• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things As Food & Drink

They are still in business for now.

The Illinois Turkey Testicle Festival

Last edited:
How to make summer sausage with bear meat.

1. Shoot bear ..........

Where can I get bear meat?

New in the 7-11s of Hong Kong: Pringles flavoured noodles and noodle flavoured Pringles. For the terminally indecisive junk food fan.
wwi3t4857xy11.jpg

Anyone who's spent time with the travelling communities know there's nothing new about taking veg from supermarket skips to wash and cook, this bloke takes things quite a bit further and puts on cookery classes with more questionable ingredients ..

I used to live close to a large waitrose, we'd get some fairly luxury ingredients when skipping.
Fruit and veg fair enough, supermarket waste is obscene, we could get whole sacks of potatoes but I'd draw the line at lobster or any sea food or other perishable food for that matter .. and how does he know a person hadn't slipped drugs into one of those mostly drunk bottles of wine? .. or thrown up, had one last swig and then chucked it in the bin? .. his use of using lobster shells to boil down to make a sea food broth for the tuna is inspired though.

Fruit and veg fair enough, supermarket waste is obscene, we could get whole sacks of potatoes but I'd draw the line at lobster or any sea food or other perishable food for that matter
We used to get big bits of gammon with a £30+ RRP - suprisingly easy to get sick of.

We used to get big bits of gammon with a £30+ RRP - suprisingly easy to get sick of.
I wonder why supermarkets started locking their skips? .. perhaps well off customers were complaining or someone became ill and was cheeky enough to try and sue?

I wonder why supermarkets started locking their skips? .. perhaps well off customers were complaining or someone became ill and was cheeky enough to try and sue?
Because if you can take food for free from the rubbish, why would you buy it?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...pping-food-waste-supermarkets-dumpster-diving

In recent years some supermarkets have been giving away stuff to homeless charities, etc rather than binning it. My local one gives away all the unsold bread to a local horse charity.

It's obscene that food is thrown away because of "use by dates" when the food is perfectly fine to eat. Same with medications. Most solid pills last for years after the expiry date.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...pping-food-waste-supermarkets-dumpster-diving

In recent years some supermarkets have been giving away stuff to homeless charities, etc rather than binning it. My local one gives away all the unsold bread to a local horse charity.

It's obscene that food is thrown away because of "use by dates" when the food is perfectly fine to eat. Same with medications. Most solid pills last for years after the expiry date.
It seems like a no-brainer, but the 'problem' for supermarkets is that their margins are quite thin and any system that allows staff to mark food down for charity/colleagues/bargain hunters is immediately gamed by those who will nick anything (there's always a few). So straight away, some will mark stuff down at just the right time to enable them to collect it themselves as they finish their shift, or get a pal to do it or even mark down stuff which isn't 'out of date'.

If the door was opened on sending large amounts of food, fit for human consumption, to charitable institutions, some despicable low-lifes will figure out a way to intercept it and sell it for personal gain, or 'mark down' stuff for a charitable institution, for a backhander.

The supermarkets are often stuck between doing a good thing and letting some folk screw over their colleagues* or doing a good thing and implementing systems which cost them more money.

*Tesco, for example, give staff bonuses to all staff which are dependent on many things including profit of the store and 'shrinkage' which covers all 'vanished' stock including theft of goods. If someone nicks from Tesco, telling themselves it's a victim-less crime, they are literally stealing the bonus from the regular shop floor staff, whether they're on the same staff or some thieving low-life.

It seems like a no-brainer, but the 'problem' for supermarkets is that their margins are quite thin and any system that allows staff to mark food down for charity/colleagues/bargain hunters is immediately gamed by those who will nick anything (there's always a few). So straight away, some will mark stuff down at just the right time to enable them to collect it themselves as they finish their shift, or get a pal to do it or even mark down stuff which isn't 'out of date'.

If the door was opened on sending large amounts of food, fit for human consumption, to charitable institutions, some despicable low-lifes will figure out a way to intercept it and sell it for personal gain, or 'mark down' stuff for a charitable institution, for a backhander.

The supermarkets are often stuck between doing a good thing and letting some folk screw over their colleagues* or doing a good thing and implementing systems which cost them more money.

*Tesco, for example, give staff bonuses to all staff which are dependent on many things including profit of the store and 'shrinkage' which covers all 'vanished' stock including theft of goods. If someone nicks from Tesco, telling themselves it's a victim-less crime, they are literally stealing the bonus from the regular shop floor staff, whether they're on the same staff or some thieving low-life.

Agreed but it's going to have to change and fairly soon and I even think big corps are realizing this.

I watched Esther Rantzen (That's Life) get into a paddy over Supermarket policy of unwrapping cheese pieces, cutting off the hard edges and repackaging the soft bit with a new sell-by date. The horror was that these smaller, cheaper cheese were usually bought by Pensioners.
A Supermarket spokesperson tried in vain to explain that the cheese was fine, the sell-by date applied to the packaging (not the content) and the alternative was to throw good food away.
Surplus food cannot be just be given to charitable Institutions. Practically all Schools, Prisons, Hospitals, Universities and many Elderly Residence Homes are legally required to use an Approved Catering Service Company - I think there are two Suppliers in this country running everything.

I watched Esther Rantzen (That's Life) get into a paddy over Supermarket policy of unwrapping cheese pieces, cutting off the hard edges and repackaging the soft bit with a new sell-by date. The horror was that these smaller, cheaper cheese were usually bought by Pensioners.
A Supermarket spokesperson tried in vain to explain that the cheese was fine, the sell-by date applied to the packaging (not the content) and the alternative was to throw good food away.
Surplus food cannot be just be given to charitable Institutions. Practically all Schools, Prisons, Hospitals, Universities and many Elderly Residence Homes are legally required to use an Approved Catering Service Company - I think there are two Suppliers in this country running everything.

Re the Approved Catering Service Company policy - yup, one company supplies most of the country's prisons' porridge. You can smell it for miles.

Re the repackaging of cheese - this is done not a million miles from where I live. I know people who've done it and it's a revolting job, involving more than bit of shaving off the stale bits.

Some companies do this, for example Pret a Manger give their sandwiches to the homeless after closing time.

A quarter of a century ago when I attended NCT classes we were all urged to demand our placenta from the midwife and blend it up to make a pate, which we were to eat. I did not do this but a friend did, she was completely into this sort of thing. She assured me that it tasted great.
Self-cannibalism?

I remember seeing back in the late 80's in Bordeaux, at one of the big boulangerie-pâtisseries of the city and at its closing time, Gipsy women queuing up, as the staff were giving bread or pastries away. Very territorial, they chased a homeless man more or less sober, away from their 'patch'.

Where can I get bear meat?
Helsinki, Finland. My wife and I spent a few days there back in June of this year. It's bloody expensive though, with the cans of 100% bear meat selling for around 20 Euro. The pate' was cheaper at only around 12 Euro. I did ask about where it came from and was told it's the result of government culling programs. Supposedly it's an acquired taste too. At those prices I wasn't tempted enough to find out.
bearmeat.jpg

One of the hosts of the Radio Scotland programme Off the Ball has occasionally waxed lyrical about how nice half an orange with an oxo cube sprinkled over it tastes...

Has anyone actually tried this?

One of the hosts of the Radio Scotland programme Off the Ball has occasionally waxed lyrical about how nice half an orange with an oxo cube sprinkled over it tastes...

Has anyone actually tried this?
Easy to find out! I can imagine it being nice, an OXO cube is basically concentrated umami and an orange is nice, so why not?

Some companies do this, for example Pret a Manger give their sandwiches to the homeless after closing time.

M&S in Leeds donate their surplus bread to a charity in North Leeds that runs a cafe and various side projects in a deprived area.

Sometimes they get more than they use, in which case they pass their surplus on to homeless charitites in the city.

How about maggots for dinner? No? So how about this: maggots, but they're massive, and still alive?

Back