor to where the table-tennis room was which was evidently where the noise was coming from. I stood at the door-way and heard what I heard; a full-speed whirling motor of the sewing machine that was set up on a table in the far corner of the room. When I walked in the noise stopped. My feelings that I felt I cannot recollect, only that I was a little entranced by the intrigue and not-rightness of it. After I had taken the situation in, I checked the plug at the wall and saw that it was switched on. I wondered if it was possible that the current could have jumped over the foot pedal switch and activated the sewing machine. I didn't have a clue about such things, and when I saw my friend who knew about such things a day or two later and explained what happened, he said that it was not possible that electricity could have jumped over the old foot-pedal and set the machine going round in the way I described to him. I took his word for it and it bolstered my apparent experience of the paranormal, but I have always wondered if there was a more obvious explanation of it and so I hope one of the readers might say something to add to the whole thing.

One of two powerful experiences that I have had that go into the Fortean involved an electric sewing machine that my mother used.
It was manufactured in the 1950's and had a thick, block , Bakelite foot-pedal to control the motor: that being a foot pedal with an electric plug-in source.
I am ignorant of even basic electronics, and I mentioned the happening at the time, to only one person who was so informed of that science and he thought it strange, but that was about 20 years ago and I would like to enquire among you lot of people to see if anyone might give a fresh slant on what I experienced. Here is what actually occurred.
I was about 26 years old, and was at my parents house which was a large Edwardian, terraced dwelling in Glasgow. It was summery, and I was lying on the grass in the small garden at the back of the building, in the sunshine. Everybody in the household had gone out so that I knew I was alone.
In a non unconscious reverie I began to hear a sound. It was a strong, incessant, driven sound that I took to be the final rinse stage of the washing machine that was in the basement, former wash-house room of the big old property. It was not a mansion, but in Edwardian times in Glasgow,as elsewhere, there was a lot of wealth and many houses of the upper middle classes had paid,live-in help. This place had two maids living upstairs and one downstairs in the basement, near to the old wash room which had frosted and barred windows out onto the wee garden where I was.
We had a table-tennis room set up in what was the head maid's room, in the basement. In that basement there was a lavatory with a bath, the wash-room, and the entrance to cellar underneath the house.
I heard the sound and then realised that on walking past the washroom on my way out to the garden, I had seen the washing-machine's door was open and therefore no washing could have been in progress. That realisation perked me up from my doziness and I got up from the grass in some kind of intrigue. I went into the backdoor and immediately on the right was the wash-room, and I saw that the washing machine in there had its door open and so was not in use but still I heard the birling sound and followed it down the short corridor to where the table-tennis room was which was evidently where the noise was coming from. I stood at the door-way and heard what I heard; a full-speed whirling motor of the sewing machine that was set up on a table in the far corner of the room. When I walked in the noise stopped. My feelings that I felt I cannot recollect, only that I was a little entranced by the intrigue and not-rightness of it. After I had taken the situation in, I checked the plug at the wall and saw that it was switched on. I wondered if it was possible that the current could have jumped over the foot pedal switch and activated the sewing machine. I didn't have a clue about such things, and when I saw my friend who knew about such things a day or two later and explained what happened, he said that it was not possible that electricity could have jumped over the old foot-pedal and set the machine going round in the way I described to him. I took his word for it and it bolstered my apparent experience of the paranormal, but I have always wondered if there was a more obvious explanation of it and so I hope one of the readers might say something to add to the whole thing.
Maybe the temperature difference between the summery day outside and the presumably colder basement could have affected the pedal mechanism somehow? .. I duuno? ..

So did actually see the sewing machine in action or just hear it? Also was it sat on wodden floor boards?

If the foot peddle was old the mechanism to turn the machine on is im guessing some sort of plate and coil system which may have failed. If there is little tension left in the coils then I would imagine the weight of the plate and outer case might be enough to set the machine off.

Possibly a partial short in the circuit in the foot peddle? This could mean that it can be jolted into action through vibration.

I ask if the floor was wooden as its possible that vibrations from your footfall could have switched the sewing machine off.

Did the washroom and table-tennis rooms have doors? You mention a doorway, but not the presence of doors or their state (open / closed) during the incident.

You mentioned hearing, but not seeing, the sewing machine sound. Were you standing outside a closed door, and did your entry (at which the sound stopped) correspond with opening a door?

I second Naughty Felid in wanting to know whether you actually observed the sewing machine operating. If not, did you touch it and feel warmth (or receive any other secondary cues) indicating it had been operating?

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

To answer some of the questions; I did not see the machine moving, it stopped when I entered the room and I wasn't even sure it was the machine making the noise in the first place, I didn't know it was there.
The door to this room was never really shut tight, always half open, half shut so I do not think the possible opening of it had any effect, nor standing on floorboards which were bare at the margins with the wall, old linoleum covering the greater part of the floor

Thanks for the technical questions, Naughty- Felid, appreciated as I am looking at it from that point of view. I do not know what the plate and coil system in electronics is. I looked on the internet but didn't understand what I read and the idea of the short circuit doesn't carry really because of the immediate cessation of the motor when I entered the room
The machine was set-up and working, used infrequently for whatever reason, whenever my mother needed.
The electronic possibility of malfunction of the machine is the crux of the mystery for me. However, I am open to other explanations - the evidence suggests it.
There was a lot of strong emotions in the household because of my brother's death in a motor bike accident two years before, and in the same year as this happening described , another odd experience occurred when I was staying at the house. It could be connected, but at the end of the day rationality rules for me, we can go no further than that.

Without knowing the specifics on the sewing machine (brand; model) it may be impossible to determine whether the sound you heard could have happened as you remember it.

My mother had a Singer sewing machine of early 1950's vintage with a foot pedal. It was similar to what you described - a relatively bulky box. This box was essentially featureless except for a protruding rubber stub that served as the push-down button for closing the switch inside and activating the sewing machine.

In the case of my mother's old Singer the foot switch was a two-stage momentary switch.

A momentary switch is one which is closed (i.e., in the 'on' position) for only as long as the switch's spring-loaded button (etc.) is physically pressed. If you release the pressure, the spring-loaded switch opens (i.e., moves back into its default 'off' position). Some machines of that era used plain momentary (not two-stage) switches, and this was the only way they functioned (the button had to be pressed down for the machine to operate, and releasing the pressure broke the circuit).

A two-stage such switch is one in which pressing the button beyond a certain point clicks the switch into a persistent closed ('on') position, from which it doesn't revert until you press the button to or beyond that threshold point again.

The two-stage arrangement allows one to activate the sewing machine in short bursts or turn it completely 'on' to run for longer periods.

In either case, the switch should not have been passing current to the machine's motor unless:

- something was physically pressing the switch down or ...
- something had shorted the switch (perhaps condensation inside the casing / box).

Having said that ... There's a simpler explanation that fits the facts you've provided so far ...

You were resting / semi-dozing outside. A cyclical electric motor sound started somewhere else (than the basement) in your family's house or outdoors out of sight - e.g., someone operating electric hedge clippers. According to your own description you associated the sound with the basement in a semi-awake state and based on memory of having noticed the washing machine's not being in use. You came out of your reverie state attributing the sound to the basement area and went to investigate. You could still hear it after checking the wash room and proceeded to the table tennis room following its apparent direction rather than knowledge the sewing machine was there. When you pushed that room's door open and entered the sound from elsewhere coincidentally stopped. The sewing machine you didn't know was in there was located there as a likely suspect, and you assumed it must have been the source of the sound.

"In a non unconscious reverie I began to hear a sound" - that seems to me like you were in a receptive state that allowed you to precieve beyond the every day reality.

I'd like to think you experienced someone else's happy memory from long ago...

My then cat persistently wanted to sit on the foot control of my first electric sewing machine. Which would set it off. Had to keep him out of the room.

It was slightly warmer and maybe the vibration was attractive? I'm thinking of all the cats on roomba vacuum cleaner videos.

I definitely prefer Scribbles's suggestion though!

"In a non unconscious reverie I began to hear a sound" - that seems to me like you were in a receptive state that allowed you to precieve beyond the every day reality.

I'd like to think you experienced someone else's happy memory from long ago...
I like the idea of that. It was the head maid's bedroom in the past. If it was a possibility of a ghost, I think it could be connected to that head maid, but what was she doing there? Does she not get bored! If we accept the possibility of ghosts we have to enquire into the sociology of the departed! Their psychology , do they have preferences? What are they doing? It is fascinating. In the few parapsychological departments in British universities they are still investigating the possibility of the paranormal and not the intricacies of it ie, still using ping-pong balls on the eyes and playing cards etc if they are not having their funding removed.

Without knowing the specifics on the sewing machine (brand; model) it may be impossible to determine whether the sound you heard could have happened as you remember it.

My mother had a Singer sewing machine of early 1950's vintage with a foot pedal. It was similar to what you described - a relatively bulky box. This box was essentially featureless except for a protruding rubber stub that served as the push-down button for closing the switch inside and activating the sewing machine.

In the case of my mother's old Singer the foot switch was a two-stage momentary switch.

A momentary switch is one which is closed (i.e., in the 'on' position) for only as long as the switch's spring-loaded button (etc.) is physically pressed. If you release the pressure, the spring-loaded switch opens (i.e., moves back into its default 'off' position). Some machines of that era used plain momentary (not two-stage) switches, and this was the only way they functioned (the button had to be pressed down for the machine to operate, and releasing the pressure broke the circuit).

A two-stage such switch is one in which pressing the button beyond a certain point clicks the switch into a persistent closed ('on') position, from which it doesn't revert until you press the button to or beyond that threshold point again.

The two-stage arrangement allows one to activate the sewing machine in short bursts or turn it completely 'on' to run for longer periods.

In either case, the switch should not have been passing current to the machine's motor unless:

- something was physically pressing the switch down or ...
- something had shorted the switch (perhaps condensation inside the casing / box).

Having said that ... There's a simpler explanation that fits the facts you've provided so far ...

You were resting / semi-dozing outside. A cyclical electric motor sound started somewhere else (than the basement) in your family's house or outdoors out of sight - e.g., someone operating electric hedge clippers. According to your own description you associated the sound with the basement in a semi-awake state and based on memory of having noticed the washing machine's not being in use. You came out of your reverie state attributing the sound to the basement area and went to investigate. You could still hear it after checking the wash room and proceeded to the table tennis room following its apparent direction rather than knowledge the sewing machine was there. When you pushed that room's door open and entered the sound from elsewhere coincidentally stopped. The sewing machine you didn't know was in there was located there as a likely suspect, and you assumed it must have been the source of the sound.

Thank-you for the information and response that I was hoping for.
The sewing machine foot pedal operated quite like a wah-wah pedal for a guitar, on a see-saw set up and not a push-down knob mechanism. When it was in use, my mother could put it in a kind of holding stage as she did something else like threading a needle, and the sound would be a low electronic humming until she pushed front-foot forward and it would then produce the whirling of the the wheel going round and followed by the cha cha cha of needle, thread and bobbing stitching away.

The comment " it may be impossible to determine whether the sound you heard could have happened as you remember it" is interesting.
Firstly, it is impossible to perfectly determine, by another individual, any subjective, heard-sound in any other one person, at any time. Secondly, my memory of that experience is remembered in my own way, however it was definite and obvious at the time and that sense of certainty resonates still 20 +years later, as sure as say war veterans remember their experiences as employees of war many years later. Who would doubt their experiences in all their acuity?
My reverie as mentioned, was not conscious depriving, it was in fact conscious awareness, not in supernatural terms but in sensory perception and knowing what was going on around my area of perceptibility, and so the coincidence of distant machinery tying into the sequence of observations does not strike true to me, thinking back on it.
I appreciated your technical attention to detail. Nothing was pressing down on the big , clunky pedal so as to make it operate. inside that unit something may have caused it to short-circuit although it still worked, as I tested the pedal at the time and then knew it was the sound I had heard - it still worked, was not shorted-out.

I'm grateful for the different view points and glad I joined the forum. It is still an experience open to explanation. Perhaps a spider crawled into the foot pedal box and upset something - the analysis is never ending. For me I think it was an anomalous, at odds with physics occurrence, where machinery was being influenced in unknown ways and a compos mentis man was witness to it. That what teases us and keeps us interested in this incredible subject.

Last edited:
As those who know me will know, I'm a bit of a sewing nut. Vintage machines especially are a probe to going off on their own... here's just one example and the reason for it. That's why you never change needles with a machine plugged in!

I'm inclined to think large scale machines 'doing' stuff' on their own is stored energy.

I frequently work on circuits that are dealing with micro-volts signals (that's 0.000001V) and often work with noise floors that are in the single figures of nV-root-hz. I've designed and worked with filter circuits so sensitive, that 'shot noise', the variance in the flow of current due to the irregular flow of electrons, produces spikes in current and voltages.

These things are so tiny, that if anything remotely supernatural was at work that could affect electrical circuits, I'd have spent my life watching that kind of circuitry's signals bouncing about all over the place. And I really haven't.

I like the idea of that. It was the head maid's bedroom in the past. If it was a possibility of a ghost, I think it could be connected to that head maid, but what was she doing there? Does she not get bored! If we accept the possibility of ghosts we have to enquire into the sociology of the departed! Their psychology , do they have preferences? What are they doing? It is fascinating. In the few parapsychological departments in British universities they are still investigating the possibility of the paranormal and not the intricacies of it ie, still using ping-pong balls on the eyes and playing cards etc if they are not having their funding removed.

In truth, I'm moving away from the idea of ghosts being the souls, or the essence, or however it can be termed of what may be left on earth after a person has died.

I like to think that just sometimes we are in sync with another person's experiences of the same place at another time.

For instance, me and my husband, and now children, have lived in this house for 19 years, which seems a long time, yet the house was here before I was born and will probably outlast me.

Let's say one day I find myself doing the washing-up, staring wistfully out of the window at the oak tree at the bottom of the garden, the radio playing my favourite song, and I'm feeling content with life and at peace. What if in the future, long after I'm turned to ash, another wife and mother in this same house is staring wistfully at the oak at the bottom of the garden, and suddenly thinks "why is someone in the kitchen doing the washing-up when we have a dishwasher? And what is that terrible music?"

Somehow our moods, thoughts, weather, psyche, who knows what, have synced across time.

Obviously, I have zero evidence for this. It's just a fancy of mine. But sometimes the idea of other people's memories of a place feels more real to me than the place itself.

As those who know me will know, I'm a bit of a sewing nut. Vintage machines especially are a probe to going off on their own... here's just one example and the reason for it. That's why you never change needles with a machine plugged in!
Thank you - that could be it, who knows? Did I ask my mother if she was having trouble with the machine at the time? I cannot remember.
That might be a new hobby for me to get into though!

In truth, I'm moving away from the idea of ghosts being the souls, or the essence, or however it can be termed of what may be left on earth after a person has died.

I like to think that just sometimes we are in sync with another person's experiences of the same place at another time.

For instance, me and my husband, and now children, have lived in this house for 19 years, which seems a long time, yet the house was here before I was born and will probably outlast me.

Let's say one day I find myself doing the washing-up, staring wistfully out of the window at the oak tree at the bottom of the garden, the radio playing my favourite song, and I'm feeling content with life and at peace. What if in the future, long after I'm turned to ash, another wife and mother in this same house is staring wistfully at the oak at the bottom of the garden, and suddenly thinks "why is someone in the kitchen doing the washing-up when we have a dishwasher? And what is that terrible music?"

Somehow our moods, thoughts, weather, psyche, who knows what, have synced across time.

Obviously, I have zero evidence for this. It's just a fancy of mine. But sometimes the idea of other people's memories of a place feels more real to me than the place itself.

Perhaps the idea of spectres of the departed lingering about in scary haunting mode has got a bit threadbare, and there are. it seems, more 'out there' ideas even than the original postulation of their happening.
I can't think of any particular one at the moment, but your mention is along those lines. As I wrote further up, parapsychology departments are still trying to establish whether ghosts exist, which will impede them in investigating more outlandish reasons for the, in my opinion, probable truth of their phenomenon.

Since you did not actually see the sewing machine running, was there any other evidence that it was running? Was there any material in the machine that showed evidence of recent stitching? If there was no material in the machine, was there any thread left on the machine? How long did you hear the noise? Was the machine warm?

Were there any other machines in the room or vicinity that might have been responsible for the noise?

Last edited:
Since you did not actually see the sewing machine running, was there any other evidence that it was the running? Was there any material in the machine that showed evidence of recent stitching? If there was no material in the machine, was there any thread left on the machine? How long did you hear the noise? Was the machine warm?

Were there any other machines in the room or vicinity that might have been responsible for the noise?
Since you did not actually see the sewing machine running, was there any other evidence that it was the running? Was there any material in the machine that showed evidence of recent stitching? If there was no material in the machine, was there any thread left on the machine? How long did you hear the noise? Was the machine warm?

The evidence that it was probably the sewing machine was that it sounded like it (no sarcasm intended). I wasn't sure until I realised that it was set up in the room the noise was coming from and when I went in it stopped immediately. I heard the noise, from when I first heard it in the garden to when I went into the room, for roughly 3-5 mins. I can remember basic details but alas things like whether I touched it or not to check for heat, which I think I would have done on inspection, or if there was thread in it ( I don't think there was as it was bare; no clothes or paraphernalia about) are a little hazy in the mists of Time. As mentioned before, there was no near or distant sounds , I recognised the sound as sure as knowing an aeroplane was up above if heard, once I had located it to the ping pong room.
Thanks for the questions, the value of it being analysed by different people is enlightening, reminding me that my subjectivity could be a false projection, all or part of the time, and like every fool I am sure of my experiences and their immutability.

Perhaps the idea of spectres of the departed lingering about in scary haunting mode has got a bit threadbare, and there are. it seems, more 'out there' ideas even than the original postulation of their happening.
I can't think of any particular one at the moment, but your mention is along those lines. As I wrote further up, parapsychology departments are still trying to establish whether ghosts exist, which will impede them in investigating more outlandish reasons for the, in my opinion, probable truth of their phenomenon.

Agree. The whole thing about trying to capture phenomenon like ghosts, or any other paranormal event, under lab conditions is just so utterly pointless.

Again, just my fancy, but I look at things this way. The material world around us, the things we can touch, smell, see, hear, taste, is but one aspect of reality. Ghosts, UFOs, Big Foot, Nessie, premonitions etc belong to another aspect of reality. An abstract reality which poets might call imagination, Priests might call miracles, Fortune Tellers might call another realm etc

Some people are naturally receptive to this other aspect of reality, it would seem. Others just happen to stumble into conditions in which phenomenon from the other aspect reveals itself.

Therefore there is no point in taking something from the abstract reality and testing it under conditions in the material reality. The abstract reality is nothing if it's not a mystery and it won't be proven, captured or recreated under test conditions.

Of course, should any sort of paranormal phenomena ever be recreated under test conditions, then I shall have to have a re-think!

Agree. The whole thing about trying to capture phenomenon like ghosts, or any other paranormal event, under lab conditions is just so utterly pointless.

Again, just my fancy, but I look at things this way. The material world around us, the things we can touch, smell, see, hear, taste, is but one aspect of reality. Ghosts, UFOs, Big Foot, Nessie, premonitions etc belong to another aspect of reality. An abstract reality which poets might call imagination, Priests might call miracles, Fortune Tellers might call another realm etc

Some people are naturally receptive to this other aspect of reality, it would seem. Others just happen to stumble into conditions in which phenomenon from the other aspect reveals itself.

Therefore there is no point in taking something from the abstract reality and testing it under conditions in the material reality. The abstract reality is nothing if it's not a mystery and it won't be proven, captured or recreated under test conditions.

Of course, should any sort of paranormal phenomena ever be recreated under test conditions, then I shall have to have a re-think!

Didn't that guy test his haunted lab and discovered Infrasound or did that just happen in the other universe I hang out in?

I used to think like this - that maybe my emotions could have left a trace in some of the places I lived in.

But that would mean that practically anywhere that had ever held teenagers (remember being a teenager? Remember that state of living with heightened emotions when everything was just so important and absolutely nobody understood?) ought to be haunted to hell.

I used to think like this - that maybe my emotions could have left a trace in some of the places I lived in.

But that would mean that practically anywhere that had ever held teenagers (remember being a teenager? Remember that state of living with heightened emotions when everything was just so important and absolutely nobody understood?) ought to be haunted to hell.

I think that's a different thing though, emotions having left a trace, to what I am saying. I'm talking about minds/psyches/thoughts/moods syncing across time.

I remember reading something where someone made a point that football stadiums will probably be extremely haunted in the future due to the standard heightened emotions. I'd imagine Hillsborough would be an interesting place to investigate but the loss of life of the fans is still too soon in the public memory for that to happen yet.

The infrasound idea was based mostly on Tandy's work and that is not in good shape after Braithwaite and Parsons.

https://www.academia.edu/1191555/Go...rience_has_Yet_to_be_Empirically_Demonstrated

https://www.academia.edu/3360897/INFRASOUND_AND_THE_PARANORMAL

The infrasound effect seems to be a personal one - some people are bothered by it more than others. The same goes for complex (or changing) electromagnetic fields. Ghost hunters drastically oversimplify these concepts but they are not conclusive as they assert, nor are they widely accepted as doing anything at all relating to ghostly experiences.

I think that's a different thing though, emotions having left a trace, to what I am saying. I'm talking about minds/psyches/thoughts/moods syncing across time.

This is a very appealing idea to many people. It shows up so often.

How would emotions leave a trace? There is no mechanism to send them, or material to record them, let alone play them back to certain people under particular conditions.

I remember the story but not the programme, {but it was some years ago}tryimg to explain hauntings or recordings of events in time. It was basically how some events have such an impact that they leave a trace of some description. The part of the programme I remember ,was the part which described how villagers in and around Normandy could hear the intense battle sounds of D-Day 40 years later.I remember thinking at the time. a number of veterans who fought there would were still alive and indeed some villagers themselves would still be alive who would have experienced it in the first instance. So could veterans that were still living in another country still be taking part in a battle 40 years previously?if you catch my drift!

Back